PDA

View Full Version : Help making an Eldritch Theurge

Eldmor
2007-04-03, 08:29 PM
So; I just picked up Complete Mage and it's awesome so far.
I was thinking how to make an optimum Eldritch Theurge. Since Charisma is part of Warlock, I think a Warlock/Sorcerer would be good.
Besides that, what spells should a sorcerer know and what invocations should a warlock know to maximize the Theurge abilities? I'm also having trouble finding a low if no level adjustment race that gives a bonus to Charisma. Being small would also help, to increase the attack for Eldritch Blasts.

And please; no bashing the warlock in this topic. Take it somewhere else.

Dhavaer
2007-04-03, 08:32 PM
Touch of Vecna is pretty awesome. Any touch range spell is great with the Greatreach blast, although it takes a while to get. When I made one, I took the Sherem-lar Sorcery and Sherezem-lar Sorcery feats from Ghostwalk to pump Charisma, made it very good with save-or-die spells. It requires that you be a green-eyed female human, but they're very good feats.

Piccamo
2007-04-03, 08:59 PM
Don't you play females anyway?

Eldmor
2007-04-03, 09:14 PM
Touch of Vecna is pretty awesome. Any touch range spell is great with the Greatreach blast, although it takes a while to get. When I made one, I took the Sherem-lar Sorcery and Sherezem-lar Sorcery feats from Ghostwalk to pump Charisma, made it very good with save-or-die spells. It requires that you be a green-eyed female human, but they're very good feats.
Where could I find Touch of Vecna? Sounds nice and powerful despite not knowing what it is. :smalltongue:
And I'll take a gander at Ghostwalk. It's always been an odd book to me since it's not part of a series, in a major campaign setting, or containing a crap ton of magical items.

Dhavaer
2007-04-03, 09:43 PM
Don't you play females anyway?

Yes.

Where could I find Touch of Vecna? Sounds nice and powerful despite not knowing what it is. :smalltongue:
And I'll take a gander at Ghostwalk. It's always been an odd book to me since it's not part of a series, in a major campaign setting, or containing a crap ton of magical items.

Touch of Vecna is in Complete Mage, I think. If not, Spell Compendium.
Ghostwalk is good as long as you ignore all the ghost stuff.

Eldmor
2007-04-03, 09:50 PM
Found Touch of Vecna. Damn, that is badass. Making everyone around them believe they are dead is just as good as killing them outright. I like it. I also took a look at the other Touch of spells in Complete Mage.
Could Touch of the Graveborn be Weaved into a blast? If so, that's some nice damage.
Touch of Years is a great hit and run spell. Prepare a few of them, fire them all off, and run like hell is on your heels.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 09:54 PM
any touch spell can be as far as i know

Galdor Miriel
2007-04-04, 07:57 AM
One thing I would consider, also from the complete mage, would be the fey heritage feats or fiend heritage feats, to give you some pretty useful dr and chutzpah. Warlocks rock because they are cool. With a warlock its not about the Class, its more about the class.

Eldmor
2007-04-04, 12:06 PM
With a warlock its not about the Class, its more about the class.
Although I don't want to sacrifice Class so I have class, but then I get out-Classed. See what I mean? :smalltongue:
I was looking around Crystal Keep and Half-Fey doesn't look too bad. Bonus to Dex+Cha, a fly speed, and advancing spell-like abilities. The level adjustment could be easily bought off. Plus I wouldn't have to waste feats on Fey Heritage and can instead use them on other things like Spell Penetration.
Sound good, or should I stick with the feat route?

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-04, 12:10 PM
Good ol' Vampiric Touch could be a good spell to shoot at people via Eldtrich Blast. Does the EB damage count towards the healing?

blue chicken
2007-04-04, 12:18 PM
Not that I know much about the Warlock, but...+1 level adjustment, small size, and Charisma mod...plus natural armor, blind fight, scent, and some energy resistance...there's always the Dromite. Depends on if you're afraid of psionic races or not, though. Just a thought.

Eldmor
2007-04-04, 12:37 PM
Not that I know much about the Warlock, but...+1 level adjustment, small size, and Charisma mod...plus natural armor, blind fight, scent, and some energy resistance...there's always the Dromite. Depends on if you're afraid of psionic races or not, though. Just a thought.
I forgot about the bug people! I love psionic races, just I'm not sure if the next DM I'll be under will like them. Otherwise, dromite seems like a good low LA race. Although the flavor seems a bit of. A psionically gifted bug that pacts with high arcane beings?
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Galdor Miriel
2007-04-04, 12:37 PM
Although I don't want to sacrifice Class so I have class, but then I get out-Classed. See what I mean?

I think any way of adding the fey is good for flavour with the warlock and the eldritch theurge. With the campaign I am in, if I lose my wizard the two options I am tempted by as a backup character are a street fighter *** swashbuckler, or the eldritch theurge. I will definitely come back to this thread for pointers if my wizard goes to the big arcane laboratory in the sky. Its a cool mix with a lot of role play possibilities.

GM