PDA

View Full Version : Original System MajiMonsters - Monster Catcher RPG

Yrnes
2015-01-30, 11:14 PM
A while ago I came around asking if anyone was interested in a monster-catcher role-playing game, and why there was really no representation of the genre in tabletop when you could find so many homebrew reskins for just that after a simple search.

So, with the lack of an official product on the market, we made one. We billed it as "D&D meets Pokemon" at first, but it's totally grown into its own since then.

I got mixed feedback here, but I just wanted to touch base back here in case anyone was interested. We've developed MajiMonsters over the past couple years as a fantasy monster-catching RPG, and we put the idea on Kickstarter last week.

We've raised over $6,000 in support of the idea since we launched last Friday, and we're overwhelmed by the community we've seen come out clamoring for more details. If you're interested, check out the link, or if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289238857/majimonsters-the-monster-catching-tabletop-rpg

Thanks!
Dan

Milo v3
2015-01-31, 12:13 AM
What is the main differences between playing majimonsters rather than Pokemon Tabletop United or Pokemon Tabletop Adventures?

qazzquimby
2015-01-31, 12:22 AM
What do you need the money for? I've seen systems produced and distributed (digitally) without any fundraising.

Milo v3
2015-01-31, 12:26 AM
What do you need the money for? I've seen systems produced and distributed (digitally) without any fundraising.

Paying artists and making physical copies I assume. All the systems I've seen made without fundraising were 100% digital and had to get it's art from the internet or made using minorly edited stock art.

Yrnes
2015-01-31, 12:45 AM
Paying artists and making physical copies I assume. All the systems I've seen made without fundraising were 100% digital and had to get it's art from the internet or made using minorly edited stock art.

This is exactly the case - we're commissioning all the art for the book, plus we're printing and distributing hard copies. We break down our budget use on the Kickstarter page, and the majority of costs goes to those two things. The other costs are minor in comparison but do exist - shipping, legal fees (such as purchasing ISBN, copyrights, etc), and Kickstarter fees eat up the rest. We're not exactly operating on a profit- nearly all the funds will go back into production.

MajiMonsters is a different setting than what's traditionally presented in Pokemon, but you're right- if you want a Pokemon adventure, the games previously mentioned are great alternatives. However, they are 100% digital, requiring printing a ton of materials, and all the art is sourced online. MajiMonsters can provide a book, paper, and dice role-playing experience without the need for laptops, printed books or tablets at the gaming table.

We love the Pokemon games, obviously you can see the influence, but we wanted to take our game a step further. We actually considered gearing the game for Pokemon at first and using the fundraiser to get the license, but early attempts found the numbers didn't seem to crunch right (one of our major gripes with Pokemon Tabletop is that, as basically a reskinning of existing systems, it was cumbersome and clunky to play). Plus going in our own direction with a system and concept allows us the flexibility and control we want over the game as designers.

We know going to a forum to promote a game on Kickstarter can be viewed poorly, so we don't want you take MajiMonsters the wrong way- we're only putting it out there for those that are interested. If you're not, we don't take any offense. But if you are, we're glad to share!

Thanks!