PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Personal Range Potions - appropriate for non-spellcasters?

kkplx
2014-11-27, 01:10 PM
Hello there

I've played around with the idea of allowing Personal Range Spells as potions in my game for a while now, intending for them to be used by non-spellcasting classes primarily if not exclusively.

Just like personal range spells existing mostly being a balance decision in the first place, allowing those spells back in the hands of non-associated classes *seems* like a nice way to allow some more creativity for beatsticks and co.
So far I thought of 3 ways to do that:

Personal Range Potions can be brewed just like other potions, but can only be consumed by creatures without spellcasting progression and the individual who brewed them
Personal Range Potions can be brewed, but treat the spell they contain as 1 level higher, resulting in only 1st and 2nd level spells qualifying, and them costing at least 300 and 750 gp a pop, instead of 50 and 300. (This does mean that their minimum caster level increases by 2 as well though). They can also only be consumed by creatures without spellcasting progression and the individual who brewed them
Same as the latter, but said level adjustment is an actual metamagic feat that has to be taken as a feat in conjunction with having brew potion, thus making personal range potions unlikely to be "home made" by most parties

I'm also wondering, as a spellcaster player myself, how much harm really would be done by allowing everyone to use (the second version of) personal range potions.

Anyone have an opinion or, even better, personal experience on the matter? I played some pathfinder for example, and alchemists there can do exactly that, but with no restriction on spell level and free.