PDA

View Full Version : Tentative Prestige class: Gunslinger

RegarMage
2007-03-28, 04:38 PM
I've been thinking about how to best create this class for a few weeks now, and this is what i have so far, this is for a gunman using rennisance era weapons as described in the DMG.

Requirements

Base attack bonus
?? (i'm thinking anywhere from 3 to 5)
Skills:
not sure on this, tumble and sleight of hand maybe, 6 ranks apeice
Feats:
weapon proficiency with firearms

Class Skills
i have a few ideas on this one, but nothing concrete yet

Skill Points Per Level:
5 + int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
hmmmm... Firearms, all simple weapons, shortsword, and light armor maybe?

Bonus Feats:
gained at 3 6 and 9, come from a list that involves a lot of ranged combat and mobility affecting feats (like rapid shot, dodge, things like that)

Trick Shot:
1/day at level one, increasing by 1/day every three levels
thereafter, the gunslinger can perform a trick shot, which can be any of the following.

Pinpoint shot: ignores cover bonus to AC

Ricochet shot: hits more than one enemy, i havent quite worked this one out yet, think Xena's chakram, but with bullets.

Wild Shot: Power attack with a gun? not sure about this one, i just enjoy the name.

Adjacent Shot: Make an attack with your gun as a touch attack to an opponent within 5 ft

and now the chart

Gunslinger Prestige Class
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 Trick Shot 1/day
2 +2 +3 +3 +0
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 Bonus Feat
4 +4 +4 +4 +1 Trick Shot 2/day
5 +5 +4 +4 +1
6 +6 +5 +5 +2 Bonus Feat
7 +7 +5 +5 +2 Trick Shot 3/day
8 +8 +6 +6 +2
9 +9 +6 +6 +3 Bonus Feat
10 +10 +7 +7 +3 Trick Shot 4/day

i used the ranger for the atk bonus/saves progression, but i'm not sure if it was the right choice.

Remember, these are the bare bones of a class, i have a lot to work out yet, and any input from you would be appreciated to the utmost.

Have a look, see anything you think should be added, modified, changed, or removed, or just have a neat idea, post it, i want to hear.

Oh, and sorry if it squishes the chart together, i dont really know how to prevent that.

Adam

Matthew
2007-04-02, 07:32 PM
This is a good idea and I would like to see it further developed. Have you looked at the Homebrewing Guidelines? They provide nice templates to help tidy this up. Are you thinking of using D20 Past or D&D for this sort of Prestige Class. I think it could work in either.

Kyace
2007-04-02, 08:14 PM
Looks like a cool class. Maybe instead of ranks in tumble or sleight of hand, you required the feat Quick Draw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickDraw) or Rapid Reload (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#rapidReload) or the like. Also, you might loosen up the requirements to allow crossbows, as a lot of DMs don't want firearms in their games. Instead of the feat "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms)", you might just require proficiency with firearms, as there may be classes that grant proficiency instead of them taking it as a feat.

Here is one of the tables Matthew suggested with your data in it. The code came from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313).

Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+2
|
+0
|Trick Shot 1/day

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+3
|
+0
|

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|Bonus Feat

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|Trick Shot 2/day

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|

6th|
+6
|
+5
|
+5
|
+2
|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7
|
+5
|
+5
|
+2
|Trick Shot 3/day

8th|
+8
|
+6
|
+6
|
+2
|

9th|
+9
|
+6
|
+6
|
+3
|Bonus Feat

10th|
+10
|
+7
|
+7
|
+3
|Trick Shot 4/day[/table]

The source in this spoiler should work in your post.
Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+2
|
+0
|Trick Shot 1/day

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+3
|
+0
|

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|Bonus Feat

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|Trick Shot 2/day

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|

6th|
+6
|
+5
|
+5
|
+2
|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7
|
+5
|
+5
|
+2
|Trick Shot 3/day

8th|
+8
|
+6
|
+6
|
+2
|

9th|
+9
|
+6
|
+6
|
+3
|Bonus Feat

10th|
+10
|
+7
|
+7
|
+3
|Trick Shot 4/day[/table]

I look forward to your finished class.

RegarMage
2007-04-03, 04:30 PM
Ok, starting to get down into this, hopefully i'll have it polished up and postable by the end of next week, i take my time on things like this.

I'm planning on using D&D, D20 already has a gunslinger i think.

I dont think i would make it allowable with crossbows, the entire reason for the class is so it would be usable with firearms, my brother wanted to play a pistol wielding character, so i decided to see what i could do. Though i dont see whay i cant make another class for crossbow wielders that incorporates the same concepts

but what to call it...

Ballista Master?
Siege Crossbowman?
Bowgunner?

gonna have to think on that one.

Rnett
2007-04-03, 08:15 PM
Ricochet shot, at least to me, seems rediculous... It's a bullet, it's supposed to hurt by getting lodged in the opponent. At least, that's what guns do with em.

Of course, it's your class, so if you want it and all. But to keep that effect and still hit people, you could name it something like spread shot.

RegarMage
2007-04-04, 07:24 PM
Time for me to impart a bit of knowledge.

Bullets do most of their damage by impact, the shock caused from a bullet striking a target can cause severe bleeding and trauma. This is only made worse by the fact that bullets, being made of lead and with that much force behind them, mushroom on impact with a soft target (I.E. a person), causing even greater injury.

Experiment: get two mik jugs, fill them with water. shoot one with an arrow, shoot the other with a bullet, the difference is plain to see.

Ricochet shot would be rediculous with a bow or crossbow, but with a gun its just like playing a game of pool, off the skeletons skull, off the stone wall, and into the back of the orc. It may not be extremely realistic to be able to do this on a whim (unless maybe you're a professional) but its far from impossible.

Besides, its a fantasy game, we have free reign to bend reality a bit.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 02:04 PM
One thing I would love to see is a Sharp Shooting Slinger Prestige Class. So, what kind of Guns are we talking about here?

RegarMage
2007-04-08, 08:12 PM
rennisance firearms, blackpowder match or flintlock probably, lead ball ammunition.

hmmm, i'm liking the slinger idea, kind of a david VS. goliath thing playing in my head.

RegarMage
2007-04-09, 06:28 PM
I have, through an unfortunate series of circumstances, been seperated from my PHB, so it may take awhile for me to get everything finished. Just keeping you posted.

hehe, on a forum that makes more sense than usual.

Matthew
2007-04-11, 07:13 PM
Okay, stick with it. You do know about the online SRD, don't you? If not, you may find it useful: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm