PDA

View Full Version : Crystal of Mercy [Augmentation Crystal]

Angafirith
2007-04-04, 07:42 PM
I really liked the idea of augment crystals, so I was a bit disappointed when I found there were so few in the Magic Item Compendium. They were a large part of why I bought it.

I decided to try making a few of my own, starting with a way to convert lethal damage to non-lethal. Unfortunately, the book doesn't give any ideas on how to create a balanced crystal. Basically, I just jumped in and tried my best.

Crystal of Mercy
Price: 300 gp (least), 1000 gp (lesser), 4000 gp (greater)
Body Slot: -- (weapon crystal)
Caster Level: 5

This crystal emits a soft white glow that fills your heart with mercy.

A Crystal of Mercy gives a weapon the ability to deal non-lethal damage.

Least: All damage the weapon does is non-lethal and the effect can not be suppressed as long as the crystal is attached to the weapon.
Lesser: As least, except that the effect can be suppressed freely.
Greater: As lesser, and when under some effect that causes all weapon damage to be converted to non-lethal, the weapon deals 1d6 extra non-lethal damage. This bonus damage stacks with any from another source (such as the merciful effect)

Prerequisites:Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Cure Light Wounds
Cost to create: 150 gp, 12 xp, 1 day (least); 500 gp, 40 xp, 1 day (lesser); 2000 gp, 160 xp, 4 days (greater).

Angafirith
2007-04-04, 09:34 PM
Huh. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it balanced?

Starsinger
2007-04-04, 10:28 PM
I like it, not sure about balanced or not, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially the least, since that means the weapon is ineffective against undead, constructs, etc.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-05, 08:08 PM
Before I comment, the wording on the greater confuses me. Also, can someone enlighten me on removing the crystals? I think 700 is too much if all you have to to is pop it out for the same benefit. I like it, but I have no idea if it's actually priced right, etc. (I say that too much. Maybe I should stay off the homebrew forum.)

Angafirith
2007-04-05, 08:18 PM
Attaching or removing an augment crystal takes a move action. The benefit of the Lesser crystal is that you could still do a full attack or whatever on the same turn you decide to switch.

The greater crystal essentially works like the Merciful effect, except that it can stack with the Merciful effect. I forgot to add "As lesser" to it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that any feedback whatsoever is helpful to me in these cases. I don't know what I'm doing and there seems to be no precedent for this sort of thing.