Arcane Breastplate
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Componants: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level

You speak a few words and tap your finger to a metal plate as invisible armor covers your body.

An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a arcane armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC.

Unlike mundane armor, arcane breastplate entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since arcane breastplate is made of force, incorporeal creatures can’t bypass it the way they do normal armor.

Focus: A small metal plate

Arcane Breastplate, Greater
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

This spell functions just like the arcane breastplate spell, except it provides a +6 armor bonus to AC instead of +4.

Shield, Greater
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3

This spell functions just like the shield spell, except it provides a +6 shield bonus to AC instead of +4.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-03, 08:50 PM
I like it too; it's hard not to like it when it's so massively powerful.

However, these spells break it even more; at 5th level AbCh, you can cast two swift, extended spells to gain a +22 to AC. That's ridiculous.

Fizban
2007-04-04, 01:19 AM
Well, if one was following the spirit of the class (as apparently they meant to include mage armor in their bonuses, and just don't know how their own game works), then it's not far off. The only increase is greater shield, for an extra +2 over normal shield.

I personally like the idea of combining some Argent Savant levels, for an extra +2 to each force spell that grants AC.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-04, 01:53 AM
I made these when I decided to make a character for fun and wanted to create a tank that was pure caster, and didn't use any real armors or shields. And it just bugged me that mage armor and greater mage armor weren't abjuration...So these were born.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-04, 01:07 PM
I agree it was probably the intent to have Mage Armor included, but you have to stop and look at the class;
Full BAB
d10 hit Die
Full Caster Progressionuse
5 Very useful abilities;

Shield (a 1st level spell) is automatically quickened and extended for +9 AC;
Endure Elements, Resist Energy, Dispel Magic, and Explosive Runes are all automatically quickened/extended.

Frankly, these spells give too much bonus to a class that is already too powerful without them.

Fizban
2007-04-04, 11:25 PM
It also requires two (nearly) wasted feats: combat casting and martial weapon proficiency. But MWP is easily circumvented and combat casting still has it's uses. I would:

Extend the armor bonus to pretty much any spell that grants an armor or shield bonus to AC: there's no reason to restrict it to abjuration.

Up the prereqs to proficiency with all martial weapons, thereby costing at least one level of spellcasting.

Remove a level of spellcasting at an appropriate level, either 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Probably 3rd so as to not gimp spellcasting in the early levels, but I can't rememer how frontloaded levels 1 and 2 are.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-05, 12:47 AM
It also requires two (nearly) wasted feats: combat casting and martial weapon proficiency. But MWP is easily circumvented and combat casting still has it's uses. I would:

Extend the armor bonus to pretty much any spell that grants an armor or shield bonus to AC: there's no reason to restrict it to abjuration.

Up the prereqs to proficiency with all martial weapons, thereby costing at least one level of spellcasting.

Remove a level of spellcasting at an appropriate level, either 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Probably 3rd so as to not gimp spellcasting in the early levels, but I can't rememer how frontloaded levels 1 and 2 are.
Hmm, I like these suggestions. Just reading them over seems to fill in a gap the Abjurant Champion has.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-05, 11:41 AM
It's heavily frontloaded; these balances are almost balanced (i'd make the gaps at 2nd and 4th) but I still can't stress enough how broken it is to grant a +18 to AC with two quickened extended 1st level spells.

Fizban
2007-04-05, 07:43 PM
That doesn't stack with armor or shield. It's a bit more than you'd get with armor and shield, and sooner, but it doesn't help your damage at all. You save some money on armor, the other abilities are better.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-06, 10:45 AM
That doesn't stack with armor or shield. It's a bit more than you'd get with armor and shield, and sooner, but it doesn't help your damage at all. You save some money on armor, the other abilities are better.
It also has no Arcane spell failure, no ACP, doesn't require a body slot and works against Incorporeal creatures; +9 Bracers of Armor are epic items.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 09:30 PM
Why not have this Spell last 1 Hour per Level as Mage Armour?

Arbitrarity
2007-04-06, 10:01 PM
As it is, don't we have Greater Luminous armour? Full plate anyone?