PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [E6] Crafting Magic Items--Single Use, Charged, Permanent [WIP]

johnbragg
2015-02-14, 10:10 AM
1. The E6 I want is low-magic in terms of power level, but not in terms of quantity. The prosperous village blacksmith should have gloves of fire resistance, you should find farmers with single-use items of calm animals, and healing potions for emergencies should be almost as common as fire extinguishers (maybe they're potions of cure minor wounds, but they help set a broken arm or soothe a burn until you someone can get the adept or the cleric.)

2. Powerful items should be rare and special.

3. Rolling dice is more fun than keeping track of item charges.

So there are three magic item crafting feats, whose names I'm not sold on. Create Single-Use Item, Create Charged Item, and Create Permanent Magic Item.

Create Single-Use ITem
The use of this feat, with a Spellcraft check of 15 + Spell Level, allows you to store one spell in an item. The item is often a potion, but it could be just about anything. (For RAW questions, the single-use item is a Use Activated item).

Create Charged Item
The use of this feat allows you to bind the spell into the item, enabling the user to cast the spell repeatedly. This is often used for wands, for magic weapons and armor, and for other frequently used magic items. This requires a Spellcraft check of 20 + Spell Level, as well as a craftsman to help work the magic into the item (Craft check 20 + SL).

Each time the spell is cast from the item, roll a d20. On a 1, the magic of the item is exhausted, and the item becomes nonmagical (but still masterwork.) On a roll of 20, the user benefits from a magic surge. The spell may be enhanced with a metamagic feat, or the spell cast at a higher caster level than normal, or be replaced by a higher level spell with the same purpose, at the DM's discretion.

Create Permanent ITem
The use of this feat allows the creation of permanent magic items of all kinds. This requires a Spellcraft check of DC 25 + Spell level for each spell, a Craft check for the item quality of DC 25 + Spell level of the highest level spell used. In addition, the item must be decorated with fine art, requiring another Craft, Profession or Perform check at the same DC.

(I'm not sure I made Permanent Items difficult enough to craft, but this is where I am right now.)