2007-03-30, 01:37 PM
Giant Cockroach ( Large Vermin)

Hit Die: 4D10 + 8 (33 HP)

Initiative: +0

Speed: 40 Feet

Armor Class: 15 (-1 Size, + 6 Natural Armor) Touch 9, Flat Footed 15

Base Attack/Grapple: +5 / +6

Attack: Slam +5 Melee (1D8 + 6)

Full Attack: 2 Slam Attacks +5 Meleee (1D8+6)

Special Attacks: Trample +5 Melee (1D8+9)

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., vermin traits, Ickyness

Saves: Fort +8, Will +1, Ref + 3

Abilities: Str: 15 Dex: 10 Con: 15 Wis: 10 Int: 0 Cha: 2

Skills: Climb +10, Spot +5, Move Silently +5

Feats: Endurance

Environment: Underground

Challenge Rating: 3

Treasure: None

Organization: 1 (Scout), 5-15 (Horde), or 15+ (Colony)

Advancement: 6-8HD

Level Adjustment: ---

Giant Cockroaches are usually deep brown in color, with six legs and several layers of thin, transparent pseudo-wings that cover their hard exoskeleton.

Giant Cockroaches are scavengers, generally skittish creatures who’ll flee at the first sign of other life.

Combat

Giant Cockroaches leave their lairs singly as scouts, searching for food that can be salvaged for the entire colony, once they find it they come back in en masse to tear up the food and take it back to the lair. In large groups and when carrying food, Giant Cockroaches are viciously protective, going wild and attempting to merely smash any interlopers with their Trample attacks.

If it comes to extended fighting Giant Cockroaches prefer to grapple their opponents and repeatedly use their body to slam into the pinned foe.

Ickyness:

Creatures of all races with an intelligence greater than 8 find cockroaches disgusting. When dealing damage to a Giant Cockroach, its gooey innards spill out. Any creature adjacent to the Giant Cochroach when this happens must make a DC 15 Fortitude Save or be Nauseated for 1D4 rounds and remain Sickened for another 1D4+2 rounds.

Trample:

Any creature who is hit by a Giant Cockroaches Trample attack can take an attack of opportunity on the Giant Cockroach at a -4 penalty to attack, or they can attempt a DC 13 Reflex Save for half damage

(Lemme know what you think.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 01:43 PM
I'm not so sure about allowing AoOs with the trample attack, it seems a bit odd to me.

The Ickyness ability needs to clarify what a "non-monstrous race" is. Did you mean creatures that aren't monstrous humanoids? Did you mean only humanoids?

Also, I would reduce the CR to 2. It's not a CR 4 monster by any stretch.

TempusCCK
2007-03-30, 01:49 PM
That's part of the rules for Trample attacks in the SRD, you can reflex for half or you can make an AoO.

The CR is 4 mostly because of the nauseated and sickened and it's high HP. I set it using The Vorpal Tribbles method presented in the Guide to Homebrewing thread.

There you go, a little bit more specific on the ickyness.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 01:51 PM
If it's part of the normal trample rules, then you don't need to explain it.

I still don't think it's a CR 4. CR 3 at most.

Latronis
2007-03-30, 02:06 PM
I agree its hardly appropiately powered encounter for 4 level 4 characters

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-30, 02:12 PM
Ickyness is a bit better now, but I'm still not that happy with it. I'd probably make Ickyness affect everything that isn't a vermin, ooze, abberation, or undead. I don't see why humans should be nauseated when Yuan-ti aren't.

TempusCCK
2007-03-30, 05:38 PM
CR set to 3.

Ickyness now effects all creatures with an intelligence of 8 or more, which excludes all oozes, undead and vermin.

AmberVael
2007-03-30, 05:41 PM
I can see it now:

Wizard: Uggghhh! Gross!
Orc Barbarian: CANDY!

Icewalker
2007-03-30, 06:05 PM
Actually, I was thinking that CR3 might be a bit low, what with ickyness. It's quite powerful.

However the level of the party I am DMing for is 2, and I have only made one monster, and actually am lacking any MMs, so I'd say everyone else here is more qualified to comment than me. Nevertheless, I like it. Quite disgusting.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 04:31 PM
Meh. I'm still not entirely happy about the Ickyness ability, but more than that, would it be too much to ask for you to use bold and italics? It would make it much easier to read.

DragonTounge
2007-06-06, 09:25 PM
Man, I'd hate to find one of those in my kitchen.:roach: