PDA

View Full Version : New Fighter Archetype: The Hussar (5e) (PEACH)

bloodshed343
2014-12-11, 05:05 PM
A Grand Knight: At 3rd level, you become a follower to a powerful patron. Chosen from Fey, Lordly, Holy, Scholarly, Merchant, or Outlaw. Your patron's influence grants you expertise on persuasion checks. You have shown great promise, and your patron sends a follower to assist you. This follower depends on your patron. You may order your follower to retreat to a safe distance during combat. You may attempt to attract another non-hostile humanoid into following you with a Charisma (persuasion) check. The maximum CR of the follower equals 1/2 of your fighter level and the DC is 10+ the humanoids CR. The maximum number of followers you may have is 2. While you have any followers with you, you have advantage on all charisma checks.

A Noble Steed: At 7th level, you may cast Find Steed as a ritual. Your mount gains a bonus to ac and all saves equal to your proficiency bonus, and a 10' bonus to speed.

Inspiring Charge: At 10th level, when you are mounted, you may use your action to inspire your allies with a glorious charge. You move up to 30' as part of the charge and make a melee attack against a creature. You have advantage on this attack. If you hit, allies who can see and hear you gain 1d4+your charisma modifier temporary hit points.

Blood and Glory: At 15th level, you've earned the right to carry a banner. This banner signifies your great rank and deeds. Allies who can see your banner are immune to fear and have advantage on saving throws versus charm. While you hold the banner, you may make an attempt to sway a non-hostile humanoid with a cr no greater than your fighter level with your greatness. You must have a follower to recant your titles and deeds for one minute. At the end of this time, any creature who listened for the full duration must make a wisdom save with a dc equal to 8+your charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus or be charmed by you for 1d4+your charisma modifier days. On a success, the creature cannot be charmed by you until you gain a level or perform a great deed, at your DM's discretion.

Paragon of Valor: At 18th level, you have ascended to a rank second only to the patron you serve. You may, as a bonus action, rally an ally to fight bravely, granting that ally 2d10+your charisma modifier temporary hit points. You may order for yourself at your patrons expense any mundane arms or armor that you require. You may only order one item at a time and it takes 1d4 days to complete your order. After ordering, you must wait a year before ordering another item of the same type. You also receive a tower, built in any location within your patron's influence. This tower is fully furnished with staff and guards. Your maximum number of followers increases to 3.

bloodshed343
2014-12-11, 05:08 PM
Reserved: I'd like to have several different types of followers with different effects. These followers should give the fighter Nice Things (tm) to do outside of combat. The different types of followers will go here. I'd put them in the main post if I could do spoilers on my phone.

Followers:

Woodsman: Outlaw Companion
CR = 1/2 your fighter level.

You have pledged yourself to a dethroned noble, a folk revolutionary, or another leader waging a guerrilla war against a tyrant. The woodsman, recruited from common hunters, lends you his bow and expertise.

The woodsman is skilled in hunting and gathering. A woodsman has a bonus on survival checks to forage for food or find water equal to your proficiency bonus +5. A woodsman also has a knack for directions and always knows which way is north. At CR 5 the woodsman gains a +2 bonus to ranged attacks. At CR 10 the woodsman may cast commune with nature as a ritual.

A woodsman is a human with the following equipment:
2 Handaxes
Longbow
20 arrows
Leather Armor
Survivor's Kit

Stats:
Str: 14
Con: 12
Dex: 16
Wis: 12
Int: 8
Cha: 10

HP: 8 + 10 per CR.
Attack Bonus: Your proficiency bonus + 5.
Damage: Your proficiency bonus.

Guard: Merchant House Companion
CR = 1/2 your fighter level.

Guards are trained to protect you while you are vulnerable. They have a passive perception equal to 15 + your proficiency bonus and never have disadvantage on perception checks. The guard also represents your connection to a powerful merchant house. You may make a Charisma (persuasion) check when buying an item to decrease the price of that item by half. At CR5 and CR10 the guard gains an extra attack.

A guard has the following equipment:

Spear
Shortsword
Chainmail
Shield
10 darts or 5 javelins.
Guard's Pack

Stats:
Str: 16
Dex: 12
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

HP: 10 + 12 per CR
Attack Bonus: Your proficiency bonus + 3.
Damage Bonus: Your proficiency bonus.

Priest: Holy Companion
CR = 1/3 your level.

A priest is a religious scholar of an order revered by your patron. The priest has a bonus to medical and religion checks equal to your proficiency bonus + 5. The priest may cast Cure Wounds at a level equal to its CR up to three times per day, and may cast Spare the Dying, Light, Thaumaturgy, Guidance, and Blade Ward at will. A priest may use a healer's kit as though it had the healer feat. It is against the priests nature to harm another person, and it may not use weapons. Instead, it may use its action to grant a creature 2d6 temporary hit points. At CR5, the priest may cast any spell on the Cleric's spell list with the ritual tag with a level no more than its CR as a ritual.

The priest has the following equipment:

Chain Shirt
Robes
Scholar's Kit
Healer's Kit.

Stats:
Str: 10
Dex: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 14

HP: 8 + 12 per CR.
Attack Bonus: N/A.
Damage Bonus: N/A.

Bard: Fey Companion.
CR = 1/3 your level.

Your Fey Lord has sent a court bard to honor you in song and story. The bard may make a performance check with a bonus equal to your proficiency bonus + 5 to endear you to the people. You have advantage on Charisma checks when interacting with non-hostile humanoids who heard and saw the bard's performance if their CR is less than the bards check result. The bard may cast Charm Person at a level equal to its CR three times per day and may cast light, minor illusion, Prestidigitation, and mage hand at will. At CR5 the bard may cast any spell on the Bard's spell list with the ritual tag of a level no greater than its CR as a ritual.

The bard has the following equipment:

2 daggers
Leather Armor
Short bow
20 arrows
Explorer's Pack
Lute or Lyre

Stats:

Str: 8
Dex: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

Attack Bonus: Your proficiency bonus + 3
Damage Bonus: Your proficiency bonus.
Hit points: 8+12 per CR.

Sage: Scholarly Companion.
CR = 1/3 your level.

You have pledged yourself to a scholarly organization, and are sent a scholar to catalogue and preserve the lore you work to recover.

The sage has a bonus to all knowledge checks equal to your proficiency bonus + 5. The sage is also proficient with Alchemy Tools. The sage may cast Mage Armor, Comprehend Languages, and Detect Magic up to twice each per day. It may cast Light, Message, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp, and Fire Bolt at will. The sage may not make weapon attacks. At CR5, the scholar may cast any spell on the wizard's spell list with the ritual tag of a level no more than its CR as a ritual.

The Sage has the following equipment:

Robe
Walking Stick
Scholar's Pack
Explorer's Pack
Alchemy Tools

Stats:

Str: 8
Con: 10
Dex: 10
Int: 16
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

HP: 6 + 12 per CR.
Attack Bonus: NA.
Magical Attack Bonus: Your proficiency bonus + 5.
Damage Bonus: NA.

PotatoGolem
2014-12-15, 05:44 PM
I like this a lot- really fills the "noble knight" niche that's missing in 5e right now. Two suggestions:

1) Should you gain proficiency in Persuasion? It's not on the fighter list and one of your more flavorful abilities requires it. Automatic proficiency would be flavorful and not super OP.

2) It seems like Blood and Glory should either not affect hostile creatures or they should get advantage on the save- seems odd to be able to charm your enemies with a recitation of what you've done to other people like them.

Overall looks super cool. Looking forward to the followers!

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-15, 05:54 PM
I like it, except why give a bonus feat out? Fighter gets 8 feats already.

Also, the mount upgrade seems a bit unwieldly. It might be simpler to let them cast Find Steed without using a spell slot.

bloodshed343
2014-12-15, 06:32 PM
I like this a lot- really fills the "noble knight" niche that's missing in 5e right now. Two suggestions:

1) Should you gain proficiency in Persuasion? It's not on the fighter list and one of your more flavorful abilities requires it. Automatic proficiency would be flavorful and not super OP.

2) It seems like Blood and Glory should either not affect hostile creatures or they should get advantage on the save- seems odd to be able to charm your enemies with a recitation of what you've done to other people like them.

Overall looks super cool. Looking forward to the followers!

Fixed a few things, as per your suggestion. I might add that carrying the banner gives you advantage on intimidate checks to force enemies to surrender.

In response to the other poster: I didn't know how else to make this the definitive mounted knight archetype than to give mounted combat. I suppose I could give some other type of benefit, but I haven't really thought of any that aren't covered by mounted combat.

Edit: Some followers are up. Need some help statting them since I've never done creatures before.

Amnoriath
2014-12-15, 10:21 PM
Fixed a few things, as per your suggestion. I might add that carrying the banner gives you advantage on intimidate checks to force enemies to surrender.

In response to the other poster: I didn't know how else to make this the definitive mounted knight archetype than to give mounted combat. I suppose I could give some other type of benefit, but I haven't really thought of any that aren't covered by mounted combat.

Edit: Some followers are up. Need some help statting them since I've never done creatures before.

You could allow them to cast the Find Steed spell as a ritual and modify it accordingly.

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-16, 12:43 PM
You could allow them to cast the Find Steed spell as a ritual and modify it accordingly.

That's what I said.

If a player wants to be "the ultimate mounted knight" they will take mounted combat as a feat. You could give them abilities akin to Trample, give them advantage on their ability checks made to avoid damage for their mounts, or give their mounts resistance to non-magical P/S/B damage? All of that seems more interesting and easier to track than the extra hit dice and so on.

bloodshed343
2014-12-16, 12:53 PM
That's what I said.

If a player wants to be "the ultimate mounted knight" they will take mounted combat as a feat. You could give them abilities akin to Trample, give them advantage on their ability checks made to avoid damage for their mounts, or give their mounts resistance to non-magical P/S/B damage? All of that seems more interesting and easier to track than the extra hit dice and so on.

I gave them Find Steed and an ability which grants a speed and AC bonus to any mount the Hussar rides. I'll be reworking the companion system soon because I don't like it.

PotatoGolem
2014-12-16, 01:01 PM
I might add some in-combat utility to either of the last two abilities- something similar to a paladin aura to reflect how you inspire your allies to fight harder. Maybe allies who see your banner (or you, when you hit 18th level) can't be frightened/charmed/mind controlled, or have advantage of those saves? I also like your suggestion that the banner gives advantage on intimidating people into surrendering.

Looking really good overall! Showed this to my players, and they seemed super amped about it.

bloodshed343
2014-12-16, 01:39 PM

/10chars

Edit: I'm leaving the different followers intentionally unstatted because I'm bad at it. If you plan to use this in a campaign, work with the DM to create stats that work. Then post them here so I can shamelessly rip them off. :)

Edit 2: Nah, I'm gonna throw some stats up there. The formating won't be right cause I only have my phone but whatevs.

bloodshed343
2014-12-17, 11:13 PM
Stats are up. Should the followers get their own turn? This is starting to feel like basically a stronger beast master. Maybe I should write a fix for beast master next.