PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Rogue

JoeJ
2014-12-08, 01:29 AM
My current character is a 1st level high elf fighter, Dex based, with TWF and the Pirate background. She's proficient in Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, Perception, and Stealth. I plan to go Battle Master at 3rd level because the maneuvers fit with how I see her fighting, and because I really want the Know Your Enemy ability at 7th level. And if I go to 7th level, I might as well go to 8th and pick up a 3rd ASI. But everything above 8th level seems kind of meh for this character, except the extra attacks.

That's why I was thinking of switching to rogue at that point. Rogues get an ASI at levels 4, 8, 10, 12, 16, & 19, so if I go fighter 8/rogue 12 I still get as many as if I stay fighter for the full 20. And the Expertise, Cunning Action, Fast Hands, and Second-Story Work abilities all seem to fit really well with my concept of her as a highly acrobatic, swashbuckling type of character. (Yes, I know that TWF and Cunning Action both use a bonus action. But I don't see having more options each round as a bad thing.)

So, how does that sound to the rest of the playground? Is there some big disadvantage I'm overlooking?

Zariel
2014-12-08, 02:32 AM
First of all... High elf? Looking at your skills Wood Elf seems to be a perfect choice since you use a lot of Wis-Based Skills. But if your concept need high elf so be it. But i recommend you to switching into Woodie ;)

Second, what kind of rogue you will like to play? Because this will have a big impact on if it wont be better for you to ditch 1 level of warrior (1 ASI not so big deal i think) so you can get some good roguish things. If the a lot of ASI is your way to go then be my guest and forget about what i just said ;)

Mandrake
2014-12-08, 03:01 AM
I think it's great.

Sure, you won't be as optimized as you could be, but you most certainly will be versatile with your options (Cunning Action, Action Surge, Second Wind, TWF and so on). Since you are a High Elf, I suppose Intelligence is a bit higher, unless you maybe went Charisma... Anyway, I would suggest you go Duelist - only a Rapier (or a Whip, hm? :smallsmile:) and use that Intelligence to get some spells with Arcane Trickster. That makes your versatility and "piraty-rougish-swashbucklines" reach maximum. And if you use only one weapon, then you can cast without a War Caster feat, and besides, that second strike won't be, comparably, that good of an option, anyway.

As for optimization - your character is fun and well-rounded. If you check the forum you will see a lot of supporters of the idea that it doesn't really matter that you reach stats cap or be optimized in another manner since the differences are, when it gets down to numbers, minimal. So just make it as you like it and enjoy the show.

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 05:01 AM
High elf is fine, you trade fast movement and the wood elf hiding ability for cantrips. There are a lot of synergies between fighter and rogue classes, so can't see that being an issue. However, since you already can cast catrips, why don't you go arcane trickster over thief?

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-08, 05:20 AM
I find it funny that people were saying Rogue was horrible for a Fighter multiclass the other day... :smalltongue:

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 06:14 AM
I find it funny that people were saying Rogue was horrible for a Fighter multiclass the other day... :smalltongue:

Why? It had to be in relation to acheiving a certain design goal.

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-08, 08:10 AM
Why? It had to be in relation to acheiving a certain design goal.

No clue, the original build was Fighter multiclass, ended up going a complete different way with it... So the point was moot when I decided on Monk/Druid.

Gwendol
2014-12-08, 08:30 AM
Monk/Druid... I see the appeal!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-12-08, 08:52 AM
No clue, the original build was Fighter multiclass, ended up going a complete different way with it... So the point was moot when I decided on Monk/Druid.

Monk/Druid... I see the appeal!

Monk Druid has caught my eye a few times. Constant AC bonus and strong casting stat with crazy abilities while wild shaped. Then spells as a Kung fu master.

JoeJ
2014-12-08, 12:40 PM
Thanks everybody. :smallsmile:

Just to clarify, I've already played one game with this character, so it's too late to change any of the starting options, and I wasn't originally planning to multiclass when I created her. I picked high elf specifically to get Prestidigitation (she likes clean clothes, warm food, and cold beer). In her backstory, I wrote that she has no real aptitude for magic; even though she came from a family of wizards, she was never able to master more than that one cantrip. That's why I'm not considering Arcane Trickster, which would otherwise be very attractive.

edit: Zariel's idea of going fighter 7/rogue 13 is an interesting one. It basically trades 1 ASI for Use Magic Device at 20th level, which could make sense for a non-caster coming from a family of mages.

Shadow
2014-12-08, 01:53 PM
I've got eventual plans for a similar swashbuckling type, but my plan is only 3-5 fighter BM.

Battle Master 3 (or 4 or 5) / Thief Rogue 17 (or 16 or 15).
BM maneuvers: disarming, feinting, riposte (choose 2)
Defense style.
Crossbow Expert.
Eventually spend a feat on Martial Adept for 1 more Superiority Die, grab the other maneuver that you didn't choose before and 1 more (trip).
Lucky is almost a no brainer for a swashbuckler.

1d8+5 (rapier) +8or9d6 (sneak attack) +1d6+5 (bonus action handbow, applies SA if rapier misses)
If you went to 5th level fighter, you'd get another 1d8+5 rapier attack.
It's not the best, but it's still pretty damned good, and it holds true to the flavor.
And if the rapier hits, save your bonus action for cunning action fun.

Feinting allows sneak attack when you're fighting 1v1.
Tripping allows sneak attack when you're fighting 1v1 (for the handbow attack) and offers a little BF control.
Riposte and Uncanny Dodge create a situation where, once per turn, anytime someone rolls an attack against you you can either choose to take half damage or OA (with SA if anyone else is in melee or if the attacker is prone [or whatever for Adv] - which increases your potential DPR).
And every one of the Thief's abilities (with the exception of supreme sneak) fits the theme perfectly, but here's the best one:
Disarm > bonus cunning action use object > kick the weapon away so he can't pick it up.

And you're doing all of that stuff with a rapier / handbow combo.
The ultimate pirate/swashbuckler.