PDA

View Full Version : Can Shapechanger (subtype) be ressurrected?

Blood_of_Denial
2015-01-25, 03:14 AM
After playing a game where my Barghest (Was originally a Human but was Reincarnated) was one-shot killed by a Roper (He was hit by a single tentacle and failed the fort save so he took 2d8 Str Damage). My character is a wizard with a strength of 10. He took 12 Str Damage, so according to my DMs rules....Anything below a Str of 1 dies. Okay, Fine. I can handle that. However being a barghest with the Shapechanger Subtype essentially means I cannot be resurrected...only reincarnated.
My question is about whether there is anything saying Shapechangers can't be resurrected and if so where can I find it?

Zaydos
2015-01-25, 03:21 AM
After playing a game where my Barghest (Was originally a Human but was Reincarnated) was one-shot killed by a Roper (He was hit by a single tentacle and failed the fort save so he took 2d8 Str Damage). My character is a wizard with a strength of 10. He took 12 Str Damage, so according to my DMs rules....Anything below a Str of 1 dies. Okay, Fine. I can handle that. However being a barghest with the Shapechanger Subtype essentially means I cannot be resurrected...only reincarnated.
My question is about whether there is anything saying Shapechangers can't be resurrected and if so where can I find it?

I think this probably belongs in the Role Playing Game subforum not the Homebrew one. There is nothing in the shapechanger subtype about preventing you from being resurrected, however aren't barghests Outsiders? If your type was changed to Outsider has the following trait:

"Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be."

Blood_of_Denial
2015-01-25, 03:59 AM
I think this probably belongs in the Role Playing Game subforum not the Homebrew one. There is nothing in the shapechanger subtype about preventing you from being resurrected, however aren't barghests Outsiders? If your type was changed to Outsider has the following trait:

"Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be."

The way my DM has seen it, is that because the Original body and soul were Natives to the Material plane....so is the current Barghest form. I seem to have trouble understanding why he would have a problem with Shapechangers then. =/

Solaris
2015-01-25, 10:15 AM
Kinda sounds like he's out to kill your character to get you changed into something else, likely because a barghest is significantly more powerful than a human. If you're an outsider, then RAW he doesn't even have to let your character be reincarnated; only seriously high-level spells can bring him back, which may or may not be available to the setting.

dethkruzer
2015-01-26, 07:50 AM

so, the strength<1 is a houserule thing then? because assuming this is 3.5(might i usggest specifying the edition?), the base rules is that the only ability damage that can kill by reducing to 0 is constitution. strngeth and dexterity leave you unable to move, mental stats leave you comatose.