PDA

View Full Version : [Class] The Channeler: A companion to the Binder

GryffonDurime
2007-03-29, 09:34 PM
I recently decided to start working on a homebrew campaign setting when the idea took hold to make it a strictly pact-magic world...I'd heard several people boast about enjoying the flavor of Binders enough to dedicate an entire setting to them over the graying slot-style casters. So...the problem became one of variety. Sure, Binders are nifty and the mix-and-match style of vestiges provides some impressive options...even still, there were already so many types of arcane and divine casters, even psionics has at least three different core psionics-users! So, here I present the first of several attempts at expanding the pact magic concept, the first being an answer to the Druid of sorts.

While creating this, I wanted to evoke the same creepy and slightly taboo flavor of the binder, but create a more natural approach. To that end, I looked for some inspiration in the films of Hayao Miyazaki: wild vestiges, spirits of nature abused or misunderstood by man in the style of Haku, The Great River Spirit, or the poisonous jungle of Nausica. Please share any opinions you may have, keeping in mind that this is a work HEAVILY in progress.

---

Perversions of mortality and immortality are not the only things capable of being caught forever in that chasm between life and death; the forces and spirits of nature themselves have long been twisted by the efforts of man, who has unwittingly created these “wild vestiges.” Unlike the vestiges of binders, wild vestiges rage at what they have become, and seek pacts with humans not to regain their senses--they never truly had senses to speak of--but instead to avenge themselves on the material world, or even to restore themselves. Because of their wild nature, boundless power, and unabashed intentions, binders dare not even seek out a wild vestige; they leave care of them instead to the soothing presence and serene clarity of the channelers.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/GryffonDurime/channeler.jpg

The Channeler
HD: d8

Abilities: A Channeler must, first and foremost, have both a strong form and will; Constitution and Wisdom are the most essential aspects of a good Channeler. Charisma is likewise important for calming a wild vestige from a rage. Like any class, the Channeler can benefit from a healthy Dexterity.
Alignment: Any alignment’s interests can be served as a Channeler; the Good may seek to redeem and restore wild vestiges while the Evil may simply want to punish the mortals who despoiled nature and created these wild vestiges to begin with.
Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge:Nature, Knowledge: History, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Survival, Swim, Tumble.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Channelers are proficient with all simple weapons and with light and medium armor, but not with any shields.

Soul Channeling (Su): By utilizing a method similar to a binder’s contracts, a channeler may offer their body as a vessel to the power and purpose of a wild vestige. Doing so requires fifteen minutes of meditation while contemplating the wild vestige’s seal, a unique manifestation of their purpose in nature inscribed into a circle. Many channelers carry the seals of their most frequently invoked wild vestiges as holy symbols inscribed into darkwood, mithral, or deep crystal.

Like a binder, the channeler bears obvious physical manifestations of the wild vestige he shares his body. He also develops traits and instincts based on the vestige, though these are drastically less pronounced than a binder’s compunctions. No binding check is required to channel a wild vestige; it is a sharing by both powers and thus can not be considered good or bad.

For all intents and purposes, things that affect vestiges also affect wild vestiges. The only caveat is that a binder is unable to bind a wild vestige in a pact, while a channeler is incapable of establishing a contract with a normal vestige. A channeled wild vestige remains, entwined with your soul, for 24 hours and can not be expelled except by the Expel Vestige feat, and can not be suppressed except in an anti-magic field or similar.

Expel Vestige: Because of the nature of their abilities, a Channeler can revoke their connection to a wild vestige if need be. They receive Expel Vestige as a bonus feat.

Channel Pain (Su): A channeler understands the pain of others and seeks to take it into themselves. By laying their hands onto a willing target as a standard action, the channeler may heal the target of up to 1d6 damage per two Channeler levels. Half the damage healed, rounded up, is dealt to the channeler as Nonlethal damage to represent the strain on mind and spirit.

Health of Mind (Ex): A channeler’s constant strain only serves to strengthen his mind, and as of level five a channeler no longer falls unconscious from nonlethal damage until it reaches double his maximum HP.

Channel Form (Su): A channeler of sufficient power can transcend merely resembling his vestiges; he can, in effect, become them. Each wild vestige lists its chosen form and any modifier gained by increasing to a great, greater, or true form by advancing in class levels.

To channel form, the channeler must make a move action to focus their mind and open their body to the ambient powers of the wild vestige. This form may only be maintained safely for a number of rounds equal to the channeler’s Wisdom modifier. For every round beyond this where the channeler chooses to maintain his vestigial form, he gains a +1 bonus to Strength and a -1 bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma in addition to inflicting 2d6 nonlethal damage. Penalties from “truly wild” form can cause the channeler to fall unconscious if any of his mental statistics drop below 1. All penalties are removed after the character shifts back into his natural form.

A channeled form maintains all the statistics of the character’s normal shape except where noted.

Wild Mind (Su): While in a channeled form, anytime the channeler would be affected by a mind-altering effect, he may make an additional Will save to negate, even if the original effect allowed no save or offered a save without negation.

And, finally, the first "wild vestiges":

1st Level Wild Vestiges

Ko-Ahn-Rhem
The Dead River
1st Level Wild Vestige

A river diverted to feed already fertile lands, Ko-Ahn-Rhem was forced by human hands to abandon the poor souls who’d so long venerated his sacred waters in the Ko-Ahn valley. Now, the bed of the river has taken on the appearance of a snake inverted: a dangerously deep indentation into the sandy wastes, with scales of what were once river-polished stones now left to dull and dissipate in the sun. The spirit of the river still runs its ancient course, no longer connected to the headwaters that had spawned it but unable to die so long as it exists both in the minds of the valley children and in the abomination of the unnaturally created Lake Korim.

Physical Signs: Those who establish a pact with Ko-Ahn-Rhem find themselves with thickly scaled skin the dull, unattractive color of old pebbles. These scales cover all of their body, save the face.

Instincts: Ko-Ahn-Rhem urges those channelers who seek to share in his power to slay those who are careless with water where it is precious, and above all loathes those who try to mold nature without any understanding of the consequences. While in cities or even large towns who utilize implements like waterwheels, dams, or lochs, Ko-Ahn-Rhem fills the channeler’s voice with suggestions of destruction and purification.

Granted Abilities:

Sense Water: Ko-Ahn-Rhem allows his channelers to extend their senses out to ten feet per channeler level, gaining a general knowledge of any water in the area. Organic creatures register, but the only information provided is their distance, direction, and size category. Using this ability requires a move action. Poisons may also be detected by this ability.

Retrieve the Taken: While bound to Ko-Ahn-Rhem, a channeler may make a touch attack against a target to deal 1d6 desiccation damage for every two levels of channeler (max 10d6). Any damage dealt by Retrieve the Taken may not be healed until the target has consumed a pint of water. After use, this ability may not be used again for 1d4+1 rounds.

Swim the Sands: The channeler gains a burrow speed equal to 15 feet per round, and may move through any loosely packed earth such as sand, light gravel, or possibly soil.

Armor of the Fish: Because of the scales that coat the channeler, he gains a +1 bonus to his natural armor with +1 per channeler (max total +5). In addition, he no longer needs to breath for the duration of the channeling.

Form and Abilities:

When Ko-Ahn-Rhem’s form is channeled, the channeler takes on the form of a Large serpent, desert-colored and thickly scaled. Any equipment held that the character would be unable to wear as such melds into his new shape. At all levels, the character gains a bite attack (1d8, poison 1d4-1 Strength damage, Fort. DC 14 negates poison) and also gets a +2 bonus to Constitution.

When a great form is channeled, add +4 to all grapple checks.

When a greater form is channeled, the channeler instead takes on the form of a Huge serpent; bite damage increases to 2d6. The constitution bonus increases by an additional +2.

When Ko-Ahn-Rhem’s true form is changed, the character’s scales become blue and shine with prismatic light. The channeler gains a swim speed equal to 50 feet and is immune to fire. The channeler’s constitution bonus increases by an additional +2.

2nd Level Wild Vestiges

Vhrill
The Breathing Poison
2nd Level Wild Vestige

The forests of Vhrilltane were lush, once. Under the eerie, eternal twilight of the forest’s heavy canopy, there was an entire world redolent with color and life. Fungi of every shape and breed sprang forth to cover the dull gray-brown trunks of the Vhrilltane trees. Flowering vines wound themselves around the fungal mounds and strung themselves between boughs like festival garlands. The air of Vhrilltane was perpetually perfumed with golden pollen and emerald spores, the distinct aroma of growth and the potency of life.

No one now lives to remember the destruction of Vhrilltane. It began with a few trees, taken by human hands to feed their industry. Then next the flowers came to color and scent the ladies of nobility until all that remained was the plethora of fungus. Without care, humans burnt the remnants of Vhrilltane, releasing a foul olive smoke into the air that still hangs over the dead, tainted land to this day.

Physical Signs: Those who channel Vhrill take on a sickly green undertone to their skin, and also seem to be caught in a light cloud of spores.

Instincts: Channelers invoking Vhrill are filled with the need to preserve growth and experience great emotional turmoil if they partake in or even witness the destruction of life. The circumstances of that life make no difference; even the righteous execution of a fiend would be painful.

Granted Abilities:

Scion of Spores: Any enemy that makes a melee attack against a channeler of Vhrill must make a Fortitude save (DC 9 + Channeler level) or be sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Grasping Green: A channeler of Vhrill may use Entangle as a supernatural ability, using his Channeler level in place of caster level. Once used, the channeler may not use this ability again for 1d4 rounds.

Verdant Vengeance: A channeler of Vhrill may make a melee touch attack to deliver a powerful poison. This attack deals 1d8 Con damage, and may be negated by a Fortitude save (9 + Channeler level). Every time this ability is used, the channeler takes 1d8 points of Nonlethal damage for acting against its instinct to preserve life.

Repel the Living: As a full round action, a channeler of Vhrill may invoke an Antilife Shell, centered on themselves, using ½ channeler level in place of caster level. This ability may only be used once per day.

Channeled Forms:

When Vhrill’s form is channeled, the channeler assumes the shape of a more or less humanoid plant not entirely dissimilar to a leafless treant of medium size, but covered in fetid purple fungi and diseased-looking vines. The channeler gains Fast Healing 1 and a gets a +2 bonus to strength.

When Vhrill’s great form is channeled, the channeler gains an additional 1 to Fast Healing and gets a +2 bonus to Fortitude checks.

When Vhrill’s greater form is channeled, the channeler gains a slam attack (1d8); whenever he successfully hits with the slam attack he may make a grapple check as a free action.

When Vhrill’s true form is channeled, the channeler’s form is that of a large, treant-like creature covered with graceful fungi of every shade and festooned with flowering vines. In addition to all other benefits, the channeler gains an additional 1 to Fast Healing, an additional +2 to Strength, increases slam damage to 1d10, and gains plant-type immunities.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 09:38 PM
looks really good actually. I really do like the binder and this looks like it fits pretty well.

Iggero
2007-03-29, 09:47 PM
Sounds great, a nice companion to a binder. What race would you envision as the primary channeler type? Sounds like a psycho elf clan to me.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 09:55 PM
half elf...show them some love

GryffonDurime
2007-03-29, 09:59 PM
Well, my setting is primarily human, thus the use of terminology in there.

Oh, but there will be a couple other classes soon, namely my pact-magic take on divine magic in the form of the Prelate, a servant of the Four-Fold God. Every morning, a Prelate can devote himself to a different aspect of the Four-Fold God: Temperance, Benevolence, Wrath, or Judgment.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 10:01 PM
that actually sounds like a good plane, certianly fits well with the rest of what you have here. Low magic i assume?

GryffonDurime
2007-03-30, 01:23 PM
Updated with the first 2nd level Wild Vestige. Again, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 04:50 PM
This is Awesome. If you need help with anything, I'll be more than happy to lend a hand.

A few notes:

Is there a limit to the number of times a day you can channel a form? Cause it looks like I could use a form, wait for the rounds to get to dangerous, and then re-instate it in the next round. Also, as written, nothing prevents you from stacking forms. A bit of a problem there, but an easily solved one.

I think you either need more vestige levels or more abilities. There are a lot of dead levels there, and the new vestige levels are few and far between, leading to a lot of plateaus followed by a brief jump and than a flat progression for a while. I'd say go with a 6-8 level vestige progression, to spice up the class a bit.

Like the binder, this class needs the ability to channel multiple vestiges. That's not included at the moment. Include it.

I think you should keep the influences/binding checks, merely for flavor purposes. The fact that a vestige could gain some control over your body was pretty damn cool, and that's something I'd like to see kept in, especially as it doesn't harm the character that much.

Channel Form could be made a little stronger, depending on what you do to fix the problems I mentioned in my first point. It's duration is short enough that you can probably up it a little bit. I'd also stay away from the non-lethal damage/strength bonus for keeping it up. Cause there are ways to negate both the ability damage and the non-lethal, and then you can abuse that for practically infinite strength. I'd make it a flat limit to the number of rounds, like the barbarian's rage. So maybe 3+Wisdom mod rounds.

Health of Mind should be twice your current hp, not your max. Otherwise Channel Pain is extremely good, and the non-lethal damage from Channel Form doesn't really mean that much.

Finally, I'd ditch the bonus feats and instead make more flavorful abilities to fit with the class. It's a bit boring as is (although I still love it:smallbiggrin:). Needs some more binder-esque flavor.

Anyway, that's it for now. Hope this helped! And if you need help with anything, just ask!

-The Djinn

GryffonDurime
2007-03-30, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback, it was really what I was looking for. With regards, though:

To the stacking of forms: they do. Each form builds upon the abilities of the last; they're additionals. I'll clarify that. I like the idea for current HP rather than maximum HP, but it creates situations where the class feature would actually knock you out before you hit your normal limit.

The Channeler was designed to be a vestige monogamist. What you loose in the versatility of having several vestiges as a binder, you gain in having the ability to channel forms, pain...I think I might add in more flavorful abilities that deal with the channeler's empathic capacities.

AmberVael
2007-03-30, 05:23 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
I just completed a class called the Channeler...
Damn it. I might have to wait for this to fall back a page or so before I post it to avoid any confusion... or I could just change the title name. Hm. Oh well.
*annoyance*

Anyways, looks cool. I always liked the binder.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 05:27 PM
To the stacking of forms: they do. Each form builds upon the abilities of the last; they're additionals. I'll clarify that.

Yes. I know. But if you have multiple vestiges, you have multiple forms. And can stack those seperate forms.

I like the idea for current HP rather than maximum HP, but it creates situations where the class feature would actually knock you out before you hit your normal limit.

Considering normal non-lethal damage rules are when non-lethal damage=your current total, it would be an improvement in keeping with normal rules.

The Channeler was designed to be a vestige monogamist. What you loose in the versatility of having several vestiges as a binder, you gain in having the ability to channel forms, pain...I think I might add in more flavorful abilities that deal with the channeler's empathic capacities.

In that case, it needs to be MUCH stronger. You lose a lot of versatility, which was one of the really awesome points of the binder. In addition, the vestiges need to have more abilities. Neither of the two you have up is something I'd dedicate 20 levels of my character to having. If you want just one vestige, you're more limited than the warlock. And the warlock gets a bit restrictive after a while. So you'll either need long lists of abilities, or, as I'd humbly suggest, multiple vestiges. Or one more option...you gain some really good and reusable abilities in some of those dead levels.

'Cause Dealing 10d6 damage once every 1d4+1 rounds simply isn't enough of an attack for something with fairly poor battle skills and a lack of spells.

-The Djinn

Ivius
2007-03-30, 05:44 PM
Pretty cool. But it seems to be a bit underpowered... Maybe add some Druid spells if it doesn't destroy the flavor.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 05:49 PM
Why Druid spells? Doesn't make sense at all.

Anyway, I think he's trying specifically for a no-traditional-magic class here. So Druid spells are out.

But I'd agree it's underpowered.

-The Djinn

Ivius
2007-03-30, 06:07 PM
If I read this correctly, Channelers are supposedly close to nature, so it seemed reasonably appropriate. And I might perhaps not use too many definitive statements.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 06:42 PM
Only maybe...I think :smallbiggrin:.

But anyway...what do you know? You're right!

Odd...nothing in it really said natural to me, but I guess I see it now. Still, I'd head away from spells, except maybe as vestige abilities.

-The Djinn (Now with spiffy new Avatar!)

GryffonDurime
2007-03-30, 07:15 PM
I can see what you mean...to that end, I think maybe -three- wild vestiges at a time may be reasonable, perhaps with some small caveat? You have all three open to you--which is what takes the big morning meditation--and then you can switch between vestiges as a free action, but you still only get one at a time? Is that a reasonable compromise between the flavor of channeling one being at a time and the mechanics of versatility?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 07:18 PM
That works. But be sure to make the vestiges very worthwhile. Currently this is much weaker than the Binder. Although you do have more vestiges in store, so I look forward to seeing where this goes. :smallbiggrin:

-The Djinn

GryffonDurime
2007-03-30, 07:26 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble balancing the powers offered by my vestiges, though, since they also offer you the ability to channel forms...I might be overestimating how much that's worth, though.

I might be playtesting it tonight...

Hm, I'm trying to think of ways for a binderesque class to fit the support role, given the modestly offensive style of the Binder...maybe an aura for their vestiges? Or would that finally be pushing the limit, with a three-vestige setup?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-03-30, 07:29 PM
Honestly, the Binder gets 4 (or is it 5?) vestiges. All at the same time. All granting additional abilities with his Vestige whatever-its-called. All granting a whole host of abilities.

You have nothing to worry about. This thing is far underpowered. You can push the limit quite a bit and still be completely fine.

-The Djinn