PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Assassin and thief or allowing 2 archetypes

mictrepanier
2014-12-27, 09:45 PM
When I tried to convert 1st edition assassin + thief to 5e, I found out that I did not see a thread about allowing 2 archetypes. Flexibles DM will allow once a feature from 1st class, then from the other at the next relevant level. Other ideas ?

zeek0
2015-01-02, 11:15 AM
When I tried to convert 1st edition assassin + thief to 5e, I found out that I did not see a thread about allowing 2 archetypes. Flexibles DM will allow once a feature from 1st class, then from the other at the next relevant level. Other ideas ?

As long as your character has the proper skill proficiencies, they are not overly gimped in terms of being one or the other. A thief can still backstab well, and an assassin can still pick a lock. I would just pick the subclass that best fits the character, and fill in the gaps with skill proficiencies that work.

Cheers.

mictrepanier
2015-01-02, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your input!

Amechra
2015-01-06, 03:30 PM
There's also the fact that you would have to be heavily careful on setting a precedent. Otherwise, you can get some pretty strong combinations (Wizard Schools or Bard Colleges, anyone?)

Extra Anchovies
2015-01-06, 03:41 PM
There's also the fact that you would have to be heavily careful on setting a precedent. Otherwise, you can get some pretty strong combinations (Wizard Schools or Bard Colleges, anyone?)

Indeed. Not every ability is equal; some archetypes get an okay feature at level x and a great one at level y, others get a great one at x and an okay one at y. Combining the two (and picking both great features) would be bad.

mictrepanier
2015-01-06, 05:10 PM
True, even if theorically all features are created equal at the same level... Always DM call.