PDA

View Full Version : Advantage and halfling luck

Camman1984
2014-11-21, 02:31 AM
If I use the luck rule it says "must use the new roll"

What happens if I have advantage? For example I roll a skill check and get 1 and 12, the 12 might not pass so I re roll the 1 and get a 2. Does that mean I have to now use the 2 or can I still use the 12 that got if it passed?

Pramxnim
2014-11-21, 02:35 AM
The rules don't explicitly state what happens in this situation. You should ask your DM for a ruling. I personally would rule that you must replace your roll of 1 with 2, so now you've rolled 2 and 12 with advantage. Then, applying the rules for rolling with advantage, you'll use the higher number, i.e., 12 as the final result for your check. Does that make sense?

Slipperychicken
2014-11-21, 02:43 AM
I think that Lucky applies only to the "final" result, after advantage and disadvantage are considered.

Use the higher of the two rolls if you have advantage,
and use the lower roll if you have disadvantage. For example, if you have disadvantage and roll a 17 and
a 5, you use the 5. If you instead have advantage and roll
those numbers, you use the 17.

This language indicates that the number after advantage or disadvantage is the roll's result. That means lucky would act on that final number, instead of the intermediary ones used in advantage or disadvantage.

If you roll 1 and 12 with disadvantage, the 1 is your roll. so you get to reroll it. You take the reroll, even if it's higher than 12.

If you roll 1 and 12 with advantage, the 12 is your roll. You don't get to reroll it because it wasn't a natural 1.

If you roll two 1s with either advantage or disadvantage, your roll is a natural 1, so you get to reroll it. You roll 1d20 and use that as the die result.

Shadow
2014-11-21, 02:47 AM
When you get advantage you roll twice and use the higher (you don't choose, you take the higher), so you would have a 12 and lucky wouldn't apply.

edit:
Although Pram's reroll the 1 and compare the new result against the 12 would be a reasonable ruling.

Camman1984
2014-11-21, 03:24 AM
Thanks for that, I will show this too my gm and see which interpretation he wants to go for. I think it will likely be the lucky only applies on double natural 1 for advantage, but I will see what he thinks. The re roll the 1 and compare it to the 12 makes it potentially more useful to me (rogues should always find ways to have advantage imho).

Cheers for the quick responses

Easy_Lee
2014-11-21, 12:17 PM
A double natural 1 when rolling with adv/disadv ought to warrant a failure so spectacular it somehow turns into a win, IMO.

MadBear
2014-11-21, 02:23 PM
A double natural 1 when rolling with adv/disadv ought to warrant a failure so spectacular it somehow turns into a win, IMO.

Your arrow flies so far above the goblins head. He laughs at your pathetic attempt to hit his tiny dexterous body, and only at the last moment he wasn't the target after all. With a crash the chandelier comes crashing onto his head, as the arrow broke the rope that held it aloft the foul creatures head.