PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Kukilaluit. Please comment.

Danu
2007-03-28, 03:15 PM
Kukilaluit
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/ Grapple: +4/ +5
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4+1 18-20/x3)
Full Attack: 2 claw +5 melee (1d4+1 18-20/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, charming gaze, feybane, sleeping breath
Special Qualities: darkvision 60 ft., damage reduction 5/silver, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +15*, Knowledge (nature) +3, Listen +5, Move Silently +15*, Spot +5, Survival +5
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Focus (claw)
Environment: Temperate or cold forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 1/2 standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment:

You turn your eyes for a second and see, form concealed by the branches, a woman of immense beauty draped in simple skins and leather. Even as your eyes meet hers, she smiles and gestures you forward, her eyes unnaturally bright and welcoming, and her nails extending like razor-sharp claws, almost six inches beyond the tips of her fingers.

A kukilaluit is thought to be a horrible half-human monster that preys on the hearts and other organs of humanoids; first beguiling their prey and charming them to sleep, and then consuming the internal organs of the unlucky soul.

Considered forest haunts, a kukilaluit is the natural enemy of most creatures that inhabit the forest. Many fey, in fact, consider a kukilaluit a dire enemy and do anything in their power to rid the forest of such an evil. For this reason, kukilaluits have developed methods of protecting themselves from their sylvan enemies.

Largely territorial creatures, kukilaluits attempt to drive other predatory creatures out of their surroundings. Since they prey largely on humanoids, a kukilaluit will stake a claim on forest-lands surrounding areas hosting the appropriate prey, even if that area is largely cleared out. Kukilauits dislike exiting the forest, however, since the covering the trees provides them much of their natural protection.

A kukilaluit speaks and understands Sylvan. A kukilaluit understands, but does not speak, Common.

COMBAT

A kukilaluit only target solitary individuals, distrusting the effectiveness of their charming gaze against groups. If a creature fails to respond to their gaze, they'll typically retreat into the forest. If the previous target was a member of a group, it may circle back and attempt the same tactic on another member of the group, although it will rarely do so more then twice.

If engaged by an opponent, the kukilaluit only attacks if backed into a corner, or when facing a fey opponent. In either case it attacks fiercely and without regard for its life, until its opponent is dead. A humanoid opponent is subsequently consumed, while a fey creature is dismembered and it's corpse desecrated.

Augmented Critical (Ex): A kukilaluit's claw threatens a critical hit on a successful attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical.

Charming Gaze (Su): Any humanoid who meets the eyes of a kukilaluit must make a Will save (DC 15) or become charmed, as the spell charm person. The charmed creature views the kukilaluit as a friend and disregards anything that might disrupt that idea. The save DC is Charisma based. Once a creatures saves, it becomes immune to that kukilaluit's charming gaze for 24 hours.

Feybane (Ex): A kukilaluit's claw attacks deal an additional +2d6 points of damage to creatures of the fey type, and a kukilaluit's claws are treated as magical and cold iron for purposes of bypassing damage reduction.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): A kukilaluit can make a Hide check, even while being observed, whenever she is in a forest.

Sleeping Breath (Su): The breath of the kukilaluit can put a willing or helpless creature into a deep dreamless sleep for up to 1d4 hours. While in this sleep, the subject cannot feel or hear anything, and cannot be awakened by normal means. The effect of this ability, while supernatural in origin, is not treated as a magical sleep effect.

Silver Anathema (Ex): A kukilaluit cannot bear the touch of silver, sometimes recoiling from the very sight of the metal. Whenever struck by a silver weapon, a kukilaluit most make a Fortitude saving throw of 10 + the item's magical enhancement bonus (if any) or take 2d6 points of Constitution damage and 1d4 points of Charisma drain. This is treated as a poison effect. A kukilaluit killed by a silver weapon cannot be raised or resurrected by any means.

Skills: Kukilaluits recieve a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. *This bonus improves to +8 when within a forest (factored into the skills above).

-------------------------------------
Very rough draft. Mention if you see anything strange. The CR is a guesstimate, and I can't even begin to guess at it's LA. Despite the description a kukilaluit can be either male or female.

Based on very scant information of a cherokee legend of a spearfinger. If anyone has additional info about these mythological creatures, help revising the monster would be most welcome.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-28, 06:44 PM
1) Great avatar, Dunu. Kudos.

2) Cool name for the critters. Where's it from?

3) The fluff is well done, although I'd like a little more about the origins of such a creature. Are they magical experiments? Amazon barbarians who descended into complete monstrousness? Are they some kind of forest-sirens? What ARE they really?

4) Mechanically, I'd say the claws are unnecessarily powerful. Why do they need to have the nail-claws of Lady Deathstrike (great character, bad name) when they have Charming Gaze & Sleeping Breath? With those two abilities, they could have no claws at all & still be fearsome she-cannibals. I'm not saying that they won't work, just that they might need a little nerfing.

Danu
2007-03-28, 06:51 PM
As mentioned, the creature is based primarily off a legends. In the legend the kakilaluit is a half-human monster with long claw-like fingers that charms men into the forest, puts them to sleep, and cuts out their internal organs with their fingers. After consuming said organs, they leave the still living person to die of exposure... and the distinct lack of his organs.

As for where the creatures would come from in a game itself, I couldn't tell you. I'm still trying to discover much the information on the actual legend. Most of this was extrapolated from very little information.

Danu
2007-03-31, 01:28 PM
Hmm. I'm going to give this a single bump, and then let it sink back into the morass.

Moribundus
2007-03-31, 01:39 PM
I like it, I really really really like this one. Especially the fluff and the wicked 6" claws. eeevil.

AmberVael
2007-03-31, 02:15 PM
I think I remember that myth... it may be something else, but the spearfinger I am thinking of is a Native American myth, is it not?
Of course, it was just one woman from what I rememeber. *Shrug*
In my opinion this is maybe slightly higher than CR 3. Maybe. Maybe 4?
I want to say 3.5, but I can't really do that, now can I? :P
Its because of the critical and charm, really. You just... zap em and then "Whoops!"

EDIT: Spearfinger (http://www.manataka.org/page261.html)

Danu
2007-03-31, 02:35 PM
Vael, that link is a wonderful blessing. I've been looking for something like that for ages! True, the spearfinger has some distinct differences from the creature I've heard of, but the similarities are enough that I can definitely alter my creature to suit.

Thanks a bunch!

AmberVael
2007-03-31, 02:47 PM
No problem.
I remember learning about that myth a while ago... it was a bit different in my version, but hey, as mythology is part of my major I am used to that.
So it was a bit easier for me to find, I bet.
Anywho, I'll be interested to see what changes.

Baron Corm
2007-03-31, 02:55 PM
it sounds like a fey itself to me. the trickery, the charming, the forest affinity. it can be an evil fey while still getting bonuses against good fey.

sc0rch.anarch
2007-04-12, 11:35 PM
Dude, this monster sounds like my ex. She was also allergic to silver. Crazy, man!