PDA

View Full Version : Contest D&D 3.5: You make the spell challenge.

Jormengand
2014-12-28, 01:28 PM
After the success of the MtG challenge, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365653-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-Challenge!) how about a similar game with D&D spells? I figure that homebrew is the right place for it, given the same is true of other brew competitions.

Each post should contain a short critique of the spell made by the poster before them, a spell that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

Please put your spell entries in the following format:

Name
School (Subschool) [Descriptor]
Level: Class X, Otherclass Y, Domain Z
Components: V/S/M/F/DF/XP etc.
Casting Time: 1 immediate/swift/move/standard action, X rounds/minutes/hours, X days (8 hours per day), etc.
Range: Short (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels), Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level), Long (400 ft + 40 ft/level), etc.
Effect/Area: 1 purple squirrel, 10-ft radius centred on you, etc.
Duration: X rounds/minutes/hours/days(/level), permanent, instantaneous, etc.
Saving throw: Fortitude/Reflex/Will Negates/Partial/Half, Will disbelief, etc.
Spell resistance: Yes or no.

What the spell does is written here.

M/F/DF/XP component goes here.

For example:

Antimagic Field
Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: See text

Screw you, I'm not copying the full text of AMF.

Arcane Material Component
A pinch of powdered iron or iron filings.

Acid Arrow
Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M, F
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: One arrow of acid
Duration: 1 round + 1 round per three levels
Spell Resistance: No

A magical arrow of acid springs from your hand and speeds to its target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The arrow deals 2d4 points of acid damage with no splash damage. For every three caster levels (to a maximum of 18th), the acid, unless somehow neutralized, lasts for another round, dealing another 2d4 points of damage in that round.

Material Component
Powdered rhubarb leaf and an adder’s stomach.

Focus
A dart.

So, if anyone's interested, how's about making a ninth-level divination?

Demidos
2014-12-28, 01:42 PM
Analyze Resources
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Bard 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 24 hours

When you cast this spell, your eyes briefly glow red before returning to normal. By observing someone (as a free action once per turn) you can determine an approximation of that creature's net wealth (within 10%), their single most valuable or valued item (player's choice), and their most powerful ally (this ally must be willing or forced to help. A peasant is usually not allies with their manor lord, but a wizard with a pet balor could register the balor). Each subsequent round of observation yields the next most valuable item and ally.
This spell also informs you of the location of any valid analysis target within 60 feet. Should they be protected from vision in some way, you are allowed a caster level check against the obscuring effect with a +10 bonus (e.g. If the foe is hiding, you can make a caster level check with the bonus against their hide check. If the foe has improved invisibility up, you make a caster level check with the +10 bonus as if you were attempting to dispel the effect.) Success allows you to notice the creature despite its protections.

Focus: A small glass eye worth 500 gp.

DM Suggestion: Set up a minimum price range that would set off the detector (so your players dont run you ragged asking about peasants), or just follow reasonable questioning.

Jormengand
2014-12-28, 02:04 PM
Remember to set a new challenge for the next player as well.

EDIT: In fact, next player make an evocation which deals no damage, and please remember your challenge.

LordotTrinkets
2014-12-30, 06:23 PM
Analyze Resources: In general, this sounds like it would be ideally used by villains to exploit the weaknesses of the heroes. Leverage to either corrupt them or to get them off his tail.

Disruptive Pulse
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: S/F
Area: 15 ft + 5 ft/level radius centered on you
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving throw: Fortitude(Harmless, See Below)
Spell resistance: No

You unleash a powerful current of electricity all around you. Instead of arcing through everyone around, however, it diffuses into the air and causes interference in constructs and the casting of various spells.

All constructs in the area must make a fortitude save or be unable to move, effectively paralyzed. In addition, if anyone casts a spell with the [Electricity] descriptor within the area of the spell, they must make a spellcraft check (as the Fortitude save) or have the effective target of the spell be himself, receiving all the effects that a normal target of the spell would. The caster still loses the spell for the day.

EDIT: If the affected spell has an area of line or cone, the spell emanates from the original caster's feet and fires straight upward, thus affecting any creature that might be above.

If the disrupted spell has multiple targets or anything else that requires some conscientious decision, you are the person who makes any such decisions. For instance, Nebin the illusionist casts Disruptive Pulse and Mialee casts chain lightning. She fails the spellcraft check, so she takes the full damage of the spell and Nebin gets to choose 13 secondary targets (Mialee being level 13). She only has 3 allies, so he only selects only three secondary targets and leaves the last 10 alone.

The original caster can make one additional spellcraft check per turn for the normal duration of the backfired spell or Disruptive Pulse, whichever is shorter (it is still possible for the user of the spell to switch again, however, it is a battle of mastery the entire time). So if someone casts Call Lightning and loses control of it in the first round, he can regain it on the second round and lose it again on the third round.

Focus: A small copper ring

For my first challenge, I'm going to combine the basics of the previous two challenges. A divination that DEALS damage! :smalltongue:

EDIT: Goodness, that really DID need to be properly defined! Might just be me being my usual, overly technical self again though.

Rawrawrawr
2014-12-30, 07:32 PM
Disruptive Pulse: I think the electrical backfiring needs to be elaborated on though. Do they take damage as if the spell had hit them? It says injure - does that mean they don't suffer additional effects beyond damage? Does the spell slot get wasted? Etc etc. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool spell. It's a good idea and I haven't seen anything like it implemented before.

Far Visions
Divination
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 6
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/level)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round/level; see text
Saving throw: Will negates; see text
Spell resistance: Yes

You force one creature to peer into the horrific plane known as the Far Realm. The creature takes 3d6 damage and 1d4 points of Wisdom damage each round its affected as its mind struggles to understand what it's seeing. Creatures that are immune to mind-affecting effects are immune to this damage. At the end of each of the creature's turns, it may make a Will saving throw to end the effect.

Whenever someone peers into the Far Realm, the Far Realm looks back. Every round the affected creature fails a saving throw against this effect, the creature suffers a cumulative 10% chance of being noticed by some eldritch horror. If the creature is noticed, it must make another Will saving throw or be immediately dragged into the Far Realm. All creatures that see the target get dragged into the Far Realm must make a Will saving throw or take 1d6 points of Wisdom damage.

Focus: A looking glass with a noticeable aberration in the glass.

For my challenge: A spell that has a different effect for each possible alignment of the user.

ezkajii
2015-01-14, 04:07 PM
Edit: Actually, first, a critique of Far Vision: Unfortunately(?) I think it was a pretty well-made spell. Possible addition: An option when the target is grabbed by the eldritch abomination to try to tear it OUT OF the far realm and into the subject's plane?

First, as a preamble, a spell that I don't think exactly fits what you asked for but which was inspired by your challenge: Embody Aura
Evocation (alignment subtype matching caster's)
Level: Cleric 5
Components: V, S, DF
Effect: One temporary creature
Duration: 1 minute/level

You bring carnal life to the aura of morality and ethics that you exude at all times. You no longer radiate any alignment components to spells such as detect good. Secondly, you create a creature of the elemental type which possess alignment subtypes to match your own. The creature's stats match that of a Small air elemental if you previously radiated a faint aura, Medium if it was moderate, Large if it was Strong, or Huge if it was Overwhelming, except as follows: All special attacks are eliminated. The creature gains Smite 1/day, useable against a creature who possesses an aligment component opposite the Aura Elemental. It does not possess the Extraplanar subtype. Its natural weapons always bypass damage reduction as if they were aligned weapons matching the alignment subtypes the creature possesses.

And now, my official response to the challenge:
Home Turf
Variable school; see text
Level: Cleric 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Area: 20ft + 10ft/lvl Edit: Sphere with radius 5ft + 5ft/level
Target: All creatures within area
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You modify an area of land to make it more in tune with your own personality. The exact nature of the modification depends on your alignment, as shown below (applied cumulatively for each alignment component).

Lawfulness: No creature may move more than 5ft from another creature willingly; any who begin or are forced into such a position are compelled to travel to a spot within 5ft of another creature as quickly as possible. This is similar to a panicked condition with respect to means of travel. This is a mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect.
Chaos: All creatures lose the ability to communicate; words, gestures, telepathy, and other means of communication involving at least one creature who is within the affected area is garbled and unintelligible. Additionally, all creatures in the area begin to hallucinate; they cannot discern friend from foe, and suffer a -4 penalty on all Wis-based skill checks as well as attack rolls. This is a mind-affecting illusion (phantasm) effect.
Good: All evil creatures are clearly marked as such by removing all color from their bodies and clothing, and displaying in red glowing text above their heads the strongest evil intentions or desires they have towards the person viewing them. However, they are forbidden from acting on these impulses for the duration of the spell. This is a mind-affecting illusion effect; the decoloration is a glamer, the text display is a phantasm.
Evil: All creatures are paralyzed and take 5 points of damage each round as intense pain wracks their bodies. As an immediate action, any intelligent creature so affected can utter a command word announced at the time of casting as part of the verbal component and chosen by the caster (usually something such as 'mercy' or 'i beg you') to be freed from the damage and paralysis in exchange for a -8 penalty on all rolls made for the duration of the spell. This is a necromancy effect.
Neutrality: All creatures are affected as by a calm emotions spell. If the caster of this spell is neutral on both alignment axes, any creatures with an alignment subtype or which radiate an overwhelming aura of an alignment other than true neutral are knocked prone and pinned to the ground by an invisible force (grapple check modifier +30). If they resist the pin and stand up they are subject to a repeated grapple attempt each round they remain within the affected area. This is an enchantment (charm) effect; the true neutral effect is an evocation effect.

Material Component: A handful of dirt or dust from your current location.

NEW CHALLENGE: A time-travel-themed or -related cantrip.

MrNobody
2015-01-15, 02:12 PM
My advices on Home Turf: I like it. Defining a composite effect like you did is definitely better that creating 9 completly different effects.
Just a couple of notes. 1st: the area seems too wide to me. Maybe making it half that wide (10ft+10ft/2 levels) may be better.
2nd:You made a single "Neutrality" section but, to better fulfill the request, iy may be better to have represented neutrality on both axes.
3rd: There may be a problem with CE effect. Chaotic: no telepathy; Evil: you get a telepathic message. It may not be a conflict but you may want to clarify.

My spell now.

Time Hiccup
Transmutation
Level: Bard 0, Beguiler 0, Sor/Wiz 0.
Components: V.
Casting Time: 1 immediate action.
Area: Personal.
Target: You.
Duration: Istantaneous.

You react to an incoming danger with an hiccup imbued with the energy of time. This powerful sob pushes you back along the stream of time by one second, giving you an extra instant to defend yourself.
You gain a +1 insight bonus to your AC and your saves against that particular incoming danger.

NEW CHALLENGE: An arcane spell linked to a specific deity (your choice).

CinuzIta
2015-01-16, 03:54 AM
Rallaster's Tendrils
Necromancy [Evil, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Wiz/Sor 4, Hex 3.
Components: V/M.
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Short (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels).
Target: 1 living creature.
Duration: concentration.
Saving throw: Fortitude partial (see text).
Spell resistance: No.

This spell is vastly used by evil spellcasters, sadists and torturers all around the world who are devoted to Rallaster, as this spell is so cruel that few others would use it. As long as the caster concentrates, she can deliver an horrible and wrecking pain sensation on the target at will. The victim of the spell suffers no real damage but is limited to partial actions while the spell is active and suffers a -10 malus on any Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks as long as she suffers for the spell's effect. Once the spell ends, the target must succeed on a Fortitude check; if the target fails, he is exhausted.

Material component: Rallaster's unholy symbol.

I hope I've done everything good, this is the first time I create a spell!

Here is the deity for those of you who don't know who Rallaster is: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Rallaster

As the next spell I'd like to see One that cancel the target's memory.

ezkajii
2015-01-20, 12:07 PM
Just a few minor notes: Effect/Area: 1 living creature should probably be listed as Target: instead. I would remove the figment subschool as this is a necromancy effect, and change the saving throw entry to Fortitude partial (see text), giving an initial fortitude save to resist the pain effect and a second fort save to resist the exhaustion. Also this is not a death effect so remove that descriptor. Otherwise, it seems solid; the exhaustion effect at the end after suffering from partial actions is kind of icing on the Crucio Cake.

Now for a spell to cancel target memory, I based this off of modify memory:

Mind Eraser
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Range: Close
Target: One living creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates

This spell functions as modify memory, except it affects as many as 30 minutes of the target's memories, can implant even illogical memories (which will be accepted as true, regardless of the creature's natural inclinations or intuition), and the casting time does not increase based on the amount of remembered time you wish to modify.
Special: If this spell is reflected back upon or redirected at the original caster by any means, said caster suffers a permanent anterograde amnesia effect. They are unable to form new memories, including gaining levels, learning spells, etc. This amnesia can only be removed by a break enchantment spell cast by a character of equal or higher level than the afflicted caster, or by a restoration, wish, or miracle spell. Because this special effect may not become evident for some time, determining the cause or treatment may be difficult.

Next request: A spell that combines two mechanically or thematically opposite spell effects into one cohesive unit (like haste and slow, or bless and bestow curse)

CinuzIta
2015-01-20, 03:30 PM
Just a few minor notes: Effect/Area: 1 living creature should probably be listed as Target: instead. I would remove the figment subschool as this is a necromancy effect, and change the saving throw entry to Fortitude partial (see text), giving an initial fortitude save to resist the pain effect and a second fort save to resist the exhaustion. Also this is not a death effect so remove that descriptor. Otherwise, it seems solid; the exhaustion effect at the end after suffering from partial actions is kind of icing on the Crucio Cake.

Thank you, fixed the spell! About the Saving Throw: I put "Will disbelief" because the spell was intender to be an illusion that just create a false sensation of pain! But for simplicity sake I opted to just go with Fortitude.

Anyway, I'll let someone else go on with the challenge!

ezkajii
2015-01-20, 11:17 PM
Thank you, fixed the spell! About the Saving Throw: I put "Will disbelief" because the spell was intender to be an illusion that just create a false sensation of pain! But for simplicity sake I opted to just go with Fortitude.

Anyway, I'll let someone else go on with the challenge!

Oh, I see! It could easily be reworked as illusion too, you just had it listed as necromancy so i went with that in my review. Either way :)

MrNobody
2015-01-22, 04:45 AM
I've not that much to say about Mind Eraser, except that the drawback seems to me a little to much. Cool idea but a permanent stop to leveling up? that's huge!
Also, this drawback is a mind affecting effect like the spell itself? If it is the drawback you can leave it as it is: a wizard able of casting Mind Eraser can also know and cast Mind Blank to protect himself. If he doesn't he deserves the amnesia :smallbiggrin:

That's my spell now, i've had a lot of ideas (raise a dead spirit as a deathless and his boby as an undead, a disintegration that lets you create again what you destroyed, an arcane seed that allows casting in dead-magic zones but dispels the spells cast to auto-fuel itself...) but i think i'll finally go with this. The spell uses the rules for dual school spells that you can be found in Player Handbook II, p.95.

Swap summoning
Abjuration / Conjuration (summoning)
Level: Sorc/Wiz. 7.
Components: V,S,F
Casting Time: 1 istandard action.
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels).
Target: One summoned creature.
Duration: see text.
Saving throw: Will Negates (see text).
Spell resistance: Yes.

This spell, often used by conjurers that want to be more versatile or by wizards that have to deal with other conjurers, allows you to exchange a summoned creature with another of your choice.
Select a summoned creature (the spell doesn't work with creatures conjured with spells with the (calling) subtype) as a target: that creature must make a successful Will save or be forced back to its home plane, as per the dismissal spell. If the target creature was summoned by one of your own spells it automatically fails the save.
Once the creature is banished, you use the residual power of the spell to summon another one. If the original creature was summoned by a spell that has a list of summonable creatures (such as summon monster I, summon natural ally I) you must choose a creature from the same list. If the original creature was summoned by a spell that summons a specific type of creature (summon bearded devil) you must summon another of that creatures or a creature summoned by a similar spell of the same level. For example if you cast this spell on a bearded devil summoned with summon bearded devil (4th level spell) you must summon another bearded devil or an hound archon (summon hound archon is also a 4th level spell).
The new summoned creature is now under your control.
This spells has no duration on its own but continues the duration of the original spell. The caster is allowed to start concentrating on it, even if concentration on the original spell was lost.

Arcane Focus: a silk string knotted and bended into an "8" shape.

My next challenge: a spell that deals with paper!

ezkajii
2015-02-04, 05:37 PM
Very interesting concept for a spell, initially the level seemed a bit high but to combine a banishment and summoning spell into one it seems appropriate.

Paperize
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, XP (see text)
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round or more; see text
Saving Throw: Fort negates

The target of this spell loses the powerful body they previously possessed only to have it replaced by an origami construction of identical make. The creature loses all armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses to AC, any extraordinary damage reduction, and any permanent immunity or resistance to fire. Its Strength score becomes one, but it gains the ability to glide by jumping straight up; it can then travel sideways 10ft for every 5ft it is to fall. Critically, the target of this spell also becomes especially vulnerable to fire, taking double damage from all such sources.

XP Cost: This spell's effect lasts for 1 round, plus an additional round for every 100XP spent on its casting, up to a maximum of 1000XP.

Material Focus: A well-crafted origami crane (costing at least 1gp)

Next Challenge: A spell that produces some kind of unusual/exotic weather phenomenon.

MrNobody
2015-02-09, 06:17 AM
You did great: a papery debuff is something i wasn't expecting! I expecially like how you linked XP spent and spell duration: it's like the caster must spend it's own life force to keep the enemy in that state.

You asked for an exotic weather phenomenon: i couldn't hold back... but i tried... i swear!

Sharknado

Conjuration (summoning) [air]
Level: Druid 9, Sorc/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, F, XP.
Casting Time: 1 full round action.
Range: Long.
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Effect: Cyclone 15 ft. wide at the base, 45 ft wide at the top, and 50 ft tall, filled with sharks.
Saving Throw: see text
Spell Resistance: Yes.

You call the power of oceanic storms and conjure a dreadful tornado that houses a school of hungry sharks.
The spell works like Whirlwind spell, except for what follows. Every round, a creature caught in the area of the cyclone (or trapped in it) is attacked by one of the sharks that swims inside it. The shark attacks as a Huge shark (bite 2d6+7) with an attack bonus of +15 (that includes the +10 bonus for the bite attack, a +2 for charging and a +3 competence bonus for the push given to the shark by the tornado).
In addition, once per round, you can concentrate as a move action and command the whirlwind to expel one of the sharks toward a target within 60 ft.: the launched shark has a +15 attack bonus and deals double damage on a successful attack. After the attack the launched shark vanishes.

Focus: a megalodon tooth inscribed with clouds and whirlwinds, worth at least 100 gp.
XP cost: 100 exp.

Next challenge: dinosaurs, but no summoning!

Zaydos
2015-02-09, 09:17 PM
Probably could go without the XP cost and just the material component.

Form of the Threehorned Beast
Transmutation(Polymorph)
Level: Druid 6, Sorcerer/wizard 6
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1swift action
Duration: 1round/level (D)

You transform your body, growing huge and bestial. You take the form of a triceratops (MM page 61). You gain 50 temporary hit points, which disappear at the end of the spell's duration. See the Polymorph Subschool sidebar (Complete Mage or Players Handbook II for more details).

Challenge: Make a 9th level Divination spell.

AttilaTheGeek
2015-02-10, 04:24 AM
I was going to say it sounds weak compared to regular polymorph, but then I noticed it was a swift action cast. Compared to the 2nd-level Alter Self with Quicken Spell, this is far stronger. I don't know what the triceratop's CR is, but you can (I think?) choose to immediately transform back and use this just for 50 temporary hit points.

Ultimate Scrying
Divination (Scrying)
Level: Cleric 9, Druid 9, Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Components: V/S
Range: Unlimited

Ultimate Scrying is a guaranteed form of scrying: the target is denied a Will save to resist being scryed upon. In addition, the following spells are automatically active through the sensor: True Seeing, Detect Thoughts (only on the target), and Greater Arcane Sight. The target does not receive a save against this Detect Thoughts effect. Any other divination spell that gives information and does not deal damage, impose status conditions, restrict, control, or otherwise affect can be cast through the sensor.

Challenge: A healing spell that's more interesting than "heal XdY+Z and remove this list of status conditions".

ezkajii
2015-02-10, 09:23 AM
Very powerful, but as a 9th-level divination I suppose it should be. I assume it's at least SR:Yes? You don't have it listed.

Hopefully this counts:
Reactive Panacea
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Cleric 7, Healer 6, Healing 6, Paladin 3
Range: Touch
Duration: 2 hours/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

You bestow a single creature with a powerful charge of healing magic. This charge is capable of immediately healing the subject of any single malady they might experience.
The subject of this spell may use an immediate action to utter the command word you designate at the time of casting to discharge this spell, immediately curing them of any one of the following: all ability damage, one ability score's ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, stunned, poisoned, all negative levels, any magical penalties to ability scores, skill checks, attack or damage rolls, or AC. Alternately, this spell can be discharged to heal the subject of 1d6 damage per caster level.

Challenge: A spell with an extraterrestrial theme/feel to it.

MrNobody
2015-02-11, 07:09 AM
The reactive part make the spell different from the usual cure spell but the effect, in the end, it is not. I think that it's hard to come up with a cure that does not rely on debuffs and HPs. Good job overall!

Starchild form.

Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 8
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 10 min/level (D)

You summon the power of a race that lives far beyond the stars and gain some of their outstandig abilities.
As long as you are affected by this spell your neck and your index fingers are stretched to three times their normal lenght and this gives you a -2 penalty on Balance and Acrobatics checks and on skill checks that requires you to manipulate objects.
While affected by this spell you can use mage hand, prestidigitation and light (light sprouts from the tip of your index finger) at will as spell-like abilities.
You can also use telekinesis and contact other plane as spell-like abilities three times each as long as the spell lasts. The caster level for all these spell like abilities is equal to your caster level.
You also gain the ability form an empathic link with every creature in 60 ft. making you able to feel other's emotions and show yours to other via telepathy.
In the end, when you cast this spell you can select a willing creature within 30 ft. from you: until the spell expires you and taht creature share equally any kind of damage (even ability damage, but not drain) you take. If you are hit by a spell that deals you 40 points of damage you only suffer 20 points of damage and the linked creature sufferers the rest. You and the selected creature share magical cure in the same way.

Material component: a silver saucer that must be thrown in the air upon completing the spell.

Next challenge: A spell with an cyberpunk theme/feel to it.

LordotTrinkets
2015-02-11, 01:39 PM
At first, I wasn't too impressed, but it got much better as I read on. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you're referencing something, but I'm probably not literate enough in sci-fi to figure out just what.

Here's my spell (again, not very much into sci-fi, but here it goes)

Dominate Construct (AKA Hack)
Enchantment (Compulsion)[Mind-Affecting
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Components: V/S/M
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: All constructs (see below) under the power of the target
Saving throw: Will Negates
Spell resistance: Yes

You target a wizard or some other being with at least one construct under its command. If the Will save is failed, you gain all the authoritative status of that individual toward constructs. All constructs treat as though you were that individual, in effect. This means that if the target had complete control, you gain complete control. The target had only partial control, you only gain partial control, etc.

For this spell, 'construct' refers to anything with the construct type or any mechanism/magical device that can be activated/deactivated by the target. So if a door can only be opened by the target, you can now open that door.

The target loses all his authority over a construct until the spell ends or is disspelled (including if the target casts Hack on the caster)

Material component: A small piece of the target

Next challenge: A spell based off a well-known adage (lead balloon, water off a duck, etc.)

MrNobody
2015-02-11, 02:42 PM
At first, I wasn't too impressed, but it got much better as I read on. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you're referencing something, but I'm probably not literate enough in sci-fi to figure out just what.

Steven Spielberg' s "E.T. The extra terrestrial". Long neck and fingers, Mage Hand and telekinesis for its ability to move things and People, prestidigitation for it's minor powers (such as reviving a dead Flower), light on its finger, the empatic and Life link like He had with Elliot (The Child of The film).
And contact The plane because "ET Phone home".

I leave comments and a new spell Yo someone else! :)

LordotTrinkets
2015-02-11, 03:47 PM
Steven Spielberg' s "E.T. The extra terrestrial". Long neck and fingers, Mage Hand and telekinesis for its ability to move things and People, prestidigitation for it's minor powers (such as reviving a dead Flower), light on its finger, the empatic and Life link like He had with Elliot (The Child of The film).
And contact The plane because "ET Phone home".

I leave comments and a new spell Yo someone else! :)

Well... that should have been obvious... In that case, makes perfect sense and seems like a fun idea. Maybe having some sort of water dependence (as I think that it was the dry, earth air that was E.T.'s problem?) would be a good addition too.

Temotei
2015-02-11, 04:06 PM
Chain of Vigor
Abjuration
Level: Clr 5, Courage 4, Protection 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Target: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Upon casting this spell, allies (including the caster) in range are magically chained together. While chained in this manner, all targets gain a +6 morale bonus to AC and Will saving throws as each chained creature feels more secure with the support of its allies. In addition, the target with the highest amount of current hit points sets the rest of the targets' current hit point totals. For example, if the spell chains three targets, one with 29 hp, one with 42 hp, and one with 16 hp, all three targets would have their hit points set to 42 hp immediately. This is not healing, and so is not subject to healing reduction or immunity; it simply sets the target creatures' hit points to the highest amount in the chain. This hit point alteration is instantaneous, and therefore will remain even after the spell's other effects have disappeared. If a creature would have its hit points raised above its maximum in this manner, it gains temporary hit points beyond its maximum to match the rest of the chained creatures' totals until after the spell expires.

This spell has no effect if cast on a single target.

Material Component
A metal chain with no obvious weak links.

Chain of Weakness
Abjuration
Level: Balance 4, Clr 5, Fate 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Targets: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Will partial; see text

Upon casting this spell, creatures in range who fail their Will saving throw are magically chained together. While chained in this manner, all targets move at half their normal speed and can only move up to 30 feet away from the closest fellow target. In addition, the target with the lowest amount of current hit points sets the rest of the targets' current hit point totals. For example, if the spell chains three targets, one with 29 hp, one with 42 hp, and one with 16 hp, all three targets would have their hit points set to 16 hp immediately. This is not damage, and so is not subject to any damage reduction or immunity to damage; it simply sets the target creatures' hit points to the lowest amount in the chain. This hit point alteration is instantaneous, and therefore will remain even after the spell's other effects have expired.

If the spell affects only a single target, only the speed penalty applies.

Material Component
A metal chain with a single obvious weak link.

Temotei
2015-02-11, 04:10 PM
So, you got a bonus spell! Whoo.

I'm putting this in a separate post because I'm ridiculous and I don't like having text other than the spells themselves in posts with my spells.

Anyway, great request.

EDIT: Oh, and the adage was "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." I just extended it with the strongest link spell.

Next Challenge: In the spirit of the current Base Class Contest, how about a spell that is either converted from another tabletop game or is in the spirit of another tabletop game?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-11, 05:02 PM
Next Challenge: In the spirit of the current Base Class Contest, how about a spell that is either converted from another tabletop game or is in the spirit of another tabletop game?

Are we counting RPG parodying card games? 'cause I am! So, for those rare times when you need to use your Marvelous Pigments without dropping your staff, or when you just can't choose between magic rings...

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/cards/cheatwithbothhands/img/cover_lg.jpg

Cheat!
Enchantment
Range: Touch
Target: One weapon, shield, set of armor, or other wearable/hold-able magic item
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Upon casting this spell, the touched item begins to defy the normal rules of reality. For the duration of the spell you may wield or wear the enchanted item even if normal rules (such as number of occupied hands or number of occupied body slots) would prohibit it. Non-stacking bonuses still do not stack, but all other effects of wielding or wearing the item apply as normal.

Material Component
A weighted die or marked playing card.

Challenge
Make a spell that transfers something other than damage between two or more targets.

Heliomance
2015-02-12, 08:33 AM
Rary's Telepathic Gestalt
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Target: You plus one willing creature per three levels, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 10 min/level (D)

You forge a telepathic bond among yourself and a number of willing creatures, each of which must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher. Each creature included in the link is linked to all the others. Affected creatures find their minds merging into one entity. While they retain their sense of individuality, any member of the link can communicate telepathically with the others, perceive all of the other link members' senses, and (with permission of the body owner) control any body in the link. Each link member's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are treated as equal to the highest Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma in the link, and each member can use any abilities possessed by the link that are not tied to a physical body - any member can cast spells if one member is a Wizard, for example, though it still expends the Wizard's spell slot as normal.

Material Component
A drop of blood from each member of a Dvati pair.

Challenge: A spell that encourages you to specialise in a single element.

Jormengand
2015-02-12, 12:16 PM
Helio, remember to offer constructive criticism of the above spell. :smallsmile:

Cheat: I like the idea, but unfortunately, there's a reason that those feats you're emulating are epic feats.

Gestalt: Hmm. Thing is, I see it making things that are mainly action-economy-limited pretty crazy. Also, I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with sharing all their non-bodily abilities - Psi Lion's Charging barbarians/knights hurt, and also just... maneuvers, rogue special abilities, damn it even monk special abilities... that starts getting crazy. You have an eighth-level spell that's basically turning five people into (nigh-identical) pentastalts, and I'm not sure that's fun.

Also, a wizard who casts that with four druids may or may not grant each person four animal companions.

Firedance
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting Time: 1 Full-round action
Range: 50 ft
Area: 50 ft radius, centred on your location when you cast the spell.
Duration: 10 minutes/level

Anyone who casts a spell with the [Fire] descriptor in the area may choose to apply the Empower Spell metamagic to their spell when they cast it. If it's already empowered, they remove the Empower Spell metamagic and replace it with the Maximise Spell metamagic. If both are already applied, the caster may remove them both to apply the intensify spell metamagic. In any case, the spell's level and casting time are not affected.

The effects of the Firedance are usable by friend and foe alike.

Next: A spell that encourages the use of more evocations and/or enchantments.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-12, 01:04 PM
Cheat: I like the idea, but unfortunately, there's a reason that those feats you're emulating are epic feats.

While I'd like to agree, I also think A: epic rules usually aren't (save for spellcasting), and B: the number of instances where this is truly overpowered are actually relatively small. The easy solution, of course, is to simply up the spell level to wherever you feel is appropriate, or limit the options available from the vague "any wield-able or wearable magic item" to something more specific. 2nd level probably is a little low.

Firedance

This is roughly the spell that came to my mind when I saw the prompt as well. I'm not sure what I think about it: on the one hand, it definitely eats into your front-loaded damage potential. On the other hand, free Maximizes for the cost of just an Empower is pretty solid. On the other other hand, it is a static area, so it's not like the effect will persist into the next fight.

I think ultimately the level seems a little high. I'd personally rather see a spell that just Empowers, is maybe 3rd-4th level, costs a Swift action to cast, and has a duration of only a few rounds. I'm not convinced this spell is worth it for the blaster Wizard, who often can't afford to waste the round merely setting up, especially for the cost of a 5th level spell slot. You'd lose some of the flexibility of the spell, but I think you'd see it cast a lot more often which, I feel, is sort of the idea.

Next: A spell that encourages the use of more evocations and/or enchantments.

Ensorcelled Cascade
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Close (25 feet + 5 feet per level)
Saving Throw: Will negates (See text)

Ensorcelled Cascade twists the bonds of magic, rendering the target more vulnerable to further magic. The target takes a penalty to the Will save against this spell (and, if it fails, future Enchantment spells for the duration of this effect) equal to the number of active Enchantments placed upon it.

Designer's Intent: A powerful spell to throw against a heavily buffed target before shredding them with other enchantments, or a good opener to an Enchanter's combat routine. Niche, but potentially very useful.

Jormengand
2015-02-12, 02:06 PM
Djinn, challenge?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-12, 02:15 PM
Djinn, challenge?

Derp.

Challenge: Design a spell that influences social interactions over an extended period of time, but does not provide mental domination or something as straight-forward as bonuses to checks.

MrNobody
2015-02-12, 02:55 PM
Ensorcelled cascade is a powewrful spell, indeed. Maybe you want to clarify if the penalty given by the spell is set when the target is first affected by this spell or continues to grow as long as the target becomes victim of further enchantments. In that case, Ensorcelled Cascade will count against the number of spells that provide the penalty?

Mark of the Loser.

Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 3
Range: Close (25 feet + 5 feet per level)
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates, see text.

You place a powerful arcane mark floating above the targets head: the mark is invisible at normal sight but any spell that gives the ability to see magic reveals it has the form of a huge "L". The target does not receive any save to resist receiving the mark, but spell resistence applies.
Every time a creature talks to the marked target it must make Will save: if it fails, its attitude towards the target of the spell immediately shifts to hostile, but only for the purpose of inviting the target at any kind of social event. A cleric that goes to talk to the target to invite him at a chuch meeting and fails its save starts considering that as a bad choice and will end up not inviting him.
The creature that rolls the saves gains a bonus or a penalty on its save depending on its general attitude towards the target: helpful +2, friendly +1, indifferent +0, unfriendly -1, hostile -2. An already hostile creature that fails its save would totally forget any idea of inviting the marked creature and would spend some effort trying to hurt its feeling pointing out that "no one wants him at the party".

This spell does not control the minds of affected creatures, and not inviting the marked is not a compulsion nor an order: if the meeting is really important (the king needs to see the party to set the town's defences during a siege) the marked creature could be invited anyway, even if reluctantly.

Challenge:A spell based on a song from the '80! [your choice but tell us which song it is based on]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-12, 03:06 PM
Ensorcelled cascade is a powewrful spell, indeed. Maybe you want to clarify if the penalty given by the spell is set when the target is first affected by this spell or continues to grow as long as the target becomes victim of further enchantments. In that case, Ensorcelled Cascade will count against the number of spells that provide the penalty?

The intent is that the penalty grows: it's still worth a cast even at a -0 penalty if you plan on layering enchantments (since Ensorcelled Cascade will make that a -1 minimum against future spells), but really shines when you strike a buffed target with, say, 4 enchantments on them already.

Rawrawrawr
2015-02-12, 05:22 PM
Hehehe, I like Mark of the Loser. I just wish there was some way a Fighter could cast on a Wizard.
"Why don't you study more, nerd?"

Anyway, song from the 80's:

Watchful Guardian

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Cleric 6, Paladin 4
Range: Touch (one creature)
Target: One creature touched
Duration: 1 day/level or until expended, see text

The caster of this spell automatically knows when the target is in danger as long as the two are on the same plane.

The caster of this spell can speak the command word as a standard action. The caster is then teleported within 30 feet of the target. You can be transported any distance within a plane but cannot travel between planes. You can transport, in addition to yourself, any objects you carry, as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you. Exceeding this limit causes the spell to fail. An unwilling creature can't be teleported.

Upon arriving, for 1 minute/caster level, you cannot move more than 30 feet from the target, and any attempts force you to do so automatically fail, and the target is immune to all damage from you. If you have the Divine Grace class feature, the target gains the benefit of that class feature, as well. You can end these effects as a free action.

So, to recap: you'll never give your target up, and you'll never let them down, but you can't really run around or hurt them, either. :smallbiggrin: (If you don't get the reference: Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up.")

Challenge:
A spell that, if cast, would get at least 3 gods/goddesses very, very cross with you.

Temotei
2015-02-12, 07:07 PM
Jormengand reminded me to critique dominate construct. My bad!

For a 9th-level spell, it seems a tad underwhelming and situational. First, the target has to have constructs/objects under their control. Second, you probably should know that before casting this spell, because it's taking up a 9th-level slot. That's not something to blow just to see if the target has things to control. For that matter, if you target someone who controls objects/constructs you don't know about, do you gain knowledge of them and the ability to control them or must you know about the constructs to gain control?

It also requires a Will save, one of the universally-highest saving throws a caster has, and it completely negates the spell. That's assuming the target isn't immune to mind-affecting spells and effects, which isn't really reliable, given that it's, again, a 9th-level spell and you're likely targeting a caster (though others may have control of constructs, it's certainly rarer since casters are the ones creating them in general). Throw Spell Resistance: Yes on top of that and you have a fairly easily-resisted spell in a 9th-level slot that only works if the target has constructs under their command that actually do things with commands (though that last part isn't too rare). I guess the constructs will vary in strength, as well, so it's not like it's entirely reliable even when it does work.

It just seems a bit weak for a 9th-level spell. Bet you didn't guess I felt that way. :smalltongue:

I think I'd be more comfortable with it if it weren't mind-affecting or if the level were lowered a bit. Also, there should probably be a clarification on whether you gain knowledge of all constructs the target controls when you succeed in affecting said target.

jqavins
2015-02-13, 11:59 AM
NEW CHALLENGE: An arcane spell linked to a specific deity (your choice).
I have a character in a running game, an AD&D magic user who tries to be a druid/MU/ranger combo to the best of his ability, who made up a spell for radically accelerated plant growth (mainly intended for trees, a year's growth per hour, up to 12 hours duration) which included in the verbal component a few words about Ehlonna. (Well, actually a homebrew forrest goddess based in part on Ehlonna.) The spell doesn't invoke any divine power, but if you can't say the Ehlonna part with sincere respect then then the spell fails.

ezkajii
2015-02-14, 03:42 PM
Watchful Guardian

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Cleric 6, Paladin 4
Range: Touch (one creature)
Target: One creature touched
Duration: 1 day/level or until expended, see text

The caster of this spell automatically knows when the target is in danger as long as the two are on the same plane.

The caster of this spell can speak the command word as a standard action. The caster is then teleported within 30 feet of the target. You can be transported any distance within a plane but cannot travel between planes. You can transport, in addition to yourself, any objects you carry, as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you. Exceeding this limit causes the spell to fail. An unwilling creature can't be teleported.

Upon arriving, for 1 minute/caster level, you cannot move more than 30 feet from the target, and any attempts force you to do so automatically fail, and the target is immune to all damage from you. If you have the Divine Grace class feature, the target gains the benefit of that class feature, as well. You can end these effects as a free action.

So, to recap: you'll never give your target up, and you'll never let them down, but you can't really run around or hurt them, either. :smallbiggrin: (If you don't get the reference: Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up.")Challenge:
A spell that, if cast, would get at least 3 gods/goddesses very, very cross with you.

Clever! Perhaps in the spirit of 'never giving up', have the duration be permanent until expended, but can only have one such charge in effect at any given time. Also I think it would make more sense for the subject of the spell to speak the command word, so that they can more or less summon you to their aid when they need you most. This does remove some of the agency from the caster, though. Also is there any way for them to get back afterward?

Excommunicate
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: One creature / 3 levels
Duration: Concentration (maximum 1 minute/level)
Saving Throw: Will partial

Invoking the most powerful of your arcane energies, and sacrificing a bit of your soul in the process, you can cut off several creatures from their gods. Each creature targeted by the spell must make a Will save; failure indicates they are unable to cast divine spells or use supernatural or spell-like class gained through levels of classes which grant divine spellcasting, while success indicates they simply lose access to the two highest divine spell levels they can cast.

Material Component: All pieces of a broken holy symbol, worth at least 100gp.
XP Cost: 500xp per target

Next challenge: Another spell based on a song! (I might have to make a thread dedicated to this concept, actually.)

MrNobody
2015-02-15, 05:42 PM
Nice spell, ezkajii: it's definitely well built. Given the challenge ("3 or more gods get cross with you") i would have done something more linked to a specific set of deities (i was thinking about a spell very similar to yours but that affected the domains of the Triad (Tyr, Torm and Ilmater)).
On the mechanical side, the XP cost looks a little too high. But i really loved the duration: it really looks like the caster has to struggle to keep the targets away from their god!
Also, the idea of a separate thread for music-based magic is great!

Enjoy the silence (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0AKJMGxwpE)
Illusion (Glammer) [sonic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Beguiler 5
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: a 40 ft. radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in the space.
Saving Throw: Will negates, or none (object); Fortitude halves.

When this spell is cast, the selected area sinks into the deepest silence, as per Silence spell. If cast on an unwilling creature or one an held object, the target can apply Spell Resistence or make a Will save to negate the spell.
The silence created by this spell is extremely comfortable: as long as the silence lasts, every creature in its area gain a +1 morale bonus on all rolls and save.
Like Silencethis spell provides protection against sonic effects and stops any kind of sound, except from words. If someone talks in the area affected by this spell, the silence effect is suppressed for that round and the sound of the words is extremely amplified: every creature in the area of the spell takes 1d4 points of sonic damage per caster level (max 10d4, Fortitude halves). If the spoken words are the verbal components of a spell the damage dice is raised to d6. If this spell is language depented, a power word or any other kind of magic linked to words (such as Truenamer's Utterances) the damage dice is raised to d8.
One round after this sound explosion the spell starts to work again.

Focus:An object dear to the caster that must be held tight while casting the spell.

Challenge: a spell that deals with a particular kind of vegetables (carrots, potatoes, broccoli... not ALL vegetable, pick one!)

Zale
2015-02-15, 07:50 PM
Patrick's Protection from Pestilence
Abjuration

Level: Cleric 1
Casting Time: Ten minutes
Range: See text
Area: See text
Duration: Special; See text

This spell protects every potato within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per level) from all forms of non-magical vermin, pestilence and weather conditions. Vermin larger than Fine are not affected by this spell, and magical affects that spoil or wither plants are not prevented by this spell. This spell lasts until the affected potatoes are harvested.

And for fun, an adaptation of a spell in a MUD I once played.

Boolywog's Forbidden Pleasures
Conjuration (Summoning)

Effect: One summoned Succubus or Incubus.
Duration: 1 minute/level or special (See text)
Saving Throw: None (Harmless)

This spell summons a succubus or incubus according to the preferences of the caster. The summoned demon refuses to take any offensive action and vanishes from this plane upon being the target of any spell or effect, or whenever they are attacked. The demon remains near the caster until the spell duration elapses or until they are given a potato. Upon being given a potato the demon will supply unimaginable pleasures in the form of baked, fried or mashed potatoes. No matter the amount of potatoes the demon is supplied with, it supplies enough of the desired potato product for one creature per level of the caster.

After providing potato based cooking, the spell ends.

Focus: At least one potato.

Spell Challenge: A spell with a magic 8-Ball as a focus.

Zaydos
2015-02-15, 08:06 PM
Always remember, you're supposed to give a critique.

P'sPfP: One of those spells that actually have some pretty world changing effects. Workable in a campaign where the DM cares to think about those things but wants magic to have fixed them.

B'sFP: It's a lower level arcane Create Food and Water that creates at least 3 times as much. It should probably be 4th level (it's an arcane spell doing a non-arcane effect) and create 1/3rd as much.

As for the new spell...

Zaydos's Unreliable Augury
Divination
Level: Cleric 0
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 minute.
Range: Personal.
Target: You.
Duration: Instantaneous.

This spell functions as Augury (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/augury.htm) except there is only a 30% + 1%/2 caster levels (maximum 55% at CL 50) chance of an accurate answer and a 40% chance of "Reply hazy, try again."

Material: A wax candle worth at least 1 GP burnt as part of the spell.

Focus: A magic eight ball.

Challenge: Make a spell which changes the caster's form.

Heliomance
2015-02-16, 10:59 AM

I feel that one ought to come from Sigil Prep...

Mutazoia
2015-02-16, 11:46 AM

Um...you mean like "Polymorph self" or "Alter self"?

Zaydos
2015-02-16, 12:05 PM
Um...you mean like "Polymorph self" or "Alter self"?

Those would both qualify, as would PHBII/Complete Mage's Polymorph subschool spells which replace your stats completely (cutting you off of spells), so would a spell to turn you into a living fire, or a hundred other things.

MrNobody
2015-02-16, 04:06 PM
While i leave the current contest to others (i have an idea but i posted a spell not long ago... if no one takes it in the next days maybe i'll give it a shot) i would like to have from Zale (that missed it) or by someone else a comment on my last entry: it would be really appreciated :smallsmile:

jqavins
2015-02-17, 08:11 AM
Zaydos's Unreliable Augury: Well, what can one say? The name is certainly accurate.

Enjoy the Silence: A few things. First, there's a typo in the first statement of damage: "1d6 sonic damaage per..." should be "1d4..." Off hand, the damage seems really high; I think I get the point that breaking the pleasent, paceful silence causes actual damage when that silence was magical, but that much?

Elemental Form
Transmutation [Elemental]

Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: Standard action
Duration: 10 min/level (See text) (D)

This is actually four spells - Earth Form, Air Form, Fire Form, and Water Form - each of which must be learned separately. When one of these spells is cast, the caster is transformed into an elemental of the corresponding type with hit dice equal to hs/her caster level. The caster takes on all characteristics of the elemental, whether helpful or troublesome, except that he/she retains his/her own personality and intelligence. A sucessful attempt to banish the elemental cancels the spell. If the elemental is reduced to zero hit points, the spell is cancelled, leaving the caster dead or dying, revivable (or not) as normal.

Thw material component is different for each version of the spell. For earth, a precious or semi-precious stone worth 100gp. For air, a vial of some exotic gas worth 100 gp. For fire, a specially prepared vial of alchemist's fire; see below. For water, a potion of sweet water*.

Suspend Fire
Transmutation [Fire]

Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Short
Target: Object
Duration: 18 hours

Although it can be learned as a separate spell, knowledge of this spell is automatically gained along with Fire Form. It has two distinct uses. When this spell is cast on an ordinary fire, that fire is suspended, neither continuing to burn nor going out. It contines to glow as if with heat, but it gives no heat to its surroundings. No fuel or oxygen is consumed. At any time during the duration of the spell the caster may release the fire, which resumes burning normally. This is a quick action with unlimited range, but requires line of sight. If the fire is not released before the spell's duration expires, the fire goes out.

If the fire's fuel can be transported then it can be later released in a new location. However, the fire can not be split to provide more than one fire upon release. If less than 75% of the suspended fuel is present when the fire is released, it will go out. If at least 75% but less than 90% is present then there is a 25% chance that the fire will go out when released.

The other use is the preparation of the material component for the Fire Form spell. (See above.) In this use, the caster activates a vial of alchemist's fire as if it had been broken even though it is still contained. The fire is then held in a suspended state until it is used as the material component for the Fire Form spell, at which time it is consumed harmlessly. If the vial is broken during the spell's duration it will act normally. If the duration is allowed to expire the vial is rendered inert.

* I couldn't find Sweet Water in 3.5 documentation; use the description from the 1E DMG with a cost of 100 gp.

While alchemist's fire has a much lower cost, the necessity of using a first level spell slot on the same day in order to prepare it makes up for this.

Next challange: another pair of spells in which one is needed to prepare the material component for the other.

MrNobody
2015-02-17, 10:33 AM
Enjoy the Silence: A few things. First, there's a typo in the first statement of damage: "1d6 sonic damaage per..." should be "1d4..." Off hand, the damage seems really high; I think I get the point that breaking the pleasent, paceful silence causes actual damage when that silence was magical, but that much?

Thanks jqavins, i fixed the typo. Talking about the damage, i think it is pretty fair, and for a number of reason.
First, the spell is 5th level but the cap damage is 10dx (a 5th level arcane area spell should have a 15dx cap): i kept it lower on purpose because the damage can happen more than once while the spell is active.
Second, the higher damage dices are highly situational: if you are not facing a caster the best you can get is 10d4 (Fort halves).
Third, the presence of a caster allows more damage but also provides more way to get around it: "silent spell" for spells and even telepathy to avoid speaking at all (remember that Lesser Telepathic Bond, [complete divine] is a 3rd level spell).
At last, everyone is having a benefit form the spell loose it for one round when the damaging effect is triggered.
That said, i start to think that the damage could even be too low :smallbiggrin:

jqavins
2015-02-17, 10:57 AM
Thanks jqavins, i fixed the typo. Talking about the damage, i think it is pretty fair, and for a number of reason.
As you wish. It's your spell, your choice.

And it's Joe. Why do I bother putting my name in my sig if nobody looks at it?

ezkajii
2015-02-23, 10:02 AM
Re: elemental form - Seems alright, because it scales the type of elemental off your HD it improves nicely as you get higher levels. I would recommend rather than the wording about retaining personality and intelligence that the caster retains the mental ability scores of his/her original form; if you're concerned about them being able to cast spells in the new form, you could just have that specifically excepted, as with Tenser's transformation.
The material component is kind of weird; finding 100gp of precious stone is likely to be significantly easier than the other material components. I think that it would do just fine with non-costly material components, personally.

Now, I don't really like the idea of requiring a spell in order to get the component for another spell (it effectively increases the casting time for the first spell, and if that's all the second spell does, as is the case with suspend fire, it makes it useless in all other circumstances). That being said, here's what I've got for your challenge:

Sickness Bomb
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Assassin 4, Cleric 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 0ft
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell conjures a diminutive glass jar, stoppered with a cork and filled with a noxious and infectious gas. The jar can be thrown as a splash weapon, breaking on impact to release the gas. All creatures within a 5ft radius of the target (including the creature the jar was broken upon, if aimed at a specific individual) must make a Fortitude save against the normal spell DC or contract any one disease of your choice, chosen at the time the spell is cast from the list of diseases given for the contagion spell. You are not immune to the disease created by this spell, and must attempt a save normally if exposed.

Material Component: A bolus of mucus.

Patient Zero
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 minute
Duration: 1 hour/level; see text

As you finish casting the spell, you crush the three sickness bombs in your hand and inhale deeply. For the duration of this spell, you act as a carrier for up to three different diseases (those contained within the sickness bombs). You suffer no ill effects from the diseases so 'contracted', but any creature who touches you or whom you touch, including attacks made by you or against you by natural weapons or unarmed strikes, must make a Fortitude save against this spell's save DC for each disease you are carrying, or contract that disease themselves. In addition, you can spend a full-round action to cough violently, spewing diseased spittle in a 30ft cone; all creatures in the cone must make the same saves to avoid contracting your disease(s).
Multiple castings of patient zero, even by different spellcasters or using differently-diseased sickness bombs, do not allow you to act as a carrier for any more than three diseases. This spell lasts for 1 hour per level, up to a maximum of 24 hours.

Challenge: A spell that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. (Either the character or the player, and either literally or figuratively.)

jqavins
2015-02-23, 11:58 AM
Re: elemental form - Seems alright, because it scales the type of elemental off your HD it improves nicely as you get higher levels. I would recommend rather than the wording about retaining personality and intelligence that the caster retains the mental ability scores of his/her original form; if you're concerned about them being able to cast spells in the new form, you could just have that specifically excepted, as with Tenser's transformation.
The material component is kind of weird; finding 100gp of precious stone is likely to be significantly easier than the other material components. I think that it would do just fine with non-costly material components, personally.
I was actually thinking of CHA and WIS based checks as well as casting, but I'll consider it.

Now, I don't really like the idea of requiring a spell in order to get the component for another spell (it effectively increases the casting time for the first spell, and if that's all the second spell does, as is the case with suspend fire, it makes it useless in all other circumstances).
The idea wasn't casting time, since Suspend Fire can be cast ahead in the same day. The idea was to require a first level slot in lieu of an expensive material component. Perhaps I'll modify Suspend Fire so that it is also good for something else, as you did with the Sickness Bomb. (But to keep it fisrt level, it won't be good for much else.)

EDIT: I modified Suspend Fire to make it marginally useful on it's own.

jqavins
2015-02-25, 12:33 PM
[snip]
Sickness Bomb
[snip]
Patient Zero
[snip]
Nicely designed combination. There should be more really evil spells, so thanks for these. The levels seem a bit high to me, but that's really a matter of judgement and mine is no better than yours.

Challenge: A spell that makes you feel warm and fuzzy. (Either the character or the player, and either literally or figuratively.)
I didn't want to do this, but someone's got to bump the thread.

Shirt of Kittens
Conjuration [Animal]

Level: Sor/Wiz: 0
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Self
Duration: 1 min/level

You are covered from waist to neck in soft, fluffy, warm, purring kittens. The kittens, contrary to normal kitten behavior, are all very happy and docile despite being clustered together is such large numbers, and do not extend their little needle-like claws despite being so happy. The kittens provide cover and warmth equivalent to a medium sweater. The material component is a booklet listing items for sale at exhorbitant prices that cover a range from medium to trivial utility.

Next challange: Another spell pair challenge. This time neither one is necessary for the other, and they must each be useful individually, but also be designed explicitly to have a synergistic effect when used together.