PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Background - Cook

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-23, 08:57 AM
Hey all. I tried at making a cook class because I found Guild Artisan didn't quite fit for all my food needs. Let me know what you think! http://worldbuilderblog.me/2014/12/23/artisanal/

Inevitability
2014-12-23, 09:16 AM
Nitpick: 'Cook job' says to roll a d8, but it has 10 results. Does that mean characters can never become cheesemasters or brewmasters? :smalltongue:

JamesIntrocaso
2014-12-23, 09:59 AM
Nitpick: 'Cook job' says to roll a d8, but it has 10 results. Does that mean characters can never become cheesemasters or brewmasters? :smalltongue:

Oh good catch! Thank you!

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-23, 12:58 PM
This looks good, except the feature is a little all over the place, doing three things at once (Providing free food for the party, setting up meetings with "anyone" by offering a free meal, and earning a comfortable living in your down time - which I believe anyone can do if they spend their down time working).

I would focus this a little more tightly. Eliminating the need to forage and plan for food is pretty good. Maybe in the field you eliminate the need to forage, and during downtime, you can upgrade your allies one higher standard of living at no additional cost, since you can serve a great meal each night?

Or if you want to focus on the social benefits of being a good cook, you could take out the free food, and replace it with the ability to get favors from others who cook for a living, such as being snuck into a royal party through the kitchen, gather rumors from bar servers, or secure accommodations at a local inn for the night?

I wouldn't mention the comfortable living at all, since that's assumed if you are cooking during your downtime.