PDA

View Full Version : Master craftsman feat 5e

Spacehamster
2014-12-12, 11:54 AM
Hello playground.

I have not yet got the DMG for 5e but from what I understand you need to be a spell caster to make magic items and weapons. I myself have never liked that rule since it fortifies the position of caster vs muggles even more. Always liked the idea of a master smith working for a long time on his masterpiece(Bruenor crafting Wulfgars hammer is a good example of a non magic user crafting a clearly powerful magical weapon). Feat would enable a pc proficient with some form of crafting tool to also make magical items with that tool. Otherwise same rules for cost and how long it takes, could also be like and adventure to find the right obscure materials needed to craft the item.

What do you guys think of the general idea?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

bloodshed343
2014-12-12, 12:03 PM
It would be easier to make this a houserule than a feat. Just let everyone proficient with appropriate tools make magic gear, rather than anyone proficient in spells.

Spacehamster
2014-12-12, 12:13 PM
It would be easier to make this a houserule than a feat. Just let everyone proficient with appropriate tools make magic gear, rather than anyone proficient in spells.

Well my idea kind of were that not just any old smith/alchemist/potion crafter and so on could make magic items, thought it like something only very skilled individuals could pull off hence a feat, like a half feat that gives magic item crafting and +1 in a ability score that is fitting for a certain tool.

Millennium
2014-12-12, 12:17 PM
I'd be more inclined to come up with a system somewhat akin to 3.5e's Weapons of Legacy: permanent items are not made by craftsmen, but born through the deeds of their users (though the crafting process might itself be an epic deed). Porting the WoL rules straight across probably isn't a good idea, but the basic concept should lend itself well to a new system with a 5e feel. You could even dovetail it off of the rules for attunement.