PDA

View Full Version : Spring attack charge

Cowboy_ninja
2007-04-06, 03:24 PM
this is a fairly straight-forward, yes or no question:

if i have spring attack can i charge, hit, and keep going assuming my path is clear?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-06, 03:32 PM
No. Charging is a full round action and completely unrelated to sneak attack. If you moved less than 30 ft. and killed an opponent you could move through him but it would be a move action not a charge action.

I'm betting this will be simu-

edit: Oh well, my joke failed.

martyboy74
2007-04-06, 03:35 PM
No. The text of Spring Attack specifies "an attack action", which is a specific type of standard action. A charge is a full-round action, and not at all the same as an attack action.

Gamebird
2007-04-06, 03:38 PM
Here's another vote for: No.

The charge action involves a straight line movement through unhindered space that ENDS when you threaten your opponent and are then able to swing and strike him. The charge ends there. Since the charge is a full round action that involves movement, the only things you can do in a round that involves a charge are free actions (a quickened spell, talking, gnashing your teeth, etc.)

That aside, I don't see any reason why, if your path is clear, you can't move up to someone, attack them and move away under the rules for Spring Attack. If you're moving past them, then in most cases they'd get an AoO because you're moving through multiple threatened squares. But if, say, you had a long spear and they had a sword, then you'd have reach on them. You could move up near them, attack, and then move on without them getting a counter attack because you never moved through any square they threatened.

Jasdoif
2007-04-06, 03:42 PM
What you may be looking for is Flipping Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tAIsESE3xc7MFFjrPPQ.html).

martyboy74
2007-04-06, 03:46 PM
free actions (a quickened spell, talking, gnashing your teeth, etc.)

Psst! Quickened spells are swift actions!

Cowboy_ninja
2007-04-06, 03:47 PM
What you may be looking for is Flipping Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tAIsESE3xc7MFFjrPPQ.html).

what book is flipping attack in?

also can anyone think of a way to charge and hit with each weapon? besides pounce. ......dual strike(complete adventurer)?

Person_Man
2007-04-06, 04:00 PM
Or you could be mounted and use Ride-by Attack.

Flipping Attack is homebrew from Rich.

Reckless Charge is from the Miniatures Handbook, and it sucks.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-04-06, 05:16 PM
what book is flipping attack in?

also can anyone think of a way to charge and hit with each weapon? besides pounce. ......dual strike(complete adventurer)?

to answer my own question two weapon pounce (PHBII) lets you charge with both weapons

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 10:42 PM
charging is full round, so you couldnt. also the point of a charge is that you pretty much come straight at them, not giving them a chance to attack, not go by them hoping to slash at them with a sword