PDA

View Full Version : [DMG] Damage Transfer - Where is it?

Chaosvii7
2014-12-31, 12:02 AM
The DMG has a master list of special abilities from various monsters in the Monster Manual. The chart mentions an ability called Damage Transfer, and says that a sample monster with that ability is Darkmantles. But when I turn to their entry in the Monster Manual I can't find a single thing on the matter. Is this a typo or a misprint? Did they leave in info on an ability that they decided to not include in the final product? If it does exist, what monster or monsters have it, so that I can get a better understanding of how it works?

Foodle
2014-12-31, 02:24 AM
Probably.

Rug of Smothering, page 20 MM, has the ability though.

Damage Transfer. While it is grappling a creature, the rug takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature grappled by the rug takes the other half.

Chaosvii7
2014-12-31, 02:27 AM
Probably.

Rug of Smothering, page 20 MM, has the ability though.

Damage Transfer. While it is grappling a creature, the rug takes only half the damage dealt to it, and the creature grappled by the rug takes the other half.

Thank you for finding an example, upon a second read-through I found that the Cloaker has it and not the Darkmantle. Still an error on their part but at least it's understandable how they got the two mixed up, considering they're both giant fleshy jellyfish-looking monsters.

Totema
2014-12-31, 02:38 AM
Heh, I thought it went the way of Trap the Soul. Good find.