PDA

View Full Version : New Divination Spells

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 10:51 AM
This sadly-underappreciated school of magic doesn't have nearly enough spells. More to the point, it doesn't have nearly enough low-level, useful, and flavorful spells.

So please suggest a few. Here's one I've thought of:

Insight - Arcane Divination 1
Components: V, S
Range: Personal

The caster receives visions of the immediate future; these visions grant insight into the outcome of a potential action. To cast the spell, the mage must mentally specify the particular action as per the following: "If I do X, what will result?" Any consequences of that particular action that the caster would be able to perceive with their normal, unaugmented senses and that would occur in the round immediately after action would be taken are revealed. Any consequences based on chance, such as the outcomes of attack rolls, dodge checks, saves, or similar mechanics, are not revealed, although the caster becomes aware of the existence and approximate nature of such. No knowledge is gained about future attempts - if it would make a difference whether the action were attempted in the next round or the one after that, the spell doesn't reveal this. If the specific action examined by the spell is attempted within the next round, a +2 insight bonus applies to any one skill check involved (not attack, damage, or save rolls).

Examples:

Indiana Jones casts this spell before walking across the temple floor towards the golden idol. He becomes aware of the traps, the fact that they are pressure-sensitive, and that they shoot poisoned darts. He does not learn whether he would successfully dodge the darts, whether he would make a save against the poision, or whether he would survive the experience of being hit with one. An attempt to bypass the trap within the next round would gain the +2 bonus.

Indiana Jones casts this spell before replacing the golden idol with a bag of sand. He immediately recognizes that the change would trigger the trapped pedestal and the immediate, local results of such triggering: the trembling of the walls, the sound of hidden machinery activating, and so on. He does not learn about the giant stone ball rolling along the corridor towards the exit, even if the boulder is triggered as a direct and immediate consequence of the trap, because he couldn't normally perceive that consequence in the round after he would have made the switch from his present location. Indiana gains a +2 bonus to his attempt to bypass the trap if he does so in the next round.

Diminished effects: gain a +2 insight bonus to a single skill check completed in the next round.

Heightened effects: the Range becomes Touch and the spell's effects are granted to a single, willing creature. The caster gains no insight or knowledge from the spell.

Frankly, I don't think this is any more powerful (in either an in-character or out-of-character sense) than True Strike - magic which ought to be able to accomplish a +20 bonus to attack rolls from seeing the immediate future ought to be able to see the immediate future in general, and the game mechanical power level of the spell isn't (IMO) inappropriate.

Thoughts?

Hario
2007-03-31, 11:06 AM
It seems ok but the problem is if an item of constant arcane divination (you can come up with a better name for the spell seriously...) were to be made (between 2-4k gp) there would be no need to ever search for traps, and that really isn't balancing, my insight says you should change the spell to a temporary +10 to search for traps and can last like 1 minute per caster level, and at that point its worth it to take the spell, and isn't immidately cheesed with an item of constant arcane divination

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 11:14 AM
It seems ok but the problem is if an item of constant arcane divination (you can come up with a better name for the spell seriously...) were to be made (between 2-4k gp) there would be no need to ever search for traps, and that really isn't balancing

You can't do that. It's the same rule that makes it impossible to make an item of constant True Strike.

Hario
2007-03-31, 11:25 AM
You can't do that. It's the same rule that makes it impossible to make an item of constant True Strike.
my point is there are competent DMs who won't allow that, but there are many DMs who allow custom item creation, and an item of constant (that spell) is given in the guidelines for item creation, the problem with this spell is its an autosuccess, so it will always succeed which is twinkish especially for a 1st level spell.

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 12:46 PM
Fine.

Does anyone have any feedback not based on turning Divinations into constant-use items, or additional spells that they'd like to post?

Eldritch_Ent
2007-03-31, 01:42 PM
Good spell. I like it. Just because some incompetent DM's might allow Permanent Divination spells (Except on actual Oracles for the Gods as part of their, uhh, class features?) doesn't mean it's not a good spell. I'd use it. It has this delicate flavor that doesn't dissapoint.

Collin152
2007-03-31, 06:05 PM
What about persistant spell? Cast it once a day, no more trap searching!

Neek
2007-03-31, 06:45 PM
Fine.

Does anyone have any feedback not based on turning Divinations into constant-use items, or additional spells that they'd like to post?

Well, a quick note about turning this into a constant-use item. If you make the target "Self" then, last I checked, such abuse can't come into play.

I'm comparing this spell to the closest spell for the Cleric, Augury (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/augury.htm). Augury allows a cleric to determine whether an idea is a good one or a bad one; this spell allows you to know a lot more. The breadth of knowledge available to the caster that she can gain from this spell is a lot. Your example gives a good indication at how powerful this spell can be. I'd consider increasing its level by one or two, or perhaps also including some expensive material components.

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 07:08 PM
I'm comparing this spell to the closest spell for the Cleric, Augury (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/augury.htm). Augury allows a cleric to determine whether an idea is a good one or a bad one; this spell allows you to know a lot more.

The difference, I think, is that this spell doesn't give you any insight into anything other than the most immediate consequences. Augury doesn't tell you anything about the immediate future, but does tell you the long-term consequences.

Augury might give a warning of "Woe" where this spell wouldn't let you know that there was anything wrong.

Increasing the level to 2nd might not be a bad idea... but True Strike is only 1st, after all. An expensive focus would probably be appropriate.

Kyace
2007-03-31, 07:12 PM
The finally, a solution to the diviner's true bane: thin sheets of lead.
Ocular Shift
Divination
Level: 3
Components: V, S, F,
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range: Personal or Touch
Duration: 5 min. / level (D)
Saving Throw: None or Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

With a small effort, you scry briefly through the astral plane to bypass obstacles on the material plane.

For the duration of the spell, lead and other metals, stone, wood and earth no longer block your divination spells. Anything that blocks astral travels blocks your divination.

Focus: A tiny vial of quicksilver with a thread in it.

Also, I think that the mini-Foresight Insight would help diviners. Maybe there is room for a divination dodge/insight bonus AC raising spell that lasts throughout the encounter.

sigurd
2007-03-31, 08:17 PM
I like it.

And yes divination is in need of a little love.

Have you considered some sort of addictive quality. After all who doesn't want to know everything before it happens :).

Sigurd