PDA

View Full Version : In two hours I will dm my first campaign

Gün
2015-01-23, 10:02 AM
And I am afraid. It is like I am forgetting all knowledge I have about game and campaign.

Red Fel
2015-01-23, 10:22 AM
And I am afraid. It is like I am forgetting all knowledge I have about game and campaign.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Still with us? Good. Okay, here's what you need to do. Look around the table. Are the players having a good time? Are they laughing where appropriate, are they focused on the game? If so, you're doing it right. Everything else is secondary - if the players (and you!) are having a good time, you're doing a good job.

Here's a neat tidbit: Every DM forgets things. The best and the worst. Everyone slips. Forgets to ask for a die roll, forgets that he had an NPC waiting in the wings, forgets about the trap he had sitting there, forgets that this particular monster has a breath weapon, forgets the rule on how to calculate a grapple. It happens. So don't worry about it; roll with it.

Look, if your players know you're new at this, and they're your friends, they'll cut you slack. If you need a moment to double-check some rules or numbers, ask them for it. Trust between the players and DM starts with the DM admitting his limits.

Relax. Breathe. Take a few notes on any mechanics or rules that might be important.

And then, when the game starts, have fun. That's it. Breathe, relax, and have fun.

The rest will come with experience.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-01-23, 10:28 AM
well, first of all, relax. Here's a few things you should focus on.

How the game is starting. I mean, literally, the first moment of the game. from there, everything should fall into place. Let the players know where they are, and what is going on.

A lot of players, in my experience, will seem to be judging you very harshly, but they'll actually be having fun anyway.

If you mess up, they should understand. Just say "hey, give me a second to collect my notes/thoughts, yeah?".

If you think it will help you, write quick room descriptions for places you know the group will go. As long as you don't act like you're in front of the class giving a speech, they'll appreciate the extra effort. you can even add extra details that serve no purpose but to make the scene more immersive.

Just relax. They'll have more fun if you are enjoying yourself. anything else?

blacklight101
2015-01-23, 11:17 AM
I think I shall mooch off some of this advice too, my own game begins after my players return from magfest. My worry has been having a few sidequests laid out and just something for them to do, for the most part. Given what was said above, I need some better descriptions for my rooms, at least.

If it goes like the CharGen session, i think it might be ok. Plenty of laughing and figuring out rules and (what I think was) having a good time. If nothing else, I plan on surviving the session mostly intact and starting up an after-action report.

Now I just need to relax. Thats the hard part.

gom jabbarwocky
2015-01-23, 11:42 AM
Like the good guide says, don't panic! is the first step to solving any crisis.

After that, just remember that you're here to have fun, so don't stress out about it. However, I think it's also important to give yourself, as they say, permission to fail. So what if the game doesn't go how you panned, or you mess up, or forget some stuff. Oh well! It's just a game. There will always be other opportunities to get it right, and learn from it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-01-23, 11:52 AM
Also, keep a notepad with a pencil. Take notes on what happens, and if you have to make up names on the spot or forget something. Then, you can go back to your campaign notes and fill things in or adjust them later.

Stuff happens during the session--the most important thing is to just keep going! :smallsmile: You can do cleanup afterwards.

Gün
2015-01-23, 03:20 PM
Well, I just finished first session. Thanks for all tips and calming attitude. It went a little bit silly with three inexperienced players and one inexperienced gm but I was expecting far worse than that.

Now I can see there are some issues with my campaign. My players are missing my little plot hooks and clues like crazy. And my combat design a little bit bland. (Note to self: 1 vs 1 martial fights are boring as hell. Never do that again.). And my players said they had fun. So I am happy.

Thanks again for all supporting post though. I am sure that I will bother you with my questions in the future. :D

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-23, 03:25 PM
Everyone starts somewhere, remember that. Even great DMs were one time noobish DMs. (And honestly, if your first session didn't end in a fist-fight or screaming match, you're ahead of the game) If you wish to talk about your issues, there are nice people here willing to help.

A tip for future games? Ask your players what THEY want to do. If they don't like your hooks, ask them if there is anything they wish to do.

Joe the Rat
2015-01-23, 03:51 PM
Glad you survived.

Sometimes it takes a little time to get your legs under you, but so long as everyone is having fun, you're doing okay.

And listen to the Honest Tiefling - see what interests the players, and use that to set up plot points.

Beta Centauri
2015-01-23, 04:04 PM
Well, I just finished first session. Thanks for all tips and calming attitude. It went a little bit silly with three inexperienced players and one inexperienced gm but I was expecting far worse than that.

Now I can see there are some issues with my campaign. My players are missing my little plot hooks and clues like crazy. And my combat design a little bit bland. (Note to self: 1 vs 1 martial fights are boring as hell. Never do that again.). And my players said they had fun. So I am happy.

Thanks again for all supporting post though. I am sure that I will bother you with my questions in the future. :D They will continue to miss your hooks. Let them, and provide more, or just have adventure arise wherever they decide to go or whatever they decide to do.

Also, don't sweat the rules. If your heart is in the right place, and you want the game to be fun for everyone (including you) you'll know how to rule, even if you can't recall the exact rule.

Congratulations on a good first session. I hope you have many more.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-01-23, 07:17 PM

Thanks again for all supporting post though. I am sure that I will bother you with my questions in the future. :D

what are some examples of plot hooks used in your game? I'm sure we can figure out a way to make them a little more...gripping?

Blackhawk748
2015-01-23, 08:04 PM

Well if their missing the plot hooks drop them in the parties lap. I like Bounty Boards. Have them outside of small town taverns. Sample Board post

Wanted: Red Fang Goblin Raiders Bounty 500gp for Chief Grimkull's head and 20 gp per additional goblin head.

Works well for me.

redwizard007
2015-01-23, 08:23 PM
The thing that helps me most as a DM is having a handful of easily modified generic encounters set up and ready to go. Obviously you want to balance them against the party when planning (per CR/XP cost or whatever mechanic is appropriate to your game,) and they should be built generic but remain easily tailored to specific situations with small detail tweaks. Why? Because players are notorious for ignoring plot hooks and DMs can get frustrated with "winging it."

Example:

Adventure I spent a week planning an adventure that involves the PCs attacking a goblin village BUT the PCs decide to travel across the hills to mop up some ogres I mentioned in passing 3 sessions ago... Thats OK. I can put together the Ogre fight while someone is smoking or paying for the pizza. Meanwhile they need to get to the ogres. Enter my goblins. I already have stats written up for multiple goblin combatants for the genocide village assault. With no changes, they get plugged in as "wandering monsters" to add encounters and flesh out the session. I was even able to take a handful of specific encounters I had planned and change the window dressing to fit new locations as outposts rather than guard towers or hunting parties instead of reinforcements. Why are there so many goblins? Because no one has taken the time to sack their village and they breed like rats, maybe you guys should clean them out next week, huh? Now I even get to use the stinkin goblins again next session.

This can be done with virtually any low CR humanoids but its even easier with humans...

Bandits = guards = soldiers = bounty hunters = thugs (change the description and go.)

Location/battlefield conditions provide variety

rough terrain is always your friend but don't neglect stream, boulder, trees, dry creek bed, steep slope, and edge of cliff. These aren't necessary all the time but should be making regular appearances. Remember, if the terrain makes an encounter particularly difficult it should result in more XP.

Once you have the ability to reuse encounter material it is less frustrating when things go off script.