PDA

View Full Version : Divinity Original Sin

Avilan the Grey
2015-02-01, 04:09 PM
...SO, this looks awesome. the little I have toyed with it makes me impressed.

HOWEVER... WTF should I play as? It seems to be a combination of too much custimization options and "nothing that is cool in concept is actually viable to play as". Meaning all the cool combinations you can make are pretty worthless since almost no skills or powers synergize well (I want to be a burglar who can teleport!" "Well sorry, but that means you don't have enough skill points for both sneak and luck") etc.

factotum
2015-02-01, 04:33 PM
You have two characters, and there are NPCs you can pick up very early on as well (won't spoil where and how you get those, though), so you can split the abilities between them. I had one person who was the ID mule (maxed Loremaster skill), for instance. My character selection was Cleric and Ranger, incidentally--I like to be able to deal damage at range, and I wanted a healer--but bear in mind that any class can learn any skill; the actual class you pick just determines a couple of starting skills, and it turns out that an NPC I picked up in Cyseal became a far more effective healer than my Cleric as the game progressed.

Short version--pick whatever you think will be fun, and if you find you're missing a skill you want, just pile it onto one of your existing characters!

Avilan the Grey
2015-02-01, 05:16 PM
Oh I know this already, what I am saying is that for a game that is completely free, from a customization point of view, it sure lacks in skill points. It is very easy to come up with characters you would love to play as, only to figure out quickly that there is no way it will work out well, since you won't have points for the skill combinations that would make the character fun.

For example a Rogue / Urban Druid... I would love to be a "cat" burglar that could communicate with the rats in the city and maybe summon a spider.
Not to mention the usual dilemma of "charm is really good, but if you take it you won't be able to do X".

I have had the game on and on the character creation screen for 6 hours, just going back and forth trying to come up with a fun build that actually seems viable.

factotum
2015-02-02, 03:51 AM
Well, skills max out at level 5, so it takes fewer skill points than you might think to max them out (15 total). Also, you get more than 1 skill point per level at higher levels--I think from memory it's 2 points per level from levels 6-10, and 3 points per level above that; so you should be able to max out a couple of skills at the very least. It's also possible to get items that boost your skill level, and since extra points in magic skills mainly grant you the ability to learn more spells from that school, you don't need to max those out if all you want to do is, say, summon a spider to aid you in battle. (My Ranger had a couple of points in Geomancy just so he could do that--he had no other magic skills at all).

The bigger problem is stats. They boost all aspects of whatever skills they're connected to, so if you're trying to spread yourself over several skills, the fact you can't increase all the associated stats will hurt your character more than not having an extra point in the skills themselves will. My Cleric suffered from this--she ended up not being great at healing and not being great at melee, which were the two things I wanted her to be doing! I still completed the game just fine even with a suboptimal party, though.

Starwulf
2015-02-02, 04:35 AM
Is the game still Steam only? If so, are there any plans on it being released on disc anytime soon? Game looks amazing, but with it being on Steam I'm entirely unable to play it ><

factotum
2015-02-02, 07:07 AM
Is the game still Steam only? If so, are there any plans on it being released on disc anytime soon? Game looks amazing, but with it being on Steam I'm entirely unable to play it ><

I don't think it ever was Steam only? It's certainly available DRM-free on GOG.com.

Starwulf
2015-02-02, 07:29 AM
I don't think it ever was Steam only? It's certainly available DRM-free on GOG.com.

Unfortunately GOG is out for the same reason as Steam, ie: 5gb data cap.

warty goblin
2015-02-02, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately GOG is out for the same reason as Steam, ie: 5gb data cap.

If you've got access to uncapped internet anywhere, you can just download/transfer GoG installers to a flash drive, then install away on your home computer.

factotum
2015-02-02, 11:45 AM
Yes, I agree with warty goblin--if there's somewhere in town you could download the installer and transfer it to a USB flash drive, you're golden; GOG installers don't require any sort of Internet connection to function. I think it very unlikely they'll ever release a disc version of the game because doing so would be very expensive and they probably wouldn't sell many extra copies.

Calemyr
2015-02-02, 11:46 AM
I know I saw it at the local Walmart a couple days ago, but I have no idea whether it's actually on the disc or if it just sets you up on steam (the way Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim did).

Divayth Fyr
2015-02-02, 11:56 AM
The disk versions in Europe need to be activated on Steam - as far as I can tell there are no versions of the game that aren't connected with Steam/Gog since Larian doesn't seem to release "standalone" patches (which would be required for such a version).

Starwulf
2015-02-02, 07:46 PM
If you've got access to uncapped internet anywhere, you can just download/transfer GoG installers to a flash drive, then install away on your home computer.

Unfortunately I'm 8 miles from the nearest town, which sadly also has no free Wi-Fi hot-spots(we don't even have a McD). Closest place I could download anything would be my buddies place a solid 45 minutes away, and he works night shift, so getting on the same schedule to be able to do so is highly unlikely >< Not to mention hauling my computer that far would be a major PITA.

Ahh well, just another game that I'll never get to play due to no internet options :-(

The disk versions in Europe need to be activated on Steam - as far as I can tell there are no versions of the game that aren't connected with Steam/Gog since Larian doesn't seem to release "standalone" patches (which would be required for such a version).

If the entire game is on the disc, that's fine, I installed Skyrim and have never used steam since. I don't like having to go through steam to play a game, but I will if I absolutely have to. I just can't actually DOWNLOAD the entire game.

kaminiwa
2015-02-02, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately I'm 8 miles from the nearest town, which sadly also has no free Wi-Fi hot-spots(we don't even have a McD). Closest place I could download anything would be my buddies place a solid 45 minutes away, and he works night shift, so getting on the same schedule to be able to do so is highly unlikely >< Not to mention hauling my computer that far would be a major PITA.

Ahh well, just another game that I'll never get to play due to no internet options :-(

An 8 GB USB thumb drive is $10-$20, which saves you having to haul your computer at all. And they're small enough to be easily mailed, so your friend could download the game and just mail the drive back to you, if schedules are really that much of a conflict.

Starwulf
2015-02-02, 08:28 PM
An 8 GB USB thumb drive is $10-$20, which saves you having to haul your computer at all. And they're small enough to be easily mailed, so your friend could download the game and just mail the drive back to you, if schedules are really that much of a conflict.

While that's a great idea, when I buy a game, I usually ONLY have the money to buy a game. I'm not exactly swimming in cash due to being on disability(<15k a year), so spending $10-$20 extra just to play a game isn't really worth it to me. I'll just find another game to buy and be happy with that ^^ Still, thanks for the suggestion, if I ever get my hands on a USB stick in the future I'll probably end up using your idea, right down to mailing it to my buddy, that's actually quite ingenious :)

Flickerdart
2015-02-02, 09:35 PM
Is there any way to make the goddamn camera spin more than 90 degrees? It's impossible to see what I'm doing.

Cyber Punk
2015-02-11, 11:17 AM
Is there any way to make the goddamn camera spin more than 90 degrees? It's impossible to see what I'm doing.

In game settings, you have the option to make rotation free and unrestricted. It's not recommended (according to them), but I use it. The only problem so far is the visual artefacts it can cause.

Knaight
2015-02-11, 11:36 AM
While that's a great idea, when I buy a game, I usually ONLY have the money to buy a game. I'm not exactly swimming in cash due to being on disability(<15k a year), so spending $10-$20 extra just to play a game isn't really worth it to me. I'll just find another game to buy and be happy with that ^^ Still, thanks for the suggestion, if I ever get my hands on a USB stick in the future I'll probably end up using your idea, right down to mailing it to my buddy, that's actually quite ingenious :)

What about postage for an envelope? Specifically, I'm wondering if you can get the game on GOG or similar, have an internet friend buy it, and have them send you it copied over on a flash drive, then you send the flash drive back. Alternately, a disk could be used instead of a flash drive.

There are some security concerns here, but they can be avoided. Just don't have GOG remember anything financial, and use a separate password for it than everything else.

Leon
2015-02-11, 11:39 AM
In game settings, you have the option to make rotation free and unrestricted. It's not recommended (according to them), but I use it. The only problem so far is the visual artefacts it can cause.

Oh wow. Did not know that, totally going to change than on mine as it annoys the heck out of me with it being locked as it is.

On Flash Drives, its good to have a Sizable Flash drive anyway for all sorts of reasons other than gaming.

I started over several time before i settled on a Pair of Characters that i liked ~ Went for Battle Magi with some alteration in the starting skills (One is Str based and focused on Close range and melee support, the other Dex Based and Long range/heals) Inspired by the Twin Warlocks from Legion of Everblight.
Everyone can heal to some degree and have been focusing one of the companions on water skills to assist with that.

Cyber Punk
2015-02-14, 09:41 AM
I started over several time before i settled on a Pair of Characters that i liked ~ Went for Battle Magi with some alteration in the starting skills (One is Str based and focused on Close range and melee support, the other Dex Based and Long range/heals) Inspired by the Twin Warlocks from Legion of Everblight.
Everyone can heal to some degree and have been focusing one of the companions on water skills to assist with that.

I myself went for a long-ranged guy and a fire spellcaster/loremaster. In the course of gameplay, my firecaster girl (whom I named 'Fall-From-Grace' (from Planescape: Torment) became my thief, and my bow-and-arrow guy became the party crafter.

This (http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-divinity-original-sin-1601825219) could come in handy. Sure, you've already created your chars, but it contains some other useful tips.

We have Jahan, a water mage, and Madora, a fighter. You'd have to find out their locations for yourself! :smallwink:

In case you get tired of figuring out the recipes, there is a forum that has a compilation of ALL

Starwulf
2015-02-14, 10:48 PM
What about postage for an envelope? Specifically, I'm wondering if you can get the game on GOG or similar, have an internet friend buy it, and have them send you it copied over on a flash drive, then you send the flash drive back. Alternately, a disk could be used instead of a flash drive.

There are some security concerns here, but they can be avoided. Just don't have GOG remember anything financial, and use a separate password for it than everything else.

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, my graphics card died and I had to sell a few things to give my parents the cash so I could use their credit card for a new one and it just got here yesterday.

I think in this scenario I'd probably feel more comfortable just sending the person the money in cash instead of dealing with the whole "buy it on GoG, give them my acct information so they can d/l it and then send it to me" bit. Eliminates the worries of them possibly seeing sensitive financial information and taking advantage of it. Of course, that would assume I had someone on the internet I was close enough to that would bother, which I kinda don't. Lots of people I'm friendly with, but none that I know on a personal level.

Knaight
2015-02-15, 03:08 PM
I think in this scenario I'd probably feel more comfortable just sending the person the money in cash instead of dealing with the whole "buy it on GoG, give them my acct information so they can d/l it and then send it to me" bit. Eliminates the worries of them possibly seeing sensitive financial information and taking advantage of it. Of course, that would assume I had someone on the internet I was close enough to that would bother, which I kinda don't. Lots of people I'm friendly with, but none that I know on a personal level.

That would pretty much solve the issue right there, though that does leave you a bit out of luck regarding updates and such (granted, you'd need to go through a bunch of hassle anyways with those, so there's that).

Starwulf
2015-02-16, 12:16 AM
That would pretty much solve the issue right there, though that does leave you a bit out of luck regarding updates and such (granted, you'd need to go through a bunch of hassle anyways with those, so there's that).

Hmm, if I had the game, would I still need GoG to update it? I thought once you d/led something from GoG it was DRM-free(the entire point of GoG). Wouldn't that imply I could just hit the update button the game would likely have and update? (Asides from the fact that said updates could very well be quite large, I would hope I wouldn't be getting any 5gb updates for any game outside of a MMO that I haven't updated in a year or more).

Now, to find a volunteer ^^ LOL :)

factotum
2015-02-16, 04:05 AM
The way GoG updates work is that they either upload a new installer with the new version of the game in it, which would obviously be difficult for you to handle, or they provide a patch (remember those?) which tend to be much smaller and thus might be do-able for you. However, I doubt this would actually be much of an issue so long as you get games a few months after they're released, when hopefully the major patching has already been done.

(By the way, remember that things like manuals and maps are usually separate downloads at GoG, so you'd need to ask your friend to get those for you as well).

Knaight
2015-02-16, 01:06 PM
Hmm, if I had the game, would I still need GoG to update it? I thought once you d/led something from GoG it was DRM-free(the entire point of GoG). Wouldn't that imply I could just hit the update button the game would likely have and update? (Asides from the fact that said updates could very well be quite large, I would hope I wouldn't be getting any 5gb updates for any game outside of a MMO that I haven't updated in a year or more).

Now, to find a volunteer ^^ LOL :)

It's more that a lot of games have patches every so often which need downloading, though said patches do tend to be way smaller than the actual game. Occasionally it's less patching and more downloading a new version though.