PDA

View Full Version : Two handed (NOT dual weilder) ranger help

Felvion
2015-01-02, 08:10 PM
Well, i'm trying to revive a very old character once created for 3.5 ed.
His starting stats were godlike (18-16-16-14-14-12 in order) and he was a falchion weilding human ranger. His first combat choise was power attacking (obviously had cleave too:smallbiggrin:) while secondary weapon was the longbow (he had followed archery weapon style). No specific focus was given on the animal companion feature which was there mostly for flavor. Mental stats (even wis) were not that important, just had to do something with those rolls!
Is there a way to recreate a character as close possible to him in 5th ed?
This time stats have to be 27 point-buy and keeping it human and as much ranger as possible would be ideal.
We need him to be fully effective before level 10-11. This means that any integral feats should be taken up to lvl 8 in case no multiclass is involved.
What i actually ask is what attribute and feat distribution should one make to make this guy playable. He needs some strength and obviously the great weapon mastery feat.
Multiclassing should better be avoided but some dip ideas are always welcome (especially with this "capstone":smallmad:). Also the dm is lenient when it comes to minor homebrewing (in fact he said he's ok with picking other fighting styles although archery still feels the best suited one).
I know i leave very little room for creativity but i know there may be some op tricks i've overlloked. Or not:smalleek:... Anyway, there was only one way to be sure!

Demonic Spoon
2015-01-02, 08:17 PM
This looks to me just like a straight up hunter ranger. RAW, rangers don't get great weapon fighting style, but Defense style works just as well. If you want, you could ask your DM to allow great weapon fighting style - it's unlikely to break anything, or even really be any better than Defense. Can I ask why you think archery style is best for your character that will primarily be working in melee?

Great Weapon Mastery will give you the benefit of 3.5's Cleave. Otherwise, you could take Horde Breaker as your level 3 feature for a cleave-y kind of fighting style.

As far as attributes, STR > DEX > CON > WIS. You can probably safely get away without having a great wisdom, as there are many good spells that don't require a save or spell attack.

If your companion was there mostly for flavor, you can either drop it entirely or work with the DM to allow you to have a pet that is largely worthless (or even entirely ineffective) in combat.

As a side note, 5e is much more flexible in terms of viable characters than 3.x. You don't need to worry about doing dips or picking exactly the right feats to make an effective character. Even Great Weapon Mastery is pretty well-balanced against the +2 strength you could otherwise get at that level. I can't think of any multiclassing opportunities that would add a lot to the character. A couple levels of fighter could give you action surge and heavy armor proficiency, and another fighting style which would help give you some more fighter-y flavor, but even that wouldn't be superior, just different.