PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Scale Armor

Hario
2007-04-06, 10:25 PM
I was looking at the quintessencial fighter 3rd edition book, and found the dragonscale armor pretty awesome, gains +10 AC as a medium armor and Dmg reduction 10 to the type its made of, I was wondering if they converted it to 3.5 and in which book, because I'd like to get a heavy armor of it, I'm trying to get the highest AC I can possibly get

Dhavaer
2007-04-06, 10:30 PM
Dragoncraft Armour, in the draconomicon. Resistance 5, -2 to armour check penalties, counts as one type lighter. It requires a special feat to make, and is nonmagical.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 10:36 PM
if your going for high AC try battle smith dwarven defender with heavy armor spec and TWF with two shields and rings of protection/ammy nat armor

Hario
2007-04-06, 10:41 PM
if your going for high AC try battle smith dwarven defender with heavy armor spec and TWF with two shields and rings of protection/ammy nat armor Trust me I got my build all out, I'm maxing my ac because I'm using a 2 handed weapon so I don't have the sheild bonus so I need the best armor possible

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-06, 10:57 PM
Trust me I got my build all out, I'm maxing my ac because I'm using a 2 handed weapon so I don't have the sheild bonus so I need the best armor possible
Get a dancing shield.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-07, 05:18 AM
Get a dancing shield.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Dang I hate the idea of those things!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-07, 05:34 AM
Yeah, Animated Shields are teh lame. Effective, though.

Consider Dwarven Plate, from Races of Stone. Basically, you're the fantasy equivalent of an M1 Abrams. Requires a feat to wear properly, though.

Ikkitosen
2007-04-07, 06:01 AM
Or ask your DM to allow something that gives a shield bonus to your ac - maybe the same price as bracers of armour since shield and armour bonuses seem to be considered to be roughly equivalent.

Amiria
2007-04-07, 06:04 AM
I had some homebrew thoughts about dragonscale armor many moons ago.

Here is a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21074) to the thread. Sorry for the broken table. The board software change did it.

Dark
2007-04-07, 08:13 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Dang I hate the idea of those things!
Nothing wrong with animated shields. The problem is just that you're not taking the concept far enough. You need to get a dancing sword as well. And some ioun stones. And a magic bag that collects loot on its own. And some kind of floating light source.

If you do it right, you won't even have to go on adventure anymore -- just send your equipment!

NullAshton
2007-04-07, 08:32 AM
On the subject of dancing stuff... be a monk, take levels of kensai, enchant your fists with the dancing enchantment.

Dancing fists of fury!

bosssmiley
2007-04-07, 09:45 AM
Dragoncraft Armour, in the draconomicon. Resistance 5, -2 to armour check penalties, counts as one type lighter. It requires a special feat to make, and is nonmagical.

Excerpted in Dragon #332 IIRC. That article on dragoncraft magic items (dragonhide armours from leather to plate, dragonhorn flutes, boat of bones, etc.) was cool.

Arbitrarity
2007-04-07, 10:18 AM
No you fools, take an Everdancing weapon or 6! Duh!

I mean, dancing wears off, but everdancing... you can really send your equipment around then.

Piccamo
2007-04-07, 10:57 AM
Or ask your DM to allow something that gives a shield bonus to your ac - maybe the same price as bracers of armour since shield and armour bonuses seem to be considered to be roughly equivalent.
You hate the concept of Animated Shields yet you don't mind bracers of shield?

Ikkitosen
2007-04-07, 12:07 PM
You hate the concept of Animated Shields yet you don't mind bracers of shield?

Absolutely, if priced correctly. Animated shield flying around you = weak. Magic amulet projecting force field = ace.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-04-07, 03:06 PM
Get mountain plate. Made of thorium. Sure, it weighs a ridiculous amount and gives you spell failure of 120% and has a massive check penalty and requires your DM to allow something from one of the WoW D&D books, but the AC is 12 with DR 9/adamantine and it's all nonmagical. Finish off with a mithral metal tower shield. Then get adamantine spikes for everything.

(Then hire a team of ogres to help you move more than one foot per round.)

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-07, 04:08 PM
There's locking plate which gives you an AC bonus if you don't move more than 5' in a round. Good for those Dwarven Defenders.

levi
2007-04-07, 07:04 PM
There's dwarven stone armor in the A&EG (3.0 I know, but armor changed how in 3.5?), but it only grants +9 vs the +8 of fullplate.

One of my friend's house rules for dragon scale gives an energy resistance 10 based on dragon type, but nothing else. It's a pretty cool rule, even if it's never come up.

By the core RAW, dragonscale gives you nothing but masterwork. It can be of any armor type as long as the dragon is large enough. It takes twice as long to craft, but costs no more than masterwork armor.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-07, 08:46 PM
dragon armor is awesome, the problem is getting the scales. dragons are a bit stingy about being shaved.

Hario
2007-04-07, 09:55 PM
There's dwarven stone armor in the A&EG (3.0 I know, but armor changed how in 3.5?), but it only grants +9 vs the +8 of fullplate.

One of my friend's house rules for dragon scale gives an energy resistance 10 based on dragon type, but nothing else. It's a pretty cool rule, even if it's never come up.

By the core RAW, dragonscale gives you nothing but masterwork. It can be of any armor type as long as the dragon is large enough. It takes twice as long to craft, but costs no more than masterwork armor. In the Quintessencial Fighter it IS a masterwork armor with a +10 AC, is medium and gives you resistance 10 to the type of element the dragon uses. What I'd like to know is if its been updated, also I don't care if I move 5' a round, I'm going to have the travel domain, which means dimension door and teleport, when I need to I can just ride a horse (oh poor horse I hope your max load is lower than 3k lbs ;P

UglyPanda
2007-04-07, 10:07 PM
Quintessential Fighter is a third-party book, so you won't find a WotC version of most of the stuff in it. You should also speak with your DM before using anything from it because third-party books are often overpowered or go against established canon.

So to answer your question, a quick look at the mongoose publishing website reveals no lists of anything to assist you in finding an updated version of what you're looking for. Most likely, it hasn't been updated at all as there is no updated Quintessential Fighter.

Matthew
2007-04-09, 11:21 AM
Absolutely, if priced correctly. Animated shield flying around you = weak. Magic amulet projecting force field = ace.
Exactly. Animated Shields are as offensive to the senses as Darkwood Tower Shields used in Melee...

lordmarcoos
2007-04-09, 08:49 PM
I've been wondering if I could homebrew animated shields to be weaker than normal shields, but have them useable by anyone, regardless of proficiency. Maybe make them require a successful use magic device check or spellcraft or something to have them keep it active every round as a free action, if it fails then the shield just slowly circles them, floating along it's cylindrical path. Id also change the fluff of them, have the shields look like sigils or wards imprinted on intricate, gem encrusted rare metals. They'd basically just replace the mage's shield spell at higher wealths, and could be used by kings and noblemen to protect themselves while on travel, without having to carry around a barbarous and unfashionable actual shield. Then the nobles would all have them, and spend ludicrous amounts of money making sure their magic shield looks as up-to-date as possible.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-10, 04:24 PM
Dragonskin armor seems ridiculously cheap and useless for the fact it's crafted out of a freakin dragon. For a suit of medium dragon plate, you need a colossal dragon. 1 colossal dragon = 1 medium suit of dragon plate. For 1600 gp. A colossal dragon.

Maybe they shed their skin or something.

Amiria
2007-04-10, 05:31 PM
I always found this rule somewhat silly and exaggerated myself. In my oulde thread to which I gave a link earlier here I wrote this in post #23 (homebrew of course):

On a sidenote, I think that I would lower the size requirements for dead dragons that are made into armor a bit. 2 size categories larger for full plate or breastplate and 1 size category larger for "studded leather".

Dhavaer
2007-04-11, 01:06 AM
I was reading the Draconomicon, and noticed that a dragoncraft cloak weighs as much as a suit of hide armour. That's a 25 pound cloak.

Raum
2007-04-11, 07:59 AM
Yeah, sometimes I wonder if the writers actually read their prose or if they're just standing back and admiring it. We all know they don't play test.