PDA

View Full Version : What haunts a man? (Or will haunt him)

Kol Korran
2014-12-23, 03:26 PM
Hey there! Though this is about something to do with a pathfinder game, this is entirely a matter of flavor. I seek help in enriching a particular roleplay request of one of my players.

A very brief recap of the story: The party led an army to conquer a demonic fortress, and on the way gained some special powers, marking them as a bit different, supposedly the stuff of legends. (Mythical characters in PF terms). They did conquer the fort, but found the inner citadel protected by a magic barrier, that only receded when they approached. Upon entering however, the barrier closed behind them, and hardened. It was a trap! More than that, a big curse blasted the army troops outside, which inflicted upon them a very fast and progressing lethal disease. The heroes were now on a serious time pressure. The party has been rushing through the citadel, and we stopped the last session while they are still there. They are headed towards a tower.

Ok, now that's out of the way, for my request: The player playing the cleric had a cool roleplay idea. As part as some character development, he'd like to beseech his gods to stop this, but then accept to try and ease the suffering of the troops outside, even if he can't quite stop them, or some such... (Still working on the details). BUT, the main part in this is that he binds himself somewhat to their life force, and when they die, he feels it, and becomes haunted by a fragment of that person's personality, character and life. He becomes haunted by souls fragments of the troops... The player feels it could be awesome to roleplay then, and afterwards.

Now, I think it's awesome! It also gives me a better and far more personal way to show the deaths of the soldiers outside, and press on the characters. My idea is this- every so often as they explore the citadel, I give the player (or do it myself, working on the details) a slip with some basic personal info about a soldier who just died. Something fast, but hopefully with enough personal touch to make you wonder at the person. 10-15 of these will drive the understanding home that people are dying out there, and the loss I hope.

So what I'm looking for, are a some sample of... "Impressions"... of personalities, these can be simple details, longings, regrets, names of people, of places, some last thoughts, some anger, some grief, and so on... shouldn't be too long, about 2-4 sentences at most (A few short ones I would love to even insert in battle).

a bit of background may help: The humanoid country of Mendev (From which most of the troops come), have been in war with the demons for about a century, and the war affected many. The party come to save the country from near destruction, and then led a bunch of units to climb the fort. 4 units have survived:

Knights of the Sovereign order of Sarenrae: A partly religious group, whom the character that makes the bonding had led in person, and which considers him as a sort of a semi-saint. Hard working, highly disciplined group who worships the goddess Sarenrae- general goddess of good, temperance and patience. Composed mostly of warrior types, a few healers. Mostly humans, but different races can be there. They have been a stabilizing force in the march to here.
The Bartlet hounds: led by another character.When the demons obliterated a small halflign village, the survivor- A halfling called Bartlet (Who won't die in this) decided to gather whatever survivors he could and form an elite scouting archery force, (rangers with war dog mounts) who would track down and mercilessly slay any demon they found. They are professional, but quite fun loving when they can. Most are survivor types and form a very tightly knit group, like a small family. A bit like the cliche Scottish dwarves at times.
The first ascendents: A group comprised of mongrelfolk (deformed humanoids, the result of many species magical breeding sort of) which everyone hated, but have recently came out of hiding (Due to the party's deeds). The cleric bound himself to them, and brought them to the campaign, even becoming an adopted brother to them (They call him "spirit"), and whose leader he taught how to lead (Leave the leader to me. He my or may not fall.) They re reclusive, have very intimate relationships with a close few, but rarely with others, suspicious yet highly loyal and devoted. Their goal is to prove themselves so they will have a home for themselves.
The Tiefling host: Prisoners of war, which one of the PCs rescued from execution in return to service. They are part demon, and their souls belong in the abyss. Highly untrusted by everyone else, there have been many attempts to discredit them, but they have (mostly) proven loyalty, even if that is mostly due to "having no place to go back to", and trying to save their own skins. Part of them seek to make a new life, part of them believe they will be taken by demons, a big part is undecided.

All that said, don't limit yourself just to the themes mentioned here! In fact, I'd prefer maybe a touch here, a touch there, but on the whole make them present a new experience, a new outlook, something a bit different to make the characters pause for a second or so...

So, in the words of Monty Python: "Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!" :smalltongue:

LokiRagnarok
2014-12-23, 07:12 PM
You are basically looking for this:
http://xkcd.com/873/

Now that that's out of the way, I admit I didn't read your description of the setting because I was so eager to give options. Here you go:
* He dies peacefully, knowing that his deity of choice will take him in.
* He is, in fact, a woman crossdressed as a man (I read Monstrous Regiment today, mkay?)
* He had always wanted to go and see <local landmark>. Now there is no time left.
* He had no business left anyway. His shop had burned down and he lost his family, so he joined the military out of grief.
* Two characters are locked in a fight as they are consumed by death.
* The Corporal still owed one of the Privates five coins from the last game of cards.
* With his last breathes, the Private forgives the Corporal his debt. He had been a great mentor in this last few days - what are five coins against that?
* She has a child at home. Who will take care of it?
* He was unhappily in love with another soldier.
* As the others around him are dying, a plucky malnourished character who had his rations cut by his superior breaks into the superiors wagon and gorges himself on his delicious food. He dies thinking "take that!"
* He was always the smart brainy one. Shortly before he dies, a brilliant idea strikes him! <You may use this to give the PCs a hint of some sort.> He dies sad he won't be able to tell the PCs.
* The character just had his sexual debut a few seconds ago and is still under the effects of hormones as his legs refuse to hold his weight. He attributes that to his happiness...
* This character is a bit unstable. A world of unnaturally bright colors and whispering noises enters the PCs mind.
* He had a gem hidden on him, having stolen it from his superior, and hoping to make a new life.
* He only went along because all of his friends did.
* He thinks of his last meal with his family.
* He falls to his knees and prays desperately... to an Evil God. You had a cultist amidst your ranks. <Bonus points if the Evil God actually responds. Or hey, how about one of the NPCs summons the local equivalent to Pazuzu? :D>
* He never really loved his wife.
* He cheated an honest man out of house and family.
* There was this one terrible thing he did long ago - and only once. He had lived his life in the desperate hope the Gods had forgiven him. He dies thinking he was mistaken.

That's all I can think of right now.

Zurvan
2014-12-23, 08:52 PM
I don't think that will be too effective.

I mean it didn't prevented me from killing Gunter:

http://lparchive.org/Deception-II/Update%2012/9-ePSXe_2007-06-06_23-36-19-21.jpg

Thoma:

http://lparchive.org/Deception-II/Update%2012/8-ePSXe_2007-06-06_23-36-14-31.jpg

Or Hornstein:

http://lparchive.org/Deception-II/Update%206/34-ePSXe_2007-05-31_17-51-34-64.jpg

In horrible and painful ways with elaborate traps in Kagero: Deception II, a game where you can see brief bios to decide if you're going to kill the character or let him/her live.

But it does sound like an interesting idea. Maybe you should check the game and see if it brings you inspiration.

Kol Korran
2014-12-24, 12:50 PM
You are basically looking for this:
http://xkcd.com/873/].
Quite similar! I knew none of my ideas were original, but then- I never claimed them to be. :smalltongue: Only the cleric won't be killing them, but rather time will... of course, the longer they dally, the more people die, and the player seeks to take the blame on him.

Now that that's out of the way, I admit I didn't read your description of the setting because I was so eager to give options. Here you go:
* He dies peacefully, knowing that his deity of choice will take him in.
* He is, in fact, a woman crossdressed as a man (I read Monstrous Regiment today, mkay?)
* He had always wanted to go and see <local landmark>. Now there is no time left.
* He had no business left anyway. His shop had burned down and he lost his family, so he joined the military out of grief.
* Two characters are locked in a fight as they are consumed by death.
* The Corporal still owed one of the Privates five coins from the last game of cards.
* With his last breathes, the Private forgives the Corporal his debt. He had been a great mentor in this last few days - what are five coins against that?
* She has a child at home. Who will take care of it?
* He was unhappily in love with another soldier.
* As the others around him are dying, a plucky malnourished character who had his rations cut by his superior breaks into the superiors wagon and gorges himself on his delicious food. He dies thinking "take that!"
* He was always the smart brainy one. Shortly before he dies, a brilliant idea strikes him! <You may use this to give the PCs a hint of some sort.> He dies sad he won't be able to tell the PCs.
* The character just had his sexual debut a few seconds ago and is still under the effects of hormones as his legs refuse to hold his weight. He attributes that to his happiness...
* This character is a bit unstable. A world of unnaturally bright colors and whispering noises enters the PCs mind.
* He had a gem hidden on him, having stolen it from his superior, and hoping to make a new life.
* He only went along because all of his friends did.
* He thinks of his last meal with his family.
* He falls to his knees and prays desperately... to an Evil God. You had a cultist amidst your ranks. <Bonus points if the Evil God actually responds. Or hey, how about one of the NPCs summons the local equivalent to Pazuzu? :D>
* He never really loved his wife.
* He cheated an honest man out of house and family.
* There was this one terrible thing he did long ago - and only once. He had lived his life in the desperate hope the Gods had forgiven him. He dies thinking he was mistaken.

That's all I can think of right now.
These are quite awesome, definitely something I could work with. I highlighted a few (or many :smallwink: ) Ideas I really liked- they are a mix of emotions, of sentiments, of impression... A good mix of human (or other races) simple-soldier emotions.

Thanks! quite helpful!

I don't think that will be too effective.

I mean it didn't prevented me from killing Gunter:

Thoma:

Or Hornstein:

In horrible and painful ways with elaborate traps in Kagero: Deception II, a game where you can see brief bios to decide if you're going to kill the character or let him/her live.

But it does sound like an interesting idea. Maybe you should check the game and see if it brings you inspiration.
The player won't be directly killing them. He is in fact trying to save them, but every so often, someone dies. I will search for the game though.

MrStupendous
2014-12-25, 01:38 AM
the dying had a huge argument with their father before they went off to join the Order...dad wanted him to run the family business and has never forgiven him as far as he knows...they haven't spoken since...he regrets never having made the effort to mend the relationship

Kol Korran
2014-12-26, 03:42 AM
the dying had a huge argument with their father before they went off to join the Order...dad wanted him to run the family business and has never forgiven him as far as he knows...they haven't spoken since...he regrets never having made the effort to mend the relationship

That's also a good one! A regret that keeps haunting, sort to speak... :smalltongue:
Thanks!