100 gp|
1d6/ad6|
1d8/1d8|
19-20/x2|
-|
8lbs|
Slashing
[/table]

Sword-chucks are double weapons. With a sword-chuck, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).
A minimum of Dex 13 is required to be proficient with this weapon.
If you have the appropriate feat to use this weapon, everytime you roll a natural 1, roll again against your own AC, including all normal modifiers to your attack roll. If you succeed, you hit yourself, dealing the normal attack from that blade.
If you don't have the appropriate feat to use this weapon, everytime you attack, even if you hit your opponent, you roll against your own AC, including all normal modifiers to your attack roll. If you succeed, you hit yourself, dealing the normal attack from that blade. In this case, if you roll a natural 19 or 20, you roll again to confirm a critical hit. For this purpose only, Improved Critical doesn't need to be counted (but Keen enchantments do).

Spiryt
2007-04-01, 04:35 PM
I think it should be everytime you roll roll again against your own AC

Nothing between words "roll" :smallbiggrin:

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-01, 04:44 PM
Looks good. Recommendations:

Thinking of Bastard Swords, require Strength and Dexterity of 13 for Weapon Proficiency.
"If you attack with this weapon and you are not proficient, apply your attack rolls to your own armour class as well as your opponents. If it hits your armour, you are dealt damage as well."

martyboy74
2007-04-01, 06:54 PM
Does it have a intelligence draining affect, or does it turn you into an idiom?

Roderick_BR
2007-04-02, 06:21 AM
Hehe. Good questions. I'll add some changes.
Requeriment of Dex 13. Without the feat, you always hit yourself.

Marty, it doesn't drain inteligence, but if you use it, people'll have a good idea on your current Int score :p

Lord Herman
2007-04-02, 06:43 AM
Maybe the feat should have a maximum wisdom prerequisite.

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-02, 06:51 AM
Wow. This sure hasn't been done before a million times.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-02, 07:08 AM
I'm pretty aware. Since I didn't find it, I wanted to try my hand at it. Plus, check the date.

Goblin Music
2007-04-02, 08:09 AM
personally i would have 1d8/1d8 or 1d8/1d6

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-02, 08:51 AM
Um, he does have it as 1d8/1d8. You must be reading the damage colum for swordchucks built for small sized creatures.

alchemy.freak
2007-04-02, 11:09 AM
Good god, DON'T MAKE IT VORPAL. that would be the last thing you ever do

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 12:26 PM
ZOMG I want these!!

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 12:28 PM

Nobody ever had such a cool picture though.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-02, 12:32 PM
Nobody ever had such a cool picture though.
Thanks :) It's the longsword image from the Player's Handbook, with the chain from one of the flails.

Good god, DON'T MAKE IT VORPAL. that would be the last thing you ever do
Don't worry, if you have the proficiency, you can't crit yourself. I'm not *that* evil... hehehe...

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-02, 12:44 PM
Thanks :) It's the longsword image from the Player's Handbook, with the chain from one of the flails.

Don't worry, if you have the proficiency, you can't crit yourself. I'm not *that* evil... hehehe...

Vorpal has absolutely nothing to do with critical hits. You just need to roll a 20.

armatil
2007-04-02, 12:47 PM
problem with this is that as you gain levels, the chance of chopping yourself up actually increases as per your BAB.

maybe you could use reflex saves or something.

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 12:48 PM

I noticed - good work, sir.

blackout
2007-04-02, 12:53 PM
Oh, man...my team must never see this, or everyone will die.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-02, 01:37 PM
Of course if you use dancing swordchucks...

And swordchucks aren't the most impractical weapon ever. That distinction must belong to double dire swordchucks. A Marilith could use them, But Why?

Fizban
2007-04-02, 01:51 PM
So, the question becomes, how to wield to sets at once? Cause that's how fighter did it, so you know it's the only way to go.

Has anyone seen the animation made of that? Some guy made a 3d animation of that part of the comic, complete with dual sword-chuck wielding fighter vs a six armed demon. It was awesome.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-02, 02:07 PM
why? it looks great..but why?

Goblin Music
2007-04-02, 02:17 PM
fizban you mean Kary?

Ranis
2007-04-02, 02:51 PM
Very nice :D

Cybren
2007-04-02, 04:20 PM
Really the handles should be on the outside as you hold nunchucks more towards the "bottom" but let's not violate Brians already established canon.

Deepblue706
2007-04-02, 04:30 PM
Cybren, that was a long sentence. I'm winded thinking about it.

Cybren
2007-04-02, 04:37 PM
Naw you're just bad at breathing things. Like air.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-02, 04:41 PM
As ridiculous as swordchucks are, are they really that much worse than a dire flail? I still don't understand how a dire flail is wielded.

levi
2007-04-02, 05:13 PM
As ridiculous as swordchucks are, are they really that much worse than a dire flail? I still don't understand how a dire flail is wielded.

In a word no. They may be slightly sillier, but not by much. Almost all of the double weapons in the PHB are woefully silly. The only ones that are reasonable weapons are the Dwarven Urgosh and the Quarterstaff.

In regards to the dire flail itself, one explanation I heard was that you wield it like a quarterstaff, only you don't stop moving or change directions suddenly. Still seems kinda fishy to me.

In regards to the topic at hand, aren't swordchucks one handed? I havn't read 8-bit Theater in a long time, but I seem to recall them being one handed. Besides, swordchucks as a double weapon is even sillier (if that's possible). You're basically dual weilding long swords, but somehow, chaining them together makes the off-hand one light? Yeah, sure. As large as they are, you proably need monkey grip or something similar to actually weild them in one hand.

Furthermore, I think that even when proficent with them a natural one should require a roll against yourself, or simply deal damage to yourself.

Kultrum
2007-04-02, 05:17 PM

I guess you would kind of hold it near the chain on both sides, then make a kind of punching motion alternating sides and swing your body back and forth. or something like that. But either way to be proficient w/ the dire flail it takes a feat. Or you could take oversized TWF and use 2 normal flails which leads to more versatility.

Fizban
2007-04-02, 06:29 PM
fizban you mean Kary?
Yes, that was it.

Here's a link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-939266040636190478&q=battle+with+kary).

I can't really tell how he's wielding them, other than just kind of making them do things. But the sword-chucks are a one-handed weapon.

Now, following the nunchaku presented in the PHB, sword-chucks should deal 1d8 slashing, +2 disarm, and usable in a monk's flurry. Clearly Fighter's Zodiac Kendo allows him to use the sword-chucks differently than one might expect, as it seems he is able to get two attacks per hand with them.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 09:16 PM
You should definitely make it possibl to use these as One Handed Weapons. Maybe an additional Feat / Exotic Weapon Proficiency? It should also require Multi Weapon Fighting...

Icewalker
2007-04-04, 09:38 PM
Damn. Nice video.

I suggest, for one-handed sword-chucks that you have a MUCH increased chance of hitting yourself.

maybe you can make an attack with ALL four ends, but you hit yourself on misses instead of 1s.

Fizban
2007-04-04, 11:18 PM
Really, why try and bring realizm into this? Fighter had no problem, a competent fighter (read as: one with the proficiency feat) should have none either.

I'd do something like:
Sword-chucks
1d8 slashing, x2, one handed exotic*. If you miss on an attack with a sword-chuck, you may re-roll the attack with a -5 penalty. Attacks missed due to a natural 1 cannot be re-rolled in this manner.
*sword-chuck proficiency requires dex13 and str13

Easily breakable, but think of it this way: if you need a 10 to hit, you have a 50% chance to hit. If you miss, you get a second attack requiring a 15 to hit, a 25% chance to hit. Not so great odds I think, though I skipped FST, so I can't do the math on it.

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 01:56 AM
I dunno, the realism adds a bit of fun to it. The funniest thing about the swordchucks is that they should kill you, but fighter somehow used them. His stupidity warped the universe in such a way that protected him from killing himself on the ends of his own swordchucks?

levi
2007-04-05, 02:08 AM
Now, following the nunchaku presented in the PHB, sword-chucks should deal 1d8 slashing, +2 disarm, and usable in a monk's flurry.

Sounds about right to me.

Clearly Fighter's Zodiac Kendo allows him to use the sword-chucks differently than one might expect, as it seems he is able to get two attacks per hand with them.

Well, at this point, you run into the differences between FF and DnD combat. It's been some time since I've played the original Final Fantasy, but if I recall correctly, nunchucks normally do two attacks. Of course, only monks can weild them, so it could just be considered a flurry of blows type of effect.

However, when you get up to higher levels, you get multiple attacks per hand anyway, kinda like in DnD. How closely 8-Bit Theater follows FF's combat, I don't really know, but that could be the explanation.

Machete
2007-04-07, 05:45 PM
I think I figured out how Fighter was wielding them. He only actually attacked with the end that he was holding as per normal longswords but swung the chained longswords around sort of like an unheld parrying system. How he does it without cutting his feet and or head off is hard to say, but if someone were wearing full plate and didn't care if their armor got all scuffed up then these might {gulp} actually be viable weapons. Its like they would give an AC bonus of 1 for each one wielded but would roll against the user on a roll of one.

Cybren
2007-04-07, 06:24 PM
I dunno, the realism adds a bit of fun to it. The funniest thing about the swordchucks is that they should kill you, but fighter somehow used them. His stupidity warped the universe in such a way that protected him from killing himself on the ends of his own swordchucks?
fighter isn't stupid, on the contrary he is the smartest lightwarrior.

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 08:06 PM
Just hilarious.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-07, 08:19 PM
heh. I made it just as an April Fools joke for a friend, hence the whole "hit yourself" bit (I remember White Mage saying something about hacking your own hands off), but if you guys want to know why I made it a double weapon, is because a regular nunchaku is a "monk weapon", meaning that he can flurry with it, a very similar move to two-weapon fighting.

And great video :D