PDA

View Full Version : Repelling Crystal [Augmentation Crystal]

Angafirith
2007-04-05, 09:22 PM
Basically, the first two were attempts to take already existing magic weapon properties and apply them to crystals. This is an attempt to put a cool idea that has no such property into a crystal. That's why I'm especially concerned about the balance here. Depending on the sort of feedback I get, I may even scrap the idea entirely.

It does occur to me that it would tip the scales in an Archer vs Melee fight, which is why I didn't give it a least or greater effect and tried to push up the cost a bit. I was thinking about giving it to melee weapons as well. I also gave it a reflex save, so that you essentially have two chances to avoid it: avoiding the attack and succeeding on your reflex save.

Previous Augment Crystals of mine:
Darkside Crystal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39691)
Crystal of Mercy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39593)

Repeling Crystal
Price: 2000 gp (Lesser)
Body Slot: -- (shield crystal)
Caster Level: 5

This crystal emits a dull glow. Upon touching it, it feels almost rubbery to the touch.

A Repeling Crystal gives a ranged weapon the ability to push foes back on a successful hit.

There is no least or greater crystal of this variety.

Lesser: Upon a successful ranged attack, the target may be pushed back one square/hex. Roll 1d20+Damage dealt by the attack opposed by a strength check by the opponent. Add the opponent's AC penalty to the roll, as heavier armor mitigates this effect. For example, if the target wears a chain shirt (AC penalty of 2), add 2 to their strength check.
Prerequisites:Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull's strength
Cost to create: 1000 gp, 80 xp, 2 days

Legoman
2007-04-06, 12:34 PM
Instead of a reflex save, this would be better served as a bull rush attempt, with the bow making it's strength check at 10+Damage Dealt.

Make the Least cost the 2000, the lesser 5000, and greater 10k.

The opposed strength for the Least is 5 + Damage Dealt, then 10 + DD, then 15.

Cool concept though - and (even) more incentive to use a mighty composite bow if you go with the Bull rush idea.

Angafirith
2007-04-06, 04:08 PM
I changed it to opposed checks, but not a bull rush. I dunno, a ranged bull rush seems rather powerful to me.

Angafirith
2007-04-10, 10:27 PM
After a few days of thinking about it, I'm considering allowing it to work on melee weapons. Any ideas on how this would impact balance?