PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice Online work?

Jak
2015-01-17, 11:34 PM
So, I have a lot of free time at my current job, (like, we're talking hours at a time with virtually no interaction with people) and I basically just sit here and do nothing. The only internet I have available is on my phone, but I figure it has to be good for something.

So my question is: is there some sort of online job or work I could do to earn a little bit of extra cash?

I have heard of business card transcription and question answering services, but I don't really know where to start. It doesn't have to be super profitable or fast. Preferably something vaguely noncommittal. Or not.

Anyone have any leads?

Crow
2015-01-18, 01:56 AM
Stuff that pays online tends to pay really, really little. Like pennies.

You can kill some time on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Once you get a good rep you can gain access to better, but still crappy paying jobs. Frankly you might be better off doing paid surveys.

Jak
2015-01-18, 02:41 AM
Stuff that pays online tends to pay really, really little. Like pennies.

You can kill some time on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Once you get a good rep you can gain access to better, but still crappy paying jobs. Frankly you might be better off doing paid surveys.

Okay, thanks. On that note, know of any decent survey sites?

Crow
2015-01-18, 03:00 AM
Okay, thanks. On that note, know of any decent survey sites?

Check pennyhoarder.com, that site usually has links to all sorts of easy ways to make some meager bucks.

ranagrande
2015-01-18, 03:20 AM
My experience was the other way around. That is, I could consistently make on MTurk than on survey sites. (Although I often took surveys on MTurk.)

Like Crow says though, don't expect to make much. I think I usually averaged between one and two dollars an hour.

Jak
2015-01-18, 03:51 AM
That's fine. It's basically just something to occupy myself with while I'm at work. You know. "Yo dawg, we heard you liked employment, so we put a job in yo job, so you can work while you work!". That sort of thing.

Not to mention, this way, I will never technically be unemployed.

Grinner
2015-01-19, 06:48 PM
One thing worth noting about Mechanical Turk is that you're considered a contract employee and are therefore liable for taxes on whatever you earn, according to the FAQ.

Gavran
2015-01-19, 07:02 PM
One thing worth noting about Mechanical Turk is that you're considered a contract employee and are therefore liable for taxes on whatever you earn, according to the FAQ.

In general I'd advise not taking tax advice off the internet, and such things may vary by country state and who knows what else, but I am all but certain that in some cases that is not true if you do not make above a certain amount per year. That said, the money from your "real" job probably does contribute to (and surpass, it is not a large sum) that amount, so, Grinner is probably correct.

From my own experiences with MTurk I found the best combination of (time spent looking for tasks + time spent doing tasks / payment) to be audio transcriptions (I'm thinking you can maybe listen on your phone and type on a real keyboard?). I am however an above average typist (over 90 WPM generally, my record in high school was 120) so it's possible that it wouldn't work as well for someone else. I should also caution you that it can be very frustrating when the audio is not clear. And that the pay is still significantly below minimum wage. If you aren't trying to fill hours with Turking though, there is a subreddit r/hitsworthturkingfor where users post only relatively profitable / easy tasks, and I find it's pretty easy to slip a few of those into a break for a few "free" dollars a day. Many are surveys which should probably work fine on your phone.

Crow
2015-01-19, 08:06 PM
In general I'd advise not taking tax advice off the internet, and such things may vary by country state and who knows what else, but I am all but certain that in some cases that is not true if you do not make above a certain amount per year. That said, the money from your "real" job probably does contribute to (and surpass, it is not a large sum) that amount, so, Grinner is probably correct.

From my own experiences with MTurk I found the best combination of (time spent looking for tasks + time spent doing tasks / payment) to be audio transcriptions (I'm thinking you can maybe listen on your phone and type on a real keyboard?). I am however an above average typist (over 90 WPM generally, my record in high school was 120) so it's possible that it wouldn't work as well for someone else. I should also caution you that it can be very frustrating when the audio is not clear. And that the pay is still significantly below minimum wage. If you aren't trying to fill hours with Turking though, there is a subreddit r/hitsworthturkingfor where users post only relatively profitable / easy tasks, and I find it's pretty easy to slip a few of those into a break for a few "free" dollars a day. Many are surveys which should probably work fine on your phone.

This is spot on. The audio transcriptions are the best, and are actually some of the least boring.

TheThan
2015-01-19, 08:30 PM
I used to plan DnD adventures during free time/breaks. Yeah I know it’s not a job or a way of making money, but it was something to do.
I kept a note book in a backpack and I’d break it out and jot ideas down while I was on lunch or whatever. Now a days you can use a tablet, laptop, phone etc to do pretty much the same thing.

Jak
2015-01-20, 01:17 AM

Thanks, I actually completely forgot about taxes. I don't want theirs coming to get me.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

007_ctrl_room
2015-01-21, 01:55 PM
Does your work's IT dept use any network tracking software that can see what sites people are on all day at work? If it doesn't your're probably good, but if you have a Bill Lumbergh-type boss and work scenario it may not be wise to be (caught) working on something else that isn't work related. Just a friendly FYI :)

Corlindale
2015-01-21, 04:03 PM
I did some work for Lionbridge when I was studying, related to search engine optimization. Pretty well paid and even quite interesting at times. I just googled them again, looks like they are still hiring.

Serpentine
2015-01-22, 05:09 AM
I'm gonna check out a bunch of these to try and get some extra change. Thanks all!