PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Different Rakshasa Race (Skai'Majer) (PEACH)

LucarinZer0
2015-01-01, 12:44 AM
Let me preface this post with a little tidbit, It's been a while since I've made any homebrew for any system, but I've been working on a campaign setting based in the Pathfinder system and I want to share the first race I've made for the setting, and I want to see what you guys think of it in both fluff and crunch wise. Please note that it is made for my campaign setting, though I tried to be vague about the setting with all but their origin story.

Rakshasa

Once outbound spirits, rakshasas are an anomaly out of all of the races of Skai'majer. The first rakshasa to be reborn, was given a deal with Vel'ataer, to be given new life as a beast, an outcast from the world, in exchange for a chance to live as a better person. Generally, rakshasa are powerful evil spirits, these are now known as Tor'Rakshasa, and are rarely sighted. Rakshasa themselves are the reborn beasts, given the ability to reproduce. While once outcasts, they roam Skai'majer, and are generally welcome by the more accepting peoples.

Physical Description: Rakshasa look very much like bipedal tigers of different varieties, and bigger generally than humans. Unlike most species, their hands are actually backwards, with palms facing outward, and fingers bending outward, as well. Different fur and skin colors are possible to encounter in rakshasa, though any straying from orange with black patterns, white with black patterns, or pure black, are very clearly bleached, and possibly dyed. Rakshasa generally stand at around 6 feet 7 inches on average, there can be smaller, with the smallest being 5 feet 10 inches. They also weigh anywhere from 180 to 260 lbs. for a healthyset rakshasa.

Society: Rakshasa generally do not gather with each other on purpose. Those who do almost exclusively do so for mating purposes, to extend the life of the species. Even rakshasa are seen as outcasts to each other, for the most part, and they mostly choose not to associate.

Relations: Due to the way they look, rakshasa are constantly rejected throughout the world, and just as well, they tend to reject the world. Due to racial stigma, very few rakshasa are seen as good people, and this actually helps in developing their isolation from the rest of the world. Most settlements have laws segregating the rakshasa from the "common folk", though recently, many have been pushing for equality.

Alignment and Religion: Rakshasa have heavy tendencies towards being neutral, mostly for being out for themselves, not for others. In terms of gods, rakshasa tend to worship Vel'ataer as they were the god said to have created their race. As well, Vel'ataer is worshipped because the rakshasa are looking for their metaphorical pot of gold at the end of their proverbial rainbow.

Adventurers: Rakshasa are practically doomed to be adventurers, they are generally born travelers, and pick up skills such as merchantry, and scavenging. Rakshasa adventurers are the most common adventures, though only by percentile, as rakshasa have the lowest population in the world.

Names: Bloodletter, Flametongue, Frostbrand, Gloomblade, Lifedrinker, Morningstar, Oathbow, Shatterspike, Sunblade.

Standard Racial Traits

Ability Score Racial Traits: Rakshasa characters gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and -2 Charisma. Rakshasa, while incredibly flexible in both mind and body, are cold and unexpressive of their emotions.
Type: Rakshasa are Humanoid with the Rakshasa Subtype
Size: Rakshasa are medium creatures and thus recieve no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Speed: (Fast Speed) Rakshasa have a base speed of 40 feet.
Languages: Rakshasa begin play speaking Common. Rakshasa with high Intelligence scores may choose from any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).
Defense Racial Traits

I've Seen A Lot: Once a day, while a rakshasa is under the effects of a fear effect, they may make another will save to resist the effect.
Offensive Racial Traits

Claws: Rakshasa bear the claws of a tiger, granting them two claw attacks (1d4 points of damage each).
Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Flexible: At the beginning of each day, a rakshasa selects two skills that they have skill ranks in, and gains a +2 bonus on both of those skills.

Keen Senses: Rakshasa gain a +2 racial bonus on perception checks.
Senses Racial Traits

Darkvision: Rakshasa see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

So, what do you guys think? Is it good as is, or would it need tweaks?

Almarck
2015-01-01, 12:57 AM
Well, I can appreciate anthromorphic tigers.

I think what you got there is a good race, decent racials that aren't way too overpowered, except for maybe claws. I think maybe 1d4 might be better since at 2 1d6's of them, you stand a very good chance of eviscerating any first level character you come across and invalidate the need for most starting weapons.

Story is simple, but it doesn't need to be overly complex, now does it? It gives your race a way as for what they are.

What you are missing:

* Type. Are you humanoid with the Rakshasa sub-type or Outsider with the Native-sub-type?

*Alternate Racials. Unimportant for a first entry, but as you try expanding, you might want some more.

Overall, this is a good entry? Was this short reveiw helpful?

LucarinZer0
2015-01-01, 02:28 AM
Well, I can appreciate anthromorphic tigers.

I think what you got there is a good race, decent racials that aren't way too overpowered, except for maybe claws. I think maybe 1d4 might be better since at 2 1d6's of them, you stand a very good chance of eviscerating any first level character you come across and invalidate the need for most starting weapons.
Yeah, you'd be right. I wanted them to be more powerful, due to tigrid lineage, but for balance's sake, they should be weaker.

Story is simple, but it doesn't need to be overly complex, now does it? It gives your race a way as for what they are.
I still want to practice my storytelling skills, but a simple story
A: Serves its function
and B: was my intention from the beginning.
I will say that I originally intended to make these guys more magically inclined, but this ended out to be a better idea in my opinion.

What you are missing:

* Type. Are you humanoid with the Rakshasa sub-type or Outsider with the Native-sub-type?
They are the former, I will edit to specify.

*Alternate Racials. Unimportant for a first entry, but as you try expanding, you might want some more.
Yeah, I'm not going to worry about ARTs until all of my core races for this setting are done.

Overall, this is a good entry? Was this short reveiw helpful?
Yes, very much, thank you!

Almarck
2015-01-01, 02:37 AM
Well, I assume that the Rakshasa could get a racial to trade their Claw attacks for a SLA to let them cast Charm Person 3/day?

Hm, interesting. You have more than just one race planned out? Tell me more.

LucarinZer0
2015-01-01, 03:24 AM
Not a bad idea, the Alt. Racial Trait.

On the hand of more Races being planned out it's moreover that I want to make about 5-6 races, because the only player race from the core Rules going to be used is Human.
The only other race Idea is based on a scrapped idea from the Fallout series, the S'Lanter.

Almarck
2015-01-01, 03:27 AM
Might need details on that. Are they those anthropomorphic excaped.... rodents I think from Fallout 2?

Also, Charm Person is good and makes thematic sense, but also an alternate +1 Caster Level to Enchantment spells (maxed out at HD) would also work too.

LucarinZer0
2015-01-01, 03:46 AM
Might need details on that. Are they those anthropomorphic excaped.... rodents I think from Fallout 2?
Raccoons from the original, actually.

Also, Charm Person is good and makes thematic sense, but also an alternate +1 Caster Level to Enchantment spells (maxed out at HD) would also work too.
I'll jot these ideas down for later, once I start doing ARTs and Favored Class Bonuses.