PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cryomancer (Frost Mage / Ice Mage) - A Sorcerer Class Option

stormywaters
2015-01-30, 01:35 AM
Cryomancer
(The following is a third option for the Sorcerous Origin class feature)

You come from a land locked in perpetual ice. Summers are chilly and winters are downright deadly. This unending frost has left its mark on your soul and you've learned to draw forth that same icy grip from deep within.

Where you travel, ice follows. The air around you saps heat from other creatures. Your skin is frigid to touch and your companions find themselves clutching their cloaks ever tighter in your presence.

That's alright. The cold never bothered you anyway.

Born of Ice
Wintertouched
Frozen magic comes as naturally as breathing.

At first level, you may add Ray of Frost to your list of known cantrips. When you cast Ray of Frost, you may treat damage dice that show a 1 or 2 as though you had rolled a 3 instead.

Aura of Cold
With a moment's focus you freeze the air around you, draining heat from friend and foe alike.

You may surround yourself with an Aura of Cold as a bonus action on your turn. This aura extends five feet from you in every direction, and lasts until dismissed as a bonus action. The area within the zone is covered in a thin layer of ice, creating difficult terrain. If an enemy within this aura makes an attack roll against you, you may use your reaction to deal cold damage equal to your Charisma modifier to the attacker.

Deep Freeze
Your frost cuts deep into muscle, making your foes sluggish and occasionally freezing them in their tracks.

Beginning at level 6, whenever you deal cold damage with a spell, add your Charisma modifier to the damage dealt. At the same time you may choose to apply one of the following additional effects to that spell:

Slow - Spend 1 sorcery point to reduce the speed of one of the spell's targets by 10 feet until the end of your next turn. This effect is cumulative with any other speed-reducing effects.
Freeze - Spend 2 sorcery points to make one target of the spell become frozen in ice. That creatures is grappled until it breaks free; the DC to escape this grapple is equal to your spell save DC.
Frostbite - Spend 3 sorcery points to make one target of the spell become locked in unnaturally-cold ice. That creatures is grappled until it breaks free; the DC to escape this grapple is equal to your spell save DC. Until the creature breaks free from this effect, it is vulnerable to cold damage.

Heart of Ice
Unchilled
Ice has made its home in your heart. It no longer holds any power over you.

You gain immunity to the effects of cold weather (though you still take cold damage from attacks and spells as normal).

Empowered Aura of Cold
Your icy aura grows stronger - and colder. The ground around your feet slicks with frost, tripping those who tread near.

Your Aura of Cold extends to 10 feet and you may spend one sorcery point when you activate it to create slippery ice in the aura while it lasts. Creatures entering or moving within this zone must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or fall prone. A creature must only make one such save each turn.

Shield of Ice
You have learned that ice can not only strike, but it can protect.

You may spend your action to create an icy barrier in a half-circle within 5 feet of yourself. This barrier provides half cover and lasts until the end of your next turn, though you may spend a bonus action to maintain this barrier. The barrier has an AC of 12 and 30 hit points, and is vulnerable to fire damage. Reducing this barrier to 0 hit points destroys it, leaving behind a 5-foot area of difficult terrain until the end of your next turn.

Frozen Mastery
Piercing Cold
The air around you is not merely cold, it slices through the heaviest clothing and bites the soul.

Your Aura of Cold extends to 15 feet. Each enemy within your aura is vulnerable to cold damage and has their speed reduced by 10 feet. Enemies normally resistant to cold damage lose that resistance (but do not gain vulnerability from this effect). You are resistant to cold damage while your aura is active.

As an action, you may expend a spell slot to extend the radius of your Aura of Cold by 5 feet per level of the spell slot expended. This effect lasts for one minute, or until you lose your concentration (treat this effect as though you were concentrating on a spell).

Frozen Metamagic
Your intimate knowledge of icy arcana allows you to rewrite magic to suit your needs.

You gain the use of the following Metamagic option, in addition to your other Metamagic options:

Frigid Infusion: When you cast a spell that deals damage, you may spend 1 sorcery point per level of the spell to change the type of damage dealt by that spell to cold damage. Targets hit by this spell have their speed reduced by 10 feet until the end of your next turn.

Rfkannen
2015-01-30, 08:11 AM
So its a bloodline, so you get it from a very young age withought studying, you might even have trouble controlling it. And it is about ice

Let it go, let it go, cant hold it back any mooore.

Aura of cold seems a bit op. Free dificult terrain and charisma damage. I might just not understand how difficult terrain works, but that seems op. Only the level 1 realy, i dont think you should get that at level 1.

frigid infusian seems like something you should get earlier, very flavorful and not realy worth a level 18

stormywaters
2015-01-30, 02:29 PM
So its a bloodline, so you get it from a very young age withought studying, you might even have trouble controlling it. And it is about ice

Let it go, let it go, cant hold it back any mooore.

Ah, you busted me! If you check my signature, this isn't the first homebrew frost mage I've done. It's kinda my thing.

Aura of cold seems a bit op. Free dificult terrain and charisma damage. I might just not understand how difficult terrain works, but that seems op. Only the level 1 realy, i dont think you should get that at level 1.

Difficult terrain just takes double movement, so moving through 5 feet of difficult terrain costs 10 feet of movement instead of 5. It only extends extends 5 feet at level one, so it's not a whole lot of difficult terrain. The Charisma damage requires my reaction, so I can use it once per round, and it means I can't take any other reactions.

frigid infusian seems like something you should get earlier, very flavorful and not realy worth a level 18

I could move that around, but the earlier levels already seem pretty packed as it is. Plus with the aura creating vulnerability, it becomes "Spent 1 point to double the damage".

Rfkannen
2015-01-30, 02:35 PM
Ah, you busted me! If you check my signature, this isn't the first homebrew frost mage I've done. It's kinda my thing.

Difficult terrain just takes double movement, so moving through 5 feet of difficult terrain costs 10 feet of movement instead of 5. It only extends extends 5 feet at level one, so it's not a whole lot of difficult terrain. The Charisma damage requires my reaction, so I can use it once per round, and it means I can't take any other reactions.

I could move that around, but the earlier levels already seem pretty packed as it is. Plus with the aura creating vulnerability, it becomes "Spent 1 point to double the damage".

Ah right, I did forget what ecactly that did. Not op.

Hmm, your right, with vulnerability that would be a bit to op.

stormywaters
2015-01-30, 02:49 PM
I tweaked some things a little further. I changed the ability that restrains to something a little less powerful. I increased the cost to transform spells to cold, and added a slowing effect to compensate a little bit.

I also increased the cost to extend the range of the aura, since it was basically free and really powerful. Now it takes spell slots to do so.

Submortimer
2015-01-30, 02:59 PM
Would you say that the cryo mage come from the land of the ice and snow? what does the sun look like at midnight? Are there any hot springs flowing there?

Amnoriath
2015-01-30, 07:18 PM
You have a good structure and idea of what you want to do. Though there are a couple of issues with this class.
1. You need to refrain from giving multiple sets of abilities per level. 5e is about simpilicity, it is one thing if you are trying to work in something passive or increasing a previous power. The problem is you have a consistent 2-3 abilities each archetype level.
2. You need to specify a duration or limit to your Aura of Cold. While it is small being able to do this unlimited at level 1 can easily slow the entire field not to mention what you can do later on.
3. As this is an Origin you ought to refluff it to fit with the idea of cold infused beginnings from whatever source.

stormywaters
2015-01-30, 07:34 PM
You have a good structure and idea of what you want to do. Though there are a couple of issues with this class.
1. You need to refrain from giving multiple sets of abilities per level. 5e is about simpilicity, it is one thing if you are trying to work in something passive or increasing a previous power. The problem is you have a consistent 2-3 abilities each archetype level.
2. You need to specify a duration or limit to your Aura of Cold. While it is small being able to do this unlimited at level 1 can easily slow the entire field not to mention what you can do later on.
3. As this is an Origin you ought to refluff it to fit with the idea of cold infused beginnings from whatever source.

I think I might just scrap the Sorcerous Origin idea and make it a base class. Just twist the Sorcerer class, replace some of the class features with features that I want to implement here.

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-01-31, 01:04 PM
Seems to be mandatory: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY