PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] Loot, loot, loot, loot the massive treasure hoard...

Peregrine
2007-04-04, 11:56 PM
...and with one mighty blow of his axe, he cleaved the fallen dragon's head from its neck, ending the fell beast's life. The victorious warriors cheered. The bard impulsively embraced his companions. The healer began tending their dreadful wounds.

Then everyone looked at the dirty great treasure horde that the late dragon had unwittingly bequeathed to them.

"This is going to take forever to count," moaned the rogue.

"Never mind carrying it out of here," added the fighter. "The gold alone will weigh a ton, and we'll be leaving behind a fortune in silver and copper."

"Actually," the wizard said diffidently, "I have a few spells left..."

Assay Weight
Divination
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to 1,000 lb./level of objects or creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell resistance: Yes (harmless) or Yes (harmless, object)

This spell accurately gauges the weight of a number of items, typically a pile of items assayed together. Any items that exceed the weight limit of the spell are excluded from the spell, and the caster is aware of which items have not been weighed by the spell.

Material Component
A feather and a tiny lead weight.

Mage's Marvellous Handcart
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: 1 round
Effect: One magical handcart
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving throw: None
Spell resistance: No

This spell conjures a handcart, sized appropriately for any creature from Small to Large at the caster's discretion. The cart itself is weightless, but any items placed in it weigh their normal amount. The cart can hold up to 70 cu. ft. of contents, and never overflows or spills anything carried in it. It can be towed anywhere that the creature pulling it can move, including trundling up walls (under the effects of spider climb, for instance), squeezing through gaps, and gliding through the air (if the creature towing it can fly).

When the spell ends, the contents of the cart appear, unharmed, in the space just vacated by the cart. Gravity reasserts itself if the cart was in mid-air, and if the objects cannot fit into their new location, they overflow to fill as much space is necessary. If there is not enough space for all its contents to reappear, enough items to make up the difference disappear into extradimensional space.

Focus
A miniature carving of a cart wheel.

Transmute Copper to Gold
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: Up to 200 lb./level of copper, to a maximum of 2,000 lb.
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell causes any copper targeted by it to liquefy, heatlessly, and reform into lumps of gold weighing 1 lb. or less. The total mass of gold is one one-hundredth of the mass of copper targeted.

This spell does not affect any creature made of copper.

Material Component
Oil and sulphur.

Fizban
2007-04-05, 01:39 AM
The wording of Assay Weight could use some tightening, you mean it to weigh the totals of multiple groups, right?

I'd suggest looking up the Servant Horde spell in the Spell Compendium (and other sources). It has several versions, but they all produce a large number of unseen servants, great for speeding up the loading of the weighed and transmuted objects into the cart.

ajkkjjk52
2007-04-05, 01:40 AM
Transmute Copper to Gold
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: Up to 200 lb./level of copper, to a maximum of 2,000 lb.
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell causes any copper targeted by it to liquefy, heatlessly, and reform into lumps of gold weighing 1 lb. or less. The total mass of gold is one one-hundredth of the mass of copper targeted.

This spell does not affect any creature made of copper.

Material Component
Oil and sulphur.

No. Just No. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 02:06 AM

what?
What's the issue here? You don't get any extra money out of it. It just allows you to carry it out more easily.

100 cp = 1 gp

1 lb. of cp = 1/100 of an lb. of gp.

Transmute copper to gold = totally balanced.

I really like these, very handy, and forces people to take into account one of the things many groups avoid. "we emptied the dungeon. we got treasure and items and stuff. now we get to buy things back at town"

Fizban
2007-04-05, 04:22 AM
Heh, the looting that is normally glossed over is only noticed when spells to make it feasible appear.

Peregrine
2007-04-05, 11:58 AM
The wording of Assay Weight could use some tightening, you mean it to weigh the totals of multiple groups, right?

No, just one total: it gives you one figure per casting for the total weight of all objects you target. You're probably right, I should rephrase it a little.

I'd suggest looking up the Servant Horde spell in the Spell Compendium (and other sources). It has several versions, but they all produce a large number of unseen servants, great for speeding up the loading of the weighed and transmuted objects into the cart.

*blocks ears* La la la, if it's not Open Game Content it doesn't exist... :smalltongue: Or at least, if it's not OGC, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist because I can't tinker with it for my homebrew stuff (or at least, I can't tinker and then post it for others to use, without both them and me being expected to fork out money).

Might I ask why not? As Icewalker points out, it doesn't increase the cash value of the metal at all, but I'm not sure whether that was your concern, or whether you just have some other issue with it.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-05, 01:13 PM
...And thus, with one spell, the pursuit of alchemy is suddenly ended. Gunpowder is never discovered, and technology as a whole slows to a crawl.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-05, 01:16 PM
...And thus, with one spell, the pursuit of alchemy is suddenly ended. Gunpowder is never discovered, and technology as a whole slows to a crawl.
...It's a game with friggin' magic.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-05, 02:27 PM
Nono, Gnomes still invent gunpowder purely by accident, or Dwarves invent it to give their Ale mroe of a kick!

Also, I'd suggest altering the "Copper to gold" spell to just "Transmute to gold"- And have it affect the silver too. (With the resulting gold being 1-10th the amount of silver there was before.)

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 02:36 PM
Transmute lesser metal to gold? That's the only name for it I could think of. Doesn't sound too cool.

You could make em seperate spells.

alchemy.freak
2007-04-05, 04:59 PM
hooray for lootings

the only thing i don't see as being useful is the hand cart. Tensers floating disk is simpler

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-05, 07:00 PM
Hey, I like it! We normally assume the fighter can carry it all, and leave the "mahogany table with teak and silver inlays" behind. I like the "Transmute Copper to Gold" spell. I have an urge to make a dungeon supported by copper columns which are targeted by a trap (or dying boss) with this spell. And in response to Tenser's Disk, I never liked the spell personally. The mechanics aren't bad, the fluff in a peice of cow. This one's much more flavorful.

Peregrine
2007-04-05, 11:13 PM
the only thing i don't see as being useful is the hand cart. Tensers floating disk is simpler

Hey, floating disk is actually quite a bit lower-level than I thought... 1st level. Huh. I probably should have looked at it when designing this spell. As it happens though, I think I still pegged it okay. The handcart can move as fast as you can, anywhere you can; the disk has to stay three feet above a surface and moves at your speed. Plus the disk follows you, whereas you can give handcarts to all your party members for the long hauls.

And as for transmuting other metals -- yeah, a transmute silver to gold spell is an obvious next step, and possibly just an enhancement to the same spell (but I prefer making them separate, just 'cause). I put in just the copper one because it amused me more. :smallsmile:

But I don't like the idea of transmuting 'base' metals to gold, for a few flavour reasons... the valuable metals are unable to be created by most spells, because (at least to my mind) in a magical model of matter, valuable metals have some ineffable magic quality that the base metals don't. Copper to gold, yes... lead to gold, no. And so we also have a reason for alchemy (of the traditional sort) to still exist.

The reverse spells, gold to copper and whatnot, would also seem obvious add-ons, but I won't make them. The sudden increase in mass just screams 'unforeseen consequences' when you hand the spells to the PCs. :smalltongue: I would let a break enchantment undo an initial transmutation from copper, though.

Fizban
2007-04-05, 11:21 PM
Well, then here's what you do: the spell doesn't transmute the gold, it actually sends it to a bank in hell where the more-lawful-than-evil bankers store it indefinitely. They use the residual energy of the spell to send you an equivalent amount of gold or other currency, possibly minus a small percentage.

So, change it to Conjuration [Teleportation], and let the spell exchange any sort of base metal coin/bar/mass into coins or bars of another, specified by the caster, and charge 5 or 10% of what you send out.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-05, 11:26 PM
hooray for lootings

Did you happen to notice the 70 cu. ft. of volume that the wheelcart can carry? Much more cargo capacity than the floating disk. Plus no chance of spillage.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-06, 01:40 AM
That, and Tenser's Floating Disk can't carry as much weight. And can't move more than 3 feet above a surface... (Whereas the cart can fly or move up or down a wall and whatnot.)

Reinboom
2007-04-06, 01:53 AM
(but I prefer making them separate, just 'cause).

The deep seeded sorcerer in me just cried out in pain.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-06, 05:01 PM
The reverse spells, gold to copper and whatnot, would also seem obvious add-ons, but I won't make them. The sudden increase in mass just screams 'unforeseen consequences' when you hand the spells to the PCs.

"Hmmm... Nice Golden Throne you've got there, Emperor..."
-Emperor proceeds to get squished under a large amount of copper-

Peregrine
2007-04-06, 10:31 PM
The deep seeded sorcerer in me just cried out in pain.

Yeah, I know. But it works better for me, both thematically and because the name sounds better as-is. And it's not the only spell (group) that pretty much excludes-- hey... there's an idea for sorcerers... give them a list of more generic spells, instead of the exact same (long-winded, often only slightly distinct) spells the wizard gets. It's a big project, but it could be interesting...

Zeal
2007-04-06, 10:45 PM
For Transmute Copper to Gold, you could always go the route of Blindness/Deafness or Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, that is, something along the lines of Transmute Copper/Silver to Gold.

Peregrine
2007-04-06, 11:28 PM
For Transmute Copper to Gold, you could always go the route of Blindness/Deafness or Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, that is, something along the lines of Transmute Copper/Silver to Gold.

I like that. :smallsmile: Consider it done (...when I get around to revising the post at the top...)

paigeoliver
2007-04-07, 12:26 PM
Summon Otherplanar Banker

Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 minute
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Casting Summon Infernal Banker will conjure the image of a Celestial or Infernal banker (caster's choice), with which the character can conduct banking transactions.

The banker appears with a chair and small desk, equipped with paper, pen, and scales. The banker itself is merely an image with a small physical presence, if attacked it vanishes, taking it's equipment with it.

Celestial bankers offer two services, currency exchange and currency deposit. The caster may exchange any amount of coin, trade bars, or gems for any other type of coin, trade bars or gems. The Celestial Banker charges a 10 percent fee for this transaction. The caster may also choose to place any amount of coins, trade bars or gems on deposit with the Celestial Banker. Said deposits are 100 percent safe and may be retrieved by casting the spell and summoning the Celestial Banker a second time.

Celestial bankers will not deal with stolen valuables, and have a sense motive of +20 to detect them.

Infernal Bankers offer currency exchange, currency deposit, and are also willing to purchase items other than currency with no questions asked.

The caster may exchange any amount of coin, trade bars, or gems for any other type of coin, trade bars or gems. The Infernal Banker charges a 1d20 percent fee for the transaction. The caster may also choose to place any amount of coins, trade bars or gems on deposit with the Infernal Banker. Said deposits earn a 5 percent annual return and may be retrieved by casting the spell and summoning the Infernal Banker a second time. There is a 5 percent chance that any particular deposit will never quite make it into the Infernal banks and will be permanently lost.

Infernal bankers will purchase any other types of valuables at 40+1d20 percent of retail price. The Infernal Banker is even willing to purchase real estate, but cannot purchase living creatures. If the campaign has a mechanic for the buying and selling of souls then the Infernal Banker can conduct these transactions, buying souls for full price and selling them for twice the buying price.

Once all negotiations are finished the banker will draw up a contract, have the character sign it, and then the transaction will take place, with all the traded goods vanishing, and the new valuables piled neatly on the floor with a copy of the contract. If the transactions included an Infernal deposit that failed then there will be no copy of the contract at all.

Legoman
2007-04-07, 01:34 PM
Summon Otherplanar banker = brilliant.

Now, in item form!:

Coinpurse of Otherworldly Banking: 5400gp.

This normal-sized coinpurse is made of either red leather or white silk, and interwoven with silver and gold thread. Once per day, the bearer may pull the draw-string and whisper a command word (Which also serves as their PIN), summoning their personal otherworldly banker. The type of banker, either Infernal or Celestial, is set at item creation. The bearer gets the same banker every time - unless, of course, there is a celestial or abyssal war that requires their attention, in which case, they'll probably get the new guy.