PDA

View Full Version : Humans descended from Giants and Genies (PEACH)

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-06, 08:35 AM
Recently, I had an idea for a world where humans do not resemble any real-life ethnicity or culture. This was to avoid the whole not!spain, not!africa, not!japan stuff you see in many fantasy worlds, and also avoids the problem of representing real races in a game world. I also wanted to avoid players choosing humans for the bonus feat.

I wanted humans to be colorful (literally) and different, but not alien. I was thinking there would be humans with green, blue, purple, red, and literal black skin, but I couldn't come up with a reason for why they would have developed that way, until I thought of giants. Humans descended from storm giants could have greenish skin and hair, and it would make sense without having to be explained (though why storm giants are green is beyond me). Later, I thought about having other humans descended from genies.

However, I didn't want my elves/dwarves/gnomes/etc to look different, so I had the idea that all the races in this world came to it through portals many ages ago. The elves stuck to the forests, the dwarves to the mountains, and so on, except for the humans, who were out in the open with no real defense, so they clung to whichever race of giants lived nearby, forming a symbiotic relationship with them. Over time, with the aid of magic, these humans and giants interbred, to the point where every human now has about the same amount of giant blood, and there are no humans left that have none. In some areas, humans instead interbred with genies (who are native to this world, since the elemental planes do not exist in my cosmology).

You can instead just add these traits to certain groups of humans in your campaign worlds; the above was just my reason for coming up with all this.

Anyway, here are their various racial traits:

Giants: Humans descended from giants speak giant, in addition to common. They gain bonus skill points as normal, but do not gain bonus feats.

Cloud: White or light blue skin, silvery white or brass hair.
-Falling Resistance 5 (ignore the first 5 points of falling damage taken)
-Weak Scent (5ft), allows tracking via scent, though at a -4 penalty.
-When using two-handed weapons, they deal damage as if their strength score was 2 points higher.
-Gain a +1 bonus to Charisma

Fire: Black skin, red or orange hair.
-Fire Resistance 5, -1 saves/-2 checks vs cold
-Sturdy: +2 vs. bull rush, overrun, & trip
-Gain +2 racial bonus to Intimidate
-Gain +1 bonus to Constitution

Frost: White skin, light blue or blonde hair.
-Cold Resistance 5, -1 saves/-2 checks vs fire or heat
-Long Limbed: +2 with Disarm attempts & Grapple checks.
-Gain +2 racial bonus to Intimidate
-Gain +1 bonus to Constitution

Stone: Grey skin, bald.
-Gain +1 natural armor bonus (stacks with other sources)
-Gain +1 racial bonus with thrown weapons
-Gain +4 bonus to Hide in rocky or stone terrain
-Gain a +2 racial bonus to Climb checks
-Is proficient with thrown rocks (1d3, x2, 10ft, B) (DM's; don't get picky about how big or what kind)

Storm: Light green skin, dark green hair.
-Electricity Resistance 5
-Ignore armor check penalties to swim, gain +2 racial bonus to Swim
-Hold Breath (x4 Con)
-Gain +1 bonus to Strength

Genies: Humans descended from genies speak whichever elemental language their ancestors spoke, in addition to common. They gain bonus skill points as nomal, but do not gain bonus feats. They have a +2 racial bonus to Sense Motive, and gain +1 CL with illusion spells.

Djinn: Blue skin, regular hair.
-Electricity Resistance 5
-Gain +2 racial bonus to Jump & Tumble
-Gain +1 CL with air spells

Efreeti: Red skin, regular hair.
-Fire Resistance 5, -1 saves/-2 checks vs cold
-Gain +2 racial bonus to spellcraft, escape artist, & grapple checks.
-Gain +1 CL with fire spells

Marid: Teal skin, regular hair.
-Ignore Slippery Conditions: A marid ignores any penalties to movement, skill checks, and grapple checks imposed by slippery conditions. If the slipperiness is from a magic effect, they gain a +2 on saves against it.
-Gain a +2 racial bonus to Swim
-Hold Breath (x4 Con)
-Gain +1 CL with water spells

Shaitan: Purple skin, regular hair.
-Acid Resistance 5
-Gain a +2 racial bonus to Climb
-Stonecunning (as dwarves)
-Gain +1 CL with earth spells
-Darkvision (as dwarves)

--------

Thoughts?

Zireael
2015-02-06, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure how that weak scent would work. Rules-wise, critters which can track by scent will notice you just fine if you're a regular human...

Other than that, brilliant!

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-06, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure how that weak scent would work. Rules-wise, critters which can track by scent will notice you just fine if you're a regular human...

Other than that, brilliant!

Thanks!

Weak Scent is the same as the "hunter's sense" stance for martial adepts, except for the penalty when tracking. Nevermind, I'm retarded. I thought hunter's sense only went out to 5ft.

Okay, it's the same as the Scent ability, except it only works out to 5ft, rather than the typical 30ft.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-09, 08:28 AM
Eldritch Blade
A super-speedy guerilla gish who's in close with the elves

Hit Die: d6
Starting Gold: 5d4x10gp
Skill Points: 6/level
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Any), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Spells: as wizard, caster level = base attack bonus (minimum 1).
Proficiencies: Scout weapon/armor proficiencies.

Level
Bab
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Trapfinding, Skirmish +1d6
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge, Track
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3
Fast Movement +10ft, Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Trackless Step
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Summon Familiar
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Evasion, Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC, Bonus Feat
-
-
-
-
-

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
Flawless Stride
-
-
-
-
-

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5
Word of Friendship, Gift of the Elves, Elven Weapon Proficiency
-
-
-
-
-

8th
+6/+1
+2
+6
+6
Low-light Vision, Elfwise, Bonus Feat
-
-
-
-

9th
+6/+1
+3
+6
+6
Star Blessing, Arvandor's Grace
-
-
-
-

10th
+7/+2
+3
+7
+7
Skirmish +3d6/+1 AC
-
-
-
-

11th
+8/+3
+3
+7
+7
Advanced Learning, Silent Spell
-
-
-

12th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+8
Swift Surge +1
-
-
-

13th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+8
Blurred Alacrity
-
-
-

14th
+10/+5
+4
+9
+9
Sudden Casting, Spring Attack, Skirmish +4d6/+1 AC
-
-

15th
+11/+6/+1
+5
+9
+9
Arcane Reflexes, Fast Movement +20ft
-
-

16th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10
Evasive Celerity
-
-

17th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10
Fortified Hustle, Bounding Assault
-

18th
+13/+8/+3
+6
+11
+11
Swift Surge +2
-

19th
+14/+9/+4
+6
+11
+11
Diligent Rapidity
-

20th
+15/+10/+5
+6
+12
+12
Perpetual Options

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-02-09, 12:21 PM
I'm assuming these work as subraces for the original Human detailed in the PHB, a la 5e. (Btw, which PHB? What edition is this? I think conceptually, 5e would work best for this, but that's just me.)

Wouldn't it make more sense to create a Half-Giant and a Half-Genie race (as much as I loathe those half-races, here, I think it works) and then have these be subraces of them?