Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate fingers, distraction, paralysis
Special Qualities: Blindsense 30 ft., swarm traits, undead traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 20, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, hand (2-4 swamrs), or fist (5-8 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: –
Level Adjustment: –

Fingerling Swarms are the creations of mad necromancers, made up from hundreds of animated, severed fingers. A fingerling swarm is a writhing mass of undead fingers, rotted and decaying, all moving in unison. While relatively weak compared to other undead, many mages favor them for their almost unlimited ability to grow by consuming the fingers of those they kill.

Animate Fingers (Su)
As a full-round action, a Fingerling Swarm may rip the fingers from any dead creature in its space and animate them, adding them to itself and permanently increasing its total hp by one.

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a Fingerling Swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Paralysis (Ex)
Those damaged by a Fingerling Swarm’s swarm attack must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Elves have immunity to this paralysis. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Creating a Fingerling Swarm
A Fingerling Swarm can be created by a spellcaster capable of casting Create Undead with a caster level of 12th or higher. Rather than casting the spell on a single corpse, the caster must first sever and collect the fingers of 150 creatures of small or medium size. He must then build a mound from these and cast the spell on it.

Icewalker
2007-04-04, 10:11 PM
ew! awesome!

I like it. Fingers. I especially like that they can take the fingers of those they kill and add to the swarm. heh.

PhantomBread
2007-04-04, 10:18 PM
...dude, genius. Creative, and fits in with the other fun stuff from Liber Mortis, too.

Artemician
2007-04-05, 04:08 AM
Neat.

You might want to say whether animate fingers provokes Attacks of Oppurtunity though.

Still neat. I am SO sending it against my players someday.

Fizban
2007-04-05, 04:15 AM
Do swarms even provoke AoOs?
Anyway, I'm assuming you've seen the crawling claw swarm, bunch of severed hands working like this? I like yours better.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-05, 08:39 AM
Hee hee, 'poke'.

Anyways; me and my shoulder slaad both agree: the fingerling swarm delivers. New types of undead are always welcome.

Neko
2007-04-05, 08:54 AM
Very cool. You're stuff is so twisted and wrong that I love it. Seems they need a poke move of some kind though...

Matthew
2007-04-06, 06:22 PM
Nice work, but what is the fluff prompting the Paralysis Ability?

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 06:24 PM
It is skilled with it's fingers, and pokes you in areas that will paralyze? That'd be my guess.

The Demented One
2007-04-07, 10:44 AM
Nice work, but what is the fluff prompting the Paralysis Ability?
It works like a ghoul's paralysis does.

Maerok
2007-04-07, 10:59 AM
I'd use this on a daily basis. :D

DragonTounge
2007-07-19, 07:17 PM
Organization: Solitary, hand (2-4 swamrs), or fist (5-8 swarms)

You spelled swarms wrong in the "hand (2-4 swarms)" part of organization.

Cool monster!

Korias
2007-07-19, 07:34 PM
Since a Thumb isnt a finger, are thumbs exempt from being converted into fingerling swarm material?