PDA

View Full Version : weapons of pure magic (weapons/magic items)

InaVegt
2007-03-25, 06:30 AM
I've been toying around with this idea lately, creating weapons from weapon like spells, so I thought I'd create the rule.

Weapons of pure magic.
Weapons of pure magic are made of spells requiring an attack roll and dealing damage, if a spell deals damage but requires no attack roll or it requires an attack roll but deals no damage they can't be made into weapons of pure magic. For the purpose of attacks they are normal magic weapons, meaning you get additional additional attacks/castings at lower BAB and you can use them for attacks of opportunity. They are normal magic weapons for the purpose of which spells and effects affect them as well. They require both craft magic arms and armor and craft wondrous item, psionic versions require both craft psionic arms and armor and craft universal item.

Base price: spell level * caster level * 2000 * handedness modifier, subtract the highest bonus for weapons lower than the base price, for the purpose of pricing this is an already added bonus (you still need the +1 to qualify for magic item special abilities)

Handedness modifiers:
two handed: 0.5
one handed: 1
light: 1.5

Example

Holy weapon of pure scorching ray +1
This one handed weapon of pure magic uses scorching ray at caster level 3 as it's weapon. It gives the user a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls and deals +2d6 damage against creatures ov evil alignment. This weapon deals a negative level to any evil creature attempting to wield it, as described under the holy weapon enhancement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holy).
Price: 6000+ +5 magic item bonus (50000 gp), 56000 gp total. Cost: 28000 gp + 2240 exp. Requirements: craft magic arms and armor, craft wondrous item, scrorching ray (at caster level 3rd), holy smite (at caster level 7th). Overall caster level: 7.

Arbitrarity
2007-03-25, 09:30 AM
Actually, you mispriced it, it's 12000+50000, 62000 gp.

The handedness modifiers are confusing. Why would light weapons cost MORE to create with magic then 2 handed items? 2H has enough bonuses. Ah, I see, increased damage. Not sure there are enough spells to do this with easily. Let's see.

+1 composite longbow (+2) of Melf's acid arrow?
+1 Greatword of chill touch?
+3 Glaive of Vampiric touch (o.0)
+2 Rapier of disintigration?!
Could you use a mordeinkanen's sword?
+2 Longbow of Polar Ray,

It feels like you need a lot more splatbooks before you can make many of these. That's all I can come up with from the wizard spell list. I like the mechanic, though a Bow of disintigration, or even a longsword, would be somewhat scary. Can this work with ranged weapons?

Ah, all the inflict spells, produced flame, flame blades, Harm... Running out of ideas.

Lol, +3 Greatword of disintigration: Cost: 66000+18000 gp. Damage: 5d6, or on failed fort save (DC 19) 22d6. 0.o.

EDIT: Ah, so no weapon "Types" Got it. And you treat the enhancement as.. wha? Cost of spell - (max enhancement cost below base price) for pricing? And this is treated as direct enhancement, without the bonuses? Or is it (Spell level + enhancement) for total enhancement? Because, you can have an effective +6 or more for pricing, just not enhancement.

Then the +1 two handed weapon of pure disintigrate: 66000 gp base cost, - 50000 gold (price of +5) For a modified base cost of 16000 gold and a +5

And a +8 (effective) weapon is 128000 gold... how are you getting the 2424000? It's 1280000... ohh!

I see. So, you treat the enhancement as the spell base price minus the highest possible cost modifier, and add that to the enhancement to determine the pricing, treating both the enhancement and the spell as seperate entities, but one for pricing (though not epicness)? So, the spell making the weapon is treated as... yes, I think I see now. Should I remove the junk above? Sorry, missed the text subtracting the max possible enhancement :/.

InaVegt
2007-03-25, 10:03 AM
You misunderstood, the weapons are the spells themselves, and as there exist ranged weapon like spells it can.

A +3 one handed weapon of pure disintegrate would be an epic weapon (the base cost being 132000, subtract 128000 (price of a +8 bonus) for a modified base cost of 4000 and a +8 bonus. therefore it would cost 2424000 gp total, of course the +2 version is a lot cheaper (204000 gp)

Black Mage
2007-03-28, 01:17 PM
I like it, but I have a couple questions...

Does the base weapon damage get replaced by the spells damage? i.e. a +1 longsword of pure scorching ray, does it do 1d8+1+4d6+str? or 4d6+1+str?

And do they count as touch attacks, or normal attacks?

RegarMage
2007-03-28, 05:21 PM
This idea is veeery strange.... interesting though

but wouldnt it be a bit overpowering if you were a fighter performing a full attack with a disintegrate weapon, thats four disintegrate rays, and what if it were maximized?

It needs work, it definetly needs work