PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Madness Domain & The Harlequin Roguish Archetype [PEACH]

Amechra
2015-01-05, 09:10 PM
Alright, I'm throwing my hat into the 5e homebrew ring.

Madness Domain

Gods whose portfolios include the Madness domain - such as The Fury, Thoon, and Ralishaz - govern over the vagaries of insanity in its myriad aspects. They send forth their Clerics to proselytize the freedom from linear thought and the insight of madness. As such, most Clerics that carry this domain are Evil, though there are exceptions.

Madness Domain Spells
1st - Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
3rd - Crown of Madness, Detect Thoughts
5th - Clairvoyance, Hypnotic Pattern
7th - Confusion, Hallucinatory Terrain
9th - Contact Other Plain, Modify Memory

Insanity's Prophet
At 1st level, you learn one bard cantrip of your choice. You also gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Deception, Insight, or Perception.

Controlled Descent
Also at 1st level, you develop a form of control over any madness you might develop - you may take Reactions while under the effects of Confusion, and you may add your Wisdom modifier to the 1d10 roll determining your behaviour each turn. In addition, whenever you fail a save against an effect that would leave you charmed, you may choose to be affected by a Confusion effect instead, which lasts for the duration of the other effect.

Channel Divinity: Splinter Tiny Minds
Starting at 2nd level, you can replace the fires and ices of this world with gibbering and screaming.
Whenever you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to have it deal psychic damage instead.

Madness Paramount
Starting at 6th level, psychic damage dealt by your spells ignores any resistances a creature might have.

Potent Spellcasting
At 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

End of All Reason
At 17th level, you can fill your spells with the full force of your deity's madness.
Any creature that fails a save against one of your spells that deals psychic damage or which inflicts the charmed or frightened conditions has Disadvantage on all Wisdom rolls and Wisdom saving throws for the next minute.

Harlequin

Circus performers or dancers before kings, Harlequins epitomize grace and physical flow. They dance through both life and combat, with a disregard that borders on careless. But somehow... it seems to work.

Mocking Performer
When you select this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with Performance if you don't have it already, and learn the Vicious Mockery cantrip; your spellcasting ability is Charisma.

Harlequin's Dance
Also at 3rd level, you may use your bonus action from Cunning Action to rise from prone without spending movement, to ignore difficult terrain for that turn, or to take the Dodge action; if you take the Dodge action with your bonus action, you take a level of Exhaustion from the strain.

Laughing Rebuke
At 9th level, you may use your reaction to make an opportunity attack or use Vicious Mockery against creatures that miss you with a melee attack.

Knife-Flower Willow
At 13th level, if a creature who has disadvantage on their attack roll misses you, the next attack you make against them before the end of your next turn may be a Sneak Attack even if you don't have advantage on your attack roll.

Seven-Shadows Evasion
At 17th level, whenever you are forced to make a saving throw, you may use your reaction to make a Dexterity saving throw instead of using the normal ability score. Once you have used Seven-Shadows Evasion, you must make a short or long rest until you may use it again.

Thoughts? Yes, I am quite aware that Seven-Shadows Evasion lets you dodge poison and mind control.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

DiBastet
2015-01-06, 10:35 AM
I'll use the madness domain. +rep to you

(I would just change the name of the channel divinity; the name seems bland next to the other names)

Amechra
2015-01-06, 11:57 AM
I renamed it Splintering Tiny Minds. Any opinion on the Harlequin?

mictrepanier
2015-01-06, 12:56 PM
Madness Paramount overpass 3 resistances (fire, cold, psychic) at 6th level. Too much. tier 3 feature, not 2.

Knife-Flower Willow- preq should be related to vicious mockery. A mere miss is OP.

Amechra
2015-01-06, 01:19 PM
Death Domain clerics can bypass resistance to Necrotic damage; resistance to psychic damage is also quite rare, so it isn't really as powerful as it looks.

Knife-Flower Willow is might be too strong; I think I'll change it so that they also have to have Disadvantage on their attack rolls against you when they miss (it's really there to encourage you to Dodge all the time.)

mictrepanier
2015-01-06, 03:05 PM
Knife-Flower Willow is might be too strong; ....

A rogue needs advantage. Give it when opponent failed to cantrip save. Immunities for some creatures, unlike missing an attack for which there is no immunity.

Amechra
2015-01-06, 03:12 PM
A Rogue does not, in fact, always need advantage. Seriously, read Sneak Attack again and then get back to me.

You can pull of Sneak Attacks every turn by riding a horse or letting the Wizard's familiar ride on your shoulder. From level one. At that point, you just need to not have disadvantage on your attack.

Knife-Flower Willow is not overpowered.

mictrepanier
2015-01-06, 05:25 PM
You can pull of Sneak Attacks every turn by riding a horse or letting the Wizard's familiar ride on your shoulder. From level one. At that point, you just need to not have disadvantage on your attack.

This was discussed a lot on forums. The ally trigerring the sneak attack should be a real treat to the foe. Smart creatures will disregard puny opponents even if it gives an advantage to the minor foe.

Amechra
2015-01-06, 05:35 PM
Rules say nothing about them having to be a big threat. They could just be distracting (a bird familiar flutters in their face) or let you come at them from an odd angle (the horse).

After all, Sneak Attack is a sneak attack, not a backstab.

Edit: Before this discussion is continued, it is a tad off-topic. Agree to disagree on this point, given that it is irrelevant to the topic of the thread at hand?

mictrepanier
2015-01-06, 06:37 PM
As you wish

I have any idea for 17th level feature related to vicious mockery- in order to get more a loudmouth than a nibble subclass.

Taunting
At 17th level, Any creature failing its saving throw is compelled to perform a dash action to get within 5’ of you (without disengaging) and attack you with disadvantage for the next minute. The psychic damage is continuous. At the start of every subsequent round, a new saving throw can be made to end the spell effects.

I can`t figure out how a PC may evade all hazards with evasion only...

What is the definition of Knife-Flower Willow ?

urkthegurk
2015-01-07, 11:47 PM
well this saves me a lot of time!

Making a few domains (Mind, Matter, Madness... they dont ALL start with M), but I prefer to use and modify existing homebrew when possible. It saves me work, and it feels more fair :P

Thanks so much!

Amechra
2015-01-08, 12:36 AM
As you wish

I have any idea for 17th level feature related to vicious mockery- in order to get more a loudmouth than a nibble subclass.

Taunting
At 17th level, Any creature failing its saving throw is compelled to perform a dash action to get within 5’ of you (without disengaging) and attack you with disadvantage for the next minute. The psychic damage is continuous. At the start of every subsequent round, a new saving throw can be made to end the spell effects.

I can`t figure out how a PC may evade all hazards with evasion only...

What is the definition of Knife-Flower Willow ?

It's supposed to be more of a dodge-y subclass than a mocking subclass - Vicious Mockery was just to fill some stuff up so they weren't so "empty".

They dodge poison, mind control, and other stuff by being that good.

And a Knife-Flower Willow? It's called "I thought it sounded kinda good" - it doesn't mean anything in particular.

well this saves me a lot of time!

Making a few domains (Mind, Matter, Madness... they dont ALL start with M), but I prefer to use and modify existing homebrew when possible. It saves me work, and it feels more fair :P

Thanks so much!

I hope it's useful (though I do give you permission to use mine, if you want to save yourself some work.)