PDA

View Full Version : dealing with flying foes

elliott20
2007-04-06, 12:56 PM
Some of you may remember the Codzilla thread I've created a while back in preperation for dealing with an ogre mage with flight capabilities. (for those of you who are curious, I think I'm going to just cast each buff sequentially in the normal fashion so I don't break any rules.)

well, there was one thing I never really did get around to thinking about - dealing with the flight.

Here are my resources

level 9 cleric
domains protection and good
4 buffs (Divine Strength, Righteous Might, Divine Favor, and spiritual weapon, spiritual weapon is droppable if I run out of budget)

members in my party:
one rogue
one barbarian
(wizards are not allowed in this setting since supposedly arcane magic has yet to be discovered)

I get dispel magic as part of the cleric spell list by that point (albeit the lesser version of the dispel magics), but I felt that this method might not be that reliable and I need to come up with a contingency plan in case the need arises.

plan 1: rope or manacles of some sort.

Try to keep the guy grounded by somehow tying him to the floor via mundane chains and rope. This might be difficult though since last time I checked, rope use is cross class for a cleric.

plan 2: find some way to fly myself so I can follow him

this I don't know how to do with just core.

plan 3: AMF at arrow tip

Of course, this means I have to actually FIND somebody who can make these. Not an easy task. Not to mention I'll take away my own buffs with this. Not my favorite plan

Raum
2007-04-06, 01:07 PM
A scroll of Wind Walk would help if you can find one. If not, you may want to save your 5th level spells for summoning Air Elementals.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-06, 01:11 PM
Maybe he could try casting air walk?

Edit: Oh, right. The speed issue.

Lapak
2007-04-06, 01:12 PM
Dispel should be fine, as long you load up with more than one in case of failure. That aside, Air Walk isn't perfect but it's a level 4 spell.

Blinding him with Holy Smite as your level 4 Good Domain spell could cause him to at least hold still for a round, in the hope of not running into things.

If you're in a low-ish cavern, the size you get out of your buffs might pull him into reach.

monotone
2007-04-06, 01:17 PM
Downdraft. Spell Compendium pg. 72

Telonius
2007-04-06, 01:24 PM
A Tanglefoot Bag could help you if you catch him grounded to start with. Ogre Mages have pretty pathetic Reflex saves.

Invisibility Purge might come in handy. If not, get some method of detecting the mage when he goes invisible.

EDIT: Alternately, you can summon a flying creature to help get you up to the Mage. Summon V gets you a Celestial Griffon. You also get True Seeing at that level, so forget Invisibility Purge.