PDA

View Full Version : Dragon names

Cowboy_ninja
2007-03-24, 07:09 PM
i need help developnig a dragon name.

i do not have the draconomicon.

so if someone could please quote the name section of the draconomicon. or perhaps direct me to a really good name generator (preferably one where i have a say as to what the name sounds like/theme is instead of just clicking a button)

goat
2007-03-24, 07:23 PM
Call it Gavin.

Gavin the Dragon.

kamikasei
2007-03-24, 07:32 PM
Why do you need to "develop" the dragon name? If you don't have to generate an entire dragon clan's worth of names or something, just give us some criteria to work with and let us help you out. I'm pretty sure we're not allowed just post a chunk of a WotC book here.

goat
2007-03-24, 07:34 PM
Or Puff.

Puff the Dragon.

Have him really detest his parent for naming him that and insist that everyone calls him P. Drag.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-03-24, 07:34 PM
For names without reference, random generators like the Evil sounding name generator (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=evilsoundname) work pretty well. If nothing there appeals to your sense of draconic naming conventions, you could always reference something about the dragon in his name using another language. For instance, if your dragon is a high-level minion of some kind, Abdul-Aziz might be fitting. This site (www.behindthename.com) works fairly well for looking for that kind of thing.

Bouldering Jove
2007-03-24, 07:38 PM
Evil sounding name generator (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=evilsoundname)
"Ngrc?" :smallconfused: That thing can generate names without vowels.

Lemur
2007-03-24, 07:38 PM
Dragonar. The PCs will be in awe of your naming abilities.
Or Nglarthessix. It'll be so damn hard for your PCs (and probably you as well) to pronounce, they'll promptly assign him an appropriate nickname. Like Baconface.

Really though, I'm not sure accuracy is necessary when everything in a fantasy setting is made up in the first place. Just make up something that you think sounds... dragony.

Amiria
2007-03-24, 08:20 PM
Nizidramanii'yt

I haven't played Baldur's Gate 2 for years but that name has burned itself into my memory. It is the name of the black dragon that the party has to fight in that elven city.

marjan
2007-03-24, 09:30 PM
"Ngrc?" :smallconfused: That thing can generate names without vowels.

Vowels are for weaklings. :smallamused:
Realy tough men pronounce names like this without difficulty.

On topic: Yes in Baldur's Gate II they have realy good names for dragons but the only one I remember is Firkraag (I think this is how it is spelled).

The J Pizzel
2007-03-24, 09:32 PM
Wait, I've got it. Lets be real original. Take the word DRAGON, drop the D and add the letter E.

What?

Its been done before?

Oh. Tell Paolini that.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I like to name them in some weird relation to their color. Choose it's color, then take the element it represents and go from their. I'd give you an example but i'm too tired.

jp

ocato
2007-03-24, 09:36 PM
I like to generate names by picking things or people who remind me of the enemy and either using the name (if it's rare or uncommonly known) or messing with it a little. Who does the dragon remind you of? Anyone evil? I'm working on a campaign where the BBEG is an Illithid (actually an Ullithid, tomato-tomato) named Melquiades.
I can get away with that because my players won't recognize it. I chose it because it was fairly fitting. So who does your dragon make you think of?

Starsinger
2007-03-24, 09:47 PM
Like Sapphiron or Onyxia? :)

ocato
2007-03-24, 10:05 PM
If your party never heard of Onyxia, it'd sound pretty good. I got in trouble when I made my party fight Rosiodon and his companion Ell. Dragons is strong.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-24, 10:47 PM
Well, I think a lot of people would need more inforamtion before we can truly be helpful. What kind of cultural sound? Is it a Greek dragon (Xireinos)? A Chinese dragon (Gao-Tsing)? A Norse dragon (Nardjurn)? An Egyptian dragon (Lahakhmet)? An African dragon (Tuuwicaat)? An Indian dragon (Vamashuka)? An Olde English dragon (Seogred)? An Arabian dragon (Qalad-Sul)? A little linguistic directive would help us help you.

Also, how long is this name supposed to be? A short, simple evil name (Syorg)? Or a long, complex evil name (Phthirjactus'diabolos)?

Don't actually use that last one; it means "Hunting-Louse". :smallwink:

marjan
2007-03-24, 10:57 PM
Don't actually use that last one; it means "Hunting-Louse".
Wow, which language is that? I mean Phthirjactus'diabolos.

Neek
2007-03-24, 11:12 PM
A good name always comes from a good source: Laophonos, a Greek name which means People-Killer. Ahmaço, Aztec for "Lest (thou) not", i.e., "Lest not thou want to be eaten, get out." (For a White Dragon, Cehua, "It is cold.")

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-24, 11:32 PM
Dragonlance picks many of those names that sounds like really complicated versions of English words, then the Dragon's "Common" name is the actual English word.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-24, 11:47 PM
"Phthirjactus" & "Diabolos" are both Latin, as I recall.

Neek
2007-03-25, 12:28 AM
Phthirjactus seems like a combination of both Greek and Latin. I'd guess that phthir- is Greek. It might be from phtheir, which is a specific kind of bug or a worm that eats fruit (so a worm, in effect). Jactus would be from iacio, a Latin verb meaning to hurl or cast. Might be, "A casting worm," or worse, "A worm having been cast."

Diabolos is Greek through and through.

However, other cool Greek names: Phthisenor, Phthisimbrotos (both meaning, Man-killer in another sense). Also, very descriptive, Karkharodous (with sharp, jagged teeth). Add Kreion to make sure you want to call the dragon "lord" (Karkharodous kreion, Lord with Sharp, Jagged Teeth :D).

Zeta Kai
2007-03-25, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry, you're right, Neek. That is Greek. Brain go mushy after midnight.

Swordguy
2007-03-25, 01:22 AM
Go find Earthdawn supplements. The Book of Dragons was never released, and is available for PDF download on the net. It has an entire chapter on dragon naming conventions, and how a dragon's name grows throughout its lifetime. You players will NEVER have read it.

daggaz
2007-03-25, 09:00 AM
I always liked very long and impossible to spell/pronounce names for a dragons true name.

Chlorisithiaxichlarrithnidea....
Sax'xisfinniderreatriothe....

Bearofbadnews
2007-03-25, 09:03 AM
Anabibazon or Catabibazon.
The dragon's head and the dragon's tail... a little lunar astrology for the folks at home.

DaMullet
2007-03-25, 09:33 AM
Dragons don't deserve names. As a very wise man said once on the Wizards.com forums, "Dragons are just experience points in a lizard-shaped container."

kamikasei
2007-03-25, 10:08 AM
Dragons don't deserve names. As a very wise man said once on the Wizards.com forums, "Dragons are just experience points in a lizard-shaped container."

And as a dragon no doubt said shortly thereafter, "stupid makes the best seasoning".

Neo
2007-03-25, 10:31 AM
How about Trogdor the Burninator?

Cowboy_ninja
2007-03-26, 06:36 PM
sorry about not replying.

but if you gusy wanna help me come up with the name here is the criteria:

-black dragon
-has to rhyme with "lands" or "skies" (preferable lands)
-3 syllables

and while your at it see if you can come up with a city/metropolis name that:
-rhymes with gem/gems/ or jewels
-2 sylabbles

lol ! good luck :smallbiggrin:

AND THANKS!

kamikasei
2007-03-26, 06:46 PM
-black dragon
-3 syllables

"Ancalandis", after Ancalagon the Black (LotR)?

edit: Why the syllable limits? Dragons love their long names, yes they do... And, y'know, it's hard to make a good rhyme in only two or three syllables.

Samurai General
2007-03-26, 06:50 PM
Skalandis?
Skilord?
Ski...tin...dik...? Skitindik?:smallsigh:
Skittles....?Ooh!Ooh! And when you say "taste the rainbow!!" a giant lazer shoots out of his mouth!!:smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 06:53 PM
Aurumvorax. Toveaxdirupetara. Petranavienarautax. Beryllinthranox :smalltongue:. Solomirathius. Metsys.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-03-26, 07:17 PM
"Ancalandis", after Ancalagon the Black (LotR)?

edit: Why the syllable limits? Dragons love their long names, yes they do... And, y'know, it's hard to make a good rhyme in only two or three syllables.

why syllable? else the curse/poem/whatever wont flow right....

....i'll see if i can reword it a bit to give you guys more sylables to work with.

and just info:

- the city name is a human city so stick to human themes
- the dragon's theme is main theme is "greed" though you can through evil, death, black, or shadow in the mix if you want.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-26, 07:36 PM
-black dragon
-3 syllables

and while your at it see if you can come up with a city/metropolis name that:
-rhymes with gem/gems/ or jewels
-2 sylabbles

1) The Black Dragon: "Khalamans" (KAL-uh-MANZ) or "Tchoromais" (CHOR-oh-MIZE).

2) The City: "Manem" (MON-em), "Gilems" (gil-EMZ), or "Aruels" (ah-RULEZ).

There you go, free of charge. For now.

Raveler1
2007-03-26, 09:44 PM
It's been a while, but don't dragons usually have Elemental designators at the beginning of their name? So, Gold dragons would be Au', Silver dragons Si', etc. Or is that only metallic dragons? Chromatic would be somewhat different, I suppose...

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-26, 10:00 PM
What you need is lots of harsh syllables. And x's and z's, because they're Xtreme. And probably some y's too, since this is a fantasy. The longer the better, just seperate stuff with apostraphes. You should probably hide at least one word in there too, but it needs to be an awesome word that means serious business, like 'kill' or 'death', but misspell it to look kewl. Then give him a title at the the end, 'the _____'. Fill in the blank with his favorite way of killing people.

Example: Zygx'grzz'dethyx the Exploder

Aw yeah, he'd put some serious hurt on the PC's.

Starsinger
2007-03-26, 10:04 PM
And when you say "taste the rainbow!!" a giant lazer shoots out of his mouth!!:smallwink:

Funny... that's the Verbal Component I use for Prismatic Spray. :amused:

As for the dragon names, Ornithans is a nice name for a dragon. It was the name of my cousin's one character's familiar, which, using the "natural 20s on a confirmation roll results in instant death" variant from Complete Warrior, managed to one hit kill a dragon... choked it with an acorn or something I guess... Squirrels can be vicious

Diggorian
2007-03-27, 01:00 AM
Dragon: Vuthankyss (voo-THAN-k+ice, "Black Stars")
City: Keden (short e's like Ed)

Derived from D&D Draconic (http://www.fantasist.net/draconic.shtml)

Townopolis
2007-03-27, 01:15 AM
Vyrgijans (VER-gi-yans) 3 syllables & rhymes with lands.

Nothing to do with evil or greed or blackness, and based off nothing but my own imagination.

Demented
2007-03-27, 01:42 AM
Everssandes
Catacrans

Andules
Hedlem

I suppose if one wanted to be particular, there's always stressed syllables to specify....

starwoof
2007-03-27, 01:59 AM
Heres how I name my dragons. All of them.

1. Take a normal name. Kurt, Steve, Larry, etc. Alternatively take a word.
2. Add a bunch of vowels and consonants until it sounds cool. Kurtvelliwiix, Stevanifel, Larryanixxihedron.

Doubling two letters makes it cooler.

Demented
2007-03-27, 02:09 AM
The last one can be shortened to "Anahedron", for a Zero-Dimensional Dragon.

kamikasei
2007-03-27, 03:53 AM
Here's a thought: give the dragon two names, one a classically draconic name like Blsdkjfjoofof, the other a title or epithet that others use for him. That way you can use the epithet in your poem or prophecy, without having to compromise the impressiveness of his real moniker.

Name_Here
2007-03-27, 07:09 AM
I honestly never bother with the actual dragon's name. I can't speak draconic and neither can anybody else so why should I bother? I just say "roughly translated" or "You all can call me" and then come up with some rough description like "Lightining strike" for a Blue dragon and "Shiney coin" for a bronze. Has worked out well so far since my charecters have loved both dragons.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-03-28, 03:19 PM
im sorry but this new infor changes everything.

the name needs to rhyme with land. not lands. and sky not skies. if anyone is still willing to give ideas i'd appreciate it

im already working wiht what was posted but more ideas never hurt (:

TheThan
2007-03-28, 03:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons

this link might be helpful, as i have found it so