PDA

View Full Version : Criticize my Roguish Archetype: The Fencing Master!

Erian
2015-01-11, 09:59 AM
Fencing Master
Parry
Starting at 3rd level, whenever you are hit with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency to your AC, possibly turning the hit into a miss.

Feint
Also starting at 3rd level, whenever you attack with a Rapier or Shortsword, you can attempt to Feint. To make a feint, make a Deception (Cha) roll opposed to your opponent's Insight. If you're successful, your attack is made with Advantage.
Each time you use this ability again in the same combat, any opponent that is currently 5' away from you gets a +3 on their Insight roll.

Fencing
At 9th level, you can add a +1 on attack rolls made with a Shortsword or a Rapier. This bonus can be applied to Parry and Feint rolls.
This bonus becomes +2 at level 13th.

Riposte
At 13th level, whenever your Parry causes a hit to become a miss and as part of the reaction, you can attack the enemy who just attacked you.

Counter Attack?
At 17th level, you get advantage on any attack made with Riposte.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-11, 11:00 AM
Fencing Master
Parry
Starting at 3rd level, whenever you are hit with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency to your AC, possibly turning the hit into a miss.

Feint
Also starting at 3rd level, whenever you attack with a Rapier or Shortsword, you can attempt to Feint. To make a feint, make a Deception (Cha) roll opposed to your opponent's Insight. If you're successful, your attack is made with Advantage.
Each time you use this ability again in the same combat, any opponent that is currently 5' away from you gets a +3 on their Insight roll.

Fencing
At 9th level, you can add a +1 on attack rolls made with a Shortsword or a Rapier. This bonus can be applied to Parry and Feint rolls.

Riposte
At 13th level, whenever your Parry causes a hit to become a miss and as part of the reaction, you can attack the enemy who just attacked you.

Counter Attack?
At 17th level, you get advantage on any attack made with Riposte.

Parry is a feat already, might be a bit much...

Feint is troublesome and fiddly. How about this. You may use it against a specific target once as normal (Deception Versus Insight) if you use it more than once you take disadvantage on the skill check. As you level up you may use it twice and then a third time per enemy per short rest or long rest.

Fencing is too powerful. + attack doesn't really exist in this game anymore.

Riposite should be fine. Strong but at that level it should be strong.

Counter attack should be fine. Probably needs a boost in all honesty... But it isn't over powered.

mephnick
2015-01-11, 11:13 AM
Seems more suited to be a fighter archetype, really.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-11, 11:22 AM
Seems more suited to be a fighter archetype, really.

Rogue and Fighter could have been one class and archetypes distiguishe if you are a rogue or fighter.

Any archetype that works with one works with the other quite well. From Pirate/Swashbuckler to assassin, to soldiers.

Rilak
2015-01-11, 11:24 AM
Counter attack should be fine. Probably needs a boost in all honesty... But it isn't over powered.

May cause a sneak attack even if one was already used this round?

Odd to get two 3rd level abilities.

I do agree the 9th level ability does not fit into 5e.

Feint requires too many rolls and will slow down the game.

mephnick
2015-01-11, 12:15 PM
Rogue and Fighter could have been one class and archetypes distiguishe if you are a rogue or fighter.

Any archetype that works with one works with the other quite well. From Pirate/Swashbuckler to assassin, to soldiers.

Yeah, fair enough.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-11, 12:16 PM
May cause a sneak attack even if one was already used this round?

Odd to get two 3rd level abilities.

I do agree the 9th level ability does not fit into 5e.

Feint requires too many rolls and will slow down the game.

Sneak attack is once per turn to begin with. If someone provokes an OA from a rogue and they qualify for sneak attack the rogue can sneak attack.

Reactions are 1/round though.

Person_Man
2015-01-11, 07:35 PM
My feeling is that all of the abilities are too powerful.

Parry overlaps with and is more stronger then Uncanny Dodge (since in most cases, it will change a hit to a miss), which is a higher level ability.

Feint is basically 80% success on getting Advantage every round, since every Fencing Master is going to have Expertise in Deception and high Int while most enemies will not have Proficiency in Insight and mediocre Wis.

The fact that you get both Parry and Feint at 3rd level is bonkers.

Fencing shouldn't exist at all. To-hit bonuses are insanely rare in 5E, and the only way to get them from a class is with Archery Fighting Style or Bless (which is limited several ways).

Riposte basically gives you a free attack every round, AND that attack will qualify for Sneak Attack.

Counter Attack overlaps with Feint, but I think some kind of triggered Advantage would be fine for a 17th level ability.

Malifice
2015-01-11, 10:00 PM
Fencing Master
Parry

Already a feat. Scrub it.

Consider granting +1 to AC when wielding a finesse weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other and wearing no armor (so doesn't stack with defense fighting style).

Feint
Also starting at 3rd level, whenever you attack with a Rapier or Shortsword, you can attempt to Feint. To make a feint, make a Deception (Cha) roll opposed to your opponent's Insight. If you're successful, your next attack is made with Advantage.

Make it use a bonus action, and only once per creature per encounter.

Fencing

Ruins bounded accuracy.

Instead consider granting advantage on deception rolls to feint instead.

Also at 13th level consider some kind of skill boost instead of combat one.

Riposte
At 17th level, whenever your Parry causes a hit to become a miss and as part of the reaction, you can attack the enemy who just attacked you.

At 17th level, whenever an adjacent creature rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll, you can make a single melee attack with a finesse weapon you are wielding against that creature at advantage.

Finally, why not just play a Fighter (battlemaster) 5/ Rogue x. Defensive duelist, Dueling fighting style, and the parry, riposte manouver?

Feldarove
2015-01-11, 10:37 PM
Fencing Master seems like an option that can already be created by the abilities and feats in existing classes. I don't think what you have presented really creates something entirely unique.

Erian
2015-01-12, 12:55 AM
Well, first of all, I haven't read much about 5th edition yet, I just know a lot about fencing (being a fencer myself) and I've only read the Rogue so far tbh. Haven't even checked all the feats, but I thought the concept was good and that it wasn't really overpowered (most of it's mechanics can be replaced by an ally standing next to your enemy, since the point is to SA and not fail; the only thing being the Parry defense [I'm guessing you're talking about Defensive Duelist], the point of this ability was to later grant Riposte [anyone familiar with fencing would probably think it's odd to have Ripose or Parry without the other]). We can call the ability Parry and make it grant Defensive Duelist for that matter.

About Feint, on average, a Fencer makes around 3 or 4 Feints per attack (if the attack even occurs at all), I added the bonus to Insight in order to make it more balanced and to reflect that the enemy will afterwards be expecting them.

About Fencing, sorry, haven't read anything about bounded accuracy yet.

Finally, I haven't even checked the regular figher so I've no idea what it does (yet).

Person_Man
2015-01-12, 11:08 AM
Well, first of all, I haven't read much about 5th edition yet, I just know a lot about fencing (being a fencer myself) and I've only read the Rogue so far tbh. Haven't even checked all the feats, but I thought the concept was good and that it wasn't really overpowered (most of it's mechanics can be replaced by an ally standing next to your enemy, since the point is to SA and not fail; the only thing being the Parry defense [I'm guessing you're talking about Defensive Duelist], the point of this ability was to later grant Riposte [anyone familiar with fencing would probably think it's odd to have Ripose or Parry without the other]). We can call the ability Parry and make it grant Defensive Duelist for that matter.

About Feint, on average, a Fencer makes around 3 or 4 Feints per attack (if the attack even occurs at all), I added the bonus to Insight in order to make it more balanced and to reflect that the enemy will afterwards be expecting them.

About Fencing, sorry, haven't read anything about bounded accuracy yet.

Finally, I haven't even checked the regular figher so I've no idea what it does (yet).

It sounds like you know a great deal about actual fencing, which is totally awesome. I completely get what you're saying.

But you should know that 5E generally does a terrible, terrible job of simulating actual combat and/or realism. Absolutely horrible. The math and game mechanics are all designed to re-create the feel/traditions of 1E/2E/3E D&D and gamist simplicity and fun. Adding the types of mechanics that you suggest to 5E would basically require rewriting all of the other classes as well. Which is do-able. It'd just be time consuming.