PDA

View Full Version : You do what with their armor?

Fixer
2007-03-26, 10:14 AM
I was reading through some of the latest eratta on WoTC and this entry just has me giggling as a GM.

If you cast resurrection on dragonhide armor does the dragon come back to life?
Yes. The resurrection spell states that “so long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected” and that “the condition of the remains is not a factor.” It would be up to the DM to determine the age and kind of the dragon resulting from such a spell, using the guidelines for minimum size required to make the armor in question (see page 284 in the Dungeon Master’s Guide).
The same would apply to any object crafted from part of a living creature, such as leather or hide armor, a necklace of boar tusks, or a cloak made from the fur of a dire weasel.

Suddenly, all those characters who make trophies of their victims have a new problem to deal with. :D

factotum
2007-03-26, 10:22 AM
What happens if you cast Resurrection on two coats of armour made from the same dragon hide? Do you get two identical dragons, or does the second spell fail because there is no longer a dead dragon to resurrect?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 10:25 AM
*hides his Craft (Taxidermy) ranks and Trophy Collector feat.*

evil
2007-03-26, 10:27 AM
you can't resurrect something that isnt dead. Once the first armor was resurrected, the dragon would no longer be dead.

Although I don't know what would happen to the other set of armor made from the dragon.

Latronis
2007-03-26, 10:27 AM
I would assume the 2nd would fail

what happens if the spell cast on one coat of armour is made from 2 different dragons?

hewhosaysfish
2007-03-26, 10:28 AM
What happens if you cast Resurrection on two coats of armour made from the same dragon hide? Do you get two identical dragons, or does the second spell fail because there is no longer a dead dragon to resurrect?

What happens if a PC gets chopped in half my a minotaur with a greataxe and his buddies cast Resurrection on both halves?

Do not set a precedent whereby PCs can multiply themselves. Or their cohorts/animal comapanions/familiars. Or prominent NPCs. Just no.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-26, 10:35 AM
*Grins.*

*Invests in resurrection spells to deal with pesky dragon slayers.*

Latronis
2007-03-26, 10:36 AM
Actually i was thinking more along the lines someone dies and everyone else takes a finger because its easier to carry out then a corpse, everyone takes one to insure at least one gets out.

Then suddenly you have 5 new bodies?

Just no

Fixer
2007-03-26, 10:53 AM
Actually i was thinking more along the lines someone dies and everyone else takes a finger because its easier to carry out then a corpse, everyone takes one to insure at least one gets out.

Then suddenly you have 5 new bodies?

Just no
In order to maintain my EvilGM status, I would allow the following in such an instance.

1) The first resurrection brings back the character.
2) The second and following resurrections has a high chance of failing (95%) but the remaining (5%) cause a different soul to inhabit the body of the PC, thereby creating a potential nemesis for the PC.

Person_Man
2007-03-26, 11:01 AM
Remember that you can hold the charge of any touch spell indefinitely (you just can't cast another spell in the meantime). So you can cast Resurrection, then make a touch attack on your enemy to bring his armor back to life.

Sadly, it costs 10,000 gp to do, but I still think it would be worth it just to see the look on the player's face.

Latronis
2007-03-26, 11:13 AM
In order to maintain my EvilGM status, I would allow the following in such an instance.

1) The first resurrection brings back the character.
2) The second and following resurrections has a high chance of failing (95%) but the remaining (5%) cause a different soul to inhabit the body of the PC, thereby creating a potential nemesis for the PC.

I'd rather it somehow not guareentee the first casting is the real one, not only is there a new enemy to deal with it, they don't even no which it is :P

hewhosaysfish
2007-03-26, 11:27 AM
I'd rather it somehow not guareentee the first casting is the real one, not only is there a new enemy to deal with it, they don't even no which it is :P

But what if they resurrect their mate, you randomly decide that the body is occupied by the soul of some demon-eating kitten, and then they don't get round to casting the second resurrection...

Then they don't have two identical dudes (one of whom is mad and evil) who they have to try and tell apart: they just have the mad and evil one and they have no clue because their real friend is still dead.

Alternatively, you could only have the body be possessed by the wrong spirit when the original one won't/can't return. Speak With Dead becomes twice as useful and Trap the Soul becomes twice as dangerous.

Could be a fun plot-hook. But could really make your players feel like rocks are falling and everyone is about to die. Especially the guy who was supposed to get resurrected.

Alterantively create a bargain-bin version of Raise Dead as a lower level spell; like Reincarnate only with the soul randomised instead of the body.

Stick_Ninja
2007-03-26, 11:30 AM
Now, here's my question. If you cast resurrect on someone's armour while they are wearing it, does the creature appear far away? Right there? And what happens to the armour?

themightybiggun
2007-03-26, 11:32 AM
ooh, wow, that is awesome.

so the next dragon my guys kill will have a veeeery vengeful mate.

heehee.

i can't wait.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-03-26, 11:34 AM

Yeah... that suddenly feeds into my homebrew ruling that "you need to retrieve the soul of the target of any Raise Dead type magic"...
Without ensuring that the right soul has been obtained for ressurection, the target body may be occupied by randomly determined outsider, usually malevolent.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-03-26, 11:38 AM
Now, here's my question. If you cast resurrect on someone's armour while they are wearing it, does the creature appear far away? Right there? And what happens to the armour?

I'd rule that the armour is gone, and the dragon (or other leather-producing creature) has made a "Crush" attack on the person wearing the armour. For the purposes of this attack, the target is always considered flatfooted, and gains no benefit from the armour that has been resurrected.
The resurrected creature ought to be flatfooted, too.

Douglas
2007-03-26, 11:40 AM
Remember that you can hold the charge of any touch spell indefinitely (you just can't cast another spell in the meantime). So you can cast Resurrection, then make a touch attack on your enemy to bring his armor back to life.

Sadly, it costs 10,000 gp to do, but I still think it would be worth it just to see the look on the player's face.
Don't forget, the resurrected dragon will know who brought him back to life, and will therefore probably be predisposed to help that person in any fight that might be going on at the time. Not only is the character's armor gone, his enemy has a new and powerful ally.

Person_Man
2007-03-26, 02:27 PM
Don't forget, the resurrected dragon will know who brought him back to life, and will therefore probably be predisposed to help that person in any fight that might be going on at the time. Not only is the character's armor gone, his enemy has a new and powerful ally.

And Resurrection has no saving throw. So as long as you succeed on a touch attack (or just shake his hand out of combat), you destroy your enemy's armor, raise whatever dragon the armor was made of (maybe your enemy killed it to make the armor!), and gain a new and powerful possible ally.

Oh, this is going to be a hilarious gaming experience one day.

Tallis
2007-03-26, 02:32 PM
I'd rule that the armour is gone, and the dragon (or other leather-producing creature) has made a "Crush" attack on the person wearing the armour. For the purposes of this attack, the target is always considered flatfooted, and gains no benefit from the armour that has been resurrected.
The resurrected creature ought to be flatfooted, too.

Well, if you're going to do that you should include a chance that the creature reformes arround the person wearing the armor, effectively swallowing them. Now they have no armor and have make their way out of a dragons stomach. :smalleek:

marjan
2007-03-26, 03:09 PM
That would be intersting. But the dragon still needs to be willing to return to life. I don't see why not (since the worst thing you can do is to kill him again), but still there's a chance.

Neo
2007-03-26, 03:10 PM
That would cue a very suprised revived dragon.

the_tick_rules
2007-03-26, 03:31 PM
that's hillarious. that could be used as a weapon against the person wearing the armor.

Sam K
2007-03-26, 03:46 PM
You cant resurrect a person more than once, because there's nothing to resurrect once the first resurrection has been successfully cast. The soul has been brought back. The amount of fingers you have left wouldn't matter, resurrection wouldn't work (if you want soulless bodies, use a clone spell or something). Personally, I would rule that any remaining pieces of the resurrected character becomes inert, since the character has created a new body. Thus, you cant use parts of an old body for resurrection, they need to be from the latest incarnation. That's just my ruling, though.

As for what happends with the armor that is being resurrected, I would likely rule that only an insignificant piece of it is 'consumed' by the spell. Seriously, having the partys enemy bring in a dragon the party killed to aid him is nasty but creative. Also destroying a treasured piece of equipment (that most likely has been enchanted, because comeon, who wouldn't enchant dragonhide armor) is just petty.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-26, 04:00 PM
that's hillarious. that could be used as a weapon against the person wearing the armor.

Sure, because it's easy to get a fighter to stand around for 10 minutes while you resurrect his armor. Not to mention that there's probably tons of ways to kill him that cost quite a bit less than $10k (or $25k if you want that dragon in full fighting shape).

marjan
2007-03-26, 04:04 PM
Sure, because it's easy to get a fighter to stand around for 10 minutes while you resurrect his armor. Not to mention that there's probably tons of ways to kill him that cost quite a bit less than $10k (or $25k if you want that dragon in full fighting shape).

It's not easy but it's worth it. And besides, dragon ally for 25k... priceless.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 04:07 PM
Does it work for hide armor too? Because I have mental images of a tough guy barbarian type horrified as his armor turns into an angry dire wolverine.

marjan
2007-03-26, 04:15 PM
Does it work for hide armor too? Because I have mental images of a tough guy barbarian type horrified as his armor turns into an angry dire wolverine.

Probably, but I don't think it is specified out of which animal hide armor was made.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 04:18 PM
i would assume so...though the hide cant be more then 200 years old

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-26, 04:19 PM
Someone needs to stat up a rules Paradox Inevitable.

Quietus
2007-03-26, 04:23 PM
Hmmm... Jaspero brings up a good point, most dragonhide armor is enchanted. When the dragon is ressurected, does it retain those enchantments? Even if RAW says no, I think I, as a DM, would say yes... but that's 'cause I'm a jerk.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-26, 04:40 PM
Probably, but I don't think it is specified out of which animal hide armor was made.
That would be fluff left up to whoever created the character. Whatever fits best. If it had not been determined ahead of time, I would suggest some sort of random determination.

I rather like the suggestion of dire wolverine.

Meschaelene
2007-03-26, 04:57 PM
Hmmm... Resurrecting parts...

Use any of a number of methods to make it reach and use a specialty rod to chain spell it.

"The evil lich-priest begins chanting behind his altar, which is made of the bones of a dozen ancient heroes, and surrounded by the skulls of the thousand virgin maidens sacrificed upon it."

"Not anymore..."

Dausuul
2007-03-26, 04:58 PM

Well, as somebody pointed out above, Resurrection is a touch spell, so you could cast it before the fight and then hold the charge.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 04:58 PM
the RAW would say no..how do you make a dragon +4 shadow?

marjan
2007-03-26, 05:02 PM

Well, while wearing dragon you gain +4 bonus to AC, though you must first identify it to use it.:smalltongue:

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-26, 05:04 PM

Easy. You give the dragon +4 AC and +5 on Hide checks.

Sam K
2007-03-26, 05:11 PM
This gives me an idea for a villan: a cleric of evil (not of an evil god, but the ideology of evil) who operates by finding the greatest villans in history, and brings them back to life. He doesn't organize them, control them, or try to influence them (though the more lawful of them may feel the owe him something, so he has quite a network of favors), he just lets them get back to villany. Could be the most annoying antagonist ever, since he doesn't have any interest in confronting the PCs and will likely flee any encounter with them (only to tip off their enemies on where they are).

Assassinfox
2007-03-26, 05:13 PM
Don't Drow in Eberron wear and use stuff made from giant scorpions? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 05:13 PM
Easy. You give the dragon +4 AC and +5 on Hide checks.

The newest cheese ever: kill me, enchant my bones as clubs, and then bring me back to life. I retain the bonuses! Woot.

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-26, 05:17 PM
The newest cheese ever: kill me, enchant my bones as clubs, and then bring me back to life. I retain the bonuses! Woot.

And gain an LA equal to the combined bonuses from the enchantments. Have a nice day.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 05:18 PM
As well as lose a level. Wootsauce.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 05:22 PM
.....the very idea.....makes me very sad...

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-26, 05:22 PM
As well as lose a level. Wootsauce.
Oh, and don't forget that the bonuses would apply only to unarmed attacks.

Smell that lovely Limburger!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 05:23 PM
Oh, and don't forget that the bonuses would apply only to unarmed attacks.

Smell that lovely Limburger!

Unarmed attacks with your bones!

So, if I get a compound fracture, I can get a bonus on stabbing you with the shards of my bones.

"My ulnas are +5 against ogres!"

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-26, 05:37 PM
Nah, I would rule that the enchantment applies to your entire body. Fists would suffice.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-26, 05:43 PM
I'd rule that you just can't use a Ressurection spell on an enchanted suit of hide armor. Dispel (or Disjoin) it first, then Ressurect away.

If somebody uses Animate Object to animate a corpse, can you ressurect it?

daggaz
2007-03-26, 05:45 PM
Why would you ever rule to keep the enchantments, ever? When you're resurrected, you are returned to a normal, healthy state. All number of effects on your dead body are erased, I would say this includes all possible enchantments, both good and bad.

I think the SRD sums it up pretty much with this sentence:
"The condition of the remains is not a factor."

Quit spreading cheese all over my crackers, I like my saltines just fine the way they are!

Assassinfox
2007-03-26, 05:49 PM
Imagine the crazy antics dragon cults could get up to...

After a dragon dies, take apart the corpse and forge weapons and armor out of it. Give the weapons enchantments like flaming burst and the armor enchantments like fortification.

And then put them all in a pile and cast resurrect!

Flaming Burst Fortified Ancient Red Dragon + 2!

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 05:52 PM
i would never allow you to play in my groups....ever....

lumberofdabeast
2007-03-26, 05:53 PM
Why would you ever rule to keep the enchantments, ever?
Because I find it amusing.

Dervag
2007-03-26, 05:59 PM
You cant resurrect a person more than once, because there's nothing to resurrect once the first resurrection has been successfully cast. The soul has been brought back. The amount of fingers you have left wouldn't matter, resurrection wouldn't work (if you want soulless bodies, use a clone spell or something). Personally, I would rule that any remaining pieces of the resurrected character becomes inert, since the character has created a new body. Thus, you cant use parts of an old body for resurrection, they need to be from the latest incarnation. That's just my ruling, though.I would rule that all the existing bits of matter that used to be part of the creature's body are reassembled into the new body. So if I try to resurrect my friend's head, and somebody else has his hand, the hand disappears and is used as material to form the new body.

If there isn't enough matter left from the old body to form the new body (which is unlikely; even setting something on fire and burning it to powder doesn't destroy the atoms themselves), then new matter is created to make up the difference. But any parts that can be restored to the new body will be.

Hmmm... Resurrecting parts...
Use any of a number of methods to make it reach and use a specialty rod to chain spell it.
"The evil lich-priest begins chanting behind his altar, which is made of the bones of a dozen ancient heroes, and surrounded by the skulls of the thousand virgin maidens sacrificed upon it."
"Not anymore..."That would so be worth it. Suddenly the lich is surrounded by a dozen very angry ancient heroes. Unfortunately, the maidens will mostly just be innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire...

It might be smarter to resurrect only the heroes, and wait until after the battle to resurrect the maidens.

The newest cheese ever: kill me, enchant my bones as clubs, and then bring me back to life. I retain the bonuses! Woot.No, your bones retain the bonuses. If you want to hit people over the head with your bones, then sure you get the bonuses.

That could backfire. For example, if someone casts a flaming burst enchantment on one of my legbones, and I step on a beetle, I am arguably attacking the beetle. If so, there is a possibility that I will crit, and therefore a possibility that my legbone will burst into flames. Not good.

I'd say that the only reason the dragon might benefit from the armor enchantments is that the enchantments are cast on its skin, or on portions thereof. So they're on the outside of its body.

ocato
2007-03-26, 06:06 PM
I know a dwarf who is going to die. MUAHAHAHAHA
My revenge is nigh! Nigh I say! Nigh!

J_Muller
2007-03-26, 06:47 PM
Unarmed attacks with your bones!

So, if I get a compound fracture, I can get a bonus on stabbing you with the shards of my bones.

"My ulnas are +5 against ogres!"

I can totally imagine a fight where someone's arm gets severed roughly, leaving a snapped and sharp piece of bone protruding from their forearm, which they then use to stab their opponent through the neck and kill them.

If I was the DM, I'd give them a plot-induced critical on that attack roll.

Jamie Fameflame
2007-03-26, 07:03 PM
It might be smarter to resurrect only the heroes, and wait until after the battle to resurrect the maidens.

- I like this :smallbiggrin:

Hzurr
2007-03-26, 07:14 PM

*shudder*

A vorpal halfling.

NullAshton
2007-03-26, 08:16 PM
*shudder*

A vorpal halfling.

You're thinking too small.

A vorpal rabbit.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 08:20 PM
Vorpal Black Widow.

NullAshton
2007-03-26, 08:21 PM
Or for the ultimate in cheese... enchant all 100+ bones in your body as +1 defending weapons. Only 800,000 or so, and on the plus side, you get an AC of over 100!

Zangor
2007-03-26, 08:36 PM
That could be used as an interesting assassination technique. Give a gift of dragon armor to the leader of an opposing army or something. Then when he had all his guards or whatever magically detect it for dangerous enchantments or whatever and not find any. When he then takes the armor, the caster who offers it to him, and has been holding a resurrect charged, ressurects the dragon!

PnP Fan
2007-03-26, 08:38 PM
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
OMG I am sooooo going to use this against my players one day!
That is fantastic! What an irritating way to mess with your players.

Assassinfox
2007-03-26, 08:39 PM
Vorpal Black Widow.

Vorpal Paramecium.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-03-26, 09:50 PM
Random question on this, what about someone who freshly got armour from a dragon, as in within a week, and then you reincarnate it? would the dragon be angry with you?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-03-26, 10:03 PM
That could be used as an interesting assassination technique. Give a gift of dragon armor to the leader of an opposing army or something. Then when he had all his guards or whatever magically detect it for dangerous enchantments or whatever and not find any. When he then takes the armor, the caster who offers it to him, and has been holding a resurrect charged, ressurects the dragon!Oh. My. Lord. This is getting stolen. Now to figure out how to get Contingency to target an object. Is Reach Spell enough for that?

Ranis
2007-03-26, 10:18 PM

"Don't make me Res Insiju'is on you!!"

Fizban
2007-03-26, 10:30 PM
Anyone else think it would be cool to have your hero resurrected, whereupon he then fashons the rest of his corpse into weapons? A club of his own femur, a bow strung with his own sinew, etc. Either badass or creepy as all heck.

Also, due to a quirk of the listed abilities, wish can duplicate resurrection, even though it's a lv 8 cleric spell. Wish has a 1-action casting time, for when you can't bother with 10 minutes of prep time. It does cost 5,000xp, but you can do it on the spot when that pesky dragonslayer tells you just how big the dragon he got his latest trophy from was.

Which brings me to another question I've been wondering about, pertaining slightly to the chained rez situation: can you use metamagic feats on wish/limited wish, and if so, would the feats apply to a spell you duplicate?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 10:33 PM
Oh. My. Lord. This is getting stolen. Now to figure out how to get Contingency to target an object. Is Reach Spell enough for that?

You could try a variant of the spell-storing enhancement.

Tack122
2007-03-26, 10:45 PM
Could you just imbue a resurrection into a a little chunk of bone that when broken casts the spell on itself?

Portable dragons!

Merlin the Tuna
2007-03-26, 11:45 PM
You could try a variant of the spell-storing enhancement.No, it's got to be Contingency for maximum goodness. See, then you gift the corpse-to-be with a set of dragonhide plate, and when his ubiquitous archmage advisor checks it out with Greater Arcane Sight he sees Contingency and (True) Resurrection on it. You can very easily explain that as a protective ward, rather than a trap -- making the eventual dragon's resurrection that much more impressive. Plus, you can do it without being in the killzone.

Collin152
2007-03-27, 12:03 AM
Vorpal Paramecium.
Vorpal Hydrogen atom!
Vorpal Electron!

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 12:04 AM
Vorpal Hydrogen atom!
Vorpal Electron!

Vorpal Quark!

J_Muller
2007-03-27, 12:49 AM
Is a quark a slashing weapon though?

That would be odd... your opponent is simply standing there, when all of a sudden his head pops off...

Wehrkind
2007-03-27, 01:15 AM
Vorpal Wit.

"His blood boiling sarcasm was biting enough, but the vorpal double entendre truly made people lose their heads."

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-27, 10:12 AM
you can't resurrect something that isnt dead. Once the first armor was resurrected, the dragon would no longer be dead.

Although I don't know what would happen to the other set of armor made from the dragon.

I agree. Allowing something like that would be the equivilent to say, cloning a human by casting ressurection on the arm that an Ogre ripped off. Follow this order

1) Human meets Ogre
2) Ogre rips out human's arm
3) Human runs like **** and has his arm regrown with magic
4) Ogre settles down for lunch
5) Heroes snipe the Ogre
6) The Cleric casts Ressurrection on the arm
7) The Cleric curses his misfortune at having wasted all those diamonds for a guy who turns out to be alive.:smallwink:

alchemy.freak
2007-03-27, 10:42 AM
There is only one thing i have to say about that rule, OOPS!

this could backfire so badly, oh so badly

Hzurr
2007-03-27, 03:11 PM
Vorpal Wit.

"His blood boiling sarcasm was biting enough, but the vorpal double entendre truly made people lose their heads."

*sigh, and shakes head sadly*

elliott20
2007-03-27, 03:30 PM
soo... if you're going with that logic... what happens if you cast resurrection on a piece of steak that somebody is eating?

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 03:32 PM
soo... if you're going with that logic... what happens if you cast resurrection on a piece of steak that somebody is eating?

Or on someone's stomach? :smalleek:

ampcptlogic
2007-03-27, 03:43 PM
That would so be worth it. Suddenly the lich is surrounded by a dozen very angry ancient heroes. Unfortunately, the maidens will mostly just be innocent bystanders who get caught in the crossfire...

But, if you did all 1012 of them at once, wouldn't that immobilize everyone by taking up all the floor space in the room?

Maxymiuk
2007-03-27, 04:39 PM
But, if you did all 1012 of them at once, wouldn't that immobilize everyone by taking up all the floor space in the room?

And they'd all be naked.

Douglas
2007-03-27, 06:25 PM
1012 maidens is well beyond the limit of a Chained Reach Spell Resurrection - Chain Spell caps out at 20 additional targets. A Miracle might do it if you spend the 5000 XP required for a really powerful effect, but you'd need a patron deity that would go along with it.

Drider
2007-03-27, 06:42 PM
if your DM allowed you to craft intelligent items...
1. Kill a Monkey(what a waste tho...)
2. Enchant it to talk with a "1337" accent
3. Res it...

I NEED TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!

Jamie Fameflame
2007-03-27, 07:00 PM
I like the idea that resurecting a creature destroys all it remains...

"As you sit in the tavern, getting some rest after a splendid meal, all eyes are drawn to the paladdin. Or rather, the paladdins magical Dragon Hide Armour. It sloooowly crumbles into dust.... Somewhere, someone has returned from the abyss an old adversery of the party. And it has not forgotten those who severed it's mortal coil..."

:smallamused:

Great way to introduce a new BEG, an evil cleric. With a Dragon ally.

Aramil Liadon
2007-03-27, 10:15 PM
I would definitely use this technique, if not for the habit of vain NPCs to pretend their armour is dragonhide when its really normal leather. There goes 10K gp and here comes...

ZOMG ITS A COW! RUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!!
So much for a terrifying ally.

Not a Paladin
2007-03-27, 11:36 PM
I would definitely use this technique, if not for the habit of vain NPCs to pretend their armour is dragonhide when its really normal leather. There goes 10K gp and here comes...

ZOMG ITS A COW! RUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!!
So much for a terrifying ally.

You know, I wonder how the standard adventuring party would handle a Cow of Heavy Fortification...:smalltongue:

Aramil Liadon
2007-03-28, 02:36 PM
Oh noes!!!11!1!! The +2 Shadow mithril-studded Cow of Electric Resistance swallowed Haley!

daggaz
2007-03-28, 02:55 PM
seriously, one of the funnier threads ive read in a while. heh.

marjan
2007-03-28, 02:59 PM
You know, I wonder how the standard adventuring party would handle a Cow of Heavy Fortification...:smalltongue:

By milking it. :smallwink: For fortified cheese.

martyboy74
2007-03-28, 03:02 PM
By milking it. :smallwink: For fortified cheese.
Ooh...that's gonna need a lot of laxatives...

(Yes, I know the pun originally meant).

Latronis
2007-03-28, 03:18 PM
1012 maidens is well beyond the limit of a Chained Reach Spell Resurrection - Chain Spell caps out at 20 additional targets. A Miracle might do it if you spend the 5000 XP required for a really powerful effect, but you'd need a patron deity that would go along with it.

Sharess would totally dig that, what kind of self-respecting diety of hedonism wouldn't?

ArmorArmadillo
2007-03-28, 03:51 PM
Cast Revive Outsider on a Suit of Adamantine Armor:
ELDER EARTH ELEMENTAL!

Yeah, yeah...I know...still...it'd be cool...

factotum
2007-03-28, 04:03 PM
Great way to introduce a new BEG, an evil cleric. With a Dragon ally.

A Dragon ally that the party has apparently already defeated once...best hope they haven't levelled up since then, or else he'll just be a pushover. :smallsmile:

Collin152
2007-03-28, 04:28 PM
The onecapable of reving said dragon would be a fearsome opponent if it can command a dragon.

bloodhawk
2007-03-28, 07:14 PM
A Dragon ally that the party has apparently already defeated once...best hope they haven't levelled up since then, or else he'll just be a pushover. :smallsmile:

No, because now they have a high-level cleric and a dragon to deal with.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-28, 07:27 PM
The onecapable of reving said dragon would be a fearsome opponent if it can command a dragon.

The Cleric isn't Commanding the dragon. There's no need (unless it is a chaotic dragon). The dragon owes the Cleric it's life (literally!). They have a goal in common (destruction of the PCs). Eventually, they'll part ways (and quite possibly peaceably). In the meanwhile, there's no real reason for them to not work together.

Haruspex
2007-03-28, 08:01 PM
Extra fun if you let your players defeat the tarrasque and make armor out of its plates... :smallamused:

Tobrian
2007-03-29, 03:55 AM
You know, I laughed out loud when I first read the paragraph in question in the Sage Advice column... but I wonder: Hide Armor isn't made from skin, it's made from leather, which means the skin was cleaned, cured, maybe dyed, the leather hardened, cut, stitched and fitted with straps and buckles; does that still qualify as a piece of body? Otherwise you could resurrect someone who fell into lava from a wig made from their hair (poor women used to sell their hair for money to wig-makers) or a bow string made from their hair (again, I read that some archers used women's hair or silk to make expensive bowstrings). Or some nail clippings. That's just... I dunno. Gross.

I would rule that all the existing bits of matter that used to be part of the creature's body are reassembled into the new body. So if I try to resurrect my friend's head, and somebody else has his hand, the hand disappears and is used as material to form the new body.

If there isn't enough matter left from the old body to form the new body (which is unlikely; even setting something on fire and burning it to powder doesn't destroy the atoms themselves), then new matter is created to make up the difference. But any parts that can be restored to the new body will be.

That's a sensible rule. Puts a stop to all sorts of wackiness.

But, you know, it would be so much cooler if a Pale Master necromancer could arrange to have a cleric resurrect him after the necro cut his own throat (maybe even resurrect himself by cunning use of Contingency and Resurrection spells), and after he arises in a spankin'-new body he then casts Animate Dead or Create Greater Undead on his own corpse for an undead twin minion ... or uses the bones from his own corpse to make himself a suit of bonemail armor. +10 to his Badass Factor! :smallbiggrin:

Jack Mann
2007-03-29, 04:53 AM
if your DM allowed you to craft intelligent items...
1. Kill a Monkey(what a waste tho...)
2. Enchant it to talk with a "1337" accent
3. Res it...

I NEED TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!
I have killed people for less.

You know, I laughed out loud when I first read the paragraph in question in the Sage Advice column... but I wonder: Hide Armor isn't made from skin, it's made from leather, which means the skin was cleaned, cured, maybe dyed, the leather hardened, cut, stitched and fitted with straps and buckles; does that still qualify as a piece of body? Otherwise you could resurrect someone who fell into lava from a wig made from their hair (poor women used to sell their hair for money to wig-makers) or a bow string made from their hair (again, I read that some archers used women's hair or silk to make expensive bowstrings). Or some nail clippings. That's just... I dunno. Gross.
The condition of the body part doesn't matter. If you disintegrate someone, the dust qualifies, and it's far more damaged than the leather.

kamikasei
2007-03-29, 01:01 PM
But, you know, it would be so much cooler if a Pale Master necromancer could arrange to have a cleric resurrect him after the necro cut his own throat (maybe even resurrect himself by cunning use of Contingency and Resurrection spells), and after he arises in a spankin'-new body he then casts Animate Dead or Create Greater Undead on his own corpse for an undead twin minion ... or uses the bones from his own corpse to make himself a suit of bonemail armor. +10 to his Badass Factor! :smallbiggrin:

One sci-fi book I've read featured humans who had genetic engineering up the wazoo to the point that they were practically Wolverine - essentially any injury would heal, given time. Chop someone's head off and the head will regrow a body, so long as you give it nutrients. When a group of these humans were stranded away from civilization, and one faction decided to embrace their new home and stop trying to hold on to their technology in a resource-poor environment, they survived by removing their own bones, sections of skin, etc. and letting them regrow, giving them an endless renewable supply of bone for tools, leather for clothes, etc.

It was hardcore. And pretty painful, no doubt.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-29, 01:35 PM
One sci-fi book I've read featured humans who had genetic engineering up the wazoo to the point that they were practically Wolverine - essentially any injury would heal, given time. Chop someone's head off and the head will regrow a body, so long as you give it nutrients. When a group of these humans were stranded away from civilization, and one faction decided to embrace their new home and stop trying to hold on to their technology in a resource-poor environment, they survived by removing their own bones, sections of skin, etc. and letting them regrow, giving them an endless renewable supply of bone for tools, leather for clothes, etc.

It was hardcore. And pretty painful, no doubt.

Where do they get the mass and energy to do all that?

AMX
2007-03-29, 02:45 PM
Otherwise you could resurrect someone who fell into lava from a wig made from their hair (poor women used to sell their hair for money to wig-makers) or a bow string made from their hair (again, I read that some archers used women's hair or silk to make expensive bowstrings). Or some nail clippings. That's just... I dunno. Gross.
It must have been a part of the body at the time of death; so, no, you can't resurrect somebody from some "biological waste" (s)he left behind some time earlier.

I agree to the coolness of this idea.

I would rule that all the existing bits of matter that used to be part of the creature's body are reassembled into the new body. So if I try to resurrect my friend's head, and somebody else has his hand, the hand disappears and is used as material to form the new body.
I'd have to object to this ruling; consider:
You have some kind of carnivorous creature (anything will work - an owl, a housecat, whatever).
Logically, the body of this creature consists almost exclusively of matter that was formerly part of its food's bodies.
Now, if you get hold of said food's undigested remains (e.g., owls cough up the hair and bones of their prey; just follow it, and collect the hairballs), and resurrect them all, what happens to the creature?
Does it simply disintegrate, or what?

Presumably from the food they acquire with their shiny new bone tools.

kamikasei
2007-03-29, 06:43 PM

They kill, and eat, things. The planet isn't totally lifeless - its life is just not the sort you can extract useful raw materials from, generally speaking. If not for the humans' super-augmented metabolism and biochemistry, they'd probably not be able to even digest the native life, and would die of massive heavy metal poisoning after a couple of bites even if they did manage it.

It was a pretty cool book, though very, very strange. Marrow by Robert Reed.