PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer build and RP help.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 08:48 AM
So far I'm a male half Elf sorcerer blue dragon draconic origin. I think I want the criminal background but refluffed as a witches coven that adopted (kidnapped) me and uses me as an errand boy.

Skills: deception, persuasion, intimidate, stealth, acrobatics, and X.

After ability increase from h-elf I'm looking at

12/16/18/10/12/18

Considering spells in this order
So far:

Shocking grasp
True strike

Thunder wave
Witch bolt
2: Magic Missile
3: enhance ability
4: web
5: lightning bolt

Any fun ideas as far as the background goes?
Also, am I missing some obvious optimization here?

goto124
2015-01-31, 09:05 AM
What's his* alignment? The alignment system isn't all that Good good, but it does give a rough guideline on his RP.

Does he like or hate the witches' coven? Did others buly him for being a half-elf?

*Male sex/gender assumed, since you said 'errand boy'.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 09:07 AM
What's his alignment? The alignment system isn't all that Good good, but it does give a rough guideline on his RP.

Does he like or hate the witches' coven? Did others buly him for being a half-elf?

Chaotic neutral maybe?
No, they treat him well as he deals with society on their behalf. He is totally ignorant of the details around his "adoption."

Yes male. Edited original.

Rallicus
2015-01-31, 09:30 AM
Avoid him becoming close to any of the Witches' adoptive "daughters."

Because if we're going by 5e hags here, those daughters are actually babies that have been eaten by the hag and regurgitated and will become hags themselves when they come of age.

Dang 5e fluff, why you so creepy...

goto124
2015-01-31, 10:06 AM
Or, add that to the backstory! That shall be the reason why he's afraid of starting romantic relationships! If you like your sorc that way. Stuff like romance shouldn't show up too often in campaigns. Chances are the only time you get to actually RP this out, is when a girl flirts with him, he gets a little scared, makes his way out, and describes the hag thing when the other party members ask him.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 10:08 AM
Avoid him becoming close to any of the Witches' adoptive "daughters."

Because if we're going by 5e hags here, those daughters are actually babies that have been eaten by the hag and regurgitated and will become hags themselves when they come of age.

Dang 5e fluff, why you so creepy...

Hahaha that would be hilarious though. I swore undying love as a near infant? Waiting for her to be regurgitated. No, I won't do that. Ha. I didn't plan on there being any one young besides myself in the coven.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 10:10 AM
Or, add that to the backstory! That shall be the reason why he's afraid of starting romantic relationships! If you like your sorc that way. Stuff like romance shouldn't show up too often in campaigns. Chances are the only time you get to actually RP this out, is when a girl flirts with him, he gets a little scared, makes his way out, and describes the hag thing when the other party members ask him.

Lol that's awesome

goto124
2015-01-31, 10:14 AM
More for curiousity than anything else: does the witches coven have males other than your character, or is it mostly females?

Also, look at this thread for RP help:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?395600-Starting-to-notice-a-problem

I wish I could help with the mechanical stuff...

And try not to double post please. To respond to more than 1 person,, do it in the same post, and mention the name of the person you're replying to. For example:

@Rallicus

Hahaha that would be hilarious though. I swore undying love as a near infant? Waiting for her to be regurgitated. No, I won't do that. Ha. I didn't plan on there being any one young besides myself in the coven.

@goto124

Lol that's awesome

You can edit your own posts, too.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 10:20 AM
More for curiousity than anything else: does the witches coven have males other than your character, or is it mostly females?

Also, look at this thread for RP help:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?395600-Starting-to-notice-a-problem

I wish I could help with the mechanical stuff...

And try not to double post please. To respond to more than 1 person,, do it in the same post, and mention the name of the person you're replying to. For example:

You can edit your own posts, too.

Exclusively female except myself. They plotted my capture and have been training me for a specific purpose I am unaware of.

asorel
2015-01-31, 11:28 AM
As far as optimization goes, I would suggest dropping True Strike. Witch bolt is awesome at lower levels, and fits your backstory, but scales terribly. I would advise dropping it around level 3 or so.

Refluffed Criminal sounds good for background, though I could see refluffed Acolyte or Hermit working as well.

Daishain
2015-01-31, 11:41 AM
Did you roll for those stats? Or using alternative rules? Because those numbers are impossible with the standard point buy.

SliceandDiceKid
2015-01-31, 12:38 PM
Did you roll for those stats? Or using alternative rules? Because those numbers are impossible with the standard point buy.

I rolled them. Thought that was apparent, and an irrelevant detail.

I misread witch bolt. Thanks for pointing that out. Just scales initial damage.