PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Stat System

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 02:22 PM
I'm working on a slightly-modified d20 system for a game with slightly-modified kobolds. And slightly-modified NPC classes instead of the standard D&Ds.

But first, I need to alter the statistic system. My intention is to ultimately give low-level characters more options and power. (I subscribe to Sean K. Reynolds' view of experience levels, so levels will be much higher all around - which means that the levels themselves should count for less, which is one of the reasons I want a base system that's interesting.)

Please tell me what you think.

Stats are produced by rolling 3d6 and adding the values. Instead of keeping the result, it's used to produce the modifier from the traditional system, which is the actual statistic.

Negative values count as double for skill checks. Positive values grant that number of rerolls for skill checks (two rerolls can be used to reroll a save) per day. The idea is that negatives really have an influence without being devastating, while higher stats make a bigger difference. (An 18 Int, for example, should grant genius-level intelligence, but in the RAW it barely has an effect.)

So, we have the following:

+4 (4 skill rechecks)
+3 (3 skill rechecks)
+2 (2 skill rechecks)
+1 (1 skill recheck)
-1 (-2 to skills)
-2 (-4 to skills)
-3 (-6 to skills)
-4 (-8 to skills)

All first-level characters get (4 + Int)x4 +4 skillpoints to begin with, then however many they get per level for their particular class.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-31, 02:31 PM
Meh, not a big fan of this system. too many rerolls just means characters are going to be going for that natural 20 every time. If you want a different method, try JAGS (Just Another Gaming System). The skill system works by controlling the maximum and minimum rolls the character can make, so that the characters spend points to widen their range of high possibilities or ensuring that their rolls can never go too low rather than flat modifiers. I'm not a big fan of that system either, but apparently it works for a few people I know.

Caledonian
2007-03-31, 02:37 PM
Meh, not a big fan of this system. too many rerolls just means characters are going to be going for that natural 20 every time.

Natural 20s don't grant automatic success for skills. Part of the intention is to make having a high stat genuinely superior - more like 2nd. Edition in that particular sense.