PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Electro-Static Robe

Crake
2014-12-01, 04:30 AM
I designed this for a player in one of my games, thought I'd share it with the playground and get your feedback:

Electro-Static Robe: This article of clothing (occupying the robe slotusually a robe, but it can be any kindstyle of clothing) builds up a static charge as it's wearer deals and takes electricity damage. If the wearer produces an effect that deals electricity damage, for every 3 points of damage she deals the robe is charged with 1 point of damage. If a single effect affects multiple targets, use only the highest damage to calculate how many points the robe charges. For example, if Marybelle uses a lightning blast and hits 3 foes, dealing 52 points of damage, but two of her foes have electricity resistance 20 and the last one only has electricity resistance 10, use the 42 points of damage dealt to the third foe to calculate the charge from that spell (in this case, 16 points).

Likewise, whenever the wearer is damaged by an electric effect, the robe charges for half the damage dealt to the wearer. Take into account resistance to electricty before calculating the amount of charge the robe gains. If the wearer is immune to electricity, the robe cannot be charged in this way.

Once the robe is charged, the next successful melee attack against the wearer will discharge the stored charge at the attacker dealing electricity damage equal to the amount of points charged. If the attacker is resistant to electricity, the damage resisted returns to the robe, retaining that charge. Creatures immune to electricity do not discharge the robe, and it retains all of it's charged points.

One minute after the robe has gained it's first charge, it begins to harmlessly discharge it's built up static charge into the air surrounding the wearer at a rate of one point per round. This continues until the robe is completely discharged, regardless of if more charge is stored into it while it still holds a charge.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, lightning bolt; Price 40,000 gp;Weight 1 lb.

It becomes a little bit silly if you can find some at will electricity damage and healing, which you could potentially use to charge the robe up a large amount. To that end I was thinking of the robe discharging at a percentage rate, rather than a set rate, or setting a maximum charge the robe could have at any one time, but the player it was for doesn't think like that, so I didn't find a need.

DracoDei
2014-12-01, 06:55 PM
Item slots are important.

Unslotted items are worth a lot more than slotted for an equivalent effect.

Basically, as it stands this would need to be priced as an unslotted item since it sometimes can be... electrostatic leg-warmers that don't take up the feet slot for instance...

Crake
2014-12-01, 11:30 PM
Item slots are important.

Unslotted items are worth a lot more than slotted for an equivalent effect.

Basically, as it stands this would need to be priced as an unslotted item since it sometimes can be... electrostatic leg-warmers that don't take up the feet slot for instance...

Hmm, it occupies a robe slot, when it said any kind of clothing, i intended that to mean any kind of style of clothing, not any kind of apparel on any part of the body.

DracoDei
2014-12-02, 03:29 PM
Hmm, it occupies a robe slot, when it said any kind of clothing, i intended that to mean any kind of style of clothing, not any kind of apparel on any part of the body.
Might want to clarify that in the original post, perhaps with some other examples of "formats" it can take.

Debihuman
2014-12-04, 09:15 AM
There is no "robe" slot, it is a body slot. It matters if you can wear armor with it.

Debby