PDA

View Full Version : Adventuring Below the Ground

Attilargh
2007-04-05, 12:57 PM
I recently got Arx Fatalis and that got me thinking: Is there a campaign setting that focuses mainly on underground adventuring? (For those who do not know, Arx Fatalis is set on a world where people have fled underground because their sun grew cold. I haven't gotten very far yet. I hate giant spiders in dark caverns.)

As I've understood it, the Underdark is mainly designed as an exotic deathtrap for high-level characters whose players would like a rather radical change of scenery for a while, before again rising to the sunshine to spend their Phat Lewt +8. This isn't quite what I'm after, as in the end, the Underdark seems just an immense dungeon. I'm interested in a world, not just a place to kick drow butt in.

(Now, I'm not very familiar with the Underdark. The above is just the impression I've got from reading the books of Salvatore and Cunningham. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.)

So, what books should I look into for an underground campaign setting, or should I just pick up a pen and some paper and start designing my own corner of the world below?

Draz74
2007-04-05, 01:37 PM
Campaign setting, I don't think so. But check out Dungeonscape!

JellyPooga
2007-04-05, 01:51 PM
just pick up a pen and some paper and start designing my own corner of the world below?

Your own words are your answer...

(you probably won't be satisfied with anything else anyways :smallwink: )

Lolzords
2007-04-05, 03:51 PM
Underground campaign setting sounds like a very good idea, mind if I steal it?

Off topic - I had a demo of Arx Fatalis and played about 15 mins of gameplay of it but didn't see much. Anyway, is it any good?

daggaz
2007-04-05, 04:20 PM
Underground campaign settings kick butt! And no, the underdark doesn't have to be as deadly as so many books make it out to be, its just, it always has the potential to be...

Lolth
2007-04-05, 05:50 PM
For what it's worth, our online chat game is set in the Underdark (home-brew version) and PCs start ECL3. So it's surely not a death trap, nor a quick visit.

I think it's very viable, obviously.

Attilargh
2007-04-06, 06:27 AM
Oh, okay. Guess I'll have to take a more thorough look at it. It's just a bit off-putting that the first hundred pages of the book discuss all things crunchy instead of focusing on what the Underdark is all about. And I really dislike the names. I mean, Dupapn? Gracklstugh?! LoobliShar?! And why is nearly everyone evil, anyway?

But check out Dungeonscape!
Already have. Very nice book, but the scale's a bit too small. However, lots of good stuff to expand on.

Your own words are your answer...

(you probably won't be satisfied with anything else anyways :smallwink: )
Heh, you're kinda right, and I do have some ideas. However, I have a nasty tendency to not finish what I start. (Heck, I have three campaign settings in the works on my computer, and you should see my unfinished stories.)

Besides, I really like reading how other people have approached things that interest me.

Underground campaign setting sounds like a very good idea, mind if I steal it?
Of course not. But think twice before having the Good spellcaster-king of a nation have an Evil martial adept brother who is not out to usurp power, mmkay?

Off topic - I had a demo of Arx Fatalis and played about 15 mins of gameplay of it but didn't see much. Anyway, is it any good?
I'm not very far myself, but it's very promising. Good reviews, too. The world has lots of character thanks to the small details like toilets and bottles that do not disappear once their contents are gone.

AmoDman
2007-04-06, 10:06 AM
Oh, okay. Guess I'll have to take a more thorough look at it. It's just a bit off-putting that the first hundred pages of the book discuss all things crunchy instead of focusing on what the Underdark is all about. And I really dislike the names. I mean, Dupapn? Gracklstugh?! LoobliShar?! And why is nearly everyone evil, anyway?

Svirfneblin!

Edo
2007-04-06, 11:55 AM
Oh, okay. Guess I'll have to take a more thorough look at it. It's just a bit off-putting that the first hundred pages of the book discuss all things crunchy instead of focusing on what the Underdark is all about. And I really dislike the names. I mean, Dupapn? Gracklstugh?! LoobliShar?!In fairness, "Dupapn" doesn't represent the aboleths well.

I mean, come on, they're a species with multiple mouths. Ever tried transcribing a word that takes more than one mouth to pronounce it right? I've done it before; it turns into a runaway chemistry equation.

Indon
2007-04-06, 12:03 PM
And why is nearly everyone evil, anyway?

Because obviously, caverns are evil.

My solution for the problem would be to take the maps, etc. of a normal campaign world and cavern-ize them; the overworld becomes the upper cavern level, with more arching, higher ceilings, and many dungeons or cities end up being described as more natural formations. Toss in some additional paths from one cavern complex to another, and you have yourself the beginnings of an underground campaign world.

norister
2007-04-06, 12:06 PM
Try Dungeon World by Fast Forward Entertainment. There are three hard cover books out last i checked, i have them all and think i would be entertaining setting to run a campaign in. Since i live in Wyoming and there zero groups here to play with i havent been able to run a campaign using them so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That said it looks interesting enough that i may make a NWN2 module.

monotone
2007-04-06, 12:49 PM
I am currently running an entirely below ground campaign. It is a wonderful change of pace. My players have been concerned with things that have never crossed their minds before. The amount of food you are carrying matters again, as there is no assurance that the route to where you are going is passable (or the route back for that matter). The lack of the day/night cycle means every moment is as dangerous as the next (and makes life much harder on clerics; a wonderful side effect). Translocation as a means of travel is less safe, because accidentally teleporting into a wall sucks.
Finally, it makes communities isolated and trade more rare. I keep track of what is available where so PC's cannot always buy what they want when they want. They have less access to magic items and spells in general unless they are in specific cities. The logistics of transporting loot also causes them no end of frustration, they always curse the fact that they can't bring their bag of holding into the rope trick. I also, for this campaign only, enforce spell components because what was once easy to obtain above ground can be damn hard to find below ground.
Out group is currently ~10th level and we have found that combat focused type characters have pulled their weight more than they have in previous games and spellcasters are more in balance with the rest of the party. Give the underdark a try, I recommend it.

Attilargh
2007-04-06, 02:01 PM
Wow, that's rather inspiring. But wouldn't the harshness of underground life actually encourage trading, as achieving self-sufficiency could be rather difficult? Of course, the often changing geography makes trading quite difficult, and there are dangers in the dark places of the world, so the limited trading has its reasons.

If I ever get my lazy backside in check, I'll just have to write or DM some underground stuff.

Pronounceable
2007-04-06, 02:24 PM
(Fanboyish) There's a whole series of CRPGs out there (two actually, one remake of the other) that takes place in an underground setting: Exile (original) and Avernum.

Check the series here, free demos to download:

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

The setting is very good. Just play the beginning of the first game for a little while. You'll get many ideas.

Black Hand
2007-04-06, 03:08 PM
There's an old book out there you'd find very handy then. It's Drizzt Do'Urdens Guide to the underdark. It's from second edtion, but it's about 95% flavor and description and there isn't much of the 2E game mechanics in there.