PDA

View Full Version : WotC Website: Avenger

Fax Celestis
2007-04-02, 09:53 AM
The Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND), introduced today, appears to be a Lawful-only version of the Assassin.

Thoughts?

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-02, 09:55 AM
Yes. I think it was created as an April Fool's joke (as it says in the text). Which upset some people because there is a call for a real non-evil assassin.

storybookknight
2007-04-02, 09:58 AM
Heh - stop the people on the boards from using it. They gave it as an april fools' supplement, but hey. It's always up to DM discretion.

I think the main reason to possibly disallow it would be because it opens up the possibility of an avenger/assassin multiclass. 15 levels of death attack! DC 25+level!

I guess?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-02, 10:02 AM
Heh - stop the people on the boards from using it. They gave it as an april fools' supplement, but hey. It's always up to DM discretion.

I think the main reason to possibly disallow it would be because it opens up the possibility of an avenger/assassin multiclass. 15 levels of death attack! DC 25+level!

I guess?

There are already other classes that stack with Death Attack.

martyboy74
2007-04-02, 10:10 AM
Wow, talk about creativity...

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-02, 10:41 AM
Well, gee, how to react...hm....Y-y-y-yoink!

Larrin
2007-04-03, 04:41 AM
Is it just me or is there absolutely NO defference between the two classes. I'm assuming thats the main point of the joke, but maybe i missed a subtle change. To me it looks like they just did a word search for assassin and replaced it with avenger...That being said i like the joke, its rather subtle way of saying "If you don't think an assassin needs to be evil, it VERY simple to fix it."

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 05:09 AM
I would assume that's the joke. I like ignoring the Assassin's Evil prereq. Just like ignore those damned Poison/Ravage rules in the BoED. I should make that an official house rule for my campaigns. Of course, none of them have stealth-focused characters. Not even the air pirate campaign...

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-03, 08:40 AM
It is, in fact, exactly the same; right down to the ironic fact that "Magic Circle against Good" is still on its spell list, specifically.

But yeah, pretty simple stuff.

Person_Man
2007-04-03, 09:04 AM

I guess?

Yeah, as Fax mentioned, Black Flame Zealot, Darkwood Stalker, and Replacement Killer also get death attack, though I'm not sure exactly if they stack or not.

You can also start your career as a Hexblade or Paladin of Tyranny or Blackguard or Fear effects. All of them give penalties to your enemy's Save.

But its been my personal gaming experience that Death Attack is pretty useless. Enemies that you really want to use Death Attack against (one with high HD and high hit points) tend to have good Fort Saves and high Con. So it usually doesn't work, or its pointless because the enemy was weak anyway.

Draz74
2007-04-03, 03:36 PM
I think it's pretty stupid how CG and CN are now the only alignments without access to a PrC like this. Because I can totally imagine a Chaotic Neutral character with this style.

stainboy
2007-04-03, 03:51 PM
If only there were some way to make a prestige class like the Avenger, but open to CG and CN characters...

Bouldering Jove
2007-04-03, 08:00 PM
If only there were some way to make a prestige class like the Avenger, but open to CG and CN characters...
"The Vigilante," any non-lawful.

Druid
2007-04-03, 08:21 PM
"The Vigilante," any non-lawful.

I think you may be on to something here.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-04, 02:46 AM
What about the 'Riteous Benefactor'? For non-evil assassins! And replace the whole killing prerequisite with 'must have willingly killed an evil creature with no more purpous than to become a Riteous Benefactor'.