PDA

View Full Version : Warlord for 5e

themaque
2015-01-01, 11:31 AM
I might have missed this somewhere, but has anyone made good progress in making a Warlord for 5th edition?

I was wondering if a Bard Subclass or a whole new class would be best.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2015-01-01, 01:07 PM
I'm not too familiar with 4e, so I'm assuming that the bard isn't what you want. What part of the College Of Valor bard doesn't fit what you're looking for?

AstralFire
2015-01-01, 01:12 PM
I'm not too familiar with 4e, so I'm assuming that the bard isn't what you want. What part of the College Of Valor bard doesn't fit what you're looking for?

A Marshal that doesn't suck, or a White Raven Warblade are 3E examples of the Warlord concept. It's a martial character whose main abilities are related to directing other people effectively, giving them bonuses to attack, damage, and maneuverability.

A Fighter with features similar to the College of Valor would be a good start, but the benefits of the latter would be improved and the fighty-time abilities of the former reduced.

themaque
2015-01-01, 02:04 PM

It's certainly close, the closest I've seen in the current edition.

I wasn't huge into 4th edition, but I really enjoyed that class. The bard is still very spread out jack of all trades while the Marshal warlord was very focused.

Able to stand in the front lines and provide combat opportunities and bonuses to the rest of the party.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2015-01-01, 08:28 PM
It's certainly close, the closest I've seen in the current edition.

I wasn't huge into 4th edition, but I really enjoyed that class. The bard is still very spread out jack of all trades while the Marshal warlord was very focused.

Able to stand in the front lines and provide combat opportunities and bonuses to the rest of the party.

Maybe make the subclass remove Inspiration's effect on skills and let the bard burn a spell slot as a reaction to raise ally AC and save bonuses by the slot's spell level and grant resistance to all damage? Actually, that wouldn't be a bad 1st-level spell to add to the bard list.

Dracomortis
2015-01-01, 09:12 PM
Rawrawrawr wrote the Warlord up as a separate class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386929-The-Warlord-now-in-5e!), while mictrepanier made it a Fighter archetype (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?390087-Warlord-fighter-archetype-and-leadership-feats-%281st-draw%29). I could have sworn I've seen a few other attempts at making it a subclass, but I couldn't find any with a quick search.