PDA

View Full Version : The Homebrew Design Request Thread

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 10:12 AM
I'm currently working on three major homebrew projects--my setting, a new magic system, and a book--but I find that I do better when I make something unrelated to all three. Freshens the mind, I suppose.

So, that being said, here's the idea of the thread:

1. You can't figure out a way to make that monster/PrC/spell/item/what have you. So! You post what it is you want here (ie: "I'd like a cleric spell that can raise my allies for a limited amount of time.").

2. I--and anyone else who decides to grab your idea--ponders it, and makes it mechanically sound (ie: "Here's the Arise (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Spells#Arise) spell").

3. The result will be posted in this thread, free for you to use.

[hr]

Now, a few limitations:
3.5 D&D only for now.
Monsters, spells, races, feats, and PrCs preferred.
Please don't ask for something you're not going to use.
Please don't ask for "humor" PrCs. I take my homebrewing very seriously.
Creations via this thread are probably ineligible for VT's contest, or for the forum contests, so be warned.

And that's it!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 10:12 AM
INDEX
I: Serpentfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2336936&postcount=5)

Deme
2007-04-06, 10:35 AM
Well, I'm sorry it's not a monster per say...but I'm having trouble thinking up the stats for a sort of lizardy/snakey race -- simmilar to the yuant-ti, but without the level adjustment(or only a +1) or hit die. basic physical aspects are that, like the yaun-ti, they are largely humanoid with probably a few scaley patches, slit pupils, and a sort of snake-tail, in addition to human legs (the tail would extend from the tailbone). Unlike the yuan-ti, they would have no particular affinity for magic/psionics...I don't need any fluff, just the racial traits, and I can build fluff around those.

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 10:54 AM
well i would like to see a race designed for favored class bard, not just a race that was designed for something else that bard was tacked onto (in looking at you gnomes)

Edit: also a monster with abilities like a spellthief would be nice (sorry if there is one and i haven't seen it)

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 11:02 AM
Well, I'm sorry it's not a monster per say...but I'm having trouble thinking up the stats for a sort of lizardy/snakey race -- simmilar to the yuant-ti, but without the level adjustment(or only a +1) or hit die. basic physical aspects are that, like the yaun-ti, they are largely humanoid with probably a few scaley patches, slit pupils, and a sort of snake-tail, in addition to human legs (the tail would extend from the tailbone). Unlike the yuan-ti, they would have no particular affinity for magic/psionics...I don't need any fluff, just the racial traits, and I can build fluff around those.

Serpentfolk
Con +2, Int -2. Serpentfolk are tough, but they have a harder time dealing with advanced mental concepts than most people.
Medium Size
Humanoid (Reptilian): As humanoid reptilians, Serpentfolk are affected by spells and effects that specifically target reptiles.
30' Land speed
Prehensile Tail: Due to their prehensile tail, Serpentfolk have a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). Further, their tail gives Serpentfolk a +4 bonus on Swim and Balance checks.
Darkvision: Serpentfolk can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight.
Natural Attacks: Serpentfolk have three natural attacks: two claws, which are used as a primary attack, and a secondary bite. The claws deal 1d4 damage, while the bite deals 1d6. Any round in which a Serpentfolk attacks with a manufactured weapon, it cannot attack with its claws.
LA +0

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 11:03 AM
also a monster with abilities like a spellthief would be nice (sorry if there is one and i haven't seen it)

Silverborn Whisperthieves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10590), for all your spellthieving needs.

Morty
2007-04-06, 11:11 AM
Just a minor question: does this thread include 'finishing' PrCs/Monsters/spells that someone started to design, but have no idea how to finish?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 11:11 AM
well i would like to see a race designed for favored class bard, not just a race that was designed for something else that bard was tacked onto (in looking at you gnomes)

Ekahapana are human-like fey who live in deep forests and jungles. They are related to the other Kolumakan races through ancestral relations to the Kolumaka, but have diverted into their own species. They appear as beautiful human females (all Ekahapana are female and reproduce asexually) with two distinguishing characteristics--a third eye in the middle of their forehead and long, pointed ears. They have light skin ranging from light green to peach. Ekahapana have a natural predilection towards the natural world.

Alignment: Most Ekahapana tend towards neutrality or good, occasionally both. However, this is by no means a requirement.

Language: Ekahapana speak Common and Sylvan, as well as their own racial language, Kolumaka.

Player Character Ekahapana
*Strength -2, Constitution -2, Charisma +4. Ekahapana prefer social combat to physical combat, and are naturally inclined towards such.
*Ekahapana are medium sized.
*A Ekahapana's base land speed is 30 feet.
*Fey: Ekahapana are fey with the (Kolumaka) subtype.
*Third Eye: An Ekahapana's third eye is not a vestigal organ and provides the following benefits:
:*Trinocular Vision: An Ekahapana receives a +2 racial bonus to Spot checks and a +1 racial bonus on ranged attack rolls due to their unique depth perception.
:*Beguiling Glance: An Ekahapana's third eye allows them to charm others, augmenting their natural beauty with magical compulsions. An Ekahapana can use charm person as a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to one-half their hit dice. In addition, during the use of this ability, an Ekahapana loses their racial bonus to Spot checks and ranged attack rolls.
:*An Ekahapana's third eye also grants them low-light vision.
*Natural Voice: An Ekahapana receives a +2 racial bonus on Perform (Song) checks. In addition, when determining the effects of bardic music, an Ekahapana's bard level is considered one higher than normal.
*Automatic languages: Common, Sylvan, Kolumaka
*Bonus Languages: Auran, Gnomish, Dwarven, Elven
*Favored Class: Bard

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 11:12 AM
Just a minor question: does this thread include 'finishing' PrCs/Monsters/spells that someone started to design, but have no idea how to finish?

Yes. If you have a "homebrew hangup" and can't finish something, post what you've got and I'll see what I can do.

Morty
2007-04-06, 11:21 AM
Alright, here it is:
It's PrC for my setting that I started making, but I can't seem to be able to finish it- I've got concept, but I'm not particulary mechanically experienced. Here's the table:

Demonhunter

Demonhunters are the order of skilled, agile warriors trained and dedicated to hunting down and killing outsiders of all types- but in fact they're killing mostly demons and devils, as they're most dangerous for society. At the beginning, demonhunters mere meant to be as an order of noble warriors protecting people from demonic danger, but now the're mostly just ruthless mercaneries, killing both evil and good outsiders for money. Basically, warrior becomes Demonhunter by discipline, training and drinking a special elixir from outsiders blood- it doesn't matter what type of outsider it was. Training and outsider's blood make them powerful, but it kills most of higher emotions of demonunter- though there're exceptions. Demonhunter are feared by common people, but everyone appreciates their skills in dealing with outsiders and other monsters. Demonhunters are usually fighters, rangers or warblades, and in most cases humans- elven or dwarven demonhunters appear from time to time, but that's all.
Requirements:
Alignment: any Neutral
BAB: +6
Skills: Knowledge (Planes) 5 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feats:
Special: Must drink special elixir made of outsider's blood, made by skilled alchemist.

Class skills: Climb, Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Planes), Survival, Tumble
Skill Points at each level:4 + Int modifier
Hit die: d8

DEMONHUNTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Outsider blood

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3| Emotionless

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3| Smite Outsider 1 time/day, Favored Enemy +2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4| Shield Mind

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4| Stronger Outsider Blood

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5| Smite Outsider 2 times/day, Favored Enemy +4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5| Dimensional Anchor

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6| Banishing Strike

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6| Dimension Door 1/day

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7| Superior Outsier Blood, Freedom Of Movement 1/day [/table]

Outsider Blood: Demonhunters drink an elixir from outsider's blood, which gives Darkvision and ability to detect outsider 3 times/day. If character have had Darkvision before, he gets additional 10 ft. of darkvision.
Stronger Outsider Blood: As the Demonhunter's outsider's blood becomes stronger, he gets True Seeing 2 times/day.
Superior Outsider Blood: Demonhunters are never fully humans(or whatever race they belong to), but most powerful Demonhunters are only partially humanoids, as outsider's blood grows stronger. It futher changes treir apperance, and they're treated as native outsiders rather than humanoid in case of spells like Hold Person or Charm Person. They can't be banished though, and can still be ressurected. They still need to breathe and sleep.
Emotionless: Due to their training, discipline and blood, Demonhunters are cold-blooded and emotionless. Therefore, they get +4 bonus to saves against fear and are immune to everything that grants morale bonus or penalty.
Shield Mind: Demonhunter can make himself immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects for number of rounds equal to his class level, 2 times/day. Not sure on which level should they get it.
Banishing Strike: Using one of his Smite Outsider uses, Demonhunter may attempt to banish an outsider by succesfully hitting it with melee weapon. Otherwise, this ability works like the Dismissal spell, caster level as Demonhunter's class levels. You have to declare Banishing Strike when you attack, if you miss the use of smite is lost.
Dimensional Anchor: Two times/day, a Demonhunter may use Dimensional Anchor spell as spell-like ability.
Smite Outsider: Demonhunter can perform powerful attack against an outsider. He adds his Wisdom modifier to attack and his class levels to damage. This ability stacks with Paladin's Smite Evil ability.
Favored Enemy: This ability works exactly like Ranger's Favored Enemy ability- Demonhunter has a choose between Good and Evil outsiders. This ability stacks with Favored Enemy bonus, if the character has one.

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 11:23 AM
Awesome thanx for both :biggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 11:33 AM
Alright, here it is:
It's PrC for my setting that I started making, but I can't seem to be able to finish it- I've got concept, but I'm not particulary mechanically experienced. Here's the table:

Demonhunter

Demonhunters are the order of skilled, agile warriors trained and dedicated to hunting down and killing outsiders of all types- but in fact they're killing mostly demons and devils, as they're most dangerous for society. At the beginning, demonhunters mere meant to be as an order of noble warriors protecting people from demonic danger, but now the're mostly just ruthless mercaneries, killing both evil and good outsiders for money. Basically, warrior becomes Demonhunter by discipline, training and drinking a special elixir from outsiders blood- it doesn't matter what type of outsider it was. Training and outsider's blood make them powerful, but it kills most of higher emotions of demonunter- though there're exceptions. Demonhunter are feared by common people, but everyone appreciates their skills in dealing with outsiders and other monsters. Demonhunters are usually fighters, rangers or warblades, and in most cases humans- elven or dwarven demonhunters appear from time to time, but that's all.
Requirements:
Alignment: any Neutral
BAB: +6
Skills: Knowledge (Planes) 5 ranks, Survival 6 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feats:
Special: Must drink special elixir made of outsider's blood, made by skilled alchemist.

Class skills: Climb, Concentration, Heal, Knowledge (Planes), Survival, Tumble
Skill Points at each level:4 + Int modifier
Hit die: d8

DEMONHUNTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Outsider blood

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3| Emotionless

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3| Smite Outsider 1 time/day, Special Training +2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4| Stronger Outsider Blood

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5| Smite Outsider 2 times/day, Special Training +4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5| Banishing Strike

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6| Dimensional Anchor

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6| Special Training +6, Dimension Door 1/day

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7| Superior Outsier Blood, Freedom Of Movement 1/day [/table]

Outsider Blood: Demonhunters drink an elixir from outsider's blood, which gives them ceratin powers and drawbacks. I'll specify them later, they'll probably depend on which type of outsider was the blood from.
Stronger Outsider Blood: As the Demonhunter becomes stronger, his outsider blood grants him new abilities- again, I'll specify later, I've got few abilities about that already.
Superior Outsider Blood: Demonhunters are never fully humans(or whatever race they belong to), but most powerful Demonhunters are only partailly humanoids, as outsider's blood grows stronger. It futher changes treir apperance, and they're treated as outsiders rather than humanoid in case of spells like Hold Person or Charm Person. They can't be banished though, and can still be ressurected. They still need to breathe and sleep.
Emotionless: Due to their training, discipline and blood, Demonhunters are cold-blooded and emotionless. Therefore, they get +4 bonus to saves against fear and are immune to everything that grants morale bonus or penalty.
Shield Mind: Demonhunter can make himself immune to all mind-affecting spells and effects for number of rounds equal to his class level, 2 times/day. Not sure on which level should they get it.
Banishing Strike: Two times/day, Demonhunter may attempt to banish an outsider by succesfully hitting it with melee weapon. Otherwise, this ability works like the Dismissal spell, caster level as Demonhunter's class levels. You have to declare Banishing Strike when you attack, if you miss the charge is lost.
Dimensional Anchor: Two times/day, a Demonhunter may use Dimensional Anchor spell as spell-like ability.
Smite Outsider: Demonhunter can perform powerful attack against an outsider. He adds his Wisdom modifier to attack and his class levels to damage.
Special Training: Demonhunter is trained in hunting outsiders, therefore he gains bonuses to hit and damage against all outsiders. It stacks with ranger's Favored Enemy and all similiar abilities.

Shield Mind at fourth.

Superior Outsider Blood should probably change the character's type to Outsider (Native).

Are you looking for more mechanics, replacement mechanics, or something else?

Umarth
2007-04-06, 11:36 AM
How about a parasitic monster based on those freaky wasps that preform brain surgery (http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2006/02/02/the_wisdom_of_parasites.php).

Morty
2007-04-06, 11:39 AM
Mostly for advice if its abilities are balanced. Beside that, I'd like to give it some more anti-outsider abilities. I've got flavor, roleplaying, place in setting etc. in mind, so only mechanics.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 12:32 PM
Have Smite Outsider stack with Paladin's Smite Evil ability: if the player has both, he can smite one or the other (and gets double effect on evil outsiders). Flat replace "Special Training" with Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders). Swap the gain of Banishing Strike and Dimensional Anchor, and make Banishing Strike a Smite modification instead of a unique ability.

Morty
2007-04-06, 12:46 PM
Thanks, done. Actually, when I think about that, I've mostly had troubles with Outsider Blood abilities- I'm not entirely sure what they should give.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 12:52 PM
Perhaps Darkvision? Detect Evil? Detect Outsider? True Seeing? A touch attack versus outsiders?

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 12:55 PM
How about a parasitic monster based on those freaky wasps that preform brain surgery (http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2006/02/02/the_wisdom_of_parasites.php).

I could do something with this.

Lets see...

Ampulex
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 10 ft, fly 30 ft (good)
AC: 17 (touch 17 flatfooted 12)
Bases attack/ Grapple: +1/-11
Attack: touch +8 Melee (sting)
Full attack: touch +8 Melee (sting)
Space/ reach: 2 1/2/ 0
Special Attacks: Sting, Poison, Charm sting, lay eggs
Special Qualities: Low light vision, dark vision 60ft
Saves: Fort: +2 Ref +7 Will +1
Abilities: Str: 3 Dex: 20 Con: 10 Int: 1 Wis: 12 Cha: 6
Skills: +17 hide
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
Environment: Forests
Organization: Solitary
CR: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral

Sting: if the Ampulex surprises the party or wins initiative it will attempt to sting the least armored opponent. If its succeeds on a melee touch attack it delivers its poison as a free action. If it does not surprise the party or win initiative it will fly away in search of easier prey (on its turn)

Poison: DC 15 fort save initial paralyzed for 1 round, secondary none

Charm sting: (Su) If the Ampulex begins its turn in the same space as a paralyzed opponent it may deliver a charm sting, this functons as the spell charm person except that the DC is a flat 15, only effects one enemy at a time and the stung person only becomes indifferent toward them instead of friendly.

Lay eggs:f the Ampulex begins its turn in the same space as a Charmed opponent it may lay eggs it lays them under the skin of the enemy this causes no pain or discomfort. After laying eggs the Ampulex flies away and dies. The eggs incubate for 1d6+4 days before hatching and eating their way out (this deals 2d10 damage) for all intensive purposes the eggs are considered a disease and can be removed in all the same ways (if the party knows they are there)
That what I got (any changes or improvements are welcome)

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-06, 12:58 PM
First off, I love this thread already. :3

Secondly; I'm creating a homebrew spell-casting class called the Rune-rhymer.
Its essential feature is scribing special 'Runes'; these runes can be kept on the skin to provide multiple minor effects, or expended to produce a greater effect- somewhat similar to the effects of a psionic focus.
As I've currently conceived of the class, it's a secondary/primary healer, with a good selection of 'toolbox' abilities, some capability as a face, and a few offensive spells.

My questions are as follows:
1. What would be the best source for effects to duplicate via Runes? Presently, I'm drawing a small number of effects from the Druid spell list, and the majority from the Psion/Wilder power list- however the Rune-rhymer 'casts' these effects as arcane spells.
Would Psychic Warrior be better? Or perhaps a combination of Psion and Bard?
2. Presently, the Rhymer has proficiency with a few martial weapons, notably the Longbow and Greataxe; should I eschew this?
3. A Rhymer, as presently written, can "re-scribe" his runes in combat by using a number of full-round actions equal to the Rune's grade/the spell effect's level (maximum seven), and a Spellcraft check against DC 10+2x Rune Grade. There is presently no limit on this action except for his supply of ink- should I change this? What would be necessary to balance the class if re-scribing is kept?
4. The Rhymer casts 'expending' effects of his Runes as if they were spells, but employs 'non-expending' uses as SLAs; is this balanced?
5. The Rhymer's Runes are not affected by armor; is this balanced? Also, Runes cannot be counterspelled- should this be changed?
6. I'd like specific commentary on the following abilities:
A. Tale-runes: When scribing their Runes for the day, the Rhymer can choose to link up to three of them into a coherent 'Tale'. Runes linked in this manner activate in succession; the first is activated normally, and the second and third can be activated as free actions the following round.
B. Pass-rune: A Rhymer of this level can pass one of their Runes (and the continual or non-expending, but not expending, benefits thereof) to a willing ally by touching them; the inked symbol slides across the skin-to-skin contact and onto the appropriate spot on the recipient's flesh.
C. Runeblade: A Rhymer of thirteenth level or above can choose to transfer the benefit of any of their scribed runes that deals direct HP or ability damage to a melee weapon they wield as a standard action; the benefit so transferred is expended or unexpended as usual, and is considered to be activated when the weapon strikes. Any weapon so imbued deals both its normal damage (including any magical enhancements) and the Rune-damage.
D. Finger-runes: An eighteenth-level rhymer can scribe any rune normally placed on the hand on one of their fingers; thus, they can make use of up to ten hand-based runes.

For purposes of reference, here is the section on Runes from the unfinished Rhymer class:
Runes:Each day, the Rune-rhymer chooses and scribes a number of Runes on his skin (as per the table in spoiler 01); his Runes known are drawn from the Rhymer lexicon (spoiler 02).
To unravel the truth and tale of a Rune and scribe it, a Rhymer must have a wisdom score equal to 10+ the Rune's grade; for this purpose, Seed-runes equal one, Runes of First Growing two, Root-runes three, and so on.
The difficulty class of a saving throw against those Rune effects that require one is equal to 10+ Rune Grade+ the Rhymer's wisdom modifier.
A Rhymer can only scribe a limited number of Runes to his skin per day, detailed on the table in Spoiler 01; the toxic nature of The Substance and the arcane energies latent within it prohibit greater concentrations until a tolerance is achieved.
Scribing a rune requires a small amount of The Substance and a tapper-kit (standard equipment for a Rhymer); the process requires approximately ten minutes per each rune to be initially inscribed. Inscribing a Rune deals 1 point of damage per grade of the rune inscribed; a fortitude save against DC 10+ Rune Grade negates the damage.
A Rhymer does not recieve additional Runes known for having a high Wisdom score; his runes known are determined using the values on the table in Spoiler 01.
For purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, the Rhymer's arcane caster level is equal to 3/4 class level; Runes of the appropriate grade function as spells of the appropriate level for purposes of qualifying for such.
Runes have two kinds of ability: expending abilities, which generally cause the Rune to vanish (and necessitate re-scribing to use again) and constant abilities, which are considered usually 'always active' and require no action to use (with some exceptions).
A Rune-rhymer must concentrate to employ the more spectacular powers of a Rune; whenever using a Rune ability that would expend that Rune, he must make concentration checks as appropriate, as if he were casting a spell. Expending abilities of a Rune cannot, however, be counter-spelled as if they were spells.
Activating the expending ability of a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity unless otherwise noted.
Non-expending or constant abilities of a rune function as Spell-like abilities, and are generally entirely mental actions; activating a non-expending ability or a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; non-expending abilities cannot be disrupted as spells can be unless otherwise noted.
All powers of a Rune are subject to spell resistance unless otherwise noted.
Rune activation is not encumbered by armor as is usual for spells; however, if the area in which the Rune is located is covered by armor, it cannot be re-scribed until the area is exposed.
Once expended, a Rune can be re-scribed by the rhymer; this requires a number of consecutive full-round actions in combat equal to the Rune's grade, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Re-scribing a rune requires a Spellcraft check against DC 10 + 2x Rune Grade. A rhymer cannot replace an expended Rune with another Rune he did not initially repair; he must re-scribe the original Rune.

Also for purposes of reference, the Runes Known/Max Runes Scribed Table:
{table=head]Level|Rune Grade|Runes Known|Runes Scribed
1|Seed|2|3
2|-|4|5
3|-|6|7
4|First Growing|10|7
5|-|11|7
6|-|13|12
7|Root|15|14
8|-|17|16
9|-|20|19
10|Branch|21|21
11|-|24|21
12|-|27|21
13|Second Growing|28|23
14|-|30|25
15|-|32|28
16|Thousand Seed|36|28
17|-|38|28
18|Forest|39|31
19|-|40|33
20|-|42|35
[/table]

The Rune-rhymer is intended to be balanced as compared to the Shaman (OA), Spirit Shaman (CD), Warlock (CA), Shadowcaster (ToM), Binder (ToM), Bard (PHB), and any/all Psionic or Incarnum Classes; in other words, alternative, hybrid/pseudo-melee or second-tier casters.

Morty
2007-04-06, 12:59 PM
Perhaps Darkvision? Detect Evil? Detect Outsider? True Seeing? A touch attack versus outsiders?

Aye, Darkvision's ceratinly good for the start. It's outsiderish thing and it fits PrC's literary archetype. Detect outsider is good too, as well as True Seeing.

Tormsskull
2007-04-06, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see a Wizard/Cleric spell (different by level if you think it needs to be) that prevents 1 target from casting spells for as long as the caster concentrates.

Go crazy with anything else that augments the spell/limits it/enhances it or whatever comes to your imagination.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 01:12 PM
First off, I love this thread already. :3

Secondly; I'm creating a homebrew spell-casting class called the Rune-rhymer.
Its essential feature is scribing special 'Runes'; these runes can be kept on the skin to provide multiple minor effects, or expended to produce a greater effect- somewhat similar to the effects of a psionic focus.
As I've currently conceived of the class, it's a secondary/primary healer, with a good selection of 'toolbox' abilities, some capability as a face, and a few offensive spells.

My questions are as follows:
1. What would be the best source for effects to duplicate via Runes? Presently, I'm drawing a small number of effects from the Druid spell list, and the majority from the Psion/Wilder power list- however the Rune-rhymer 'casts' these effects as arcane spells.
Would Psychic Warrior be better? Or perhaps a combination of Psion and Bard?
2. Presently, the Rhymer has proficiency with a few martial weapons, notably the Longbow and Greataxe; should I eschew this?
3. A Rhymer, as presently written, can "re-scribe" his runes in combat by using a number of full-round actions equal to the Rune's grade/the spell effect's level (maximum seven), and a Spellcraft check against DC 10+2x Rune Grade. There is presently no limit on this action except for his supply of ink- should I change this? What would be necessary to balance the class if re-scribing is kept?
4. The Rhymer casts 'expending' effects of his Runes as if they were spells, but employs 'non-expending' uses as SLAs; is this balanced?
5. The Rhymer's Runes are not affected by armor; is this balanced? Also, Runes cannot be counterspelled- should this be changed?
6. I'd like specific commentary on the following abilities:
A. Tale-runes: When scribing their Runes for the day, the Rhymer can choose to link up to three of them into a coherent 'Tale'. Runes linked in this manner activate in succession; the first is activated normally, and the second and third can be activated as free actions the following round.
B. Pass-rune: A Rhymer of this level can pass one of their Runes (and the continual or non-expending, but not expending, benefits thereof) to a willing ally by touching them; the inked symbol slides across the skin-to-skin contact and onto the appropriate spot on the recipient's flesh.
C. Runeblade: A Rhymer of thirteenth level or above can choose to transfer the benefit of any of their scribed runes that deals direct HP or ability damage to a melee weapon they wield as a standard action; the benefit so transferred is expended or unexpended as usual, and is considered to be activated when the weapon strikes. Any weapon so imbued deals both its normal damage (including any magical enhancements) and the Rune-damage.
D. Finger-runes: An eighteenth-level rhymer can scribe any rune normally placed on the hand on one of their fingers; thus, they can make use of up to ten hand-based runes.

For purposes of reference, here is the section on Runes from the unfinished Rhymer class:
Runes:Each day, the Rune-rhymer chooses and scribes a number of Runes on his skin (as per the table in spoiler 01); his Runes known are drawn from the Rhymer lexicon (spoiler 02).
To unravel the truth and tale of a Rune and scribe it, a Rhymer must have a wisdom score equal to 10+ the Rune's grade; for this purpose, Seed-runes equal one, Runes of First Growing two, Root-runes three, and so on.
The difficulty class of a saving throw against those Rune effects that require one is equal to 10+ Rune Grade+ the Rhymer's wisdom modifier.
A Rhymer can only scribe a limited number of Runes to his skin per day, detailed on the table in Spoiler 01; the toxic nature of The Substance and the arcane energies latent within it prohibit greater concentrations until a tolerance is achieved.
Scribing a rune requires a small amount of The Substance and a tapper-kit (standard equipment for a Rhymer); the process requires approximately ten minutes per each rune to be initially inscribed. Inscribing a Rune deals 1 point of damage per grade of the rune inscribed; a fortitude save against DC 10+ Rune Grade negates the damage.
A Rhymer does not recieve additional Runes known for having a high Wisdom score; his runes known are determined using the values on the table in Spoiler 01.
For purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, the Rhymer's arcane caster level is equal to 3/4 class level; Runes of the appropriate grade function as spells of the appropriate level for purposes of qualifying for such.
Runes have two kinds of ability: expending abilities, which generally cause the Rune to vanish (and necessitate re-scribing to use again) and constant abilities, which are considered usually 'always active' and require no action to use (with some exceptions).
A Rune-rhymer must concentrate to employ the more spectacular powers of a Rune; whenever using a Rune ability that would expend that Rune, he must make concentration checks as appropriate, as if he were casting a spell. Expending abilities of a Rune cannot, however, be counter-spelled as if they were spells.
Activating the expending ability of a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity unless otherwise noted.
Non-expending or constant abilities of a rune function as Spell-like abilities, and are generally entirely mental actions; activating a non-expending ability or a Rune is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity; non-expending abilities cannot be disrupted as spells can be unless otherwise noted.
All powers of a Rune are subject to spell resistance unless otherwise noted.
Rune activation is not encumbered by armor as is usual for spells; however, if the area in which the Rune is located is covered by armor, it cannot be re-scribed until the area is exposed.
Once expended, a Rune can be re-scribed by the rhymer; this requires a number of consecutive full-round actions in combat equal to the Rune's grade, and provokes attacks of opportunity. Re-scribing a rune requires a Spellcraft check against DC 10 + 2x Rune Grade. A rhymer cannot replace an expended Rune with another Rune he did not initially repair; he must re-scribe the original Rune.

Also for purposes of reference, the Runes Known/Max Runes Scribed Table:
{table=head]Level|Rune Grade|Runes Known|Runes Scribed
1|Seed|2|3
2|-|4|5
3|-|6|7
4|First Growing|10|7
5|-|11|7
6|-|13|12
7|Root|15|14
8|-|17|16
9|-|20|19
10|Branch|21|21
11|-|24|21
12|-|27|21
13|Second Growing|28|23
14|-|30|25
15|-|32|28
16|Thousand Seed|36|28
17|-|38|28
18|Forest|39|31
19|-|40|33
20|-|42|35
[/table]

The Rune-rhymer is intended to be balanced as compared to the Shaman (OA), Spirit Shaman (CD), Warlock (CA), Shadowcaster (ToM), Binder (ToM), Bard (PHB), and any/all Psionic or Incarnum Classes; in other words, alternative, hybrid/pseudo-melee or second-tier casters.

1. I would actually have to say three sources: there's Forgotten Realms rune magic, and there's the Binder, who scribes a seal and summons a vestige. Those'd be where I'd go to. The other one I'd go to is the Runescarred Berserker, which sounds remarkably similar to what you're looking for.

2. No. As a secondary combattant (like a Bard) instead of a tertiary one (like a wizard), it should have proficiency with a few martial weapons.

3. I would say that the mechanic you have makes sense, particularly since it's limited by a material component.

4. Yes.

5. As long as he doesn't have full casting and it's limited to specific types of armor (say, medium or lighter), I'd say there's no problem there.

6. I'd rather read it as "activate one in the first round; the second automatically activates as a free action on second round; the third automatically activates as a free action on third round." I'd also rather limit the max number in a tale by, say CHA mod as a maximum. Pass-runes look fine, limited to a max number of, say, WIS mod passed maximum. Runeblades and Finger-Runes look fine too; they're of sufficiently high level to not be an issue.

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 01:18 PM
I'd like to see a Wizard/Cleric spell (different by level if you think it needs to be) that prevents 1 target from casting spells for as long as the caster concentrates.

Go crazy with anything else that augments the spell/limits it/enhances it or whatever comes to your imagination.

Hmm.. something lke this?

Mental Stiffness
Illusion [mind effecting]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 3, Cler 3
Components: V,S
Casting time: 1 standard action
range Close (25 ft +5/2 levels)
Target: One enemy Spellcaster
Duration: Concentration
saving throw: Will negates
Spell resistanes: Yes

Your enemy feels as though their hands and mouth are stiffened to the point of uselessness. They are unable to cast spells that require verbal or somatic components, nor can they manipulate anything other that the most simple objects with their hand (if they had a weapon, wand or similar object in their hand before the spell the may still use it and have a +4 to any roll to avoid being disarmed). They also cannot speak other than grunts for the duration of the spell.

once again any comments/ critics are welcome

2007-04-06, 01:26 PM
1. The Runecaster isn't much help; their spellcasting is +1 of any divine class, and the Rhymer emphatically shouldn't gain, say, Cleric spells. Druid spells maybe, Bard spells yes, Cleric spells definitely no.
Also, it's a ten-level PrC, so the considerations are somewhat different there.
Rune Magic in general might work okay, but I'd rather not lift it wholesale.
The Rhymer already uses a limited form of Binder-like mechanic, in the form of three 'Greatrunes' that permanently grant some of the capabilities of another class, gained at three widely separated levels.
There is some merit to looking over vestige-granted powers for rune inspiration; thanks there.
I don't have the necessary source-book for Runescarred Berserker; and I'm also not sure it fits the flavor of the class...they're not directly eager to engage in combat.

3. The material component is pretty inexpensive/simple to make, however..in fact, here's the relevant ability:
Substance: Inscribing a Rune requires the application of a special material known as 'The Substance'. Composed of a mixture of vitriol, oak galls, and other ingredients less well-known, its precise composition is a secret among Rhymers. Creating a flask of The Substance requires a DC 10 Craft (Alchemy) check, and can only be attempted by a Rhymer. One flask is sufficient for the application of 100 Seed-runes; each additional grade of Rune requires an additional application (thus, only around fourteen Forest-Runes can be scribed with such a flask). The material components of The Substance cost 10gp per flask. The Substance is embedded into the skin through the many fine needles of the Tapper-kit.
While the basic composition of the Substance is always the same, various components may be added to it for the composition of specific Runes (for instance, Cinnabar or Nightshade for the Rune of Twilight).

6. That does make considerably more sense, actually, thanks.

I'm starting to think this is beyond the scale of this thread by a bit; I'm going to go ahead and complete it, give it its own thread, and submit it for more detailed comment there...thanks for all your help.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 01:29 PM
Well the Runescarred Berserker actually carves runes into his flesh that release spells at a later time. It sounds remarkably like what you're trying to do, just more self-mutilating.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-06, 01:40 PM

===Arcane Mind-Block===
Enchantment (Mind-Affecting)
Level: Cleric 4, Sorceror/Wizard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You concentrate and suppress the magical abilities of your target. Your target forget show to cast spells for as long as you concentrate on the target, plus three rounds, making it unable to cast spells or use spell-like abilities.

Legoman
2007-04-06, 02:05 PM
Those Channeled spells in your Wiki are brilliant - but in our PnP group, I'm 9/10 of the time the party's divine caster. What about some Channeled healing/buffing/debuffing/necromantic spells?

Also, what about some feats that would allow a non-cleric the use of certain staple healing spells a token number of times per day, but more importantly would also allow the use of Wands/Scrolls of those spells? If I could convince one of our DMs to let me use something like that, maybe I could finally get to use something out of ToB:BoNS, instead of ripping it up as CoDZILLA all the time.

Kultrum
2007-04-06, 02:09 PM
Could some of you guy look this class i made over and till me what you think?
The Singing Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38359)

2007-04-07, 08:56 AM
I'm making some small tweaks to the Half-Giant as presented in the XPH- mostly flavor, but I'd like to make one change to rules; namely, their favored class (in the vein of all my homebrew races) is either Psychic Warrior or Totemist.
In view of this, I might be replacing their naturally psionic ability with an extra point of essentia (as Dusklings) for those Half-Giants who choose Totemist as their favored class.
I don't think that's too powerful for their LA, obviously, given that it's dandy with the Dusklings, but I could be wrong.
Also; should nominally 'non-psionic' Half-Giants keep the stomp power?
I'm leaning towards 'no', but having never gamed extensively with Half-Giants, I don't know how much use people get out of it.

So: are my tweaks reasonable?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-07, 10:48 AM
I'm making some small tweaks to the Half-Giant as presented in the XPH- mostly flavor, but I'd like to make one change to rules; namely, their favored class (in the vein of all my homebrew races) is either Psychic Warrior or Totemist.
In view of this, I might be replacing their naturally psionic ability with an extra point of essentia (as Dusklings) for those Half-Giants who choose Totemist as their favored class.
I don't think that's too powerful for their LA, obviously, given that it's dandy with the Dusklings, but I could be wrong.
Also; should nominally 'non-psionic' Half-Giants keep the stomp power?
I'm leaning towards 'no', but having never gamed extensively with Half-Giants, I don't know how much use people get out of it.

So: are my tweaks reasonable?

They are. You can even seen an example of a psionic/incarnum based race here (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Uhanemili).

2007-04-07, 10:52 AM
They are. You can even seen an example of a psionic/incarnum based race here (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Uhanemili).
Mm, another of your tasty three-eyed folks, eh? Good stuff.

Maroon
2007-04-07, 12:15 PM
I'd be honored if anyone could write up a creature that grows its own iron armor in place of its skin. Basically, a humanoid with an inherent fullplate/buckler/spiked gauntlet. Possibly Abberation type, with some mild Construct traits from being partiallly iron.

Legoman
2007-04-07, 02:09 PM
Decided to solve my own problem:

Channeled Cure Injury
Level: Cleric 4
Casting Time/Range:See Text
Duration:See Text
Saving Throw Will (Harmless)
SR Yes (Harmless)

This spell heals the injuries of your allies. The amount of damage healed is determined by how long you spend casting the spell.

{table]Length | Healing Done | Maximum | Range
Swift | 1d4 +1/CL HP | 1d4+3 | Touch
Standard | 3d4 +1/CL HP | 3d4+5 | Touch
Full | 3d8 +1/CL HP | 3d8+10 | Touch
2x Fulls | 4d8 + 1/CL HP | 4d8 +15 | 15' Range[/table]

Neko
2007-04-09, 04:32 PM
okay I'm working on this monster Idea... but I'm unsure bout some of it. The idea is for some snake like monster.. probably large size.. but instead of a snakes head it has what looks like a porceline mask of a pretty female. A little down the body from the face is a small pair of almost worthless arms. Now the thing is.. the mask is not its face exactly.. instead the mask splits open vertically to expose rows of sharp teeth.. the mask is its mouth. Now the idea is the monster uses charm spells and sleep to ensnare victims in its coils. Also I want it to be able to produce some sort of illusion that makes it look like a female humanoid without actually becoming the humanoid.. that way it can still constrict... is there a spell that does that? Also I was thinking about it laying eggs in its victims.. if they die the body serves as an incubator till they hatch.. but if the enemy manages to get away.. they might have to make some sort of save daily for like 1d6+1 days every day. If they fail them all at the end the monster hatches and burrows out of the person dealing a great deal of damage that is potentially lethal.

Black Mage
2007-04-09, 10:24 PM
I'd like a druid spell, or maybe a couple.

First, one that causes a touched, fruit bearing tree, to instantly grow it's fruit, or grow it over the course of a day or two. I'd like the fruit to be completely non-magical, just normal food...maybe also make it so that the fruit lasts longer than normal fruit of it's kind.

Second, one that does the same as the first, but in an area of effect, instead of a single tree.

I'm no good at homebrewing, and so I leave it up to the great people here. Thanks.

KoDT69
2007-04-10, 10:26 AM
Fax - My group has a dwarven rogue that has been severely ineffective at all but opening locks. So far he is a Rogue/Temple Raider, but I am always willing to let them retrain classes if one proves to suck beyond repair. TR doesn't seem horrible, but very limited use. I think he'd be happier picking locks, disarming traps, and being able to do more combat damage. Got anything up your sleeve for that kind of sneeky guy?

Neko
2007-04-10, 11:23 AM
On the subject of mine... its not that I want a full monster rolled up.. I just want a bit of help creating it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 11:25 AM
Not to swamp you with requests or anything, but I could use some assistance with the bard redux in my sig.

Neko
2007-04-10, 11:36 AM
This is more of an opinion question than a help one.. but what do you guys think of Dwarves as Rogues? Cause i'm thinking bout making one but am unsure about it... like is there a rogue-like class that would fit a dwarf better?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 11:43 AM
It depends on how dwarves are portrayed in your world.

Neko
2007-04-10, 11:48 AM
It depends on how dwarves are portrayed in your world.

well by the PHB standards. like those rules for dwarfs and their abilities mostly. The DM is pretty open bout how you play them so he will probably end up CN

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 11:51 AM
okay I'm working on this monster Idea... but I'm unsure bout some of it. The idea is for some snake like monster.. probably large size.. but instead of a snakes head it has what looks like a porceline mask of a pretty female. A little down the body from the face is a small pair of almost worthless arms. Now the thing is.. the mask is not its face exactly.. instead the mask splits open vertically to expose rows of sharp teeth.. the mask is its mouth. Now the idea is the monster uses charm spells and sleep to ensnare victims in its coils. Also I want it to be able to produce some sort of illusion that makes it look like a female humanoid without actually becoming the humanoid.. that way it can still constrict... is there a spell that does that? Also I was thinking about it laying eggs in its victims.. if they die the body serves as an incubator till they hatch.. but if the enemy manages to get away.. they might have to make some sort of save daily for like 1d6+1 days every day. If they fail them all at the end the monster hatches and burrows out of the person dealing a great deal of damage that is potentially lethal.

I'll need some more info. What do they eat? How smart are they? Do they speak? Where are they from?

First, one that causes a touched, fruit bearing tree, to instantly grow it's fruit, or grow it over the course of a day or two. I'd like the fruit to be completely non-magical, just normal food...maybe also make it so that the fruit lasts longer than normal fruit of it's kind.

Second, one that does the same as the first, but in an area of effect, instead of a single tree.

I'll do this one in a bit. D1 beat me to it.

Fax - My group has a dwarven rogue that has been severely ineffective at all but opening locks. So far he is a Rogue/Temple Raider, but I am always willing to let them retrain classes if one proves to suck beyond repair. TR doesn't seem horrible, but very limited use. I think he'd be happier picking locks, disarming traps, and being able to do more combat damage. Got anything up your sleeve for that kind of sneeky guy?

I do in fact. The Sensory Atavist (http://www.corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Sensory_Atavist) might be exactly what you're looking for.

Not to swamp you with requests or anything, but I could use some assistance with the bard redux in my sig.

I'll see what I can do.

This is more of an opinion question than a help one.. but what do you guys think of Dwarves as Rogues? Cause i'm thinking bout making one but am unsure about it... like is there a rogue-like class that would fit a dwarf better?

Try the Silver Key (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061106a&page=2) from Dragonmarked.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 11:52 AM
I meant in terms of fluff, actually. Pretty standard there too, I'm assuming?

Oh, it also depends on what kind of rogue you want to play.

The Demented One
2007-04-10, 11:53 AM

Here you go.

Sudden Harvest
Transmutation
Level: Druid 0, Ranger 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One fruit or vegetable producing plant
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes a touched plant to bear its crop immediately. The plant produces enough fruits or vegetables to provide one meal for yourself. The food rots after 24 hours if not eaten, although a purify food and drink spell.

Material Component:
A handful of wheat stalks.

Mass Sudden Harvest
Transmutation
Level: Druid 3
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: All fruit or vegetable producing plants within range

As sudden harvest, except as above. Each plant produces enough food to feed one humanoid creature. The amount of food produced by this spell cannot exceed three meals per level.

Neko
2007-04-10, 12:04 PM
hate to ask..but what ya mean by fluff?

Fax: Ummm they're going to be at least average intelligence maybe higher. They are probably carnivors, eating victims or animals they catch. Where from, not sure... thinking native to the mortal plane more than likely...and yes they speak. The big thing I'm trying to figure out is if they should do the egg laying thing or not... and what spell would work for the illusionary form

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 12:16 PM
Fluff = flavor elements. How are they generally roleplayed, what's their in-game culture like, how do they speak, what god(s) do they worship, that kind of thing.

Neko
2007-04-10, 12:20 PM
Fluff = flavor elements. How are they generally roleplayed, what's their in-game culture like, how do they speak, what god(s) do they worship, that kind of thing.

ahhhh I see got you. Ya know not really sure.. we didnt get much done in the Campaign before I decided to switch chars so not sure yet.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 12:22 PM
The impregnation ability is probably a good one. As for the Illusionary Form ability, perhaps a specifically worded version of disguise self?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 12:26 PM
ahhhh I see got you. Ya know not really sure.. we didnt get much done in the Campaign before I decided to switch chars so not sure yet.

Okay. Well, assuming that they are fairly typical dwarves, the role where you'd most excel is as trapsmith - mostly because of stonecunning. Party face is doable, but not one of your strong points because of the Cha penalty. Stealth is middling - doesn't really fit the race, but at the same time, is easily explainable. It really depends on what kind of rogue you want to play, as I said before.

Neko
2007-04-10, 12:49 PM
Osari: Yeah thinking kind of a trap char that stealths some too. we got a grappler so He plans to grapple letting me easily sneak attack. My plan is to have a big chest strapped on my back instead of a backpack.. maybe some small barrels of gunpowder too.

Fax: So you think the idea of when grappled trying to force an egg intot hem works? Part of the idea is to make them think they're in the arms of a lover and while kissing slide the egg in

Fax Celestis
2007-04-10, 01:07 PM
Yeah, sounds feasible.

KoDT69
2007-04-10, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the quick response dude, that class is total pwnage :smallbiggrin:

Neko
2007-04-11, 07:42 AM
cool. So the incubatioin period sounds about right too? I figure like a fortitude save of like DC 20 maybe each morning to see if you can expell the egg from your system sounds about right.

Neko
2007-04-11, 10:03 AM
On a side note that silverkey does look pretty cool... course it being eberron makes things a little differnt with the dragonmarks and all.. funny thing being I planned to have a strange mark on my Dwarf's forhead... kinda like in the picture of the silverkey.

Also how well would such a class work outside of that world?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 10:20 AM
Also how well would such a class work outside of that world?

That is something best left to the DM. Honestly, I think it'll be fine, with some flavor changes.

slapdash
2007-04-11, 10:34 AM
I am in need of a class that is able to sympathetically heal others in a world where Cure spells do not exist. The Martyr (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6449) (check out the demo for the basic idea) is very similar to what I am looking for, but I would like them to be less combat-oriented and more versatile, with enough skills and options that they are not limited to being band-aids. Spell lists or abilities would ideally focus on protection, purification, etc. A corrupt variant able to instead inflict wounds he has taken onto another person would be bonus, but not required.

The class dealing lethal damage to sentient beings would be counter to the philosophy behind it. I am not sure how to deal with this - perhaps an ability of the class could be taking a lessened penalty on attacks to deal non-lethal.

Thanks in advance, and if it's a pain, I definitely don't mind using the third-party class from above.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 10:48 AM
I am in need of a class that is able to sympathetically heal others in a world where Cure spells do not exist. The Martyr (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6449) (check out the demo for the basic idea) is very similar to what I am looking for, but I would like them to be less combat-oriented and more versatile, with enough skills and options that they are not limited to being band-aids. Spell lists or abilities would ideally focus on protection, purification, etc. A corrupt variant able to instead inflict wounds he has taken onto another person would be bonus, but not required.

The class dealing lethal damage to sentient beings would be counter to the philosophy behind it. I am not sure how to deal with this - perhaps an ability of the class could be taking a lessened penalty on attacks to deal non-lethal.

Thanks in advance, and if it's a pain, I definitely don't mind using the third-party class from above.

I'll see what I can come up with...healers aren't really my thing.

But, to be clear, for the purposes of "symapthetic healing", you mean "I take your damage into myself," correct?

Neko
2007-04-11, 10:54 AM
That is something best left to the DM. Honestly, I think it'll be fine, with some flavor changes.

such as removing the dragon mark stuff?

slapdash
2007-04-11, 10:56 AM
Yes, exactly. I thought I'd clarified that, but I must've deleted it.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 10:56 AM
such as removing the dragon mark stuff?

Or altering the dragonmark stuff to SLAs per day. Removal is probably easier, though.

Neko
2007-04-11, 11:00 AM
*nods* yeah the mark I was gonna have on the forhead of my dwarf was more for looks than anything really... ahahaha! have it be explosive runes! was thinking bout making him a little blastingpowder happy

GoufCustom
2007-04-11, 10:49 PM
A melee PrC that focuses on chaos. I don't mean quite like the luck-based ones that there was a contest for recently, and I'm honestly not even sure how to make this request more specific. I just really enjoy playing chaotic characters.

Maybe a highly chaotic cleric PrC as well?

Neko
2007-04-12, 07:42 AM
Oh and on that monster I'm working on... one, thanks for the help so far and the liking of the idea. two, would it be an outsider or aberatioin more?

and this is just a question.. Does anyone know if anyone ever made like a Keyblade Master base or prestige class based of Kingdom Hearts.. preferably Kingdom Hearts 2?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 10:21 AM
Probably an Aberration.

Neko
2007-04-12, 10:30 AM
Any reason why? I only ask cause the outsider and aberation I dont understand as well. And cool new avatar

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 10:46 AM
Outsider is generally reserved for extraplanar creatures, like demons, devils, archons, etc., while Aberration is reserved for creatures that--while unnatural--come from the Prime Material.

Neko
2007-04-12, 10:50 AM
Got ya. That makes sense... I guess. So whats up with the Native outsiders than?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 10:52 AM
Native Outsiders have their origins on other planes, but are so adapted to the Prime Material that they're native now.

Mechanically, Native Outsiders can't be banished, since there's nowhere to banish them to.

Neko
2007-04-12, 10:57 AM
Ah got ya. Anyways.. the naga's in the MM1 are aberations and they're probably the closest thing in the manuels to it.

Tormsskull
2007-04-12, 12:55 PM
First, thanks to Kultrum & Fax for Mental Stiffness and Arcane Mind Block respectively. I think Arcane Mind Block is more what I am looking for, but Mental Stiffness gave me an idea as well.

However, on to my next request (another spell). I'd like a curse type of spell that, assuming the targeted caster fails the save (I'm thinking Will save) they must make a new save everytime after that they attempt to cast any kind of spell.

So basically:
Wizard A cast's unamed spell on Wizard B.
Wizard B fails save.
Wizard B tries to cast a spell. Due to the unamed spell affecting him he must make another Will save or suffer some kind of effect.

I was thinking maybe like a small chart of random strange effects that can happen to the caster who has fallen under this curse, but I'm not sure what I should put on it.

Ok, whoever wants to take a crack at it, thanks in advance.

Autarch
2007-04-12, 03:21 PM
Tormsskull-

Here is a possibility. I balanced it by comparing its effects with Bestow Curse. Of course, my small list of 10 effects could be changed fairly easily, so long as the new effects are in line with those on the table.

Curse of Wild Magic
Universal [chaotic]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close (25'+5'/2levels)
Effect: Target is affected by random effects whenever casting spells
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will
Spell Resistance: Yes

On a failed save, the target of this spell loses control over their spellcasting. Any time they cast a spell, or use a spell completion item such as a scroll, there is a chance that an unintended effect will be produced, rather than the spell they were casting. Whenever the target casts a spell, roll on this table to determine the effect:

{table]d10 | Effect
1 | Spell Functions Normally
2 | Spell does not function
3 | Caster switches places with their target
4 | Caster floats 1' in the air1
5 | Caster is affected by baleful polymorph2
6 | Caster laughs uncontrollably3
7 | Castor's voice switches with target's4
8 | Random nearby tiny object animates5
9 | Caster transforms into closest humanoid6
10 | Magical explosion deals 4d6 to caster
[/table]1: cannot move horizontally without touching the ground or another object.
2: for 1round/level of spell being cast, no save, mental abilities unaffected.
3: cannot perform actions for 1 round/level of spell being cast.
4: cannot use verbal component spells for 1 min/level of spell being cast.
5: tiny object becomes animated object, attacks the caster until defeated.
6: nearest humanoid no larger than medium, physical attributes unchanged.

All effects have a duration of 1 minute per level of the spell that the target was attempting to cast unless otherwise noted by the description. Every effect on this table occurs instead of the spell that was being cast by the cursed creature.
This curse cannot be dispelled, but may be removed by break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, wish.

Vaynor
2007-04-12, 07:54 PM
Hmm, this is an awesome thread. Can we request classes?

If so, I need a clerical warrior for my homebrew world. My thought was like a paladin, with a little bit of cleric thrown in. As I am making completely new classes, don't worry about making it similar to a paladin or the like.

I mostly just didn't know how to put it together in a good way.

Thanks in advance.

Autarch
2007-04-12, 09:31 PM
Hmm, this is an awesome thread. Can we request classes?

If so, I need a clerical warrior for my homebrew world. My thought was like a paladin, with a little bit of cleric thrown in. As I am making completely new classes, don't worry about making it similar to a paladin or the like.

I mostly just didn't know how to put it together in a good way.

Thanks in advance.
Before I start, I'd first like to say that I like your Abarat avatar.
~~~
The cleric is already pretty warlike, with a 3/4 BaB progression and armor proficiencies. But I guess if you really wanted a 'holy warrior' deal, there are plenty of changes you could make.

First, you have two choices: Full BaB with a small amount of divine magic, or 3/4 BaB with more combat oriented abilities and a moderate amount of divine magic. I don't have time to go 'all-out' with tables and everything, but I'll do an overview of the process for one of the choices I just identified.

Full BaB: I am going to look at the ranger and paladin classes as my main guides. The War Cleric will have a number of spells per day equal to the number of spells/day that a ranger or paladin gets. The key ability for the War Cleric's spells will be wisdom. They will have their own spell-list, with many spells drawn from the standard cleric's spell-list, and the more combat oriented domain spells. The spells will be good at improving the combat abilities of the War Cleric and her allies, and will have a good selection of protective magic as well. Some divination spells, like Status, will be included, as well as many of the heal/inflict spells. Since I've decided that there will be few spells that directly deal damage, I'm going to have to come up with spells for negative energy wielding and/or evil clerics that are as good as the positive energy spells available to the war cleric.

They will have good fortitude and will saves, and poor reflex saves. They will be proficient in simple weapons, and light to heavy armor and shields. They will gain 1d10 hit points/level, and 2 skill points/level. They will not be able to turn/rebuke undead. Instead, they will have an ability similar to a Paladin's smite evil; negative energy War Clerics can choose at first level to smite good, law(if chaotic), or chaos(if lawful). Positive energy clerics can smite evil, law(if chaotic), or chaos(if lawful). This ability improves the same way the paladin's does.

Change the paladin's ability Divine Grace to use wisdom rather than charisma, and give it to the War Cleric.

When a paladin would gain Lay on Hands, the War Cleric gains Channel Positive/Negative energy. Positive energy War Clerics heal just as a paladin 'lays on hands', negative energy War Clerics deal negative energy damage instead. To damage anyone with this skill, the War Cleric must succeed on a melee touch attack; there is no save.

the paladin's ability Aura of Courage is given to the War Cleric at the same level. Call it Divine Aura; positive energy War Clerics give allies +4 to saves vs fear, negative energy War Clerics give enemies -4 to saves against fear.

At third level, they should get the paladin's Divine Health

At fourth, they can turn/rebuke undead as a standard cleric three levels lower.

Instead of a special mount, the War Cleric will receive a mount appropriate for their deity. The mount still has the statistics of a heavy warhorse or warpony (for small characters). A War Cleric who reveres a deity of nature might receive a powerful stag, and a War Cleric who worships a deity of death and decay might receive a feral looking beast with rotting flesh. This mount gains power as a paladin's mount does.

Finally, a positive energy War Cleric would gain remove disease, but a negative energy War Cleric would gain bestow disease instead.

Whew, that was longer than I’d planned. I was going to outline a 3/4 BaB War Cleric, but I don’t really have time to do it now.

Vaynor
2007-04-12, 10:18 PM
Before I start, I'd first like to say that I like your Abarat avatar.
~~~
The cleric is already pretty warlike, with a 3/4 BaB progression and armor proficiencies. But I guess if you really wanted a 'holy warrior' deal, there are plenty of changes you could make.

First, you have two choices: Full BaB with a small amount of divine magic, or 3/4 BaB with more combat oriented abilities and a moderate amount of divine magic. I don't have time to go 'all-out' with tables and everything, but I'll do an overview of the process for one of the choices I just identified.

Full BaB: I am going to look at the ranger and paladin classes as my main guides. The War Cleric will have a number of spells per day equal to the number of spells/day that a ranger or paladin gets. The key ability for the War Cleric's spells will be wisdom. They will have their own spell-list, with many spells drawn from the standard cleric's spell-list, and the more combat oriented domain spells. The spells will be good at improving the combat abilities of the War Cleric and her allies, and will have a good selection of protective magic as well. Some divination spells, like Status, will be included, as well as many of the heal/inflict spells. Since I've decided that there will be few spells that directly deal damage, I'm going to have to come up with spells for negative energy wielding and/or evil clerics that are as good as the positive energy spells available to the war cleric.

They will have good fortitude and will saves, and poor reflex saves. They will be proficient in simple weapons, and light to heavy armor and shields. They will gain 1d10 hit points/level, and 2 skill points/level. They will not be able to turn/rebuke undead. Instead, they will have an ability similar to a Paladin's smite evil; negative energy War Clerics can choose at first level to smite good, law(if chaotic), or chaos(if lawful). Positive energy clerics can smite evil, law(if chaotic), or chaos(if lawful). This ability improves the same way the paladin's does.

Change the paladin's ability Divine Grace to use wisdom rather than charisma, and give it to the War Cleric.

When a paladin would gain Lay on Hands, the War Cleric gains Channel Positive/Negative energy. Positive energy War Clerics heal just as a paladin 'lays on hands', negative energy War Clerics deal negative energy damage instead. To damage anyone with this skill, the War Cleric must succeed on a melee touch attack; there is no save.

the paladin's ability Aura of Courage is given to the War Cleric at the same level. Call it Divine Aura; positive energy War Clerics give allies +4 to saves vs fear, negative energy War Clerics give enemies -4 to saves against fear.

At third level, they should get the paladin's Divine Health

At fourth, they can turn/rebuke undead as a standard cleric three levels lower.

Instead of a special mount, the War Cleric will receive a mount appropriate for their deity. The mount still has the statistics of a heavy warhorse or warpony (for small characters). A War Cleric who reveres a deity of nature might receive a powerful stag, and a War Cleric who worships a deity of death and decay might receive a feral looking beast with rotting flesh. This mount gains power as a paladin's mount does.

Finally, a positive energy War Cleric would gain remove disease, but a negative energy War Cleric would gain bestow disease instead.

Whew, that was longer than I’d planned. I was going to outline a 3/4 BaB War Cleric, but I don’t really have time to do it now.

Thanks, I'm glad someone recognized the avatar. :smallsmile:

Ok, I like your ideas, pretty much what I was going for. Just a few things: they all worship the same god in my homebrew. So it will be a standardized mount (this is a god of air and lightning and so on, so I was thinking at a higher level allow a pegasus). Oh, and good thing they wouldn't get turn undead, seeing as they don't exist in my world. :smallwink:
Oh, and I was looking more for a 3/4 BAB more spells kind of thing, not so much that it's almost a paladin. There is no evil version. Sorry. :smallsmile:

Valairn
2007-04-16, 09:00 AM
A PrC that builds off the mystic theurge at high levels and gives them some archmage type abilities, or some sort of way to burn spell slots for metamagic. And continues their caster progression for both cleric/wizard.

Autarch
2007-04-16, 09:05 AM
Vaynor- I'm almost positive I've seen a class that matches what you want, I'll edit this post as soon as I find a link to it.

Valairn- As a fan of the Mystic Theurge, I'd love to help you, but I'm no expert of high level play.

Valairn
2007-04-16, 09:25 AM
I'm sure I could do it myself, I just am busy lol.

Legoman
2007-04-16, 11:29 AM
A PrC that builds off the mystic theurge at high levels and gives them some archmage type abilities, or some sort of way to burn spell slots for metamagic. And continues their caster progression for both cleric/wizard.

Ask, and ye shall recieve: A lot of nifty abilities, but you give up 9th level spells. (As per Ultimate Magus)

Deus Haptus Arcanist
Requirements:
Skills: 18 Ranks: Spellcraft, 12 Ranks: Knowledge(Religion), Knowledge(Arcana)
Feats: Skill Focus: Spellcraft, Spell Focus in one school of magic, Three Metamagic feats, one of which must be a Divine Metamagic feat.
Spellcasting:Ability to cast 6th level Arcane Spells, Ability to cast 6th level Divine Spells

Skills: 2 + Int Modifier
{table]Level | BaB | Fort | Reflex | Will | Special | Spells
1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Magical Reach, Divine Preparation (1) | +1 level of lower-level spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Magical Power +1| +1 level of existing Divine, Arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | AEther burst, Divine Preparation (2) | +1 level of existing Divine, Arcane spellcasting class
4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Magical Power +2, Sun-Haptus Casting | +1 level of lower-level spellcasting class
5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Arcane Channeling, Divine Preparation (3) |+1 Level of Arcane, Divine spellcasting class[/table]

Spell Progression: At 2,3, and 5th levels, the Deus Arcanist gains a level of spell progression in both her Divine and Arcane spellcasting class. At levels 1 and 4 however, she gains a level of spell progression only in the spellcasting class where her caster level is the lowest. (That is, the class she has the least amount of progression) If, upon gaining her 1st or 4th level both her divine and arcane spellcasting classes are at equal progression, she must choose one.

Magical Reach (Su): Through intense study, the Deus Arcanist gains the ability to project his magical energies - Any spell she casts that has a range of Touch may instead be given a 30-foot range by spending a Turn/Rebuke undead attempt, and expending a 4th level spell slot.

Divine Preparation (Su): The Deus Arcanist's power is great, but the amount of magical coding that her brain and soul must channel to ready that power for the day is immense - in order to keep her power in check, she must expend one Turn/Rebuke attempt during her morning time of prayer and spell preparation.
At 3rd Level, she must expend two Turn/Rebuke attempts.
At 5th Level, she must expend three Turn/Rebuke attempts.

Magical Power (Su):
By studying both aspects of magic, the Deus Arcanist is able to streamline her channeling of the AEther for the most potent effect. Her Caster-Level for all spells increases by one. At fourth level, this bonus increases to 2.

AEther Burst (Su):
Though releasing raw magical energy is dangerous, the Deus Arcanist's ability to channel divine energy allows her to use it as a conduit for the raw arcane power stored within her - she may, as a Standard Action, expend one Turn/Rebuke undead attempt and expend one prepared spell to create a lance of magical energy. This is treated as a ranged touch attack with a range of Long (400 ft + 40/Level of Deus Arcanist) that deals 1d6 points of damage per class level of the Deus Arcanist, plus 1d6 points of damage per level of the spell sacrificed.

Half of this damage is Holy if you Turn Undead, or Unholy if you Rebuke Undead. The other half is raw magical energy (Untyped).

Sun-Haptus Casting (Su)
The Deus Arcanist has gained the ability to empower her spells spontaneously, through the infusion of one type of magic into the other.

The Deus Arcanist may use any of her Divine Metamagic feats by, instead of paying for 1 Turn Attempt + 1/Level Adjustment, instead expending a Turn/Rebuke attempt and sacrificing a spell of level equal to the adjustment.

If casting a Divine spell, the Deus Arcanist may choose between the standard method of using Divine Metamagic, and this method.

The Deus Arcanist can use this method of employing Divine Metamagic on Arcane spells as well as divine.

If the spell being cast is Divine, the spell being sacrificed must be Arcane, and vice-versa.

For example: A Deus Arcanist can Quicken an Arcane spell by spending 1 Turn Attempt, and expending a prepared Divine Spell. She may also Maximize a Divine Spell by spending a Turn attempt and expending a third level Arcane Spell.

Arcane Channeling: (Su) During her morning time of preparation, the Deus Arcanist may chose to 'lose' some arcane spell slots, in favor of gaining extra Turn/Rebuke attempts. This is an arduous process, but it becomes easier the more arcane energy she devotes to this purpose.

She may lose, at maximum, one spell of each level she may cast, but she may only sacrifice a spell to this effect if she has already sacrificed all of her higher level spells.

For example, she may sacrifice one 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, and 4th level spell to gain 5 attempts (If 8th level spells are the highest she may cast), but she may not sacrifice an 8th, 6th, and 5th level slots, because she did not first sacrifice a 7th level slot, and thus, must sacrifice one of those before being able to spend a 6th and 5th level slot.

Valairn
2007-04-16, 11:55 AM
Thanks, that's pretty much perfect.

Khantalas
2007-04-16, 12:09 PM
I would like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27894&highlight=Channeler) to be made better.

As long as you keep the servant of the divine, channels negative and positive energy concepts and generally keep to the theme, you can add whatever you see fit. Just remember that negative energy is chaotic, while positive energy is lawful.

Legoman
2007-04-16, 12:35 PM
A base class is a bit expansive for me to re-vamp right now (Especially since I'm in English class right now... ssh!) but I'd suggest some of the following:

1) Maybe this guy a charisma-based divine caster, with the Bard's spell progression, but casting off the cleric spell list.

2) Allow channeled healing/inflicting - 1d8/turn attempt used, that increases with level to 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, etc.

3) A sort of re-roll mechanic, check the Actualist in my Sig. X numbers of turn attempts, and you can make/let your friends/allies roll Y number of dice and take the best/worst.

4) Crack open the Book of Exalted Deeds and that of Vile Darkness - allow turn attempts to emulate feats from those books.

slapdash
2007-04-16, 12:38 PM
Anyone able to help with my healing class? I am not trying to be a nag, just would like to use it for a game I may be starting sometime soon. If no one is interested, that's cool.

Legoman
2007-04-16, 12:56 PM
Anyone able to help with my healing class? I am not trying to be a nag, just would like to use it for a game I may be starting sometime soon. If no one is interested, that's cool.

Behold: Healbot! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10835

It was originally on the old forums, so the table and formatting is sort of broked.

Be forewarned, might get slightly boring to play...

EDIT: Make him a warforged NPC for extra healbotting! :D

Khantalas
2007-04-16, 12:57 PM
A base class is a bit expansive for me to re-vamp right now (Especially since I'm in English class right now... ssh!) but I'd suggest some of the following:

1) Maybe this guy a charisma-based divine caster, with the Bard's spell progression, but casting off the cleric spell list.

2) Allow channeled healing/inflicting - 1d8/turn attempt used, that increases with level to 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, etc.

3) A sort of re-roll mechanic, check the Actualist in my Sig. X numbers of turn attempts, and you can make/let your friends/allies roll Y number of dice and take the best/worst.

4) Crack open the Book of Exalted Deeds and that of Vile Darkness - allow turn attempts to emulate feats from those books.

But I really need it to be a non-caster. Because there are very few casters in the setting. And with good reason.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 12:57 PM

I'll see what I can do for it tonight. Never mind. Pwnt by Legoman.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 02:06 PM
I'd like to request assistance (again) for my Bard Redux (http://tinyurl.com/25uf2z).

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 02:35 PM
I'd like to request assistance (again) for my Bard Redux (http://tinyurl.com/25uf2z).

We'll see what we can do for that.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 02:40 PM
Sorry to be a nag. *sheepish smile*

Ranis
2007-04-16, 03:04 PM
Alright, I have a big request. I need a BBEG worthy of an epic-level party of 10 people.

I need a poltergeist-ghost who has lived for eons. He has some moderate spellcasting ability, but his true strength lies in his ability to posess any corporeal creature that has a soul, and bend it to his will.

When posessing a creature, he has the power over souls (Souls as Power variant). He can imprison souls as a racial ability as per Soul Trap spells and the like, and is fully capable of using any spell-like qualities and abilities of anything he has posessed. He is currently posessing an 18th level wizard.

I need the CR of this ghost to be around 30-35, so he needs to have the ability to leave/exit any creature with an extremely high will save to negate, as well as many spells/will that he has acquired over the eight thousand years he has lived. These abilities should function even when he is possessing and when he is possessing a creature.

Alignment: Lawful Evil.

Anyone up to this huge task shall receive a cookie of monumental proportions. Thanks!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 03:16 PM
Alright, I have a big request. I need a BBEG worthy of an epic-level party of 10 people.

I need a poltergeist-ghost who has lived for eons. He has some moderate spellcasting ability, but his true strength lies in his ability to posess any corporeal creature that has a soul, and bend it to his will.

When posessing a creature, he has the power over souls (Souls as Power variant). He can imprison souls as a racial ability as per Soul Trap spells and the like, and is fully capable of using any spell-like qualities and abilities of anything he has posessed. He is currently posessing an 18th level wizard.

I need the CR of this ghost to be around 30-35, so he needs to have the ability to leave/exit any creature with an extremely high will save to negate, as well as many spells/will that he has acquired over the eight thousand years he has lived. These abilities should function even when he is possessing and when he is possessing a creature.

Alignment: Lawful Evil.

Anyone up to this huge task shall receive a cookie of monumental proportions. Thanks!

You may be better served with the Monster Advancement Request Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19720).

slapdash
2007-04-16, 04:12 PM
Not really what I was looking for - what I wanted was for a sympathetic healer, I detailed it earlier in this thread. Thanks though.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 04:13 PM
My request was for a sympathetic healer, I detailed it earlier in this thread. Thanks though.

Guess I'm still up then.

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-16, 04:27 PM
In my sig is a more martial divinist (in my campaigns clerics are cloistered). Think of him as a divine Bard(custom spell list)/dragon shaman, with a dash of 40k chaplain flavor(it was a 40k chaplian in the origonal form on the wizrds forums). The litianies arelike a scalable bardic music, so he is a support with limited combat capabities(3/4BAB, Med armor, 1d8 HD). Right now I am working on adding/editing litanies and auras (he doesn't have enought for level 20, runs out in upper teens). Any help from this thread would be greatly apperciated.

Eleven
2007-04-16, 08:05 PM
Im not sure if this is the right place to look for this sort of thing, but i have created a time- travelling sort of race, and i was looking for some inspiration on how to fit them into my camaign.

- They have a very low constitution and high ac (think matrix) as well as some time like abilities.
- The world was just in a huge arcane war preceded by centuries of domination by a big bad psionic guy. I'd get into more detail, but i have french homework.

Thanks

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-21, 12:15 AM
Not neccisarily looking for any "Homebrew Handouts", but I would, however, greatly appreciate some input from someone as skilled as you. So, here's two quick questions?

First, any thoughts on how to balance a Ranged combat character VS a Melee combat character, or do you think the base rulebooks do a fine job, assuming equal BAB?

Second, what would be the minimum levels you'd give out class features that provide Extroadinary Fast Healing 1, and later on one that improves that to a Weaker form of regeneration that provides protection from amputation and has instant death spells drop you to -9 as opposed to dead, but doesn't do the whole "All damage is nonlethal" and "You can only be killed by certain damage types" things?

BDO
2007-04-21, 05:07 PM
Hope I'm in the right spot here. I've got a problem with creating creature templates. How do you set the level adjustment? Is there any rule for this? In which way are the stat boosts / special abilities / spell-like abilities rated, concerning the level adjustment?

I'd like to add some templates to our ongoing campaign, preferable ones that can be acquired and haven't to be inherited. Anyone here with thoughts about that?

Thanks in advance, your german geek. ^^

Legoman
2007-04-21, 05:20 PM
Hope I'm in the right spot here. I've got a problem with creating creature templates. How do you set the level adjustment? Is there any rule for this? In which way are the stat boosts / special abilities / spell-like abilities rated, concerning the level adjustment?

I'd like to add some templates to our ongoing campaign, preferable ones that can be acquired and haven't to be inherited. Anyone here with thoughts about that?

Thanks in advance, your german geek. ^^

Peruse Savage Species at your local game-store, I think that's pretty much the entire premise of the book. I don't think it's 3.5 updated, but it shouldn't matter too much.

Second, what would be the minimum levels you'd give out class features that provide Extroadinary Fast Healing 1, and later on one that improves that to a Weaker form of regeneration that provides protection from amputation and has instant death spells drop you to -9 as opposed to dead, but doesn't do the whole "All damage is nonlethal" and "You can only be killed by certain damage types" things?Something that gives death ward I'd probably put at or just above the level at which death ward becomes available... probably something like 1/week around 8th level? At that level, the party cleric can cast that anyway, and has been able to for a level, so I'd call that fair. Maybe increase to 1/day at 16th?

As for Fast Healing 1.... That's a bit more dicey, as it basically means that they can go into every encounter with full hit points.

My advice? Make it something like X times/day, they can give themselves the effect of a Vigor-type spell - just like buying a wand of eternal vigor for 820gp, but it's a class feature instead. Upgrades to fast healing 3, and then 5 with level, but never goes above, say, 2/day. (Which means that they have to fight at least one encounter a day using resources (HP, GP from wands, spells, etc)) Give it out first at third level, and then increase every, say, fifth level after that.

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-21, 06:03 PM
There is an unofficial guideline that helps, Yabba the What's Feature points.
The document is located here, in one of the links http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=9997225&postcount=223

BDO
2007-04-22, 04:15 AM
Peruse Savage Species at your local game-store, I think that's pretty much the entire premise of the book. I don't think it's 3.5 updated, but it shouldn't matter too much.

Already got that from a friend. It only states already done templates, and shows you how to apply them. But no text about creating your own template. Or have I been looking in all the wrong places?

Edit: Found the monster creation part. In solving this problem, anotherone showed it's ugly head: They refer to a "Table 2-7" from the old 3.0 DMG. This one isn't included anymore in the 3.5 Edition. It dealt with unbalanced attribute scores. Ca anyone help me out with this one?

Legoman
2007-04-24, 12:00 AM
Just use Chapter 2 about creating new monsters to gauge templates - it should be the same things to take into consideration.

Check used book stores for the 3.0 DMG - there's tons of them at the local store - even if you don't feel like paying the 10 dollar price tag, no reason you can't look up the table, jot it down, then leave.

BDO
2007-04-24, 07:57 AM
Just use Chapter 2 about creating new monsters to gauge templates - it should be the same things to take into consideration.

Check used book stores for the 3.0 DMG - there's tons of them at the local store - even if you don't feel like paying the 10 dollar price tag, no reason you can't look up the table, jot it down, then leave.

Nothing easier than that, should one think... But over here, in goode ole Germany, the only thing sold in second hand book shops ist at least 20 years old and waaaay to expensive to be of any use.

That said, we only have 2 (in words: two!) role playing stores in the Stuttgart city area that are worth bothering. Problem is, the one isn't all that well-sorted and the other dislikes me because I recently started an online miniatures business and am in direct competition with them. Not to mention that german shop owners dislike to sell used goods...

Is there any chance to find the table buried deep in the SRD of D&D? Or is it simply gone? My only question is how to balance overall attribute bonuses by adding a level adjustment... When do you add +1 LA? When the overall attribute bonus (after subtracting any malus) exceeds 2, 4, 6 or 8? And what are the iterations for the second point of LA?

Sorry for bugging you guys this much, but you're my only trustworthy source... (Do never ask a player of yous what LA you should apply...:smalleek: )

Legoman
2007-04-24, 01:02 PM
Nothing easier than that, should one think... But over here, in goode ole Germany, the only thing sold in second hand book shops ist at least 20 years old and waaaay to expensive to be of any use.

That said, we only have 2 (in words: two!) role playing stores in the Stuttgart city area that are worth bothering. Problem is, the one isn't all that well-sorted and the other dislikes me because I recently started an online miniatures business and am in direct competition with them. Not to mention that german shop owners dislike to sell used goods...

Is there any chance to find the table buried deep in the SRD of D&D? Or is it simply gone? My only question is how to balance overall attribute bonuses by adding a level adjustment... When do you add +1 LA? When the overall attribute bonus (after subtracting any malus) exceeds 2, 4, 6 or 8? And what are the iterations for the second point of LA?

Sorry for bugging you guys this much, but you're my only trustworthy source... (Do never ask a player of yous what LA you should apply...:smalleek: )

I'll stop by the local half-price-books and transcribe the table for you on my way home..... unless one my roomates has it tucked away somewhere, but from the top of my head, it's not as simple as the net modifier. For example, Half-Orc trades +2 Str for -2 Int and -2 Cha, because Str is seen as more valuable. Likewise, the 0-LA Aasimar has a +2 Cha, and some other special qualities, but no LA. (Upon taking your first level in the Aasimar class, you get +2 Wis, and the rest of the class features, and thus complete your LA) (Source. (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a))

Mount
2007-04-28, 04:03 AM
OK, I haven't played D&D since... uhm.. 1st Ed. :smalleek:

So I have two monsters I'd like to see, but I'm woefully rusty as far as the mechanics of things, most especially in regards to 3.5 rules.

I was inspired by the "Monsters in the Playground" thread, and thus say to whomever helps flesh them out, you are fully welcome to submit the critter as your own creation, since I'm only providing a seed.

First: a funny creature -- The Beanbag Cat, created by a particularly lazy wizard who wished for a familiar without the animal-maintenance hassles.
The Beanbag Cat is an intelligent, legless, rather pear-shaped feline which may exhibit any coloration found in the common housecat (though they tend to mainly be orange tabbies, oddly). They do shed, but once separated from the Cat, the hair almost immediately decomposes into a pleasant-smelling vapor. They have the capability to squirm along, wormlike, if they absolutely HAVE to move, but they generally choose not to, as they feel it's undignified. Beanbag Cats do not eat or excrete, instead subsisting on the positive mental 'runoff' produced by happy humanoid brains. To this end, they have developed the supernatural ability to induce a feeling of wellbeing and contentment in nearby (20') humanoids, by purring. The purring is resistable (but who'd want to?), is more effective (thus more nutritious) on a target with more intelligence, and is a sonic effect (and therefore useless against someone who is deafened). If a Beanbag Cat is sequestered away from humanoids, it will die of starvation. In the extremely unlikely event that a Beanbag Cat is involved in combat, it has a standard housecat's bite attack, but will more likely choose to use a spell-like ability which resembles Sanctuary (makes people ignore the caster for a number of rounds) As a familiar, it grants a small bonus to diplomacy, and improved night vision. Possibly, as a Beanbag Cat gains HD, it may learn a line-of-sight short-range teleport (so it can get on top of the bookshelf) or a mild compulsion spell ("PET ME!").

And a serious one: Razorflies. They're a swarm creature created when normal insect life came in contact with magical waste products. Each fly has negligible HP (1/16? Less?) but since they are a swarm, they come with damage reduction (or immunity) to piercing or slashing weapons. The mouth-parts and legs of the flies are incredibly hard and sharp, and the flies are sanguivores, feeding on the blood of their victims. While they are mindless (thus immune to mind-affecting magic) like most insects, they do possess a rudimentary hive intelligence, and act with an unnerving cunning. Given the choice between 4 targets dressed in cloth, leather, mail, or plate, they will attack the "softest" targets first. In combat, they fly en masse at a single target, whirling about it in a tight column. Each member of the swarm darts in, and slashes the victim's exposed skin, and the remainder of the cloud feeds from the blood that spurts or drips from the target. Each wound individually is painful, but relatively minor -- much like a shallow papercut. However, as each swarm can contain hundreds or thousands of flies, the net effect is that the victim is very quickly stripped of flesh, as if he were being attacked by pirahnas. The end result is a skeleton with very small gobbets of flesh still attached, and a small heap of dessicated meat-flakes. Spellcasters are incredibly vulnerable to a swarm of razorflies: The damage is painful enough to potentially interrupt casting, and extended exposure to the swarm will result in the hands being stripped of flesh, rendering them useless for casting spells with somatic components. Armor provides some small protection: Cloth or leather armor is destroyed by the cloud, slashed to confetti at the rate of 1 AC/round (for cloth) or 1/2 AC/round (for leather) that the victim is engulfed by the swarm. Metal armor is strong enough to withstand the swarm without being destroyed, but mail armor provides little protection, as the flies can individually worm their way through the links. Mail armor will reduce the damage per round inflicted, and scale or plate will reduce it even further (however, consider the chilling ramifications of an open-faced chain coif, or the holes in a plate visor necessary for vision....) As the razorflies are insects, they are vulnerable to cold, taking extra damage from it. Fire does normal damage, electricity does reduced damage (the swarm doesn't provide a good conductive medium). Sonic spells disorient the flies, slowing or stunning them. Though most adventurers would wisely choose to avoid these terrifying creatures entirely, the sharp, durable legs and mandibles are useful and valuable. They can be coarsely ground to create a dust, which if inhaled causes damage to the throat and lungs, silencing the victim and causing Constitution damage (from the shortness of breath and bleeding) or which may cause Blindness if it contacts the eyes. With access to a very skilled weaver, the legs can also be woven with silk to create razorcloth. This could be used to create cloth armors that damage attackers, or cloth weapons (for example, a net or garrote) that do additional slashing damage. (Possibly the Mage Armor spell would be useful against these? I forget how much of the caster it covers, but if it's essentially full-body coverage, it might be able to negate the relatively small amount of damage-per-round)

2007-05-03, 11:08 PM
For anyone who wants to help with pricing/estimated power level of this item: how much should it cost, is it a worthwhile item, how would you improve it?

Black-tatter Cloak

Each day, the wearer of this ornate black cloak can detach up to ten 'tatters'- actually pieces of the cloaks' black fabric- and scatter them as he wishes (a free action); once scattered, these tatters fade into the surface they're placed on, appearing only as areas of slightly darker material.
Afterwards, the cloak's wearer can activate a tatter at any time he's within ten feet of it by speaking a command word; when so activated, the tatter expands into a 20ft radius globe of shadowy illumination, duplicating the effects of Deeper Darkness; this globe lasts for five rounds, then fades, whereupon the tatter returns to the cloak.
The cloak grants a bonus on hide checks equal to the number of tatters still attached to it; thus, a cloak with no tatters detached grants a +8 bonus, one with three detached +5, etc.
Any given tatter can be scattered and activated only once per day.

Thoughts?
I considered having the bonus apply to both hide and move silently, really...I also considered having it have a % chance to effect even creatures immune to magical darkness (by infusing the darkness with shadow-stuff, perhaps).

But yes. Feedback, please.

Priest_Sidran
2007-05-10, 02:11 AM
I do not suppose you are still taking requests, but if so I would like help writing a playable Djinn based race called the Jinnan, very mystical/magical race humanoid medium sized with some appropriate spell like abilities as per gnome (without being illusion of course. Thank you

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-10, 08:46 AM
So I have two monsters I'd like to see, but I'm woefully rusty as far as the mechanics of things, most especially in regards to 3.5 rules.

I was inspired by the "Monsters in the Playground" thread, and thus say to whomever helps flesh them out, you are fully welcome to submit the critter as your own creation, since I'm only providing a seed.

First: a funny creature -- The Beanbag Cat, created by a particularly lazy wizard who wished for a familiar without the animal-maintenance hassles.
The Beanbag Cat is an intelligent, legless, rather pear-shaped feline which may exhibit any coloration found in the common housecat (though they tend to mainly be orange tabbies, oddly). They do shed, but once separated from the Cat, the hair almost immediately decomposes into a pleasant-smelling vapor. They have the capability to squirm along, wormlike, if they absolutely HAVE to move, but they generally choose not to, as they feel it's undignified. Beanbag Cats do not eat or excrete, instead subsisting on the positive mental 'runoff' produced by happy humanoid brains. To this end, they have developed the supernatural ability to induce a feeling of wellbeing and contentment in nearby (20') humanoids, by purring. The purring is resistable (but who'd want to?), is more effective (thus more nutritious) on a target with more intelligence, and is a sonic effect (and therefore useless against someone who is deafened). If a Beanbag Cat is sequestered away from humanoids, it will die of starvation. In the extremely unlikely event that a Beanbag Cat is involved in combat, it has a standard housecat's bite attack, but will more likely choose to use a spell-like ability which resembles Sanctuary (makes people ignore the caster for a number of rounds) As a familiar, it grants a small bonus to diplomacy, and improved night vision. Possibly, as a Beanbag Cat gains HD, it may learn a line-of-sight short-range teleport (so it can get on top of the bookshelf) or a mild compulsion spell ("PET ME!").

And a serious one: Razorflies. They're a swarm creature created when normal insect life came in contact with magical waste products. Each fly has negligible HP (1/16? Less?) but since they are a swarm, they come with damage reduction (or immunity) to piercing or slashing weapons. The mouth-parts and legs of the flies are incredibly hard and sharp, and the flies are sanguivores, feeding on the blood of their victims. While they are mindless (thus immune to mind-affecting magic) like most insects, they do possess a rudimentary hive intelligence, and act with an unnerving cunning. Given the choice between 4 targets dressed in cloth, leather, mail, or plate, they will attack the "softest" targets first. In combat, they fly en masse at a single target, whirling about it in a tight column. Each member of the swarm darts in, and slashes the victim's exposed skin, and the remainder of the cloud feeds from the blood that spurts or drips from the target. Each wound individually is painful, but relatively minor -- much like a shallow papercut. However, as each swarm can contain hundreds or thousands of flies, the net effect is that the victim is very quickly stripped of flesh, as if he were being attacked by pirahnas. The end result is a skeleton with very small gobbets of flesh still attached, and a small heap of dessicated meat-flakes. Spellcasters are incredibly vulnerable to a swarm of razorflies: The damage is painful enough to potentially interrupt casting, and extended exposure to the swarm will result in the hands being stripped of flesh, rendering them useless for casting spells with somatic components. Armor provides some small protection: Cloth or leather armor is destroyed by the cloud, slashed to confetti at the rate of 1 AC/round (for cloth) or 1/2 AC/round (for leather) that the victim is engulfed by the swarm. Metal armor is strong enough to withstand the swarm without being destroyed, but mail armor provides little protection, as the flies can individually worm their way through the links. Mail armor will reduce the damage per round inflicted, and scale or plate will reduce it even further (however, consider the chilling ramifications of an open-faced chain coif, or the holes in a plate visor necessary for vision....) As the razorflies are insects, they are vulnerable to cold, taking extra damage from it. Fire does normal damage, electricity does reduced damage (the swarm doesn't provide a good conductive medium). Sonic spells disorient the flies, slowing or stunning them. Though most adventurers would wisely choose to avoid these terrifying creatures entirely, the sharp, durable legs and mandibles are useful and valuable. They can be coarsely ground to create a dust, which if inhaled causes damage to the throat and lungs, silencing the victim and causing Constitution damage (from the shortness of breath and bleeding) or which may cause Blindness if it contacts the eyes. With access to a very skilled weaver, the legs can also be woven with silk to create razorcloth. This could be used to create cloth armors that damage attackers, or cloth weapons (for example, a net or garrote) that do additional slashing damage. (Possibly the Mage Armor spell would be useful against these? I forget how much of the caster it covers, but if it's essentially full-body coverage, it might be able to negate the relatively small amount of damage-per-round)
I'm calling dibs on these critters.

Also, Fax, if you're still paying attention to this thread, if you could create a servant of Maleth counterpart to the Soulfire Guardian PrC, I'd be much obliged. I could always switch out the appropriate references, but that would just be boring. I'm thinking "Darkfire Tyrant" for a name, but if you can come up with something better, go for it.

Karma Guard
2007-05-14, 11:37 PM
I'd kinda like a few spells for my class.

Entice/Calm Riot, which should do what it says. It needs to require knowing the language of the people you want to make/stop rioting. Bonuses for Charisma and some situational DCs. Greater Entice/Calm Riot, which should work without any need for understanding between the Entice/Calmer and the rioters, and a harder DC...thingy. Because it's greater.

A Summon Mob spell. It works like Phantom Steed but with a Mob. Or something. The rules for a mob are in Cityscape, I'll post them if you'd like.

Awaken Zeitgeist, which is definitely a Level 9 spell and should 'cost' a lot, because it's calling an essentially immortal CR 23 Fey to life. Definitely don't control it, but you can talk to it. Zeitgeists are also from Cityscape.

Something that lets you pull silly city tricks. Think Jack Hawksmoor from the Authority.

And is there a Summon Vermin spell? What level is Summon Golem? Is there a Command Golem spell? *so many questions! :smallsigh:*

2007-05-15, 02:16 PM
I'd like some feedback on the following:

Gauntlets of Umbral Conversion
Price (Item Level): ????? (?)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 5+ (??)
Aura: Moderate Necromancy & Evocation
Activation: -
Weight: 1 lb.

These exceptionally fine gloves are of minuscule, shimmering adamantine rings, ornamented at knuckles and on the back of the palms with thin plates of engraved onyx.

These gauntlets grant their wearer a peculiar power over the life-force of a slain foe, transforming that energy into a concealing field of night-darkness. If you apply the gauntlets to the flesh of any creature who is dead or reduced to negative hit points (a standard action) you can absorb their dying breath and life into their eldritch material, coating your hands in a liquid orb of shadow.
For each Hit Die of the slain or dying creature, the gauntlets gain one charge- charges cannot be replenished in any other way. The gauntlets can hold a maximum of twenty charges at any one time (although you may drain up to the maximum from an opponent with more than twenty HD, expend some, and drain the rest). Charges can be used to produce the following basic effects:
{table=head]Charges|Effect
1|5ft. radius emanation of nonmagical darkness per charge.
2|5ft. radius of Darkness as the spell (per two charges).
3|5ft. radius Deeper Darkness, as the spell (per three charges).
[/table]
The wearer of the gauntlets can only summon one type of darkness at a time, they cannot 'mix and match'. Creating darkness of any kind using the gauntlets is a free action. The shadow thus evoked lasts thirty minutes or until dispelled. The following effects can also be employed to bolster the shadows thus created:
{table=head] Charges|Effect
1|Allows Darkness or Deeper Darkness to ignore the normal effects of one casting of a light spell of equal or higher level.
2|Doubles the duration the darkness lasts.
3|The Darkness effect automatically suppresses one magical light source brought into its radius; it cannot be re-lighted for the duration of the effect.
4|The Darkness deals 4d6 negative energy damage to any caster of a light spell within the radius of the effect, once.
[/table]
These latter effects are not cumulative; for instance, to bolster a Darkness effect against one casting of a light spell and double its duration would require three charges.
Gauntlets of Umbral Conversion operate properly only when used against creatures who are animated by positive energy; Undead are immune (since immediately destroyed upon reaching 0 hit points) as are constructs and other creatures animated by purely magical means.

So: thoughts? I'm not sure how to price it (I'm thinking command word deeper darkness, with maybe command word death knell thrown in, with a charges/day modifier). Have I left anything out in terms of how it's operated? Is everything clear in terms of the how and why it works? Is this a worthwhile, interesting item (assuming you have a reason to want to create darkness)?

Callix
2007-06-12, 07:35 AM
Shiny: on the cloak
command word Deeper Darkness 10/day is
Command word 3rd spell 5th caster
=3x5x1800=27000x2 for 10/day=54000gp
+10 untyped Hide bonus(treat as other typed, major improvement)
=10x10x2000x1.5(2nd ability on cloak)=300000gp! Halve for using up with charges. 150000gp.
So, by the book, this is a price of 204000 gp. This seems high at first, but +10 unnamed bonus is pretty powerful, and Deeper Darkness already affects anything immune to magic, and works against darkvision, and the darkness gives you the concealment required to sneak past people. It's a pretty awesome item for a cloak. 200000gp seems a tad pricey for me, but it's a ballpark figure.

Callix
2007-06-12, 07:53 AM
And for the gauntlets?
Include Deeper Darkness and Death Knell as prereq's.
Treat as staff.
375*(highest spell*caster lvl/charges+.75*next best spell*caster lvl/charges)
=375*(3*5/3+2*5/2)
=375*10
=3750gp
Staffs normally have 8th lvl casters, but this is a wondrous item
Staffs have 50 charges. This has 20. cost/2.
Staffs are used up. This recharges in a way that an adventurer has plenty of access to. Cost*2
Staffs are spell trigger. This is command word. Cost *2 (at least)
Bolstering abilities: 1 charge=countering spell resistance (not really worth counting)
2 charges = Extend Spell (+1 effective spell lvl, 2 charges, /2 tertiary ability)
3 charges = situational targeted Dispel Magic on light source. 3rd lvl spell, /2 for conditionality, /2 tertiary ability, /3 charges.
4 charges = 1d6/charge on attempted removal. Ad hoc, 2nd level equivalent, thanks to using 20% of item power. /2 tertiary.

For those: 375*(1*5/2 + 3*5/2/2/3 + 4*5/2/4)
=375*(2.5+1.25+2.5)
=2297=2300gp
Cost=(3750+2300)*2
=6050*2
=12100gp.
Again pricey, but not as bad.

Deme
2007-06-18, 10:02 PM
I thought I would do some thread revival to ask for some crunch for another race. They've got sort of a bizzare cat/fairy thing going on. they have wings, but not wings strong enough for actual flight, but instead, gliding. I don't feel like their other physical traits, except maybe their cat-like ears and paws (only on the legs), would effect the crunch much. No level adjustment, please.

stolenchariot
2007-06-18, 10:21 PM
I was really wondering if someone could at the very least give me a push in the right direction for a prestige class I thought about for the arcane dwarves in my in-construction setting. Basically, it's a 10-level arcane spellcasting class dealing chiefly with earth/ stone/ rune based spells. The class gets their powers by keying themself to one particular gem which they can uses as a focus for any spells requiring a focus.

Morty
2007-06-19, 02:50 PM
It's not really request, I've simply got a question to the author of the thread: will it be alright if I use your Complete Commoner variant for my NPC PrC?

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-19, 06:54 PM
For anyone who wants to help with pricing/estimated power level of this item: how much should it cost, is it a worthwhile item, how would you improve it?

Black-tatter Cloak

Each day, the wearer of this ornate black cloak can detach up to ten 'tatters'- actually pieces of the cloaks' black fabric- and scatter them as he wishes (a free action); once scattered, these tatters fade into the surface they're placed on, appearing only as areas of slightly darker material.
Afterwards, the cloak's wearer can activate a tatter at any time he's within ten feet of it by speaking a command word; when so activated, the tatter expands into a 20ft radius globe of shadowy illumination, duplicating the effects of Deeper Darkness; this globe lasts for five rounds, then fades, whereupon the tatter returns to the cloak.
The cloak grants a bonus on hide checks equal to the number of tatters still attached to it; thus, a cloak with no tatters detached grants a +8 bonus, one with three detached +5, etc.
Any given tatter can be scattered and activated only once per day.

Thoughts?
I considered having the bonus apply to both hide and move silently, really...I also considered having it have a % chance to effect even creatures immune to magical darkness (by infusing the darkness with shadow-stuff, perhaps).

But yes. Feedback, please.

Question:
What is the starting number of tatters, because you mention this:

"The cloak grants a bonus on hide checks equal to the number of tatters still attached to it; thus, a cloak with no tatters detached grants a +8 bonus, one with three detached +5, etc."

Is the ten tatters your initial tatters, or just how many you can take off in a day.

Another question:
do the tatters return if they haven't been used?

(also, it's really fun to write/speak the word "tatters")

Fax Celestis
2007-06-19, 06:55 PM
It's not really request, I've simply got a question to the author of the thread: will it be alright if I use your Complete Commoner variant for my NPC PrC?

That'd be fine.

Gralamin
2007-06-19, 07:14 PM
I would like to request a spell like Blaze from Diablo 2. (When activated, you leave fire behind where you walk. It does about the same damage as a Wall of Fire).
I would like it to be a touch spell instead however.

Thanks for reading.

lacesmcawesome
2007-06-19, 07:56 PM
For Gralamin:

Fire Trail (Evocation[fire])
Level Sor/Wiz 4
Components V, S, M
Casting Time 1 standard action
Range Personal (I know you asked for touch, but this seemed more appropriate)
Effect A trail of fire appears behind you as you move, only applicable when you are on the ground. The fire cannot harm the wielder.
Duration Concentration + 1 round per level, limit of 100 sq. ft.
Saving Throw none

You have set the stage for your grand entrance, beautiful music playing in the background, the finest curtains and paintings, large fires strewn about the room. Now it is time for you to finally arrive. You whisper the words of power, and trace an ancient rune on your skin. You feel power surge beneath your feet. As you step, flames appear, burning all in their wake. The onlookers are amazed at your power and grandeur. This is what you live for.

(Didn't know if you wanted damage or not, if so, then I guess it would be the standard 1d6 fire damage? didn't add spell resistance because I figured if it's a touch spell, you're not resisting it.)

Material component: Oxygen, for the fire to burn. No problem there.

The spell can be made using a permanency spell, though the 100 sq. ft. still applies, the trail will hit 100 square feet, and the fire at the beginning will stop burning so you can keep going.

(did that last part make sense?)

I hope that's what you wanted.

Neek
2007-06-19, 08:23 PM
For a campaign I'm going to run, I'm changing the scope of available divine casting classes. Druids are untouched, Rangers loose casting as per the UA variant, standard Clerics become Templars, and Cloistered Clerics become normal Clerics, and the Paladin becomes a ten-level prestige class. However, I prefer Fax's Paladin rather than UA 15-level PrC. Is there any possible way it can be converted to a 10 level PrC?

psychoticbarber
2007-06-21, 10:30 PM
I'm trying to put together an undead-style Cleric (I mean a Cleric who deals in undeath, not an undead Cleric) who is intended to be a Druid's worst nightmare. I've been looking through the PrCs I can find, but what I've found doesn't quite fit.

Basically what I'm going for is the perversion of nature into horrible, decaying things that disturb the mind.

If somebody could help me out or point me in the right direction, that would be awesome!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-06-21, 10:48 PM
psychoticbarber, what it sounds like you're really aiming for is the Blighter PrC, found in Masters of the Wild and possibly updated to 3.5. It's a Druid PrC, but it's one that uses undead and destroys nature, and sounds very much like what you mentioned. The Djinn would recommend taking a look at it.

-The Djinn

psychoticbarber
2007-06-22, 10:28 AM
The Djinn would recommend taking a look at it.

-The Djinn

Thanks very much! It's not one of the ones I've looked at, but I'm trying to track down a copy as of now. Any other suggestions from other people would be welcome as well, there's rarely such a thing as too much information!

[Edit: The updated version of the Blighter is in the Complete Divine]

Fax Celestis
2007-06-22, 10:53 AM
For a campaign I'm going to run, I'm changing the scope of available divine casting classes. Druids are untouched, Rangers loose casting as per the UA variant, standard Clerics become Templars, and Cloistered Clerics become normal Clerics, and the Paladin becomes a ten-level prestige class. However, I prefer Fax's Paladin rather than UA 15-level PrC. Is there any possible way it can be converted to a 10 level PrC?

Use the following table:

Paladin Progression
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Lay on Hands, Aura of Good | 0 | - | - | - | - | -
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Divine Grace, Mantle of Faith, Smite 1/day | 1 | - | - | - | -
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Mantle of Faith | 1 | 0 | - | - | -
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Smite 2/day | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Mantle of Faith | 2 | 1 | 0 | - | -
6th | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Smite 3/day | 2 | 2 | 0 | - | -
7th | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Mantle of Faith | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
8th | +8 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Smite 4/day | 3 | 2 | 2 | 0 | -
9th | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Mantle of Faith | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
10th | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Smite 5/day, Divine Transformation | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1[/table]

Alternatively, replace the casting with "+1 level of existing spellcasting class".