PDA

View Full Version : Rend Feat

quotemyname
2007-03-28, 09:26 PM
the PHBII was released a short while ago, and it included a feat that allows two weapon wielders to obtain a rend attack if they hit with both of their weapons. Many monsters have rend as a special ability naturally. But what about the ones that don't? What if your playing a character that gets natural attacks but no Rend? I propose the Rend feat. to go along with the feats in the monster manual. in the essence of balance, i will match it as closely as possible to the two-weapon rend feat from PHBII.

Rend [general]

Prerequisites: Dex 15, Two or more natural attacks of the same kind(see special), Multiattack, BAB +11

Benefit: If you successfully hit an opponent with both of your natural attacks, you deal extra damage equal to 1d6 + 1-1/2 times your strength bonus. This extra damage is treated as the same type as your second attack dealt for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction and other effects related to damage type. You can gain this damage once per round against a given opponent.

Special: The attacks used to qualify for this feat must be one type of attack that your character can attack twice with during one attack action (i.e. 2 claws). These attacks must be something that can logically perform a tearing or ripping action. Attacks that qualify are ultimately up to the DM's discresion, but some common examples include claws, quills, and horns (on two different body parts such as arms. not the horns of a minotaur for example).

A fighter may select Rend as a one of his fighter bonus feats. Rangers must select Two-Weapon Rend instead of this feat.

---

As always, any input you guys have would be great!

quotemyname
2007-03-28, 09:31 PM
I plan to play a character that may make use of this feat, so if you would like to post some critiques, please do so with expedience, so that i can get the edges rounded off as fast as possible, run it by my DM, and take the feat as fast as possible. THANKS!

Macrovore
2007-03-28, 09:36 PM
I think it's a pretty good feat. If you want to, by all means, take it. the DM probably won't have a problem with it, unless he doesn't like the PHBII (which he shouldn't. Everyone liked the PHBII)

btw, dude, you have an AWESOME avatar.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-28, 10:42 PM
i second the avatar comment, and almost everything the PH2 should be great, one of my favorite books hands down

Fizban
2007-03-29, 02:45 AM
Feat looks fine to me, and I'll third the avatar comment. I've actually been meaning to ask you where you got it.

quotemyname
2007-03-29, 08:46 AM
wow i made a balanced feat on my first try? thats hard to believe, even if i DID copy most of the text and prereqs from a sourcebook... i thought for sure somebody would find fault with it somewhere.

thanks for all your praises about my avatar... i can't really take credit, i got it from some guy on the internet... but now i can't find him again to give him the credit >_> I appreciate the praises, but i would really like to see what you guys have to say about the feat ;)

Fax Celestis
2007-03-29, 10:13 AM
A fighter may select Rend as a one of his fighter bonus feats. Rangers must select Two-Weapon Rend instead of this feat.

The bit about rangers here confuses me.

Icewalker
2007-03-29, 07:17 PM
Well, I'd say it's a pretty even and fair feat, although it probably wouldn't come into effect much, as few PC races have natural weapons.

Also, I was gonna say great avatar, but it looks like three people beat me to it. GO FIRE EMBLEM!

quotemyname
2007-03-30, 11:20 AM
alright... well the general concensus seems to be that the feat works! is there a finalized list that i should post it on in the hombrew section or something? or does it just sit here? i dunno how that works or whatever. but yes... GO FIRE EMBLEM!

thanks all.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-03-30, 12:00 PM
I was just curious what you are planning to play that will need this? Ex. A monk has improved unarmed strike and could technically two weapon rend with his flurry of blows or just straight up attacking...right? So a prereq, could just be the improved unarmed strike feat.

quotemyname
2007-03-30, 04:51 PM
Riren Koern is currently a fourth level character. He has two class levels in Barbarian, and two additional Hit Dice that come from his natrual werewolf template. In combat, Riren prefers to use his natural combat prowess to viciously maul opponents than he does man-made weapons. Riren carries a sword and shield only for those times when it would be detrimental to transfrom into a ferocious creature.

i am going to take a level of fighter, then procede to take warshaper, and from there, frenzied berzerker. eventually i will pretty much just dive into combat and rip things to shreds ^.^

at i think 7th level i will be capable of boosting my stats to 30 20 30 10 14 10 through transforming then raging. add that to the buff spells the wizard is gonna cast on me, and well... you get the idea. ill pick up rend at 15th

McFayne
2007-03-30, 05:03 PM
A frenzying werewolf? The BBEG of your game better have plenty of silver on hand!