PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other cthulhu stats

demoniccow
2015-01-25, 08:57 PM
does this sound like acceptable stats for Cthulhu (I am one of the people who thinks that Cthulhu is underpowered in 3.5
str 45, dex 10, con 40, int 35, wis 35, cha 45
900 hp
colossal +++ (300 ft tall by 20 feet wide, counts as a -8 size mod on attack rolls)
BAB- 23 not including size mod
alignment-CE
dr-10
speed- 70,
melee-2 claws 1d20 +10
CR- top level party

Spell like abilities.
telepathy, can speak to you from his brain to yours. this gives him +5 on diplomacy.

frightful presence-This special quality makes a creature’s very presence unsettling to foes. It takes effect automatically when the creature performs some sort of dramatic action (such as charging, attacking, or snarling). Opponents within range who witness the action may become frightened or shaken. Actions required to trigger the ability are given in the creature’s descriptive text. The range is 30 feet, and the duration is 3d6 rounds. This ability affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the creature has. An affected opponent can resist the effects with a successful Will save (DC 35). An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that same creature’s frightful presence for 24 hours.

immune to death effects

by concentrating for 5 rounds, Cthulhu can summon a lesser old one. If anyone damages him then he must make a dc 28 concentration check
__________________________________________________ _________________
lesser old one- Str 31, Dex 11, Con 31, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 20
Base Atk +12; CMB +24; CMD 34
Speed 40 ft. fly 20
Melee 2 claws +20 (1d6+10) or bite +20 (1d8+10)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
__________________________________________________ _____________

This makes Cthulhu a very defensive but powerful tank that calls others to do his bidding, but can still hold his own in a fight. Also this is my first home brew monster so if there is anything huge that I am missing, please tell me.

Eldan
2015-01-26, 03:39 AM
Seems about right for what he does in The Call of Cthulhu, but honestly, I'd say it's actually quite boring to fight.
Will take ages to fight but, well, won't actually do much itself. A high-level fighter could just stand opposite this guy and trade blows until one falls over. The one would probably be Cthulhu, especially if there's also a healer. A mid-level wizard will laugh at this, there are so many ways to kill it. Incorporeality or etherealness, and he can't hurt you. Flying and he can't hurt you. 10 dexterity damage and he's down, or any other ability damage.

The stats seem wrong, though and are only half-done. No type, no hit dice listed, no saves and I'm pretty sure those HP are just arbitrary.

Shpadoinkle
2015-01-26, 04:21 AM
Really, the only stats you need for Cthulhu are as follows:

-Consumes 1d4 characters per round.

Eldan
2015-01-26, 04:42 AM
Really, the only stats you need for Cthulhu are as follows:

-Consumes 1d4 characters per round.

Not in D&D. In D&D he's midlevel at best and not all that impressive.

AuraTwilight
2015-01-26, 05:00 AM
The Pathfinder stats are adequate. Those, or the d20 Call of Cthulhu stats. I'm slightly partial to the latter.

AirApparent
2015-01-26, 06:30 PM
First off its kind of hard to do Cthulhu well without some kind of madness/Insanity system. I do recall in the d20 Call of Cthulhu just seeing him deals 1d100 sanity damage (where the max is 95 i think).

Secondly, Cthulhu would probably have DR/epic or something like it, resistance to at least most of the energy types and immunity to at least fire or cold. Also, throw in some interesting abilities. It should be an epic boss battle not a boring slugfest.

Also, you need to finish up the stat block.

Citrakayah
2015-01-26, 07:11 PM
You forgot a weakness to boats.

JNAProductions
2015-01-26, 09:23 PM
Alignment CE? I'd think Outer Gods and their servitors would be beyond alignments as we know them. Probably better to list as N, because that's really what he is to humans and the like. He doesn't care, good or bad.

Hanuman
2015-01-26, 10:16 PM
Cthulu http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu

Great Old One Subtype http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#subtype-great-old-one

Citrakayah
2015-01-26, 11:48 PM
Alignment CE? I'd think Outer Gods and their servitors would be beyond alignments as we know them. Probably better to list as N, because that's really what he is to humans and the like. He doesn't care, good or bad.

I'll be honest, I've always hated that trope.

Stick him as Chaotic Evil, no matter how much he whines about how he's beyond us mere mortals. Unless we're going to stick every psycho with delusions of grandeur as neutral.

JNAProductions
2015-01-26, 11:52 PM
Matter of opinion, that is. (And become, I have, Yoda, apparently.)

The way I see it, Outer Gods are so far removed from being human or caring about humans (and all race equivalents) that they aren't evil, they're just uncaring. Whereas a human (or formerly human/other race) madman started off with a chance at the right moral framework and just failed at it.

That being said, as compared to the relatively black and white D&D setting, it's pretty reasonable to have them be CE. In addition, if you're actually fighting them with a chance at victory, they're (almost) certinaly going to care about the party, even if they don't give two... [insert appropiate word here because I can't make this expression work properly] about the rest of the world.

Hanuman
2015-01-27, 06:49 PM
Matter of opinion, that is. (And become, I have, Yoda, apparently.)

The way I see it, Outer Gods are so far removed from being human or caring about humans (and all race equivalents) that they aren't evil, they're just uncaring. Whereas a human (or formerly human/other race) madman started off with a chance at the right moral framework and just failed at it.

That being said, as compared to the relatively black and white D&D setting, it's pretty reasonable to have them be CE. In addition, if you're actually fighting them with a chance at victory, they're (almost) certinaly going to care about the party, even if they don't give two... [insert appropiate word here because I can't make this expression work properly] about the rest of the world.

DnD is generally black and white because alignment is a divine thing in itself, you could just apply Beyond Morality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes#TOC-Beyond-Morality-Ex-) to avoid this mixing.

What I would like to see is a god/dess of alignment, and just defer all ruling as such to them, could apply it as a layer like mystra's weave, you could blow a hole in the fabric of morality....:smallamused:

Eldan
2015-01-28, 03:00 AM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I begin to dislike this whole beyond morality thing myself. If the Lady of Pain, the Aboleths, the Elder Brains, Primus, Pale Night, the personified Abyss, Asmodeus, the Elemental Evils, the Immortals of Mystara etc. can all have an alignment, then so can Cthulhu. He's a little chump compared to most of those. What it is, we can debate.

He doesn't really ever do much in his stories, so we have no idea what his motives and morality are. That's not because they are incomprehensible, that's because they are never portrayed. Cthulhu is a blank slate. Perhaps he's a homicidal maniac out to kill all humans (CE). Perhaps he's just the last member of his vanished race and confused after waking up(Neutral-something). Perhaps he ruled a star empire with an iron fist (LE). We just don't know.

And really, no one call tell me Nyarlathotep isn't evil.

Hanuman
2015-01-28, 05:44 AM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I begin to dislike this whole beyond morality thing myself. If the Lady of Pain, the Aboleths, the Elder Brains, Primus, Pale Night, the personified Abyss, Asmodeus, the Elemental Evils, the Immortals of Mystara etc. can all have an alignment, then so can Cthulhu. He's a little chump compared to most of those. What it is, we can debate.

He doesn't really ever do much in his stories, so we have no idea what his motives and morality are. That's not because they are incomprehensible, that's because they are never portrayed. Cthulhu is a blank slate. Perhaps he's a homicidal maniac out to kill all humans (CE). Perhaps he's just the last member of his vanished race and confused after waking up(Neutral-something). Perhaps he ruled a star empire with an iron fist (LE). We just don't know.

And really, no one call tell me Nyarlathotep isn't evil.
That is a good point, generally I don't care much for cthulu, he is an iconic well defined being which is kind of the lighter softer side of far realms potential. Things can exist as tears in the fabric of reality, or warping of reality in on itself in sort of a hypercube nth dimensional way, sure you can have a positive or negative plane but when you start crossing universes where physics there is just wrong, where you have the nature of reality changing because of a puncture between universes and an infection of how reality fundamentally functions, then you start to have some big issues, one being that some things just don't have a morality because in their turf it may not exist as a concept (in terms of divine) kind of like not having matter that reflects light and that light doesn't necessarily exist in their plane, even when entering ours it still doesn't reflect or may cause a growing area around the puncture to not reflect, ect.

http://i.imgur.com/q89fOJJ.jpg

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!"

Eldan
2015-01-28, 07:12 AM
Sure, yes, but those are also things so incomprehensible that you can not meaningfully interact with them in a game. If it has stats, it probbly also has an alignment.