PDA

View Full Version : A little magic goes a long way.

mabriss lethe
2007-04-01, 07:50 PM
Yes, it's yet another post about using feats to obtain a couple of spells.

Sure, it would be simple enough to just make the generic feat in the vein of the SLA feats from Complete Arcane.

Generic Spell Like Ability Feat [general]

The character, through long exposure to magic gains access to a small number of spells. The character gains as spell-like abilities, two 0 level spells and one 1st level spell, each cast as a 1st level sorcerer once per day.

I don't like to do things that way. The one thing I like most about those feats isn't the capablities. Let's face it, they're... modest at best. What I like is the flavor. Each of the feats has a theme. I've been playing around with a few of my own that fit into other themes. I wanted to avoid overlapping spells at first, but quickly realized it wouldn't work that way. So, yes, there is some overlap here and there when the theme warranted it. I got over it.

Child of the Serpent [General]

Benefit: The character has a magical afinity for venomous things, gaining the following abilities: Acid Splash, Detect Poison, and Summon Monster I as spell-like abilities, usable once per day as a 1st level sorcerer. This variant of Summon Monster I may only be used to summon the Fiendish Viper from the first level list.

Glamoury [General]

Benefit: The character shares a connection with the magic of the Fey as well as a love of their trickster ways, gaining Dancing Lights, Ghost sound, and Magic Aura as spell like abilities once per day as a 1st level sorcerer.

Stone's Gift [General]

Benefit: The character has an affinity for the simple magics of earth and stone, gaining Mending, Know Direction, and Magic Stone as Spell-like abilities cast one per day as a 1st level sorceror.

Malediction [General]

Benefit: The character knows the secrets of suffering and spreads them wherever he goes, casting Touch of Fatigue, Daze and Ray of Enfeeblement as spell-like abilities once per day as a 1st level sorcerer.

Anyone else have some good themes kicking around in the back of the brain-bucket?

Kyace
2007-04-01, 09:46 PM
Audio talent [general]

Benefit: The character gains a few talents due to unusually sharp hearing and amazing, almost magical, vocal abilities. The character gains as spell-like abilities, Ghost Sound, Message and Ventriloquism, each cast as a 1st level sorcerer once per day.

Phantom thief [general]

Benefit:The character knows simple tricks to making objects just seem to disappear. The character gains as spell-like abilities, Mage Hand, Open/Close and Obscuring Mist, each cast as a 1st level sorcerer once per day.

Edit: Didn't want to double post, but came up with another one.

Water's Gift [general]

Benefit: The character is enjoys water and has learned several tricks dealing with it. The character gains as spell-like abilities, Create Water, Purify Water and Minor Water Breathing, each cast as a 1st level cleric once per day. Purify Water is as Purify Food and Drink but only targeting water. Minor Water Breathing is as Water Breathing, but with an 1 hour duration and a target of personal.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-01, 10:09 PM
Have you seen Spelltouched Feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm)?

mabriss lethe
2007-04-01, 10:16 PM
yep, they're pretty darned fun but most of the stuff my groups use/used doesn't involve...Unearthed arcana is it? I think that's where i saw that originally. I've thought long and hard about using them, or some other equivalent in the next game I run

Kyace
2007-04-01, 10:21 PM
Cool feats.

Controlled Immolation (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=15&issue=4).